Is this show as good as everyone says it is or is it overrated? Basically, is it worth watching 100+ episodes for this?

Is this show as good as everyone says it is or is it overrated? Basically, is it worth watching 100+ episodes for this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eV_BLcWzpA4
kinofthestars.heavenforum.org/t128-legend-of-galactic-heroes-pc-game
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Watch a few episodes and find out.

>a few

LOGH gets better around ep30

Good, a total 150 episodes aren't enough.

Nope. Don't fall for the meme. It's one of those shows where you have to watch over 100+ episodes for it to get better. It tries to be smart and imitates a political drama but fails miserably.

The last season is the worst though. It gets good about halfway through s1.

watch the prologue movie and you will have a good idea

It's overrated but it's still great and definitely worth watching. It feels like a history book and there's a lot of details and effort put into world-building. There really isn't anything quite like it in Anime.

You do realize there's a pilot prologue movie right? Watch that and decide from there.

Better question.

Should I watch this in release order or chronological order?

Release order, without a doubt.

You might not get hooked if you start with the weaker material.

Chronological spoils shit, so go with release irder

It's overrated but still amazing in my eyes, though for different reasons than you might think.

But will it make sense storywise by not going chronologically?

Oh fair enough.

So Movie 1 -> Movie 2 -> 110 OVAs -> Prequels > Golden Wings?

Yes.

There is some minor overlap and contradiction between Movie 2 and the beginning of the OVA.

Nothing serious like
>_____ dies in the movie
>_____ lives in the OVA
It's more like
>_____ dies like this in the movie
>_____ dies like that in the OVA

Nothing to worry about, I'm just informing you now so that you're not surprised or confused when you reach that point.

Fair enough, cheers.

Any specific order for the prequels and golden wings after movies and ovas?

>yellow subs
Why

I don't think it matters. Once you reach that point, go with whatever feels right to you.

Wht don't you find it yourself instead of making a thread, faggot.

Yellow subs are for when a character is talking.
White subs are for when a character is thinking.
Blue subs are for when the narrator (actually a distant future historian) is explaining these momentous events.

It's part of the charm.

Why not do what every single sane sub is doing?
White for character talking
White italics for thinking
Subs on top for narration

Why are you asking me? I didn't sub it.

I'm aware, but you made it sound like you were defending that idiocy when it's not the standard and it's completely retarded considering a better alternative exists.
I'll have to batch extract the subs and write a script to batch restyle them.

When was this "standard" of yours standardized?

Literally every single anime I watched since mid 00s has been using the white-only bottom/italics/top standard.

>since mid 00s

You do know LoGH is older than that, right?

I found it similar to a western show
Basically Politic lesson 101 for normie who overslept in class

I do, I'm saying that even old anime that I watched the subs of in the 00s and later had the modern sub standard.

I love that show.
Id recommend you give it a try at least, it might not be for you, but it's still worth it to take a look at it.

>Terraism = terrorism
>Faulty german/english grammar

Woah so this is the power of the smartest anime ever made.

>"ITS NOT SHIT, IT GETS GOOD 12 HOURS IN"

When will you people realize that this reasoning does not help whatsoever?

>da villain's name is De Villier
Makes me think, really.

It legitimately gets good in the very first "episode" provided you start with the movie which is literally the pilot for the series and the series can't be properly enjoyed without watching it first.
If you don't like it after the movie, you won't like the series either.

I can't speak for anybody else, but personally I liked LoGH after 3 episodes and I loved it after 7 episodes.

>end of episode 7
>thousands of people die in an instant
>thousands more celebrate their deaths
>except Yang, who is ashamed of every death that he's responsible for
That's when I decided that he's, dare I say it, /myguy/

LoGH is literally Star Wars but weeber.

I never see anybody in Star Wars feel bad about all the people killed on the other side.

Why do you take that user opinion like some sort of fact?

I was hooked with the series since the third episode.

Find out for yourself you fucking imbecile.

I agree with by the way.

These kind of threads are pure cancer, OP faggot asks is X worth it? people post the same answers like"it takes off at X episode" and the cycle continues.

While LotGH is obviously a lot more humane and with shades of grey, you can't deny that Star Wars was very obviously the main inspiration for the series.

Besides it's not like Star Wars was original to begin with, considering George Lucas never hid the fact that Seven Samurai BUT IN SPACE AND ON BIGGER SCALE was the entire base concept for Star Wars to begin with.

>So Movie 1 -> Movie 2 -> 110 OVAs -> Prequels > Golden Wings?

Golden Wings is the worst (and only bad) thing about the series. You don't want it to be the last thing you watch.

I would suggest you avoid watching it, If you have OCD and need to finish everything then watch it in the middle of the main series. Like after the 51 episode. Between season 2 and 3. You will forget about it more easily.

Except it doesn't have magic or aliens in it.
And space ships don't fight like they were 19th century galleons. Instead they fight like 19th century line infantry

I have high tolerance for shit, after all I watch Dragon Ball Super weekly, but I'll take your advice on not leaving it for last. I'll just watch it before prequels, definitely not going to do it in middle of the series though.

>best boy killed not by his rival but by some random smuck

Dropped it there 0/10.

>19th century galleons
I sure hope you don't imply that being a bad thing, because I fucking love naval warfare of 17-19th century period.

Depends. Were you implying that taking inspiration from Star Wars is a bad thing?

Nope, I was just pointing out that things taking inspiration from other great things doesn't make them bad. I have no problems with Star Wars being conceptually inspired by Seven Samurai and I have no problem with LotGH being conceptually inspired by Star Wars.

My problems arise only when inspiration turns into a blatant ripoff, see Magnificent Seven, Hollywood version of GitS, Star Trek movie reboot, The Farce Awakens and so on.

This. It's literary by anime standards but if you're big into history you'll probably be disappointed.

It's overrated but still good. It feels more like a book than an anime.
The characters are top tier

>It feels more like a book than an anime.
Because it is.
The source material is a series of books and it's not an anime, but rather a very long running series of OVAs that is more or less a word-for-word, line-by-line adaptation of the books.

It probably feels like a book because it started off as one.

Reminder that they are bringing the books to west and 3 out of 10 are already translated and available.

>more or less a word-for-word, line-by-line adaptation of the books.
Less.

It's one of the closeset adaptations possible. What material wasn't adapted initially later made it into the prequel series.
I don't think there's a more autistic adaptation in terms of general faithfulness to source material that spans similar length.

As a person who has watched the anime and read 3 of the books, im calling you out on that.

There are plenty of differences in OVA when compared to book.
>Dustys first mention is in book 2 and his first lines are in book 3
>Castrop rebellion is put down by Kircheis in space combat against Castrops fleet, not in a zephyr particles blowing up defense satellites way
>No Yang, Jessica, Jean love triangle, that one episode where Yang visits Jessicas home town never occurs

And in second book they gave us some details we didnt see in anime, like after Lippstadt war troops under nobles forcing their noble officers to do shit like fight against one another armed with dinner knifes, forcing them to airlocks and letting them outside or like in one case, just wasting a fucker when he came upon troopers looting valuables.
Also the way Braunshweig died was a tiny bit different, he was forced by two burly guys to sit on a chair and Ansbach forced poison down his throat pretty much the same way he did in anime.

Also they added stuff from gaiden books into the main OVA, like Kloppstop incident and Benemunde incident.

I wish someone would fantranslate the PC games.
At the very least the 2008 game.

youtube.com/watch?v=eV_BLcWzpA4

Based Ansbach, loyal to nothing but the dynasty itself.

Here's all the help i can give you.

Post above yours.

This helps immensely actually. But I wish someone would fuckin translate this game because it looks amazing.
An actual fucking Japanese PC-exclusive and RTS with grand strategy elements to boot.

Literally the only other PC games from Nippon that are even remotely similar conceptually are Romance of Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition but both of those are held back by being multiplats with consoles.

Oh and one more thing i just remembered, the way Littenheim dies is also a bit different.
He is sitting in his office downing 10th bottle of liquor when a ragged trooper carrying half of another man on his back arrives there, guards try to stop him but the man just flings the other guys half at Marquis and says the line he says in anime.
Stuff happens after that pretty much the same way it happened in anime, but the thing he was carrying with him was not a bomb (not a traditional one at least) but a seffle particle generator, so the entire room got scorched the moment the guards fired at him.

I began writing that post before the other one appeared.

Dem digits, two different posters, same get.
It deserves this:

kinofthestars.heavenforum.org/t128-legend-of-galactic-heroes-pc-game

A much more indepth translation guide.

Empire admirals > FPA Admirals

It's overrated, but it's still my favorite anime. Absolutely worth watching but not "so good it invalidates every other show".

>FPA admirals
>lower-class regular joes who joke and tease each other and have fun
>Empire admirals
>upper-class aristocrats who circlejerk over how dignified they are and how much they """respect""" each other
FPA all day erry day.

>Upper-class aristocrats
But Reinhard's admirals were born commoners or from a family of low nobility. The only one i can think is from a high noble family was probably Reuenthal but i don't really remember if this is true or not

Low nobility is still nobility.

I think Mittermeyer is the only admiral that's explicitly underclass. He's their "token" commoner.

>Low nobility is still nobility.
Fahrenheit's literally so poor he joined the military just so he can feed himself eventhough he was a noble.

Also, other than Mittermeyer who else are the ones born commoner? The ones without 'von' in their name?

I honestly had some trouble recognizing Mittermeyer and Reuental in this image.