Ergo Proxy

Okay, so I'm 12 episodes in and I don't get the appeal of this show, people always praise it but there is really nothing that that captivates me or makes me want to keep on watching.
Did anybody feel the same?

raison d'ĂȘtre

are you sure you've found your raison d'ĂȘtre?

I enjoyed it

Think of it more like poetry and less like a story told. If that's not your thing its cool tho.

This is probably the best way to explain it.

Right. I heard that the story isn't that important before watching EP and thus started looking for deeper motifs or metaphores but it's just entry level philosophy that is also explained to you by the show itself.

>I think therefore I am
>Why are we here?
>Who am I? What shapes me as a person, memories or deeds?

I heard people say that it treats the audience more like adults than other anime but I felt like everything (except the story but that's because stuff is revealed in fragments) is pretty obvious and easy to figure out from the get go.

Am I just too stupid and missing something?

watch something genuinely stimulating instead, like Texhnolyze

or if you feel particularly ambitious then proceed to Memories and Angel's Egg

Am I the only one who found the first two episodes absolutely god-like, and then the show goes to shit as soon as they go one their episodic adventures? I thought everything was going to take place in the dome, and the first two episodes sets up so much mystery that get either glossed over or hurriedly explained towards the end. Its still good, but lost so much potential towards the end when it devolves to outrageous Stand battles

well, yea, its not mad complicated, but i don't think its a plainly exposed as most anime. I enjoyed it because it does not give ready answers and just shows the questions and not much of how the protagonist resolves it.

It could have been better, some stuff makes it more obscure than it should storywise. I love some parts tho so that's that.

Re-l is hot. That's it.
The rest of the show is basic philosophy babble wrapped in pointless nonsense.

I want to fuck pino

I think too much of the "lore" is hidden or briefly mentioned in the game show episode. For example: the Cogito virus and the AutoReivs going nuts is set up as being important both to the plot and the themes. But then its revealed that it was all part of the old human's keikaku for when they return to earth. And the thematic relevance is lost because Re-L and Vince aren't in Romdeau, and Iggy's death was too heavy-handed.

Game show episode best episode.

>Question: "What song is this?"
>immediately cut to the OP

Shit was cash

WAKE ME UP INSIDE

is a piece to study, ergo proxy is a master piece

Shallow, some cool set pieces but the dialogue sucks, story is not that great, it's rather pretentious because it tries hard to appear deep, dark and mature even when it can be summed up as entry-level philosophy then action to cover up the writers lack of something. It's pretty and well-drawn, story could be have been less basic. Technolyze as is often brought up, is far better about showing its ideas but does pay for it with being slightly boring at times

The OP is good, but thats about it

>Technolyze

Any other recommendations? I added Technolyze, Memories and Angels Egg to my watch list so far.

I've already seen Serial Experiments Lane, which I liked a good bit.

Drop it. I made it to episode 20-something and realized how much of my time I wasted. It's mediocre and not worth your time.

It's pro-religious garbage. The fact that Sup Forums isn't red pilled on the evils of religion and their radical religious followers just demonstrates their lack of awareness, let alone taste.

Hanbei renmei, I believe was directed by the dude who did SEL and Texh. Interesting and I feel if you're looking for less to be given to the viewer it's worth it, can be kinda boring. That'd be following more if you'd want themes, and concepts to be a little more open ended.
If you're looking for robot/sci-fi themed ones, the original Ghost in the Shell Manga is good, movie less so.

Fuck off with your crossboarding shit. It's a bad anime, that's all.

Religion is pretty much necessary for a stable society.

I liked the atmosphere after the hovering boat thing adventure started. Also the semi-mindfuck towards the end of the series.

The gods of today are much different than the gods of old.

Most americans worship the State, for example.

Religion or distraction is needed for a stable proletariats and precariats. The intelligentsia don't need it. So historically I think it was necessary, modern times does not need it as much

pure ideology

>Did anybody feel the same?
I watched it all and yes I agree with you, it's a bad anime overall

Honestly had that feelings for the first half of the show. Made it through thanks to iron will and hearsay people told me about the series. Second half was getting better and better with each episode though as newer proxies where being discovered.

Thought it would be sci-fi cyberpunk city detective story but got futuristic reinterpretation of Argonauts/Oddysey. Feel it

>just entry level philosophy that is also explained to you by the show itself.

Exactly. As someone who does read actual philosophy, the dumbed down info dumps were really boring to get through. I can't possibly see it playing any better with the average viewer, because it presents the material in such a boring and explicit manner. Zero subtlety.

I'm with you and OP. Dunno why this is so praised. It was shitty for me to the levels of a mediocre ecchi anime which doesn't entertain or even excite the audience.

This is a Christian image board therefore you're encouraged to convert or leave.

Nuh uh, jesus said I can do whatever I want as long as I say sorry later.

He did not but it isn't my job to judge you.

The first few episodes are good, the rest (bar the one where Rilu studies Vincent and the attraction park one) are not really good.

Biggest anime regret.

It literally ends with the male lead saying "I'm the Ergo Proxy!" with the biggest smug ever.

It's a masterpiece.

cyberpunk isn't for everyone. especially in this day in age where anything trying to seem a little bit intellectually forward is seen as pretentious and edgy and instantly written off. even for cyberpunk it's whatever, idk I'd have to rewatch it since I forgot the details. If you're looking for more cyberpunk you can watch Texnolyze if you wanna be depressed and Serial Experiments Lain if you wanna be confused. And ofc there's gits.

this.

it's fun to watch, look at, and "experience" but you're not really gonna be taking away much from it by the end.