Why does animation like this look uncanny to a layman, but appealing to people who know the craft?

Why does animation like this look uncanny to a layman, but appealing to people who know the craft?

sakugabooru.com/data/786f4b05a982235816a1d2fca8532298.webm

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iffBJoGyDhQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>uncanny
Because most of the time there isn't that much body language in anime.
>appealing
Because most of the time there isn't that much body language in anime.

>Why does animation like this look uncanny to a layman
Because no real human being fidgets this goddamn much under any normal circumstances
>but appealing to people who know the craft?
Because it's more interesting than a scene consisting of nothing but single images for 20 seconds where the only thing animated is a mouth flap.

Because Shinbo is a master craftsman.

Im not sure where im supposed to focus on and I dont perceive that as normal human bodylanguage.

There is such thing as too much movement.
Especially in animation.
It might be good in terms of craft and technicality, but that does not necessarily make it good in other regards.

Exactly.
It isn't often a problem in animation since in order to cut costs, movement (if there is any) is kept minimal outside of the focus of the shot.
In film however it is a constant issue, you do not want a frame to be too busy otherwise there will be no focus for the viewer who will lose concentration and "check out" of the scene.
So basically, this is technical wankery for its own sake with shitty direction.
Sure you can compliment the animation all you want but it does not serve any purpose here other than being animated with precision to the detriment of everything else because the animator was in charge.

>that instant-mirroring of the hair between 20s and 22s

I don't know what this is, but it looks pretty

That scene was animated by Yoshinari, Shinbo just did the direction for the first season.

Uncanny to a layman because people are used to anime being produced as cheap as possible and with like only one character in a frame making movement at a time. Appealing to people who know the craft because they know what a pain in the ass it is to draw so many frames with so many different movement points sequentially across them.

youtube.com/watch?v=iffBJoGyDhQ

It looks like trash but it's an interesting case study.

literally fucking forced animation

>shitty CG vid unrelated.

So in S1, they had a budget surplus because of their sponsorship and didn't know what to do with it because they still didn't know what they wanted the show to be.
So it just ended up going places in an attempt to find a niche.

>appealing to people who know the craft

>super inefficient
>unnatural-looking = poor character acting
>poor use of timing which is crucial in animation

Koh is garbage. There's a reason so many people find his work off-putting. You don't need to be a master animator or know the struggles of animation to find it appealing. Look at people who are actually good at animating in 1's and realism. His drawings also suck, and he uses weird pillowshading in his cuts. At least all of these weird decisions make his stuff unique.

It looks shit and unnatural, but took a lot of effort. Kind of like Hand Shakers this season.

They should've saved some of that surplus to get rid of all the QUALITY in StrikerS.

Might as well just throw that money off of a bridge if they were to waste it like that.

Do these people not know what a hair brush is?

That would have been nice. I think StrikerS even had a bigger budget but was strung more tightly due to being two-cour.

>That would have been nice.
No it wouldn't. StrikerS shouldn't even exist in the first place.

This isn't even a Nanoha thread. This thread is about animation. Go to bed, you were up for almost 30 hours shitposting in the last Nanoha thread.

And? The posts I was replying to were discussing StrikerS and I gave my opinion on their suggestions. StrikerS was, from top to bottom, a disaster and throwing more money at it wouldn't have improved it any.

Speaking of, I suggest you go to bed. You were up for almost 30 hours defending bad shows in the last Nanoha thread.

How do I get good at knowing what good animation is?

Why?

I guess you'd have to look for fluidity and body movement. That's the common link between all the stuff I see praised as good animation.

Because it's trash. Half of the run is pointless, the new characters all suck, the new characters are pointless as well because the old guard takes center stage by the end, the plot is absolutely riddled with problems and it's in general an insane downgrade from A's and even S1.

They should have just made A's 2. Without having their heads so far up their ass that they thought Erio and Caro were a good idea (among a shitload of other things), it's certain that it would have been a better product.

I wouldn't say fluidity is all that relevant, Disney and Golden Era western 2D animation in general had dozen of animators work on a single scene at any given time. Animating in 1s has more to do with budget, time and quantity of animators than actual technical prowess.