CONSUMER NOTICE: INTERNET-CONNECTED TOYS COULD PRESENT PRIVACY AND CONTACT CONCERNS FOR CHILDREN

What did the FBI mean by this?
>ic3.gov/media/2017/170717.aspx
>archive.is/LSX4q#selection-89.165-89.918

Why would "children's toys" be a real "security threat"? Doesn't this seem like the PSA has undertones? It was released directly after Peter Strzok was fired... And it details how "like laptops, and any device with cameras, toys can tattletale on your children"

>FBI Warns Parents About The Dangers Of Connected Smart Toys
forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2017/07/18/fbi-warns-parents-about-the-dangers-of-connected-smart-toys/#7fefb6ef39e6

>Inside the FBI: Internet-Connected Toys Pose Security Risks
fbi.gov/audio-repository/inside-podcast-internet-connected-toys-081017.mp3/view
archive.is/rlSP9

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webkinz
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't worry about it goyim, don't get your smart panties in a twist.

This isn't exactly a revelation, IoT devices are notoriously bad about security and a lot of the toys have microphones or cameras so they can react to the kids, but they are just as useful to a person who might want to hack them as a laptop camera/microphone. Even worse, since these types of devices are intended to be used by kids without as much direct supervision by an adult, they are a great target for local predators who can use them to figure out when an adult may not be watching. Like anything you need to make a determination of whether the risks are worth it based on your risk tolerance.

i remember reading about some furby type thing that someone hacked and was using it to tell the kid that owned it to kill their parents

>Why would "children's toys" be a real "security threat"?
Because they do. There have been a few stories of these being hacked and bad shit happens like then there's also the issue of them basically being shitty excuses for child-targeted datamining.

not politics, OP is stupid

KYS, this was released literally 4 days after Mueller hired Strzok, and talks about "watching out for all toys" if you can't recognize deep-signals then you are STUPID.

tfw we'll never be free

Well its obvious what it means. These things are the tools of the CIA, who are the arm of pedo faggots. These toys track. Take pictures. Record voices. Knowing what you know, would you want your kid to have one? I mean we all know how Google cares. Right?

i bought a new washing machine a couple weeks ago. i just picked one that was on sale from a website that lets me use paypal. found out it's connected to my wi-fi somehow and has been phoning home everyday for some reason. why in the fuck does my washing maching have wi-fi?

the idea of internet of things is that its a botnet in every device so they can feed their AI with as much data as possible to better control people

In theory, so it can get firmware updates or something. The problem is a lot of this IoT stuff has really bad security or none at all. Might not matter for your washing machine, but for anything that has a microphone or camera in it, it's a spy in your house.

A security podcast (Security Now) talked about baby video monitors a while back. They work over the net, so you can watch your kid from anywhere through their web site. With one typical brand, you see through your camera by putting an 8-character ID (like the IDs here) on your camera into a URL. That's all. No password or anything, because that would be too much trouble.
Someone discovered it because he returned one to the store, and then a couple weeks later he happened to try the same URL again, and was watching someone else's baby -- the next purchaser of the camera.
Apparently that's pretty typical, because they're cheap consumer crap and they don't want to deal with the kind of customer service there would be if people had to sign up for a login or have security keys. So they make it super simple.

The terrifying thing is that it didn't connect to my actual home network, but rather the ad hoc xfinity network that comcast modems automatically set up. It literally searches for a way online all by itself. Apparently you can DL "custom" wash cycles, and control the washer from your phone. These are the features I'm presented with upon investigating my surprise smart washer. I bet there is a mic in there someplace. i should probably take it apart and kill the wi-fi adapter.

It means I could hack into the shitty toy you bought for you kid and start talking to them remotely.

It's been happening for years retard.

They're afraid Russians/hackers will discover their massive spying program and exploit it for themselves.

Pedo spy toys being used by sickos

People were hacking into IP cameras (by hacking I mean they logged into cameras with the default credentials) and started making CP with it.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webkinz

Kinda weird

>you have to be a tech-savvy child molester for this to be a risk
it's a niche market