Boku No Hero Academia (BNHA)

On the subject of My Hero Academia, the story seemed to be set up around the idea of Midoriya, a minority in the world where super powered individuals, would become a hero without a superpower. How much potential was lost from the series with the decision to give Midoriya a Quirk?

None, he couldn't compete before.

You got to understand that "quirk" translates to "individuality", and that the oneshot MHA is based off is in a world where everyone can use "quirks" because "quirks" are just "heroic items."

The issue is that the Deku of the one shot, Jack, is anemic, and tends to vomit when over-exerting himself - so he didn't qualify for a hero's license.

It would have been garbage as all his battles would have more plot armor than Touma

His ability just sort of works when it wants to. If he succeeds without the need to have full control,
I.E. his first battle against Bakugou, then he is benefitting from plot armor because the writer is writing a scenario where he benefits anyway.

>I.E. his first battle against Bakugou, then he is benefitting from plot armor because the writer is writing a scenario where he benefits anyway.

There was nothing BS about that, Deku knew he couldn't beat Bakagou 1v1 so he relied on Ochako to win. Unless you're saying the "team battle" thing was a contrivance.

>His ability just sort of works when it wants to.
No it doesn't.. There's a set prerequisite to how OfA works if he goes %100 he injures himself always because he can't take the recoil hence why he's been training himself constantly to be able to contain it.
>If he succeeds without the need to have full control,
Every time Deku goes 100% he injuries himself.
>I.E. his first battle against Bakugou,
Deku won because he accomplished his objective since he was never aiming to fight Bakugou in a one on one fight because he knew he wouldn't have won by straight up fighting with him.

I think it'd be cool if they introduced a quirkless villain that's an actual threat. He'd serve as a good juxtaposition for Deku.

It's pretty fucking obvious he was meant to have a power from the start.

Yeah I'm wondering if we will get a new character (other than mei) whose quirk is unrelated to how they fight

The whole point is that midoriya is the only one who got his quirk through his own efforts. He wasn't born with it like everyone else, so he's still technically a minority. Read the manga yourself next time.

>The whole point is that midoriya is the only one who got his quirk through his own efforts.
Everyone who gets OFA gets it through their own effort. Nana and Toshinori both had to get ripped to get it. Toshinori literally was Deku save that he got his OFA quirk a year AFTER he entered the Academia

>random mook opens fire on some heroes
>nobody knows what to do
Glorious

They already did the villain with a gun thing.

you mean pic related from the eight percepts of phaggotry?

no, he's talking about the guy with the smoke quirk

Jobbers are so weird sometimes. Here's hoping Mustard gets fan art if at all.

It feels like it might go for a predictable Nonpowered cape story but then right now it's sort of a cliched "learn my powers" story.
Hiro could probably make it work but I don't really feel like it's a great loss as is.
Maybe he means the first bit of the battle where Deku was giving him the business.

>How much potential was lost from the series with the decision to give Midoriya a Quirk?
In the future mankind will tell stories of The Lost Potential that is born of this decision.

Stain was almost this. If his quirk was rewritten as a poison, I think his character and motives overall would've improved as well.

The lost potential didn't stem from giving Midoriya a quirk, though? If Midoriya had enough physical strength or fighting prowess from the get-go, he'd have at least been roughly on par with Tooru, Ojiro, or Mineta.

Either way, this story would be lacking some of its biggest driving factors: All Might's character arc, Midoriya's rivalries, and All for One.

tl;dr You're wrong.

This, the manga couldn't have advanced so far before becoming completely ridiculous and be cancelled in a short time.

pretty much
his quirk immobilized people but outside of that he was an amazing fighter

The point was that his being a hero has nothing to do with his power. It's who he is that makes him a hero, and therefore worthy of great power.

All-Might was the best superhero because he was the strongest. It was because he was a hero first, and super later.