I've noticed a lot of anime and manga has a general disdain for firearms. I mean not all do, but a lot do...

I've noticed a lot of anime and manga has a general disdain for firearms. I mean not all do, but a lot do. It's usually some swordsman, who can cut guns and bullets in half. Where does this come from? !s there any western or cowboy anime and mangas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE
youtube.com/watch?v=ppe4O1H4tIw
youtube.com/watch?v=sQbCMh4GYZo
youtube.com/watch?v=7_8BzXING-A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Japanese have always felt a sort of inferiority complex with their relationship with the west so this is how they make up for it. Americans are usually portrayed as arrogant fools in anime. This is the only way the Japanese can get back at America without receiving another nuke.

Japanese love guns but they are like muh samurai blood and always ends up making ridiculous swords men. Checkout trigun or something similar to that.

>any western or cowboy anime
Why would you want that, when the entirety fucking western genre is a pastiche of Jidaigeki film?

As much shit as it gets, GATE is probably the best series when it comes to presenting guns vs. swords realistically.

There's plenty of other gun-centric anime, though a lot of it is older - Cowboy Bebop, Gunsmith Cats, Trigun, Outlaw Star, etc.

I get where you're coming from but that's only half true, the western genre was an established thing long before the Japanese influences. It was only in the Eastwood era of Spaghetti Westerns (admittedly the best of the genre) that Kurosawa and his ilk really started appearing.

You know, come to think of it, Clint himself has admitted to drawing a lot of inspiration from Mifune... does that make Clint Eastwood a chuuni weeb?

A weapon any nigger holding sideways can use, or a weapon that takes discipline, talent and dedication to perfect.
Which one is more interesting to base an story on?

No it's because cutting bullets with swords is cool

I advocate this view.

Pretty sure Japan didn't have guns until the Dutch or some other Euro nation came over and gave them to them, so it's probably just a national pride thing

youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE

Even though it's about vidya rather than anime, the principles are still applicable.

Basically the gun is something with a fixed powerlevel that anybody can learn to use, whereas the sword hurts more the harder you swing and can be seen as is an extension of the self and a channel for one's inner power which can rise as high as you like.

Because some guy standing there shooting a gun doesnt make for a cool scene.

I tip my four thousand times folded fedora made of 100% Japanese fabric and bought in Shinjuku to you.

Unless your /k/
These anons are right guns can be boring to most. If you want guns though check out Ghost in The Shell.

During WW2 japanese soldiers charged against machine guns using fucking bayonets.
They most likely still don't know how guns work.

Fuck off, when firearms were introced in japan they copied that shit and produced them like hotcakes because it was so good

youtube.com/watch?v=ppe4O1H4tIw

It's just because it's cool

Yeah but that was all edgy magic gun bullshit.

I'm only aware of two cowboy/western manga, Peacemaker and Green Blood. They are both decent.

because a swordsman cutting a bullet out of the air is way cooler than a dude just getting shot

same way a dude who could shoot another dude's bullets out of the air is cooler than a dude just getting shot

time crisis was the fucking bomb yo

if you want realism, go watch golf

All the best westerns are rip-off of samurai films.

Swordsmanship is inherently less creatively bankrupt than gunslingers.

But the Tanegashima is probably the most Japanese weapon of them all, because it's the embodiment of collectivist ideology.

Portuguese iirc.

youtube.com/watch?v=sQbCMh4GYZo

Peacemaker

Green Blood

They got firearms from China hundreds of years before some filthy gweilo gaijins set foot on their land.
Gunpowder was invented in Ching-chong China.
Ironically the Japs got to shoot shit up when Yuropeens were still flailing swords.
Have you never seen Mononoke Hime you buffoon?
What you mean is modern weapons like repeaters, revolvers, gatling guns etc and even then they got those from Amerifatskis and not Europeenors.

Gun Blaze West

Desert Punk (post apocalyptic)

Trigun (sci-fi)

Gun Frontier

>A weapon any nigger holding sideways can use
A gun is an effective, simple to use weapon that can be employed but damn near anyone. I will concede that at short range even brain dead Jamal can use it to moderate effect. But there is a great deal of skill and discipline to accurately hit long range targets with any semblance of repeat ability.

Emerald

It's just swords are considered cooler. You also see swords being used more often than spears, even though historically spears saw more use in Japan itself from peasants to the samurai class.

Teriyaki Western

What most people don't understand about guns is that they're more of a symbolic weapon, you don't want to fire a gun, even when you are pointing it at someone, because the purpose of a gun in interpersonal conflict is deterrence.

And such a thing is extremely boring to watch.

Western Shotgun (also known as Blazin' Barrels)

Any mongoloid can pick up a gun and kill someone.

When it's melee v melee, there's usually more of an actual fight taking place. (Instead of a two second execution.)

I thought that one is Manhwa?
Also Wyatt Earp got a manga for himself, single volume though

It's because nobunaga really liked guns and used them to own everyone else, since he pissed people off so hard that he's literally the devil in most of his fictional apperances it makes sense that they're a bit touchy about this and need lots of swordwank instead

>whereas the sword hurts more the harder you swing and can be seen as is an extension of the self and a channel for one's inner power
Which makes no fucking sense because swords, especially japanese ones, are rather fragile and break easily.

If you're an anime superhuman that can hit so hard you can genuinely do more damage than a bullet you should also just smash the sword on impact unless you have some magic technique to harden it (which only some series actually bother with, and could also apply to guns to magically make them more powerful too)

instead of inventing better weapons, japan decided to get better at their outdated weapons

they are still mad about it

It's simply easier for hack writers to show how awesome at fighting their character is with a sword

>Holy shit, he cut a thing most people can't jesus christ

that's it, that's all you have to do

in order to make guns cool you need to actually know something about weapons and make a series like gunsmith cats or noir

As true as this may be, a skilled infantryman will utterly wreck anyone less experienced, just like any form of combat.

Melee is more involved and more of an actual fight though as opposed to getting someone down sights and firing, I agree.

That is taking into account the huge amount of tactics and maneuvers it would take between skilled infantry combatants. It would look more like a slowed down battle of wits until the actual firefight where as in a melee you get all these different techniques and stamina as well as thinking on your feet comes into play more quickly.

/thread

Guns are harder to portray. Being depicted as useless most of the time certainly doesn't encourage their use.

>huge amount of tactics and maneuvers
You mean whoever has a wall to hide behind
Dodging bullets doesn't actually work irl unless the gunwielder has a devastating case of parkinsons and ADHD.

>Dodging bullets doesn't actually work irl
Neither does cutting a bullet in half on reaction

irl melee combat isn't like dark souls or something, it's groups of people walking towards another group of people and poking them with pointy things

just like gun combat isn't like in a john woo film, but more like some guys sitting in a trench and occasionally looking or shooting out

Because of school shooters and lone wolves, showing a realistic weapon in tv is politically sensitive.

Basically, except for a few seconds at a time, combat is fucking boring

yes and the person who helped do that, Nobunaga, is considered a madman by half of Japan. The other half see him as a cute girl and use her along with Atoria and Alteria in their F/GO party

>yes and the person who helped do that, Nobunaga, is considered a madman by half of Japan. The other half see him as a cute girl and use her along with Atoria and Alteria in their F/GO party
Nice. I bet you can get some (You)s with that on some other board, Sup Forumsnons know too little about Japanese culture though.

>Holy shit, he hit a tiny thing most people can't from that distant in a flash, jesus christ
Here's your gun fix.
It's all the same shit.

But it's shitty and boring. Most people don't share your gun autism, deal with it.

Being noguns is bad enough, being noguns and a katanafag is a whole other level.

You can't expect much different from people like that.

What did he mean by this?

Except only one has the power to break through Kevlar. A katana is way too feeble to have any chance of breaking through kevlar, and that's considering that the guy didn't just shoot him while he was narutorunning up to him.
youtube.com/watch?v=7_8BzXING-A

>nobunaga
>madman
For what? He unified Japan and was betrayed at the end of his life.

Gun fights are really short and not as prolonged (and bullshit) as sword fights thats is why they are spammed more in animu.

Japs just have no respect for the dead man.

James shouldn't you be teaching English about now?

>anime based on niggers
fuck I'd take that when the other option is weeaboo sword shit anyday
wish we could get some new ideas

Because he was a madman. Guy killed a shitload of people, and not always in a very justified way

When will the eternal burger ever not be so insecure about himself in a Tibetan sketching forum?

t. nigga

>Dodging bullets doesn't actually work irl
Circumstantially it can, if the range is long enough and you're watching for the shooter's muzzle flash through an optic.

Youre completely ignoring anything Mech related

>youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE
re comments about japanese martial philosophy and quoting Edo period writer, it's like looking to victorian greco-roman wrestling for spartan martial philosophy.

The poetic philosophizing came from people who didn't actually fight battles.