Rurouni Kenshin Hokkaido Arc

>Jump Editor Sasaki Discusses New Rurouni Kenshin Manga in Subtitled Video

youtube.com/watch?v=b96YjQopWuw

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-10/jump-editor-sasaki-discusses-new-rurouni-kenshin-manga-in-subtitled-video/.113247

The new manga will have 5 arcs, and Kenshin is confirmed to return as the main protagonist.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mgAKj4FM-v8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't the protagonist that kid who picked up Shishio's sword?

For what purpose?

One of the things I like about Kenshin is that it feels very complete, any more is just annoying

He changed too much with his Embalming manga from the one-shot and it flopped. He needs work and money so he's going back to the one series of his that was successful.

Ashitaro? Nah, he was just the lead in the spinoff that acted as a prelude to this new arc. He'll probably be a major character in the upcoming story though.

Watsuki needs the money. The good news it that Hisashi Sasaki was the editor of Kenshin and is returning as the editor of this new arc. They'll ensure that Watsuki does this right.

Honestly, the best case scenario here is that it flops. If it somehow ends up being massively successful, the mangaka can never do another series ever again. They'll just keep asking for more RK.

I BRUSH AGAINST THE
FRECKLES THAT I HATED
SO MY LIFE GOES ON
AND I HEAVE A LITTLE SIGH FOR OYU

Call me when they animate the original with all arcs and no more slideshow fights.

Yeah, but if it flops he may never do anything at all anymore. Almost everything he's done since Kenshin flopped or got canned in the end. If a Kenshin series fails too that may be it for him as a mangaka.

I remember everyone getting fucking psyched because of a Kenshin remake, sticky and all here. Then all we got was the fucking Shin Kyoto ova.

These old mangakas really need to stop returning to their old stories, it's like that guy who keeps writing Onizuka stories even though people haven't given a shit for 15 years.

Well, Watsuki has tried making other new works but they just weren't as successful as Kenshin. Gun Blaze West was cancelled, Busou Renkin enjoyed limited success, and Embalming just never really took off.

I hope that the new Kenshin manga is successful and that it is good.

I honestly don't mind more Kenshin so long as it's good. If Watsuki can find a way to pull off a good sequel, then we'll be satisfied. He can always write new works later.

>implying Kenshin vs. Saito wasn't one of the best animated sword fights ever

youtube.com/watch?v=mgAKj4FM-v8

Didn't the story end because Kenshin had beaten all the demons from the pre meiji area, had dealt with all his shit from his past and had pushed himself so far that his body literally couldn't handle his swordstyle anymore?

You cant blame them since in most cases it's the only 'good' thing they did.

>Watsuki is getting active again
>SNK says they want to do a new Samurai Shodown
Watsuki Worked on Samurai Shodown

I think I know where this is going.

Money since all of his other works flopped, sad really.

Remember the non-canon OVA Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection that everyone fucking hated including Watsuki?

On paper, a story about a more aged Kenshin who's out of his prime who's thrust back into another adventure for one last time sounds good. It's just that Reflection had terrible execution and writing.

This could be Watsuki's way of doing a story like this right and erasing all traces of Reflection permanently.

Who knows? May we can also FINALLY see the Jinchuu arc get animated since they'd want to do anything to promote the new manga, which would in turn get animated too.

Why is Kenshin's seiyuu so shit

An FMA:B style remake of Kenshin would be dope

I want a kenshin story about Zenosuke's friend who makes bombs. Fuck, just anyone making bombs as a main character would be great. Maybe that's a touchy subject in Japan or something.

Why is your opinion so shit?

if kenshin is going to be the protagonist of this, how is he going to fight? megumi said at the end of the manga that his body had taken too much damage. that's one of the reasons he gave yahiko his sword, so he could rest.

if this new manga gives us a chance for an anime reboot, maybe it'll be worth it.

You mean Sanosuke. And Tsunan doesn't really seem very main character material.

If ANYONE deserves there own spinoff manga, it's THIS motherfucker right here.

I would LOVE to see an origin story of Hiko Seijuro and how he mastered Hiten Mitsurugi.

Kenshin gets a gun.

>and Embalming just never really took off.

Because it tossed out everything interesting from the oneshot, had a boring MC, and the first half is a slog that takes forever to get anywhere.

He seriously should have just followed John Doe in his quest to build a waifu.

Did kenshin technically "master" it? Seijuro's body didn't break eventually like kenshin's did.

He mastered it, it's just that he doesn't really have the shape/build for the style like his master did (Kenshin is a manlet) and using it strained his body.

It's not that Kenshin can't fight so much as he's no longer in his prime and can't fight as effectively as before due to all the strain on his body.

It's like how boxing or MMA champions eventually have to retire from the sport since they're no longer in their prime. They can still fight, but just not as effectively as they once could.

Kenshin's in that state. He can still fight, but he's not what he once was, so Megumi told him that he just shouldn't.

The story will move in a direction where Kenshin will have no choice but to take up his sword again.

Perhaps his son Kenji will be kidnapped by those remnants of Shishio's Army that we saw in Ashitaro's story, and he has to go out and rescue him.

This sounds like more the fault of a shitty editor if anything.

Successful or not the guy it's just a one hit wonder.

How about YOU get a gun and shoot yourself for coming up with such a stupid idea?

I wouldn't go that far. Buso Renkin, while not as successful, did sell pretty well.

Wasn't Last Blade mainly based on Rurouni Kenshin's designs?

Just a retcon. People will excuse anything.

Based on, but that was just SNK being kenshin fans. He didn't work directly with SNK until Samurai Shodown 5. Sadly that game was shit & the company was basically dead at that point.

>Creator of Trigun did a design too
>It was the worst character in the series history

I hate Kusoragedo so, so fucking much.

It's not a retcon. He and Yahiko sparred in the last chapter. Kenshin can still fight. He's just not what he once was.

I'm not the retard trying to revive a finished manga for a shtty cashgrab.

i would prefer if watsuki didn't go the kidnapping route. that's really over used. but then again, something detrimental does have to happen in order for kenshin to pick up his sword again so maybe kidnapping his son is the only way.

how much do you want to bet that even after saving his son, kenji vastly still prefers kaoru over kenshin lel.

Are both parts of the Ashitaro's story already out?

They came out months ago. Check the archive.

But you ARE the retard presenting dumb ideas like giving a gun to a character who refuses to kill.

yes. and i would recommend subscribing to shonen jump if you want to support the new manga. it's only 20 bucks for a yearly subscription.

It was a joke, Muhammad. Fucking chill.

They fucking cancelled Frankenstein because nips are tasteless faggots.

He doesn't need to do more Rurouni Kenshin. God damn.

It may be overused but it works when done effectively, and it's hard to think of many sensible scenarios where Kenshin has to take up his sword again aside from his son getting kidnapped.

>even after saving his son, kenji vastly still prefers kaoru over kenshin lel.
Kek. In all seriousness though, this could be a way for Kenji to better appreciate his father and develop his character along the way.

Maybe the new manga can start off with Kenshin as the main character, yet Kenji's character gets developed and he eventually replaces Kenshin as the main character like how Akira Toriyama originally planned for Gohan to take up Goku's mantle after the Cell saga in Dragon Ball Z yet was fucked over by his editors and fans.

I remember reading that Watsuki deciding against his final arc were his son Kenji was tots jelly over Yahiko getting Kenshin's sword and became a total asshole culimating in the antagonists of the arc.

I hope he uses that cause the idea has potential.

No. They cancelled it because the editors of Jump SQ fucked with Watsuki's original idea and turned it into a generic battle manga with a bland protagonist, so it did poorly.

For the new Kenshin manga, Watsuki's original editor and former Jump editor in chief Sasaki is back to edit the new manga.

The two have always been a great team, so I have high hopes for Kenshin's next story.

Watsuki seemed like such a chill dude from his commentary in RurouKen tankoubons. Shame his other mangas never took off.

I remember hearing that too. I'm glad he decided against doing that since it'd be a shitty motivation for Kenji.

Wasn't the strain of the Hiten Mitsurugi style through the years make Kenshin not be able to fight anymore?

I remember reading those too. I loved how Watsuki would constantly talk shit about himself and his art and writing. It was so endearing.

See

Thats why he's getting a gun

Oh shut up...

This reminds me I have to finish the manga

I ragequit once Kaoru died

Don't worry he'll use rubber bullets.

She doesn't die.

that actually sounds like a good idea. i wouldn't mind kenji replacing kenshin if this new arc developed kenji. watsuki could easily make a story where kenji has to prove himself worthy of the sakabato against yahiko's son.

I read somewhere Watsuki clashes a lot with editors in the same vein as Kubo.

Kubo has a downright disdain for editors and constantly shitalks them in interviews.

Well it makes sense for Watsuki and Kubo if they're dealing with shitty editors. They're just the kind of authors that don't like their editors hijacking their manga and pissing on all their ideas.

Watsuki and Sasaki understood each other, got along well, and made RuroKen as success while Watsuki's editor at SQ fucked him over with Embalming.

Kubo had a good editor to work with early on and during the Soul Society arc, but clashed with his new editor during the Hueco Mundo arc and was forced to drag out the Fake Karakura town arc even further.

By the final arc, so much bad blood had developed between Kubo and his new editor that he finally gave him the middle finger and stopped listening to him.

Bakuman addressed how Jump/Shueisha editors aren't always right and that there are cases where series and mangaka have suffered due to incompetent editors.

Pic related.

What kind of gun do you think he'll give Kenshin? I hope it's something period-appropriate and not too crazy. Maybe do a crossover chapter with Gun Blaze West characters too

Fuck you and your blasphemous words

Hijikata Gatotsu>Saito Gatotsu

>did sell pretty well.
No it didn't, it got cancelled after 10 volumes

Hopefully it's as good as Dragon Ball Super. The manga I mean.

He'd just stomp everyone and everything. He was massively overpowered

5 arcs? Seems like a lot but if it's good I'll be happy

fuck you

i kind of wish watsuki would give kenshin and kaoru a daughter. imagine a little girl with kaoru's hair and kenshin's eyes and she just adores kenshin. (since kenji doesn't) she would enjoy helping kenshin with the laundry and cooking. would be cute.

kenji being an annoying twat who hates his father isn't canon though

He can still fight after Enishi, all we know is that by the end, he can't, IIRC it was about a 5 year time skip. So he probably can go for another two more years in-story, enough time for a plausible story arc

Why are they making Kenshin fight again? Fuck man, this is the one MC I just want to rest. Don't fucking ruin that perfect ending. God damn it, I'm way too attached to these characters.

Yeah, but in the flashback Hiko laments that despite his strength that he cannot protect everyone, which could mean that he lost someone very close to him in his past despite how strong he'd become.

"It no longer surprises me. The smell of blood and the smell of white plums. It's a living hell where mankind is slaughtered by bandits. And it's also a hell where they are sold into slavery. Yes, it happens every day. In the past, and in the future. My sword is guided by the teachings of Hiten Mitsurugi. Yet, too often, I cannot use it to save even one person's life. Not one living soul. The only thing I can do is bury the corpses."

If they make an arc centered on Hiko's past and address this as well as how he was forced to kill his master to complete his training of Hiten Mitsurugi, then it would make for a very compelling story.

Kenshin remains as the MC is fine by me, but Watsuki need to add more characters so his 2nd take of RK would look fresh

I for one would like to see another Hiten Mitsuruugi practitioner, the one who is about as good as Hiko but is working for the government (maybe a kempeitai like Saito, prolly his peer/contemporary, if not his superior). He would be a cool guy, but still funny and approachable (unlike dudes like Saito and Aoshi). Basically one of the "nice" guy with scheming smile and patronizing attitude.

He basically subscribed to Kenshin's idea of not killing people for the most part, but instead of going full Batman, he would gladly cut someone's head if that guy is a total scum of earth or is deemed too dangerous. And just like Kenshin, he could do both Nine-headed dragon slash and that legendary 2-step slash.

of course kenji doesn't dislike kenshin as much as the ovas portrayed it, but you can't say that kenji doesn't vastly prefer kaoru over kenshin. but maybe it is just a mommy's boy attitude kenji temporarily has since he is just a kid.

Hiten Mitsurugi is only passed down to one person at a time, and each master is given the name Hiko Seijuro (the Hiko we know is the XIIIth), so Kenshin running into another practitioner of his style is literally impossible.

Kenshin himself also declined the title of Hiko XIVth since he doesn't want to pass down assassination arts in an age of peace, and would rather see Kamiya Kasshin, a non-lethal swordsmanship style, be passed down to the next generation.

If Kenji becomes the main character, perhaps he can master both Mitsurugi and Kasshin and create a new style that combines the strength and precision of Mitsurugi with the non-lethal philosophy of Kasshin.

I'd like to take some of the influence of the anime, which there are 2 Hiko; east and west

While Kenshin learned his trade from the east Hiko, this guy could replace Amakusa.

>wanting filler arc nonsense to be made canon

So how does Kenshin get his sword back? I'm pretty sure Yahiko has it. Unless this is supposed to be like Dragonball Super, and be about adventures that take place before the actual epilogue chapters of the original material.

Why can't we just let it be over. It had a good ending then a bunch of crap afterwards. I loved it but I don't want to ruin it anymore.

Misao is best girl forever

Yahiko will just give it back. The story is confirmed to take place 5 years after Kenshin beat Enishi. The epilogue chapter where Kenshin gave the sakabatou to Yahiko was 4 years after that, so this new story begins 1 year later.
So no Dragon Ball Super retcon bullshit.

The manga is going to be set after the 5 year timeskip. It's a mistake IMO. They should set it immediatly after Enishi.

This is so wrong. I liked that the story ended with Kenshin passing down the sword to a new generation. It felt appropriate.

So long as Watsuki is charge and is teaming up with Sasaki again, then I have a good feeling that they'll do it right.

There's literally no way to do this right. It's going to be forced and inferior to the original.

I did too, but the theory we have is that something so drastic will happen in the story that Kenshin will be forced to take up his sword again. We've already discussed possibilities like his son getting kidnapped.

I agree that Rurouni Kenshin's ending was fucking perfect and it'd be weird to continue, but I have faith that Watsuki will do it right.
We'll see. Give Watsuki and Sasaki the benefit of a doubt.

Seriously why not just have a Ruroni Yahiko sequel. Fuck Ruroni Soujiro I don't care. People have been asking for those for literal decades. You can still worm in the Kenshin gang if sales need a spike

OP here. Dumping the prelude to the new arc.

Yahiko can't move magazines

Watsuki already made a spinoff one-shot with Yahiko as the protagonist called "Yahiko no Sakabato". Google it.

Just give him a rival and fangirls will buy his older tough boy magazine by the score