This is now the Mahou Shoujo political compass

This is now the Mahou Shoujo political compass

I dont like how chaste and sexual share scales with the others, doesn't particularly make sense.

You should be able to be happy and sexual.

I don't think it does. The dashed line implies that it's actually orthogonal to the first two axes.

Z-axis

What are some ironic magical girls?

kore wa zombie desu ka

Nanoha

I want to be a magical girl.

my faves are always happy, chaste and sincere.

Ironic isn't just parody, it would also mean works specifically deconstructing magical girl staples in other ways. In that sense Madoka and MGRP would be dark ironic, and something like Yuyuyu would be more dark sincere.

Madoka isn't entirely ironic, though; it does have a degree of sincerity.

Yeah, it wouldn't be directly in the corner. But its hook is still largely based upon the direct contrast of the dark tone with the normal happy frilly expectations of the genre, so I'd judge that it's still within that general section.

What's ironically happy and sexy?

I like unironic, non-dark Mahou Shoujos the best.

Is Utena sexual dark sincere?

Moetan
Ironic, happy, sexual

I don't know how useful the sexual axis is. Is it a representation of the tone, a shoujo mahou shoujo will end up on the non sexual part, and a seinen mahou shoujo will end up on the sexual part?
And it's okay to represent this if we don't add anything, but if we actually start to add different shows to the graph, I think colours would work better, have it 2D and give different values on sexual scale different colour tones.

You'd have to determine coordinates and scale first, though. -5 to 5 or -10 to 10 on each axis would suffice, probably.

I actually think a binary chart would give most of the information we need. Either sexual, or non-sexual. Either ironic, or sincere. Either happy, or dark.
We may get some additional information by adding numbers, but not very much.
Since this is a thread about mahou shoujo classification charts, I'll just repost the chart I made recently. It shows the two different ways to define something as mahou shoujo, and what demographic styles they are, and how popular they were over time.

The sexual line is dotted implying it's a third axis, likely pointing towards and away from the viewer, but its easier to show the axis exists by placing it in the "wrong" position but with a dotted line.

I get that, and it works okay for representing just the idea, but it'd get really difficult to read if we actually were to add some anime to the chart.
If we expand it beyond just a concept, if we use three axes, it'd be almost unreadable. I just think colour is a better representation of the third axis in a 2D picture than drawing all three.

I'm not quite sure how to read this. Is the implication that Seinen is a subtype of Sailor Moon, and Shoujo started off as a subtype of classical before shifting into Sailor Moon, and the thickness of each band would be popularity over time?

this is stupid since sailor moon didn't exist until the 90s and the original magical girl was made by the same guy as getter robo and devilman

I don't know if what it tells is actually true, in large parts it's based on assumptions and speculations. I haven't actually seen much mahou shoujo.

It's more about how you define something as mahou shoujo. Today, most people think that having a certain number of similarities is what makes something a mahou shoujo. The more cliches they recognize from watching Sailor Moon, the more mahou shoujo like it is. That's how you get ideas of things like Kill la Kill and Infinite Stratos being mahou shoujo.
The implications is that all seinen mahou shoujo is mahou shoujo because they add typical mahou shoujo cliches to make them mahou shoujo, and Sailor Moon defines what people think fo as the archetypical mahou shoujo, hence "Sailor Moon type".

The other type of mahou shoujo would be the shoujo type, or here "classical type". This is mahou shoujo that are mahou shoujo because they are shoujo with magical girls. They become mahou shoujo because they have a typical shoujo style, with magic added. Here the defining part is that it's shoujo. They still have many cliches, but the cliches are not what makes them mahou shoujo.

I think many people have an idea of both being present. I think most people would say "Princess Tutu" is a more typical mahou shoujo than "Kill la Kill". This shows that the shoujo style is still part of what makes people thing of something as mahou shoujo, you can't rely exclusively on cliches. You may look at a checklist of Sailor Moon cliches, see that Kill la Kill fulfill most of them, and then you say that Kill la Kill is mahou shoujo, even though you know it feels a bit wrong. This feeling is because of the classical idea.
If you actually look at a Sailor Moon based checklist, you may actually say that Kill la Kill is more of a mahou shoujo than Princess Tutu.

A theory I have is that the reason for Utena being considered a mahou shoujo is that maybe the classical definition was stronger before,

You're trying to use irony in both the "opposite of what you expect" sense and the "pseudo-witty, parodic" sense. Neither of which is really the opposite of sincere. The first one is just a technique and doesn't have anything to do with a show's tone. When we understand that Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask but Usagi doesn't, that's irony, but Sailor Moon oozes sincerity. They're not opposed.
Do c/a/suals actually believe Cutie Honey was the first mahou shoujo?

but as the definition shifted to being more Sailor Moon based, more people started rejecting it as a part of the genre, because it completely fails such a cliche checklist at all points. But if you see it as a shoujo first, it may look more like a mahou shoujo, so people with a bigger focus on the classical way of defining mahou shoujo may see it as that. Because it's first a shoujo, and the magic and cliches may be less important.

Don't pay too much attention to the thickness. I just made them pointing to where there are few or single entries, with the thickness in between being less important.

Shoujo mahou shoujo is pointy because from the point where it's non-pointy, in the mid 00s, until today, it has only been represented by one franchise. While seinen mahou shoujo is pointy in the other direction because Cutie Honey.

From what I've got, Cutie Honey wasn't initially considered a mahou shoujo, but as the Sailor Moon definition became popular, people realized it fit into that definition even though it isn't shoujo. So Cutie Honey is defined as mahou shoujo based on being similar to Sailor Moon, even though it came out before it.

It's the first seinen style mahou shoujo that I know about. It may technically be shounen, but it doesn't matter, for simplicity's sake shounen and seinen is considered the same thing and this simplification doesn't change anything. You can see the shoujo part pointing way further back, and it's not pointy, meaning there are more than one series or franchise present.

Part of what you're getting at seems to be the "atmosphere" of a show. Using Kill la Kill as you mentioned, while it checks off a lot of the similarities you would find with a mahou shoujo show, as you watch it, it "feels" more shounen-like, particularly with parts of Ryuko's personality and the battles. Whether you categorize Kill la Kill as an "atypical mahou shoujo" or "action seinen with mahou shoujo elements" is up for debate.