Evangelion thread

It's been over 4 years since 3.0 came out. Do you still feel the same way about it as when you first saw it? Do you still care about 4.0 at this point?

I always liked it. And I want for 3.0 + 1.0 to come out soon.

Eh, I was really disappointed in 3.33. I expected some actual character development and plot but instead we get hour of pointless Kawoshin gay piano scenes. Not like 2.22 wasn't shit anyway. Rebuild is just an omnipandering garbage with 0 plot or development at this point. I don't know how one movie can fix it.

Fuck off Reifag.

I'm still really glad the shit stain that was 2.0 got derailed, despite 3.0 not being great itself.

The butthurt on here was fucking fucking legendary though, can't wait for 3.0+1.0.

I still think 1.0 and 2.0 were pretty good. 3.0 was a piece of fucking trash though. I hope 3.0 + 1.0 is a "lol it was a dream" kind of movie.

>September 1, 2007
>June 27, 2009
>November 17, 2012
>2018?

I remember when the gap between 2.0 and 3.0 seemed long.

I stopped caring after End of Eva.
So did Anno.
Everything else is pure marketing.

just want Rei and Asuka to not win
Rei is ded and Asuka is now a dyke
Shinji deserve peace and only death can give him that.

What's the story behind 3.33 anyway? It seemed so out of place
>just want Rei and Asuka to not win
Win what?

I'm glad I'm just 19.

The Shinjibowl.

The only scene I really liked was Shinji and Fuyutsuki playing Shogi. The rest of the movie was a bunch of wasted potential. And I really liked 2.22.

I used to be mad about how long 4.0 is taking. Two thinks softened me up: Anno has been taking the time to give Godzilla gunbuster powers and Rebuild is shit.

Yes, still very shitty.

No, I'm not a Reifag but an actual fujoshit.

Why do you like gay stuff, femanon?

I don't remember shit about these movies so I'll likely have to rewatch 2 and 3 first before touching the final one.

Why do you like watching lesbians getting on?

Same here. I thought Asuka and Rei new personalities in 2.0 were the result of their post EoE development, so I was exited for loop theory confirmation and getting new stuff and fancy fanservice with Kaworu. Instead we got the same gay piano that wasn't really different from their gay cello in Death and rebirth or Asukas/Shinji dance training for synchronization. Disappointment. At least scared Kaworu gave me clit boner.

But I don't, it's disgusting

meh

I believe the term is sploosh for your kind.

>Do you still feel the same way about it as when you first saw it?
When I first saw it, I didn't like it.

Now I love it.

I just finished watching the anime and EoE...

i feel confused, sad and horrible

>fujoshit hates 3.0

where the fuck are we

I never cared about the rebuilds to begin with.

Would you perchance say you feel...

disgusting??

id say i feel pretty

pathetic

>episodes 1-6 HD
>Gurren Lagann dickriding but still p cool because WE SEQUEL NOW
>first half is a yaoi AMV, second half is "Anno tries to write a screenplay while on LSD"

Thoughts on this deleted live action scene from EoE and including it in your next viewing?

>
>

At release i thought it was a 4/10 movie.
Now i think it's 2/10.
Would be 1 but at least the music is good

2.22 was great, you anus

I was always under the impression that this was fake.

2.22 was fucking garbage

i would not include it in my next viewing to be honest.

it's cool to watch, but i just think EoE is absolutely fine as it is, and that scene arguably goes on for a little long.

i'm fairly sure it's real. i think it was on a japanese release of the film, maybe Renewal of Evangelion. never made it to the english version as far as i know.

I think we can all agree that 3.0's main grievance was its sole focus on Shinji&Kaworu at the expense of ANYTHING AT ALL about the other characters, especially Mari.

Apart from that, the plot-driven way that that Misato and Asuka treat Shinji when seeing him for the first time in 14 years is absolutely dumb. This has been said since the premiere of this shitfest, but JUST FUCKING CALMLY EXPLAIN TO SHINJI WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED IF YOU NEED HIM ON YOUR SIDE.

3.0 destroyed the characters of Misato, Asuka, and Rei.

Up to this point, Asuka hasn't even been in the Rebuilds long enough to be realistically considered such a major emotional influence on Shinji, but yet she is somehow still playing that role.

I have always wished EoE was a longer movie with a bit more of an exposition before the JSSDF attack on NERV. 86 minutes is SHORT for a film, but I guess EoE is supposed to actually be in two long episodes instead of an actual movie format.

I liked the X.0 movies, but I went into them knowing that they're non-canon joke movies. Watching them knowing that it's an experimental twist, like 'NGE but everything is nice' or 'NGE but it's even more of a trip'.

Just don't take them seriously

i wish i could do that, but im in too deep

I have this approach too but that doesn't mean 3.0 isn't an objectively bad film

2.0 was the "fun Eva" I was expecting

3.0 was just painful

Nothing has changed, so yeah it's still a mess.
I can't wait for 4.0 to come out and put this god-forsaken series to rest. I mean that for both the rebuilds and Eva as a whole. Eva was too popular, and despite not needing anything beyone EoE, otaku forced the series to become the grotesque abomination it is today, its lifeforce sustained by NEETbucks.

"Sploosh boner" doesn't roll off the tongue, you must admit.

>Eva was too popular

I agree, its popularity led to its current bastardization and mainstream treatment as the exact opposite of what it was originally intended to be.

The whole show is telling otaku to go outside, but it was so good that it effectively counteracted its own intention.

3.0 was a bit artsy and boring in the middle, yeah. Definitely the worst of the bunch

The KawoShin middle was the only well-done part of 3.0. It's the beginning and end that were pure abominations, at least in terms of what they did to the plot. They had some nice action animation apart from the CGI cop-outs, though.

it was the reverse for me.

2.0 was utterly painful, seeing them pretend to follow the original story while adding pointless bullshit and removing the best parts of it.

3.0 went in its own direction, and while that direction was fucking garbage, at least it was schlock garbage i could laugh at.

>caring about the plot in X.0
you just dont get it

I actually haven't seen 2.0 in a really long time.

Feels like just yesterday it was a hot summer morning in 2009, and I'd run upstairs after cutting the grass to see if my torrent of 2.0 had finished...damn lads

It was laughable, as was the whole rebuild saga, yet it was the most interesting one. The Kawoshin parts were cringy, disgusting and over-the-top gay, with rainbows and unicorns, just consuming screen time for no reason, of course, except maybe for stargazing scene, but the whole new look and fresh setting hooked me up a bit, but only a bit. It's still just omnipandering garbage. I don't know what's driving Anno's mind nowadays, but it seems he's struggling with writing Eva. Like he really didn't want to do it, like he was planning something completely different, but changed it all in the last minute. Maybe tsunami disasters affected him or something.

Hated it on the first try
Hated it on rewatch

>It's been over 4 years since 3.0 came out. Do you still feel the same way about it as when you first saw it? Do you still care about 4.0 at this point?

I still think it's shit, and I don't really care about 4.0.

I didn't hate it. I certainly didn't like it either. Probably going to rewatch it again soon and I feel there's still some hope for 3.0+1.0.

After The Giant God Warrior and Shin Godzilla, it seems Anno still got it but Eva brings the worst of him.

EVAFAGS

Are you DEEP enough for THIS riddle?

fuck off

not touching that bait thread

Daily reminder that rebuilds are pure marketing shit. The show ends with EoE.

The only hint you get is: it's not bait

I actually like 3.0 more than 2.0. even tho 3.0 is pure fujoshi in some parts, it still feels more eva than 2.0 that tried to squeeze as many action scenes as possible I'm not even talking about the Beast mode, it was actually a cool use of design , because I think those control cells always were in the evas so it feels natural somewhat natural to pander to otakus

>I liked the X.0 movies, but I went into them knowing that they're non-canon joke movies.

Autism. Why....

user meant instead of clit boner, to just say that it made her ''sploosh''. Get it now?
That you to have autism.

I'm actually ashamed of the people who like what I like angry now

It was a bad movie, but watching Sup Forums shit itself inside out over it never ceased to be funny.

And the generals may have been invaded by endless shit by the end, for a while they were a lot of fun.

Can't wait for 4.0

I had good taste when I saw it in 2013 too so it's still shit

Just finished watching evangelion 1.11-3.33 today. I enjoyed it and hoping 4.44 to come out sometime this year.

What a qt

gif shocked me

forgot he died like that

>Do you still feel the same way about it as when you first saw it?
Yes. Rewatched 1, 2, & 3 a month ago and I'm still irritated by 3.0. I still think it was fucking retarded and wrecked what momentum they had going with Rebuild.

>Do you still care about 4.0 at this point?
Yeah because I'd still like closure. After all these ages and ages of Eva and just one more movie might as well see this shit through. I don't think Rebuild can be salvaged from the shitfest that was 3.0 but there's still a spectrum of possibilities, 4.0 could be godfuckingawful or at least have some decent parts or somewhere in between. I'm in no rush but I will watch it when/if it comes out someday.

>Apart from that, the plot-driven way that that Misato and Asuka treat Shinji when seeing him for the first time in 14 years is absolutely dumb. This has been said since the premiere of this shitfest, but JUST FUCKING CALMLY EXPLAIN TO SHINJI WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED IF YOU NEED HIM ON YOUR SIDE.
mfw 3.0 did this
>
>3.0 destroyed the characters of Misato, Asuka, and Rei.
>
>Up to this point, Asuka hasn't even been in the Rebuilds long enough to be realistically considered such a major emotional influence on Shinji, but yet she is somehow still playing that role.
This god damn it. Not really any more to say. 1.0 and 2.0 weren't brilliant but they did have some interesting build up on familiar characters reacting to a differing situation, and by the end of 2.0 had at least set things up well to truly go an interesting route in 3. If 3.0 had been good we'd have forgiven the slow build up as necessary to rebasing a well established world and characters so they really start moving a new way.

Then 3.0 took a big steaming dump all over all that and reset everything, like suddenly Anno couldn't bear to actually have character development that would make them grow differently then the Eva series. Fucking stupid.

I think it made me gay

>Apart from that, the plot-driven way that that Misato and Asuka treat Shinji when seeing him for the first time in 14 years is absolutely dumb. This has been said since the premiere of this shitfest, but JUST FUCKING CALMLY EXPLAIN TO SHINJI WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED IF YOU NEED HIM ON YOUR SIDE.
would it have killed anno to at least have misato or asuka or whatever somehow acknowledge the whiplash in any way? misato spent entire fucking nerv arc literally working for the organization and pushing shinji to pilot hard then cheered him on at the end of 2.0! and then they suddenly act like he's the monster.

Shinji going GAR at the end of 2.22 really broke his character but I liked it in a way - a bit of hamfisted character development, but he tried to change? Or maybe it was him throwing a tantrum. It's been a while.

3.33 changed the game too much and felt like it was explaining nothing at all - you have the weird voltron-lugia bird-ass ship, eva 02 turning into a dog, etc. Gay piano and Kaworu dying was a foreseen conclusion given the end of EVA 2.22.
I think my main issue with 3.33 might've been the change that Misato took. She was kind of the anchor (relatively) for a 'normal' human being in the series, emotionally and socially, but she changes into something like a parallel to Gendou (somewhat understandable since it's been 14 years since we last saw her, but that's a whole other issue). Shinji could bounce-off her and reassure himself to keep moving, yet the only person who would listen and be his support mentally is gone. He's thrown into a future world where he doesn't know what's going on, and the people he depended on in are sick of his shit.

Feel free to fucking call me out but I'm going off vague memory of the clusterfuck that was 3.33.
The arguments that they never told Shinji anything is fine, but I can kind of agree with the sort of justification that went with it, but it made the film incredibly frustrating to watch.
The way I understand it is Shinji is not needed in the current world at the moment. The best thing for him to do right now is literally nothing. That's why they told him nothing, because armed with the knowledge, he'd make things worse if he did (like he eventually does).
There's a reason to keep him alive, but for different agendas (NERV vs WILLE). Shinji's seen as some kind of insurance but Misato's not above putting the choker on him (so he can die when needed).

No it makes no fucking sense. When Shinji awoke he had the memories of 2.0 and actually getting his shit together and starting to care about people. He was all primed to cooperate. They could have trivially and intelligently educated him and both used and disarmed his big emotional hangups and attachments. They could have apologized for how things went down, told him there was a plan to help though and played on his insecurities and sense of duty. They could have told him that Gendo had ruthlessly destroyed Rei's memories and made clones of her, which would have simultaneously made him super mad and distrustful AND prepared him for the obvious, OBVIOUS ploy wherein Gendo sent his brainwashed doll out to do dirty work and collect Shinji DUH. Onward and onward. Yeah 14 years, that should be time to calm the fuck down and figure out an intelligent plan. They're even the ones who brought him back in the first place! It wasn't well explained it was utterly fucking retarded and Misato was not built up as a fucking retard character.

>are sick of his shit.
Sick of what shit? THEY PUSHED HIM TO DO IT ALL. Kid sure as hell wasn't all gung ho about the whole thing, who would be? He even left once and Misato bitched him out. How the fuck is any of that on some child and not all the adults (military trained adults!) around him? Plus, HE DID IN FACT SAVE THE FUCKING PLANET. Yeah, unfortunately in going full power there was also trouble caused, but that angel had them absolutely 100% dead to rights. If the angel had connected, boom, no more humanity. Full stop. This way there was still SOME humanity left and some hope. That's still a win. And from some normalfag emotionally stunted and abused kid tossed into a crazy painful terrifying horror machine against gigantic godly abominations. Shinji was objectively a hero. Heroes are often flawed as hell and have mental issues IRL, but he was still a hero. Misato and co were gigantic fucktards in 3.0.

>super mad and distrustful
*of gendo, just to be clear here. Would have helped his already existing trust in Misato and company, might have really been a key thing to help him break his hangup on his dad.
>"Your dad used and abused your girlfriend and is continuing to do so"
stood a solid chance to have actually worked on Shinji in that moment.

Reminder that Shinji is canonically heterosexual.

>but it made the film incredibly frustrating to watch
Isn't that the point? You're supposed to be in Shinji's shoes.

He apparently is worse than 200 HItlers in this universe so it makes sense they treated him like garbage.

Why did they change Kaworu's shirt color in 3.0?

very deep reasons. you wouldn't understand.

Reference to Homura

Yeah, that's what I was figuring - to tell the story from Shinji's view, but I still don't like it.

I can agree with you on the point of not explaining what the fuck happened with NERV and why WILLE even exists. My guess is Anno and the others didn't either they just wanted to 'make things different'
As well, Shinji was meant to stop the Angel, not essentially cause the third fucking impact. Just because he 'saved the world' doesn't mean it's okay that 2/3rds? of the world is dead.
Given the world EVA is set in, it clearly doesn't matter if you're a kid or not.

But yeah, the way Misato and WILLE responded to Shinji in 3.33 was fucking retarded, no disagreement there. Just I can kind of see the justification behind given it's a military kind of thing. People that don't need to know things aren't told them, actions speak louder than intentions, etc, etc. Not defending why they did it, but I can see why they did it. For storytelling purposes it's not a good idea, and for something like this they certainly shouldn't have done it.

Going grape tang this time

>As well, Shinji was meant to stop the Angel, not essentially cause the third fucking impact.
Shinji didn't make the Eva, the defense plans, or the situation. The Evas in normal mode and even 02 in beast mode all failed. Conventional weapons all failed. 01 was out of power. Berserker was literally it, Angel was about to win everything. He didn't have to do shit, he could have just let it happen or walked away, or for that matter happened by bad luck to be killed in the cross fire, they weren't actually doing a decent job of protecting him or anything.

>Just because he 'saved the world' doesn't mean it's okay that 2/3rds? of the world is dead.
Actually yeah it does. 2/3rds > 100%. Final desperation last resort solutions are called that because they're final and desperate and LAST RESORTS, if they were happy perfect consequence free they'd get used right off.

>Given the world EVA is set in, it clearly doesn't matter if you're a kid or not.
Of course it does, they don't just use child soldiers in general and it clearly bothers people. They used the kids due to the specific requirements of their chosen weapon, and also remember that they purposefully WANTED Shinji to be badly trained and emotionally controllable too. It's specifically commented on that it's shitty to have adults be putting all the weight onto kids. This isn't rocket science god damn, it's not unreasonable to expect the adults who actually set the entire thing up, were in charge of all equipment, planning, personnel decisions, training, general life, etc., and of keeping him ignorant of key matters, to take a bit of god damned responsibility. Shinji literally did the best he could in an utterly shit situation and end result was that humanity lived on. That deserved at least some small measure of recognition, even if only due to selfish reasons because then they could better get him to do what they wanted.

>Shinji didn't make the Eva, the defense plans, or the situation
He was ordered to stop the angel. He didn't do that, he merged with it and created third impact. Watch the scene again.

Also apologies this is long tl;dr user, but I do think this part is important:
>Just I can kind of see the justification behind given it's a military kind of thing.
No it isn't, and that's one of the more galling parts (and also a plot point pre-3.0, makes no sense in 3.0)! An actual real military would behave nothing like what we see there at all. They'd assess the situation and see that yes, they really did require these kids, it's shitty and embarrassing but there it is. And then they'd professionally deal with it. They'd provide extensive psychological support, before, during, and after combat watching out for PTSD. They'd provide support in general life, good training, etc. They'd make it clear how much the kids were valued and that they were heroes and try to indoctrinate them into a soldier mindset, and do extensive scenario projection, have clear actions lists and contingency planning, and on and on.

Like I said pre-3.0 this is actually justified by the fact that NERV very specifically does not actually want effective, mentally balanced pilots. Gendo & Seele (for different goals) want to steer a very fine line, where the angels are defeated, but after that the pilots can be disposed of or used without will of their own to accomplish not what they want and not what they have been told or what the public heroic mission is, but Gendo/Seele's selfish personal ends. So they're purposefully meant to be psychologically messed up and stunted, with berserk mother soul protectiveness filling in the gaps. However in 3.0 there isn't any reason it shouldn't just be treated as an actual military scenario with the real goal being the same as the public goal: to win and do away with all the super natural shit for good.

>He was ordered to stop the angel. He didn't do that, he merged with it and created third impact. Watch the scene again.
You watch it again. He wasn't ordered to do shit in 2.0. He was in that shelter, told by Mari to huff it, and decided of his own volition after seeing Rei get chomped to try to interfere. He saved command right when it was about to get wiped. He tried to stop the Angel just with the normal Eva power. He ran out of juice, got arm destroyed, and was knocked down. And if he'd stayed that way, that'd have been the end. It was over.

Instead he struggled for his sack, managed to fix on one single all driving goal (save rei), decided he was fine sacrificing himself for it and went nuts and full god mode. Full god mode managed to win. But they didn't use that in general same as beast mode because of massive mental corruption. That was the whole "plug depth" bit remember, you're not supposed to go all out because ego goes bye-bye. Power came with a price, you can't separate them. God mode = some level of insanity/ego destruction/single mindedness. No god mode, no victory. They should have been prepared for that with a lance of longinus themselves.

Also did you ignore Misato cheering him on "Go for it shinji do it for yourself!!" and all that? Even if others were mad shouldn't SHE at least be more balanced in 3.0?

Except he used the god mode not to defeat the angel, but to merge with it which started the impact.
Misato cheered for him because even she didn't know that would happen, but Ritsuko did which is why she yelled at her.
Notice how after the impact started Misato stopped cheering? She was horrified.

I still have not and will never watch it.

>"Shinji, Stop, this is wrong."
I CAN'T, I MEAN, WE'RE ALREADY DOWN HERE REEEEEEEEEEE

>Do you still care about 4.0 at this point?
Not at this point. What bothered me the most was the whole climax was just Kaworu explaining the drama as it was happening and doing sudden "this is wrong!" exclamations. The audience couldn't see "it" coming because we were given little clues as to what we were looking for/expecting. It was all telling and not showing.

Watch it for the gay sex scenes.

>Except he used the god mode not to defeat the angel
What the fuck. Yes he fucking did, it was the whole damn climax! When was the last time you watched 2.0? Eva is on ground all dark. Angel has won. Switches to cockpit, totally dark and out of power. Shinji's eyes glow red. Eva goes god mode. Plug depth goes to insanity level, they watch it on the notebook. 01 creates replacement energy arm, ludicrous power, develops halo, za gud doctor specifically fucking say that it's throwing off limitations put on it by humanity. That's how it defeats the angel. He did it to get back Rei and he'd have to go after the core anyway to win. Then it keeps right on going which is kind of to be expected from the whole "throwing off the shackles put on it by humanity" bit not to mention 3rd Impact WAS THE WHOLE SECRET PLAN. Which they found out about later long before getting him back.

Rewatch the scene. He didn't destroy the core, he merged his arm with it.

What the fuck do you think that giant Rei-shaped red thing was that was merging with the Eva?
Rei wasn't actually pulled into the fucking cockpit with him you know.

Also, even if spear hadn't stopped 01, Third Impact right then and would still have been better then Angel winning. At least then there'd be new humanity and hell, Shinji was actually in a pretty positive frame of mind (for him) and with his girl also in a decent frame of mind (for her) and not under shitty old man orders. If we consider what sort of choice he would have made at that point with god power vs how Eva/EoE went, I'd actually be kind of optimistic he'd do something semi-ok with it.

At any rate I'd roll the dice on that vs absolute destruction from angel. Like that chinese proverb says, sometimes when life gives you lemons you have to shove them back in its face and steal its orange.

I said he went after the core not that he destroyed it, he reached out with the arm and did that whole scan effect thing and his soul reached for her or whatever that shit was. I see you're no longer trying to deny he went god mode for that at least.

Shinji even says himself he doesn't care about what happens to the world in that scene, that isn't a positive frame of mind at all.
The angel winning would have the same result as third impact.

Dumbass, rewatch the scene, Rei did not magically fly out of the angel and go through into Shinji's cockpit, she was actually already merged with the angel, and Shinji merged the entire angel into himself which started the impact.
An impact doesn't start unless such a contact like that occurs.
I never denied he went god mode.

I think another major flaw with 3.0 is the way it takes all of the characters from a somewhat-realistic modern day scifi/military setting to a totally fantastical flying pirates apocalypse of bullshit. It adds to all of the characters acting unrealistic as well.

>Shinji even says himself he doesn't care about what happens to the world in that scene, that isn't a positive frame of mind at all.
Oh please, he thinks everything is over and has no more control and that he's going to die. He's happy he pulled off something good and of his own positive will in his final moments and didn't fail at what he tried to do there. If all of a sudden from that he was suddenly given a choice of what to do yeah, he'd absolutely be in a positive (for him) frame of mind. He'd probably go for the chance to put things back without the bullshit and go for a normal life with Rei. That'd work out ok for everyone else.

>The angel winning would have the same result as third impact.
No it wouldn't. Ritsuko even says so right there in case you're a total newfag who has never watched Eva before and knows no lore. Absolute worst case we end up with a new godly humanity and old humanity dies, but at least humanity would have won the incest lillithbowl and have descendents move on. Better then old humanity getting wiped and angel monster god race leaving nothing of our legacy.

>I never denied he went god mode.
>Except he used the god mode not to defeat the angel
I sure hope you're just pretending to be retarded. How dumb do you have to be to not get Eva 2.0. It's not deep.

So, can you not read? I say right there in that post he uses god mode to merge with the angel. He never defeats it.
You got proven wrong, just accept it.

If he didn't merge with it, then how did third impact start?

Nice fanwank, he says he doesn't care what happens to the world. Congrats, he got his wish.

The ending wasn't supposed to be happy, a fucking impact started and Misato and Ritsuko looked horrified.

God damn you're a retard. Congratulations, Anno meme magic and ultra basic character emotion is officially too much for you to handle.

>hurr I can't disprove you so i'll rely on adhoms!
Pathetic.