There are retards who still claim that Sword Art Online came out before the .hack// series

>There are retards who still claim that Sword Art Online came out before the .hack// series.

Explain.

SAO came out later in this timeline.

but its true, at least SAO started earlier in a shitty web novel format.

SAO is still a good concept but poorly executed mostly because of the author.

Proofs.

They do? I was under the assumption that Sword Art Online fags didn't even know about the .hack// series

All you need to know is that Kirito would rek Kite and NTR Aura and Black Rose from him and probably even cut through Data Drain with Starburst Stream without even trying.

.hack//Sign is the only good RPG anime in existence, the rest is poorly executed mainstream garbage. Thats my opinion, because you might like other RPG anime. However in the case of SAO in particular, you're fucking autistic if you like it.

And don't even get me started on the original 4 games, because the'yre fucking great.

>And don't even get me started on the original 4 games, because they're fucking great.

The G.U. games were pretty good too, desu.

This

Ordinal scale torrents when?

>And don't even get me started on the original 4 games, because the'yre fucking great.
They really were great, an anomaly for their time even then though. Today, something like that just couldn't exist. I sadly think that .hack will become un-relateable for anyone who didn't grow up during the time period they were released, too. A curiosity like how anons see 80s anime today.
>HMDs already exist like Oculus and Vive
>MMO games and MMO culture are different
>net culture is different

Just send me back, senpai. .hack//legend of the twilight was the first manga I ever read.

The WN format started after .hack started airing.

The original contest draft for it was written in the year .hack debuted at the earliest.

And then there's the brief stint in h-manga from 2000, which definitely feels like proto SAO.

If we compare the SAO webnovel, it came out slightly before.

There are still people who are fully convinced that the earth is flat. I am not that surprised anymore.

I don't get this? this is not even about failing schools anymore this is straight up devolving mentally.

I don't really think that's a fair comparison, considering that it's not really the same incarnation of the series. Even then, from what I can tell, the web novel was released in fall of 2002, and .hack came out in April 2002. I don't have any concrete release date for the web novel though. All I know is that their creation happened concurrently, and by different means. SAO by some faggot author, and .hack// by committee.

>2000

So the author has basically been writing and rewriting the exact same story for the last 17 years.

Ive never watched hack or SAO. now what?

>poorly executed mostly because of the author.

Blame the editor. He forced Kawahara to publish the early stories of SAO with 0 rewriting. Progressive is actually good and what SAO should have been and you can see Kawahara's growth as an author. It's certainly better than shit like Overlord and as good as stuff like Log Horizon.

.hack is already un-relatable for the people that didn't grow up with it. I don't think people would be able to appreciate the games (or the anime) quite like they would have back then and its a damn shame.

And fuck yes user, Legend of the Twilight was my first anime when I was just a little shit. Watched it long before I was even into Japanese culture and it will always have a special place in my heart

Oh Jesus, I remember this! Did .hack really have to be so, so ass-grindingly boring as a series? I remember watching SIGN as a kid and going "What the fuck is this series even about?" Then you have ROOTS, which is EVEN WORSE, Liminality (About boring people performing the most boring infiltration ever) and those other shows that kept bringing back Kite.

Not just one Kite, but there are about six Kites running about.

GU was a vague step up, but no-one died. The ending was also rushed and awful. I'm actually not surprised this series was basically forgotten compared to SAO: If SAO had come out when I was a kid, it would have ruined me for life.

Like, I can't believe I'm saying this, but SAO is everything I've wanted from an anime about MMOs. .hack is like the opposite in all it's iterations.

The worst thing is that these kind of people are moving to conquer our country. I thought their nickname is just a hyperbole until I saw that some of these people do believe that the earth is really flat and there are a big conspiracy covering it.

The only MMO series I've enjoyed was Log Horizon. It's the only one that actually felt like an MMO.

its feels scary. it feels like something that was supposed to be a mem became reality. like trump actually winning and now this. these are some scary times we live in.

Redemption was not a good game. It was rushed, and it showed.

Ironically, it's the only one that isn't actually in an MMO.

I forgot hack was a thing, no joke.

Sao's aincard src was actually good, it have the potential and it really shows in progressive

Anything after that is shit until alicization which will save the series

I don't give a shit about trump or any of the clusterfucks that have been going with american government but there has been a insane trend lately with poeple going reverting to really fucking stupid ways of thinking, like the whole earth is flat, more than once I saw threads here in other boards that seriously discussed that the earth really is flat

And then there are the whole vaccination thing with people blaming it for stupid shit

Its like the world itself is devolving

It's mainly because he wrote himself into a corner. Remember, the first book was a one-and-done. He wrote the beginning and end of the Aincraid arc - Everything else is just fleshing it out.

There's no inherent tension, because we know how it ends.

mods are fags

It's a given in this computer age, you need to teach your children about scientific theory and the importance of primary and secondary sources from the get go now.

Instead you have a generation that takes their news from Twitter and Facebook posts.

Aincrad was his baby, and he had to constantly revise it down to a book which he did quite well. But his style of writing only improved by doing Alfheim, GGO & Aids-chan.

The sad part is, if you read the web draft for Alicization, you'd realise he could actually write a decent style of novel, but they toned it all back into the light adult genre + light novel length.

It's a shame that the modern net has gone in the direction it has, towards centralization instead of niche communities. Losing that little bit of context, the little things in the game like the simulated BBS probably just don't feel as engaging.

Post more .hack// and stop talking about flat-memers.

They should of made young adult versions of Shugo and Rena after G:U returner instead of that link shit we got.

You'd have the potential to bring back the bonds of all the old casts that way by code inheritance.

Aura becoming the system while leaving Zelfie to represent the human component of interaction.

The legend was already complete, so it should have been onto the scope of AI creativity for human beings, like an AI taking up art or something as the next step.

Instead I dunno what they got since I didn't read Link, but that seemed retarded as all fuck.

Progressive is fine but I really hate the Asuna dicksucking, which is taken up to extreme levels here.

I still think SAO would've been a better series if the romance with Asuna wasn't so forced.

>You'd have the potential to bring back the bonds of all the old casts that way by code inheritance.
As someone who has played MMOs before, and in the context of .hack itself, I don't like bringing back many characters. People move on from games eventually. Sometimes keeping friends, sometimes not. Kite's player seemed like he was finished with the game after the events of it. I couldn't see him coming back after all that.

The people who did continue playing had good reasons other than they just wanted to play more. And just for the sake of playing seems like good enough a reason, but trust me. People always move on at some point. Despite that we got a decent amount come back and that was fine with me. Endrance's player was fucked in the head in a lot of ways, Haseo's player had amnesia, Piros and Balmung got actual jobs with the game company, etc. I'm kind of glad that Shugo and Rena stayed out of future publications since I could imagine the game having already done its job of bringing them back together.

By the way, never read Link. It's fucking shit. If you read Link, you'll probably understand the other half of the reason I do not like shoehorning in old characters.

Fair enough, I only put forth their names since they had trust from Aura to take care of Zelfie, nothing could of stopped them from Zelfie interacting with a new set of adventurers and like you say move the story forward with a fresh cast.

It's been done quite a bit about the idea of intelligent beings encased in an easy malleable world, personally for me with what the origins of .hack were all about. It would of made sense as a continuation of it.

Log Horizon struck an interesting cord with the 'people of the land' and SAO with fluctlight beings. .hack already had the Pluto virus that severely affected the world, and any possible future of humanity is stemmed with a tight relationship to computer technology.

It felt .hack had better potential to take this idea to the next step.

>tfw Haseo is not only a better protagonist from a better series, he also has a better harem then Kirito's.

You really caused some autism in this thread.
We dont speak of he who shall not be named here
You, you should just kill yourself

So yeah .hack

It's more like he wrote the story and it didn't get published because Vol 1 was too long to make it into the contest it was written for, and he threw it all up on the internet

A few years later he submitted Accel World and got accepted, that got a few sales so his publishers asked him to also give them SAO, and that got "proper" published years later. And even later he started doing a rewrite/retcon in the form of Progressive for the massive timejumps made to fit all of the Aincrad arc (ya' know the one arc actually about Sword Art Online) into a single volume

We just now finished the last volume of the WN, but no one wan'ts the Gravy Train to stop so we are still going into uncharted waters now

>no Sakubo and Endrance boipucci to fug while Shino and Atoli watch
Why even live?

>tfw buttplates
>tfw 3rd wasnt the final form
;_;7

>Sword Art Online (Japanese: ソードアート・オンライン Hepburn: Sōdo Āto Onrain?) is a 2009 Japanese light novel series written by Reki Kawahara and illustrated by Abec.

>.hack//Sign (trademarked as .hack//SIGN) is an anime television series directed by Kōichi Mashimo and produced by studio Bee Train and Bandai Visual, that makes up one of the four original storylines of the .hack franchise. Twenty six original episodes aired in 2002

so to recap
.hack//sign - April 4,2002
SAO - April 10, 2009

Sword Art Online Material Edition - 1 The Progressers was released on November 18, 2007

.hack has a good 5 year lead

this took all of 5 minutes to confirm eat shit saotards

Isn't that just the manga? Himura really likes Asuna apparently

>outfit made of belts
I have so many fond memories of this game and discussions surrounding it.

>.hack//Sign is the only good RPG anime in existence
Sign was a boring piece of shit. Also Log Horizon exists.

Man, .hack was too good, perhaps far too much as it explored the Isseika-to-MMO genre almost in its entirety, that future works, to me, feel like a rehash of many aspects of .hack.

Personally, I would like to see this genre to expand from Fantasy MMOs to other types, such as Space MMOs.
A story placed in a MMO like EVE could be quite interesting - though, I guess no one wants to see a story about finance, mining and whining.

>not knowing about the web novel

Who, Trump?

HAHAHAHHA
underrated post

>sao anything good

nerd wetdream + every supreme pandering = burning trash

>GOOD ONE, ME

Asuna is definitely way more prominent in the Progressive manga, yeah.

Screw you. His Xth form design is awesome.