Crunchyroll reduced its bitrates by half to a quarter

diff.pics/Tb0D8sX0IXXX/3

They're not just reduced for free users, but reduced for everyone, even paying users. A rep says that it it's only "affecting certain users" on twitter and reddit but it looks like it's a rolling deployment, and he's trying to slide it into a piracy issue.

Rewrite was reduced to 900kbps from 3100kbps.

It's interesting to note that a couple months before this, Crunchyroll laid off most of its San Francisco employees in favor of working with an outsourcing company, Yopeso, due to its CTO being friends of Cruncyroll's head of product (according to an anonymous supposed former employee). According to anonymous sources on a Reddit thread a month or two ago, Crunchyroll outsourced a lot of the development of Crunchyroll itself to Moldova, while the few remaining engineers are working with Yopeso on VRV.

We don't often use Crunchyroll but Hsubs are ripped directly off of them, so the rips will have the lower encoding as well, and Crunchyroll usually gets to license most of the anime this season. What's also interesting to note is that Amazon is getting into the anime business at the moment, and while Crunchyroll has connections to Japanese animation companies it's not hard to imagine them jumping to Amazon if they receive a better offer, especially with the presence amazon.co.jp has over there.

(cont)

Lowering your bitrate by up to four times is a pretty big deal when you actually watch the anime, but it's unknown how many people would actually cancel their subscription to this because for the most part the average dumb consumer wouldn't notice and would rather blame it on the animation quality as they just see "1080p" or "720p" and think it's HD. The question is for them, "will reducing the costs by saving the bandwidth be worth it in terms of the hit in growth and userbase of our company?

This might incentivize the reintroduction of fansubs using TV rips as well, just because they would get better quality. This can also incentivize pirating in this case: If it's really easy to take the tv rips and encode Crunchyroll's subtitles onto them, what's the point of buying a subscription when you can literally have better quality stuff for free and much easier.

Anyways, your thoughts on this? How many people will Crunchyroll lose? What's the future of CR as a company? How will fansubs fare? Usually in Silicon Valley, when a tech company tries to outsouce its employees to some other country it almost never ends up well and its owners are just milking it as much as possible til it dies, but it's interesting to see how Crunchyroll will do. Honestly, every techie in SV or SF knows the signs of when a company is going to die and its owners basically stop caring because they move onto bigger and better things, and it's what CR looks like at the moment.

There isn't much of a big deal about this yet, and it looks like they might keep the lower bitrates, and if so expect lower filesize Horriblesub rips.

Almost all of the anime I watch is ripped by Horriblesubs...this is terrible!

I don't think anybody in Sup Forums cares about it since they just follow the hate for CR by pissed off dramaqueen subbers like sheep.

There's no difference and now i can get the 1080p faster thanks Crunchyroll!

Average user won't give a shit/notice a different just like you said, and I would make a wager they make up most of their users.

But who knows, didn't they fix Gabriel Dropout subs to some extent because of posts on the CR forums?

reminder that when literally anything like this happens ever there is nothing you can do because the general populace is too dumb to have standards

They care more about pizza than actually improving their service, so there's that.

As if having to look at all the ugly HS screenshots on Sup Forums wasn't bad enough before

I'm not sure about the Gabriel Dropout, but in regards to the average user, it's a ripe time for other companies such as Netflix or Amazon to take advantage of Crunchyroll's dysfunctions and take up some market share. Especially if Amazon was able to snatch more titles per month, I think that the average user would rather pay 10 dollars a month for Prime (now with additional anime) than pay for a Crunchyroll with reduced quality and number of titles.

You can just extract subs from CR release and put them on raws.

How many of these do we need today?
Daiz sucks cocks
Miles is a retard
CR sucks

When companies in SV or SF decide to outsource, it's usually due to higher up politicking and saying "I'm off to bigger and better things, and I really couldn't care much about this company/project any more."

Improving their service was never a goal for Crunchyroll, just making money; however outsourcing and reducing bitrates and overall quality means that they're willing to take a temporary gain in profits at the expense of long term growth. Most tech companies that do this usually die off not too long after because key engineers leave or get fired, and technical debt accrues so much that adding new features in the future become harder and harder.

>streaming

Normalfags BTFO.

>This might incentivize the reintroduction of fansubs using TV rips as well

Hahahaha

Just wait until Netflix gets serious with Anime.

Why is thos Daiz so hated? I only heard something about 10 bit but those played well on my pc and on my phone it took a bit more battery per episode.

>2017
>outsourcing

Isn't that what HS already do?

I'm super jealous of that guy. He gets paid to post drivel while here I am shitposting for free.

>there are people on Sup Forums who pay for this shit

Buyfags forever cucks as always.

He defends meme subs and he always shills for that shitty website I'm not mentioning.

HS just straight up rips them from Crunchyroll. They're Crunchyroll's streams, almost bit for bit.

I can't wait for Dear Japanese People.

He assisted hiro in pulling off a hostile takeover of Sup Forums
He also staged a falseflag operation ddos-ing nyaa to frame tokyotosho

I got you

I'm pretty sure the horriblesubs file is fine, once the entire file is downloaded a played on a media player on your computer the issues you'd get from streaming it over the web are gone

I refuse to believe that there are people on Sup Forums who subscribe to cr when you can get it for free on nyaa, other than those hs folks.

He's a Hillary supporter.

This post is frighteningly tech illiterate bordering on retardation.

So why should Sup Forums give a fuck? Streamfags are getting fucked and CR ''DUDE XD I SUPPORT ANIME'' fags are getting fucked.

This is good.

I would get mad but then I remember that there's never been a time in my life where meme subs weren't a thing, as long as you don't have subs spinning across the screen in neon colors I'll live

He's bald.

This. This is a thinking man's post.

that's not how it works. that's not how any of this works.

Well you better believe it because they are here.

Just laugh at them.

This is the average Sup Forums user in 2017

I don't think anyone cares that, he has been hated for a long time now.

plz no. the less western curroption in anime the better.

Turns out that streaming is a waste of time.
If Crunchyroll had been some kind of paid-private tracker instead they would have made money instead of burning it.

>all those people out there thinking there was some sort of compression breakthrough when all the file sizes shrink for HS

you are also a moron

sasuga Sup Forums

There are people on Sup Forums who can't into torrenting and/or complains about seeding, a thing that you don't even need to physically do anything about.

ok I was actually talking out my ass, I use madvr though so you can't say I didn't know what I was doing at least at one point

Who is this faggot?

>just checked his twitter

Im sorry for the Sup Forums meme word but this guy definitely look like a nu-male.

Disgusting.

I can hear the Sup Forums fags sighing

Thanks, CR!

This.

Leave muh animu alone. You burgers are corrupted.

He looks like a victim of radiation poisoning.

That's what OP just said you Retard.

Why did you make this image blurrier? It's almost twice as big now too.

So what, are you saying the horriblesubs files are going to suffer because of this?

You don't. You just use madvr because other anons told you to.

CR PR dude.

FUCKING DAIZ DOES IT AGAIN. HE REALLY IS OUT TO DESTROY ANIME IT WASN'T A MEME.

IT WAS NEVER A MEME

Fitting concidering he's cancer itself.

>my pirated material is of very low quality this is unacceptable
>hahahha kys buyfags

>Netflix

Eh, I'd rather have daisuki pick all the seasonal animu.

user I have a question. Do you see any difference between default mpc-hc and mpc-hc with madVR?

Not even surprised.

Yeah but I compared it to other setups and it was my favorite so I sticked to that

>Daiz forces high-quality
>fuck Daiz guys
>Crunchyroll forces low quality
>fuck Crunchyroll guys

Sup Forums is just like women. Mysterious as the ocean.

It might. Or supply/demand and excess time would just have people sourcing the videos elsewhere while applying subtitles from CR since they're so easily obtained.

Your buyed material is also of low quality CR shill.

you aren't funny

CR members are pissed off about this stuff as well.

So, now we can be suffering the same fate as those who are watching Tokyo MX.

I am not a frog poster, but I need to be right now.

REMINDER that CR are where they are now because they started by ripping off fansubs.

Daiz also defends meme subs.

video banding seems to not be as bad during really dark scenes and I never see stuttering or framedrops if I use exlusive mode in mpc coupled with madvr

I'll take CR over Netflix anytime of the day. Netflix taking over anime in the west literally mean normalfags invasion.

And you speak exactly like those /r9k/ fags whining about how women don't like nice guys like them.

The human eye can't see past 8 bits images, 10 bits is placebo.

I hope they die slow and painfully, I've hated them intensely since corruption and subsequent death of my favorite forums site a few years ago.

Put me in the screencap XD

Expect 100-150 mb stream-tier torrents now.

I wonder is horrible will stop using crunchyroll then

You obviously are if you have this image save on your pc.

They won't lose shit. Faggots are already paying for that garbage, they won't mind it at all.

Based CRyify
A/10
V/10

dumb frog poster

Ohys-raws are shit though, so you'll have to wait longer for a good quality raw

Are you talking about MCAnime?

This, while I'm sure some people will complain the majority are probably already used to eating shit.

There is no point to HS if they don't use crunchyroll.

It's like the authentic Japanese experience.

So Sup Forums you gonna do anything or just complain while still paying for CR?

Well that's one way to reduce piracy- make your product so shit that people don't even want it for free

Getting into anime was a mistake anyway. If you're not dedicated enough to watch raws, you might as well move on with your life.

Does this mean the return of actual subgroups?

Does this mean the return of GRANDO SPONSOR TOKYO DAY OH CHRISTMAS

WE WARNED YOU ABOUT CRUNCHY, BRO

I compulsively save images that are amusing to me. Now, I'd love to continue this, but the thread is shitty enough.

>he things subscribing to CR makes you a buyfag
Hahaha, kill yourself.

I'm already watching raw, EOPleb.

I love anime.

Sorry Sup Forums.

I hate it, but there's nothing to be done. At least there are still some that rip subs and release higher quality video. CR was always a mistake.