I just watched this movie. I liked it. What did you guys think?

I just watched this movie. I liked it. What did you guys think?

Also, what do you guys think about the remake coming out?

Abort, now, erase your thread

Why? What's wrong with this movie?

It' not a remake, it's a live action "adaptation" and this thread is marketing for it.

but i'll amuse you anyways... Oshii movie is great. It' really intelligent, visually stunning and the pacing and narrative are superb.

The adaptation you can tell just by looking at the trailers that is just a shell with no ghost. Despise all the references and copied shoots you can tell the spirit is not there. It's gonna be all aesthetics with no substance. The plot and pacing is gonna be lost in translation to dumb it down to American audience and there won't be a drop of real cyberpunk in it.

That much is clear. Just in case you are not a marketing guy go watch innocence instead.

Nothing with that movie, Shirow's work is great.
But the live action thing is an abomination.

Preferred SAC to the movie but the movie is pretty good too.

The way they're marketing the adaptation makes it look like it has absolutely nothing to do with the themes of the original.

I did warn you
It's too late now

I'm just curious as to what you guys think.

Only japan will hate the adaptation more.

Every time I watch it, I like it less.

The more I watch Oshii movies, the less i like him as a director. GITS1/GITS2/Patlabor1/Patlabor2 all terrible.

Hopefully it's not as abominable as the Godzilla "remake" (the 2000 one, the new one I thought was pretty good).

What don't you like about his movies? I'm not too familiar with his work outside of GITS.

Its all (well animated) visual fluff filled with circle talk that goes no where and leads no where.

Ghost in the Shell has all these great ideas and does nothing with it. Major and Puppet Master say one thing and then do another. Double for GITS2.

Patlabor 2 is one of the most boring dragged out movies that makes it seem like a mystery thriller drama but lies to you the whole time. It shows you characters as if you know them and their life story that have never shown up in the first movie, or the OVAs. And worst of all it made me hate Shinobu. The first movie was a'ight.

I liked it. Not going to watch the live action movie.

>What did you guys think?
Most inspirational work from when I was 5 years old. I'd be hypocritical of myself if I said anything bad about it.

>what do you guys think about the remake com
HATE UNDENIABLE HATE
HATE HATE HATE

SAC is better.

>narrative are superb
Only thing you're wrong about. Plot and characterization are almost nonexistent in GiTS '95.

This is correct, you could watch it muted and you would not miss anything because nothing happens.

I honestly didn't really get the plot. What exactly happens after they merge?

How the story is told is everything on the original GITS. The story on itself is not really that complex but the narrative is brilliant and the pacing is magnificent.

It's a very japanese style that has to do with contemplation but still delivers on a solid narration.

Nothing.

She just kinda wanders around until somewhere near the end of GITS2.

Oh. I haven't watched the second one yet, so I'll check that out later. But that's not very exciting at all.

>How the story is told is everything on the original GITS.
What did they mean by this?

It's hot garbage. Oshii navel-gazing to the nth degree. They let him off the leash for innocence and he hung himself with it.

The A.I known as the puppet master becomes complete with the capacity of self actualization.
In a way the mayor cease to exist as she was even though she retains her personality.

Basically the puppet master strikes a deal, he lets her drive in order to be able to grow and learn from new experiences.

I liked the first half or so with Batou and the idea of if those sex bots were real people or not. Then it kinda all went to shit. But i haven't seen it since it was in theaters in 04 lol

GitS is possibly the most overrated anime to come out of that era when everything was new to Westerners, including Ninja Scroll, AKIRA, and tons of others. That said, it'll still be a masterpiece compared to the live action.

Which ended up with fuck all

The ending was dumb, Majors discussion of individualization and if she is really her, is anyone really anyone, PM focus on reproduction and humanization. Then they just go j/k lets merge and roll credits.

How can you mention Akira in your post and STILL call GiTS '95 the most overrated? At least GiTS was cohesive, Akira was just a hot mess. The manga was a masterpiece, but the movie was an impressive-looking chop job, yet it's still touted as this must-see entry-level thing.

AKIRA is still great, all that lead up to the reveal and have it be nothing. To the loss of control into the destruction of everything.

That's one way to look at it... she was questioning herself, if she had a soul, if she was real and all that but by acknowledging the puppet master as alive that meant that she was alive too and it didn't matter if she was programmed or actually the memories of a previous human.

She then put it to the test by defying section 6. She figured that if she was real then she would be able to actually choose. That would be the proof of her spirit.

At that point for defying section six they would have taken all the components belonging to the police. They owned her.
It's something that needs the context of cyberpunk to be fully understood... something that this movie adaptation is gonna fully lack.

In a way it's gonna be representative on it's own way... representative of how the punk movement died and sold out into messages of rebellion created within the system.

Thanks for the status update.