Can someone explain the character development meme to me?

Can someone explain the character development meme to me?

Why do characters HAVE to change in order to be quality characters?

Every day, people learn more about their surroundings, the people around them, and themselves. Even in the smallest ways people can change day to day, and characters going through their own changes, big or small, makes them more realistic in a way and thus more endearing and relatable.

Conversely though, a character who is too stubborn to develop [when played against other characters who do] can also be endearing for the fact that they show an aversion to change like many people do in real life, though this only ever really pays off when they eventually do come to accept change. Otherwise, the story for them feels incomplete or pointless in the context of the story as a whole.

Because a character making the same mistake over and over again is fucking stupid

>being an ideologue
No it's not, it's good writing rather than le humanist me-me

>le humanist me-me
Quality argument.

It works for comedy

>arguments are good
le humanist me-me

And good literature, rather than than the YA trash you want.

Examples of "good" literature with main characters that don't develop at all?

>le
Kill yourself.

The Recognitions

Even something much more popular like DoaSM has no character development with the protagonist and very little with his sons.
>>le
Sudoku is fun

A character doesn't have to change per se, but wider aspects of their personality should be revealed as the story progresses. Adding depth to the character's personality serves essentially the same purpose.

Why?

Because a character that doesn't get fleshed out is nothing but a prop.

Why does that matter?

Isn't any character just a prop by that logic?

Because animation is all about the plot and other non-visual qualities.

Why would you invest your time in watching a prop that never changes?

Plot driven stories and comedies don't really need much characterization or development. But with entirely character driven stories like Hibike you do need a strong, three-dimensional main character so you can relate and feel empathy for his or her intrapersonal struggles.

Why is constant change necessary for a character to be good?

Answer my question first.

ah.... this is one of those thread where user give opinion and op will answer with "lol no" or something similiar...

The same reason I would watch any anime.

Entertainment.

I guess watching what is essentially cardboard cutout versions of people could be entertaining.

OP types like a faggot, but I agree with him. Character development is one of the many buzzwords and memes that people use when they want to either praise or criticize something, but don't really know how. Just like bad pacing, plot holes, QUALITY, edgy and many others meme criticism that retards use because they can't make a compelling argument explaining why they doesn't like or like something and also because they assume works of fiction are a cook recipe that must have very specific elements in them in order to be good.
If the work doesn't do certain things, work in a certain manner or feel a certain way, these retards will apply some retarded universal rule made up by meme power to criticize it.

In truth, a work of fiction doesn't need good character development, or even memorable characters to be good, it all depends on what the author is aiming for. Not all fucking anime or works of fiction should be judged under the same rules and mentality since they are obviously fucking different from each other and strive for different things and appeal to a different mindset/audience.

I agree, it also doesn't need good direction or an interesting plot to be good. Just turn of your brain retards, you'll enjoy life much more if you turn of your brain. Stop being fucking elitists.

t. pleb
>hibekek
No.

>Just turn of your brain retards,
This is not really what I meant.

>still can't answer why
Nice argument.

Can't answer why what? You may be confusing me with some other user.

Yes.

>and relatable
How can the development of a fictional character can be relatable to you if the only thing you've done since you dropped HS is devolving (i.e. not having any kind of development) into a base-dwelling faggot?

Stop projecting.

A devolution is a development.

As long as I'm changing that makes it OK right?

Candide

Turning your brain off is literally the opposite of what that guy said though and is also a retarded advise because literally no one does that.

>bad pacing, plot holes, QUALITY, edgy and many others meme criticism
>meme criticism

Wow, just refute all criticism with "it's all memes", nice one, that's how all arguments should be.

Stop posting in this thread.

"No."

Explain first how it is a meme?

it's just the vacuous dogma of tastefags hell-bent on turning light entertainment into Serious Fucking Business high art.

in the real world, people stay the same to a far greater degree than they ever truly change.

That's not even true. Kids change a lot in a relatively short time. A highschool senior is usually pretty different from when they were freshmen. Some people are barely even recognizable by the time they finish college. Even adults go through changes. A 40 year old is worlds different from a 24 year old

Kumiko is so fucking ugly.

this is what tastefags actually believe

>you have a character A
>it gets ruined during the plot
>people call it development
there is no better explanation

Because stagnation is objectively a bad quality.

To be fair, people often do throw those around with no forethough as just meme arguments, even if they don't apply to the situation.
It doesn't make the above user's argument any less stupid, but the anti-anti-meme meme is just as blind as the anti-meme meme is stupid.

who are you quoting?

me

>this is what children actually believe
Why? muh memes?

stagnation is objectively better than negative change

Character development really isn't necessary for every character. It would be shit if a character changed for no reason.

fpbp

It's not strictly necessary but watching characters grow and address their faults can be pretty cool. It can add a sense of progress or achievement. A character can be great without having to change, but especially in the case of character-driven stories, it can keep things from going stale.

character development isn't a requirement, but I've never heard of a character becoming worse from development. It's always a bonus.

Akagi (the manga/anime) has plenty of decision-making, and virtually no character development; would the people in this thread consider it bad or good?

People who are pro and against character development in this thread seem to confuse it with characterization, depth, or agency.

at times I feel like the main characters start overly flawed (to the point that instead of relating myself with them, I keep my distance from them), just because they "needed" to go through character development to remove them (essentially, just to bring them into their actual starting points so that the manga/anime/whatever would have a bit more longevity)

personally, I'm against the notion that "if a manga/anime doesn't have character development, I'll skip it/drop it", because (among other things such as not agreeing with the "logic" behind that notion) by going with this notion, they would skip Akagi, for example.

While I do the same thing myself, as in, being favorable to manga/anime that I think has interesting decision making. Someone else could be more stimulated by something else, such as visuals, escapism, preferences for specific themes or settings, for example.