Why are KyoAni and Dogakobo so fond of having their anime's cast singing the OP or the ED...

Why are KyoAni and Dogakobo so fond of having their anime's cast singing the OP or the ED? Other studios do it as well but not to the same extent: the last time a KyoAni anime didn't have a cast member singing the OP or ED was Nichijou, while I can't even recall the last Dogakobo show where the cast didn't sing the OP or ED. Also, what is up with these two studios always using newbies for their shows?

GabDro's OP and ED are exceptionally good so I won't complain.

Was never complaining: in fact, I agree with you that GabDro's OP and ED are pretty good. I just find it weird that Dogakobo almost always has the cast do the OP and ED of their shows. They and KyoAni are the only studios who do this with such consistency.

Because it kind of makes the whole thing more tightly roped so it doesn't feel like the OP/ED is just a CM for some music company that of course is part of the committee. The OPs/EDs where the cast is singing are the best even if the song is not that good.

You can relate to the songs more this way instead of having it sung by someone else, I think.

That doesn't explain why KyoAni and Dogakobo are so consistent with the practice, while other studios (such as A1, Sunrise, etc.) do it often but not as much/not 99% of the time.

Maybe the others are a bunch of greedy bastards that would rather sell music than make a good product. Maybe that's part of why a lot of of people consider dogakobo and kyoani the best studios. Maybe it's for another reason.

Cost less money and sometimes it's not even that bad.

Because they exclusively produce SOL anime where this is appropriate.

Shaft does it too, but they often make an ED or OP for each girl.

That's only true for Dogakobo though.

But Shaft has had recent shows which didn't have the cast singing the OP or ED. Shigatsu is a recent example. And for the most part that's really only true for Monogatari: Madoka's cast EDs were only for the BDs and were not part of the broadcast version.

JUGEMU >>>> ShitKobo + Kyoanus

I dunno but I like it

>Why are KyoAni and Dogakobo so fond of having their anime's cast singing the OP or the ED?
Because that gives the best results.

Shigatsu? You mean, Sangatsu?

Yeah, meant that. Getting sleepy so my mind has been wondering.

Can we agree that KyoAni's best OP of all time remains Bouken Desho Desho? Excluding Key songs since they were either the original game OPs, or remixes of game music.

They take good care of their VAs.

they need the cast to sing at the fan events. so they only hire VAs who can sing. and then they write an OP/ED for them to sing. then when the event arrives the fans are already familiar with the songs.

i dont watch many shows but im pretty sure this is NOT kyoani/dogakobo thing. arent they doing this in urara? and they did in girlish number? and working? i feel like most shows do this now because all of the shows have fan events to make extra money.

I'm a sucker for OPs/EDs sung by the cast, so I don't care
something about it just feels like the voice actors are having a lot fun

>the GOAT anime composer + the GOAT idol group + the GOAT shamisen players
Perfect storm, nothing will ever top it

>last time a KyoAni anime didn't have a cast member singing the OP or ED was Nichijou

Was Phantom World really that forgettable?

OP here, my point is KyoAni and Dogakobo are the only studios who do it like 90% of the time. By contrast, J.C.Staff, Diomedea, and A-1 don't do it all the time, maybe only half the time at most. KanColle for example is by Diomedea but neither the OP nor the ED were done by the cast.

The simple answer is that it's cheaper.

It also helps that it means Sony/Lantis/etc are not in prominent positions on the committee or not in it at all.

But honestly, it's just cause its cheaper, especially for Dogakobo since they regularly cast newbies in their main cast.

Yes.

Azusa Tadokoro (who sang the ED) is Ruru's VA, so no it doesn't count.

>only true for Monogatari
Soremachi, Koufuku Graffiti, Hidamari and Zetsubou Sensei OP or EDs are by the cast. Ef and Nisekoi have character songs for the EDs, Just from anime I have watched, there are probably more.

Indeed, my brother.

Why are you expecting an answer from Sup Forums of all places? Do you think staff members of those studios lurk here?

While cheaper hiring newbies benefits the industry in the long run too.

I can't even remember the last time a new VA was pretty bad.

>Do you think staff members of those studios lurk here?
Newfag pls

I think the bigger question would be why anison singers have been on the decline in recent years. As recently as about 10 years ago, most anime had a dedicated singer singing the OP and/or the ED. Now, most of the time, either the OP or the ED is sung by a cast member or the cast instead, while anison singers are getting less and less work. Even the Japanese have noticed this pattern.

It's due to the rise of character/image CDs for the most part I'd say.

A shame too, since I love Kawada/Shimokawa/Ishikawa/Lia's/etc singing voices.

I still wonder if declining sales was a factor in her decision to retire. Her post Shana/Index singles just didn't sell very well.