Ontario's minimum wage will go up to $14 on Jan. 1

Everyone will have their hours cut. A dollar will buy less and there'll be less to buy because that's just how these things go I suppose, life just gets worse and the government was apparently elected to make sure it keeps getting worse.

toronto.citynews.ca/2017/12/27/minimum-wage-increase-january/

Other urls found in this thread:

globalnews.ca/news/3410101/ontario-budget-2017-debt/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Good luck, leaf

please send food

Except that's not how it works bong and our average salary is twice yours already. We pay half the taxes, have a sixth of the debt, our capital city is majority white, cost of living is way lower, etc.

3.4% of workers make less than $14 CAD ($11.50 USD) in Ontario. Nurses in the UK make almost our minimum wage.

Theyre also testing a universal basic income of 25000 in hamilton and planning to go province wide. So basically everyone will be given 25000 a year and if you feel like working to make more than that then youwill be taxed heavily to pay for all the bums.

Whats the cost of living now a days? I remember even back in 2012 single bedroom apartments in Ottawa were running like $800/month if you were lucky and the minimum wage was like 10.50/hr?

Not everyone. Like the article says, will work somewhat for retail. You can imagine stores like Best Buy and smaller, specialized stores can handle the wage hike. It’s the other 45% of retail and the rest of the low-skill workforce that’ll get shuffled hard. The Walmart employees, labourers, restaurants

How the fuck would that even work? You are still entitled to other forms of compensation, i.e. workers comp, so theoretically someone could "hurt themselves" on the job and collect whatever payout that is PLUS the 25,000...even fairly large medium sized businesses are going to go under from insurance premiums alone, not to mention $14/hr to the lowest janitor

that's retarded and won't happen.

I'm in a pretty shitty apartment in a dead city. $800 a month with heat.
Places like Ottawa are probably up at $1000/mo min. When I lived in barrie 2 years ago the only places for less than $850 were group homes/shared living crap.

I make 21$ in a seasonal job. Because it's seasonal I don't get paid for stat holidays(10 days/1 whole cheque).

Total income is about 35k a year because of ebbs and flows of work. I also need a car for my job, unlike the lower-end wage cucks who don't necessarily need a car. Yet min. wage in Ont. is now 30k.

My purchasing power is going down. Time to kms?

globalnews.ca/news/3410101/ontario-budget-2017-debt/

Western Canada succession when?

Our government likes to pretend people don't abuse welfare. It makes them look bad.
It's already happening. It's being "tested", whatever that means. I don't know what they could possibly be testing. Yeah, an extra $25000 is going to make things way easier for the select people who got it, but that doesn't scale country wide.

It doesn't work like user said. The idea is it is the only form of welfare or social insurance you can get. All the gibs rolled into 1 and the amount you get slowly drops off as you earn more.

I'm in Ottawa. basement apt with my own bath and shared kitchen is 600$ all-in. It's way out in the burbs though and this deal is honestly pretty sweet. I would imagine it would go for 800$ if I were significantly closer to DT.

Depends man, I got an apartment dt all utilities for $550

The real inflation has been really bad the past couple years. My basket takes 40% more loonies to purchase compared with 2014

God I fucking hate that slimy ignorant cuck.
Why doesn't he just move to Iran so he can suck sand nigger dick full time and leave Leafistan alone while they still have a chance to survive. If he stays in power, Canada will be a third world failed state.

>sell off a third of crown corporations
>hey look with all that money we got for that we managed to balance the books for this year only

In Ottawa? recently?

My main room is 10x20 with a hallway leading to the 3 piece bath

>My basket takes 40% more loonies to purchase compared with 2014

Bastards

I think I read somewhere that servicing Ontario's debtis our third biggest expediture, behind education and health care. Honestly we're Illinois-tier

He's almost as detestiable as Andrew Scheer.

The guy reeks of Jeb-tier autism

Yeah, I used to be able to buy a weeks worth of food for $30. Now I can't spend less than $50

Ontario has the largest debt of any sub-national government in the west.

>ontario
Hahaha

Its ok user. Surely Ontario will make great gains with green investments! Oh, China is doing that too, on a larger scale, with cheap labour?

So let us vote for Jagmeet and watch the whole system collapse under itself. I already live off grid, would love for some post apocalyptic Canada

All expenses skyrocket every few years yet minimum wage barely moves. By all accounts current minimum wage should be $18.00 based on inflation rates on all types of products and services.

If I stay away from fast food or eating out I can usually get my groceries in for 80$. Not too bad but it'll be damn near 100 in a year or two when wage increases kick in.

Honestly though I can't wait to hear people who piss and moan about a 'living wage' see what happens to their purchasing power.

Not that it matters that much in Ottawa though. Greater Ottawa/Gatineau is 1.2m and roughly 100,000 of these fuckers works for the government in this city.

>Yeah, I used to be able to buy a weeks worth of food for $30. Now I can't spend less than $50

the government isn't giving clear answers either, i dont even think Poilevere got his answer for the cost of a market basket of goods.

shit even Pittis is having trouble keeping track of the inflation. that's how rapid and bad it is. then you throwin packages always shrinking and nutritional substitutions being made and it's bad - not easy to track...

My carpentry teacher in school said he started working in the field in '77 at 12$/hr.

I started in 2012 at 12/hr. This province fucking sucks.

>12/hr
shitty man
i got a job for 14/h no experience in the summer in building fences in barhaven and kanata

Yeah that was closer to what I ended up getting as I didn't stay with that guy for long.

Did landscaping with a buddy and he gave me 17 an hour in 2013, which is ok but you're getting extra money for the hard labour, not for skill.

>$25000 inflation point
>libleft response will be "soo, this is the rising cost of capitalism not creating liveable jobs!"

Wouldn't that make you an apprentice? You work for a cut rate while a master teaches you his craft, sounds right to me

the ontario government actually re-imburses 4$/hr to employers for registered apprentices. And it's not like you're standing there watching. You are in fact working at the same time. I didn't work for a red-sealed employer or as a union member so that was a factor.

Most guys pocket the savings and then tell you they had to start at that rate too so you do as well.

>Carpentry
>$12/hr
You better be joshing me right now. When I was growing up my father paid me $20 an hour to help him at the job and I wasn't even that experienced.

Are you just feeding yourself? What's your shopping list?
Mine is usually
>500g beef
>500g of some meat that's on sale
>3 bags of milk every other week
>pasta and sauce
>beans
>ramen
>flour, yeast, and shit once a month for my bread machine
>cereal
>some pop and a bag of chips
>chocolate
>various veggies at the farmer's market
Used to total $30 but now I can't get it under $50 and without sales its like $60

damn

$60 to eat like a chinese peasant.

Usually fresh meat, a few deli meats for lunch cuz it's easy. veggies and a bit of fruit too(oranges, frozen blueberries, mixed loblaws lettuces)
I've managed to stay away from processed food and sugar over the last year and reaped the benefits as I've lost weight.

Eggs are a great source of nutrition for the price. Canned beans and frozen veggies are fairly affordable. I'll get steak if it's on sale and chicken quarters are more affordable than breasts.

Not joshing you about the wage.

It's seriously fucked up. Don't get me wrong I wasn't the greatest at picking up the finer details of the job but I was by far the hardest working labourer.

It almost seemed like I became too valuable as a labourer and never got a chance to advance to more important/challenging tasks because everyone else would pull a temper tantrum if they had to break a sweat doing labour.

Because they killed them the Christians won.

did you catch that prime roast steak sale at No Frills last week? Literally the same price as ground beef. I bought like 10kg of that shit

You should have looked for work elsewhere and got a nice reference from those fucks.

Its supposed to "save money" somehow based on the theory that they will no longer need welfare, unemployment, and disability departments at the government.

Gas ourselves please.

how many real (support a family) jobs does Canada add per year?

How many workers does it add per year?

*by workers I mean what is the inflow per annum of people? under all cateories

>get ubi
>live on idian rez
>never pay taxes get ubi get welfare and make money under the table and selling weed.

>support a family

350k townhomes. those jobs don't exist. My Papa came here after sailing during the war and worked at GM in Oshawa for 30 years. He was able to buy a massive suburban detached home with a football pitch-sized yard on his wages.

Rice is 15KG for 10 dollars.
Lasts me a few months.

>moved to Portland for a few years for job opportunity
>starting pay was meh - $10/hr, but lots of room to advance and great work experience
>four years later had negotiated my salary to just a bit over $15/hr
>nigger liberals in Portland demand minimum wage increased to $15/hr
>suddenly I'm now making minimum wage
>layoffs all around me as businesses struggle to pay entry level faggots that much
>inflation rocks the city like a motherfucker and rent goes through the roof everywhere
>take savings and flee back to the south

Should've known better than to be both that close to the west coast and Canada simultaneously.

No but I saw tenderloin steaks and roasts at loblaws for a good price so I gifted myself. 25$ roast and a couple steaks for 10$. It's rare I buy that but whatever I worked hard. Usually a sirloin roast will go for 15 and I'll get 3 days worth from it.

Food has gotten really expensive. The average small item used to be like 3$ and now is in the 6$ range. one bag of groceries is over 50$. The increase has been very quick only a couple years its shot up significantly.

>my father
LOL guys nepotism.
Like just get daddy to buy you more money.

>his father
>your grandfather's wife's son

>Should've known better than to be both that close to the west coast and Canada simultaneously.
Michigander here. The few Canadians with functioning brains fly over the border and move here faster than the illegals in the South. They complain every day about how fucking awful Canada is. I'm pretty sure they would fully support going to war with Canada to cleanse that country of retards. It's a shame such great land goes to waste because of commies.

It was $5 instead of $15 last week.

I demanded similar rates in other jobs with some mostly fake references and got them no problem. git gud faget.

If only you knew how bad it is. Everytime I step in an ER (rare) it's full of 60k a year philipino/african overweight white nurses as well as muslim FOTBers looking to loot the health care system. There's also a lot of aging boomer women who haven't paid taxes their whole lives yet are sucking the system dry

>git gud faget.
I did thats why I am not in your country anymore.

I do know how bad it is. Our ERs are filled with Canadians.

Democrats will celebrate this. They already celebrate $15/hour in some cities, ignoring the fact only a handful are paying that much and it won't be implemented until 2020

I already know three degen “friends” that worked shit jobs and lost them recently because of the min wage increase.

They’ve been so demoralized and blindsided by the outcome they aren’t even complaining on Facebook about it like they usually do, because they know it’s something they’ve advocated for. At this precise moment in time I bet they’re sitting in their parents’ basements seriously considering suicide, fully knowing that they should’ve done something with their lives other than asking for free shit all the time.

you don't sound like a guy who has friends. very treacherous.

What's it like to live in a welfare state, user?

>done something with their lives

Seriously what age are these faggots?

I don’t sound like a guy that even wants friends, actually. And that’s because I don’t. Fuck away from me, bluepiller.

25+

I'm 30 and I don't consider my life to be completely over. I'm at the point where I'd like something permanent because of my age but I've developed enough of a skill set that I'm not stuck.

They must have no skills and no willpower to learn.

The degenerate class deserves to be gassed. Best news I've heard all day

>to learn.
doesn't matter how smart you are if there are no jobs for you.

Umm. I am moving to Missisauga. Am I fucked?

There are jobs. Just not good-paying jobs.

If you keep your head down for the sake of developing a skill set then you'll make it through. Your life will suck but it beats sitting around feeling sorry for yourself.

sorry to hear that

Education is a gamble of an investment.

In canada, it's better to tell them to buy bitcoin.

I wasn't implying education.

I was imploying entry-level jobs with shit pay

What fantasy land are you living in there are no whites majorities south of the barrie line.
>Brampton
>Windsor
>Ottawa
>Toronto
>Quebecistan

I can't even walk the streets and talk to anyone because I only speak English and French.

Its an arab city. I'm sorry user

Yes but think of how much money Canadians of convenience such as myself can now repatriate to their motherland? :)

>I was imploying entry-level jobs with shit pay

>$14 minimum

>work at high end clothing manufacturer and distributer in toronto
>shit skins and chinks everywhere
>they have to meet quotas on sewing to be paid or minimum wage
>good workers were getting $15-18 per hour if producing and anyone at minimum wage we cut for being useless fucking immigrants
>min wage going up
>if you work well, you probably still only get min wage
>if you slack, you still get $15

No more incentive to do well, no more production. We are literally going to move our shit to china and only be a distributer now. Multimillion dollar company that will make more money as distributer and our country loses hundreds of jobs because of their communist ways. We will make more money than before now, which will get me a nice bonus. But still a net loss for Canada, Toronto and literally hundreds of employees.

>Ottawa
70% white

Pretty shit but it depends on the neighborhood. Many of the southern areas are which majority suburbs, south of the QEW is best. Mid to north gets dark. The city center is bad.

Godspeed user

Seattle here. Our $15 minimum wage drove jobs out of the city and made all the prices go up. So now we have less money and what money we do have doesn't go as far. Thanks progressives!

>cost of living is lower in Ontario

Sorry. I mean I'm moving to Canada, with a job lined up in Mississauga. I'm not sure where I'll be living, but I'm probably going to get a place outside of the GTA to get some more space, I commute so far now that I'm used to it and don't mind it.

When the min wage law kicked in, I started noticing a lot of small businesses closing shop. I live and work in South Lake Union, and I've noticed food joints, bakeries, hardware stores all leave the area.

tip: just keep moving. they can't jack you if you keep moving. so never stop the car and keep the windows up

If you're living outside the GTA expect a min 40min commute one way into Mississauga. Traffic is bad in the GTA.

Between west Toronto and Burlington, the first suburbs built 60-70 years ago were south of the QEW highway. These tend to be the more expensive and whiter areas.

When are you arriving user? Mississauga is a shithole.

>70% white is considered positive
fuck me. It's like they want us to move to the woods and freeze to death.

This, if I was commuting to Mississauga, I'd probably want to live in Hamilton or west/south Burlington.

My current drive is Asker-Minnesund every weekday. 100 km each way (1hr10m), so a 40 minute commute would actually be a treat. Even with bullshit traffic.

Can't wait, i work in Ottawa already but live on the Quebec side.
My wage will increase but living cost will be the same win win for me

you'll regret that commute when you are older.

commute regret will get you on your deathbead.

Rice is not less than a dollar a kilo. Where do you live. Rice is expensive now.

Yep. Save on used to have $2 per pound eye of round and pork loin. Never see that anymore, and that was 2013-14.
Hamburger went from $3 to about $6, if there is no sale. It is nuts. Basically pork loin and sale ground beef is all I buy, now.

That's fucking awful. The other thing is most traffic is in the direction to Toronto in the morning, and away from TO in the evening. If you're working in Mississauga Hamilton/Burlington will be longer than Mississauga/West Toronto (Etobicoke).
You really don't need to be so far away.

It's not dangerous in Mississauga. I've only heard of muggings at night around Dundas/Hurontario (brown area) to maybe the city center area.

Can one get through on 1200$/month in Kingston,Ontario ?

good box of chicken fingers used to cost 8 bucks now is 12 ffs what is happening to this country

but that isn't even that high

I get paid 12.5€ an hour for moving around boxes and doing work any dipshit could do
That's 19 Canadian bucks per hour
Then again my job pays a lot because it's really boring but still

My country is doing just fine. You right wingers keep sucking the cock of rich people clean. It's beyond me why you would get mad that the common person is now able to receive better compensation for their labour.

Quebec's pretty white afaik outside of montreal

depends if netto or bruto