ITT: The most pretentious anime you've seen

ITT: The most pretentious anime you've seen.

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/pretentious
youtube.com/watch?v=VnOu3qd9m2w
youtube.com/watch?v=GTmNh5iS3Yw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Elfen lied is more edgy than pretentious. Death Note is the most pretentious shit I've seen. It's was an insult to my intelligence.

>reads Descartes First and Second Meditations
>stops there and makes an entire anime based on a rudimentary understanding of it

neon gnesis evangelion

What's pretentious about that crap?

Not even pretentious, just the very definition of edgy.
Also not pretentious, did you watched 20 shows in your life? What does Death Note pretends to be?

Pic related is the true answer.
Also,Kara no Kyoukai and Psycho-Pass.

tatami galaxy

Forgot pic

>pretentious

At least learn what a word means before you use it.

Kaiba or any other Yuasa work.

Ergo Proxy is actually based on something? It was one of the most disjointed and inconsistent shows I ever watched.
Why Kaiba or other Yuasa works are pretentious?

Madoka Magica

>this thread again
Say it with me now:
LIMIT

Let's get the obvious over with:
It's just an edgy mecha show with religious symbolism that means nothing

No competition.

Serial Experiments Lain

didn't stop it from being the best and the most innovative anime from the last 20 years

Yuasa makes very straightforward stories, though. They're just heavily stylized, not unlike Imaishi or something.

Kaiba isn't too much different from any other cyberpunk adventure story.

Don't reply to obvious bait with another bait.

How is Elfenlied pretentious?

We need to go back

Besides how the opening uses Gustav Klimt's artwork with a song that's entirely in Latin?

>what is Legend of Galactic Heroes

What's pretentious about that? It's just cool and sounds/looks good

Do you really think that this means anything? The animators are autists and just took whatever looked good. There is no good relation to the actual work. Elfenlied is shit, not pretentious.

No, Elfen Lied is a properly pretentious anime. It's not trying to be deep, but it is pretentious. From the moment that clumsy secretary is killed off, you can can tell that the anime thinks very highly of itself for subverting your expectations. Then the by the numbers waifu faggotry follows, and you're left wondering if anyone looked in a mirror while making this.

The opening is fucking Latin chanting with art based on famous paintings, and the message of the series is pretty much "WHAT IF HUMANS ARE THE REAL MONSTERS?!!". The original manga is pretty much a parody of crap like that, but the anime plays it completely straight.

>Trying to make something look good is autism

>Trying to make a surprising narrative is pretentious
Jesus, you guys really have to stop.

>implying
It isn't autism to make something look good, it is autism to make references when they make no sense.

So the majority of movie directors and writers have autism?

Yes, obviously.

You literally said they weren't making references and that it was there just to look good. Also, what you said isn't autism either, it's just the director fucking around.

>Elfen Lied manga
>parody

>The opening is fucking Latin chanting with art based on famous paintings
Not pretentious, just there to look cool.

>and the message of the series is pretty much "WHAT IF HUMANS ARE THE REAL MONSTERS?!!".
So? That's the theme of the series, it doesn't mean it's pretentious.

>You literally said they weren't making references and that it was there just to look good.
No, I did not. Reread my reply. I never denied it, I said that it made 0 sense. Not in the "hurr they are trying to hard" sense, but it actually made no sense.

>Do you really think that this means anything? The animators are autists and just took whatever looked good.
You are basically saying that they used just because it looked good. Which is obvious, anime and japs in general are famous for valuing rule of the cool and atmosphere/feeling over coherence and realism

>You are basically saying that they used just because it looked good.
Yes, because it makes no good sense. That doesn't mean the same as saying "no you made shit up they didn't do it!".

>Which is obvious, anime and japs in general are famous for valuing rule of the cool and atmosphere/feeling over coherence and realism
Which is why this isn't pretentious at all.

The manga goes out of its way to be ridiculous as fuck. The anime trying to turn it into some deep serious series is exactly what makes it so pretentious.

>just there to look cool.
That's exactly what pretentiousness is all about: Putting on a cool pretense despite lacking actual substance.
>That's the theme of the series
The manga makes it clear the diclonii except Nana are just whiny murderous dindus and casually exterminates them all.

I really don't understand where you're trying to get. Are you saying they used just to look cool and that's why it isn't pretentious? Because I agree with you there.

Also, you will have to decipher this one
>That doesn't mean the same as saying "no you made shit up they didn't do it!".
For me

These.

>That's exactly what pretentiousness is all about: Putting on a cool pretense despite lacking actual substance.
Nope, pretentious is just something or someone pretending to be something that's not.
>characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved
>a pretentious, self-important waiter.

It is such trash.

Exactly, and the Elfen Lied anime pretends to be deep when it's not. The opening uses fucking bible quotes.

The only reason people rip on Elfen Lied is because it is a lot of people's "gateway anime" into non-Toonami shit.

The ironic (and sad) part is that, for many of us, that "edgy, pretentious" show opened up the eyes of a lot of anons on Sup Forums, and now they have a much wider pallet, much more appreciation for the artform, and are generally more knowledgeable about japtoons as a whole.

Its easy to pick on EF because of its awkward placement as "not quite mainstream" but also "not quite non-mainstream", and so we just end up calling it edgy or tryhard. Why? Why not just accept that it is decent, that it has a lot of gore (honestly not that much when compared with some other "good" titles that Sup Forums goes on about), and that a lot of people will inevitably watch it and want more?

Here's the thing though, Elfen Lied doesn't try to be deep, the opening doesn't try to be deep, it isn't pretending that the latim song or the paintings mean anything, it just used them because they look good, that was their intention, hence why it isn't pretentious, because they aren't pretending anything.

Thinking you're clever and playing with basic storytelling, then failing by instead insulting your audience's intelligence and misunderstanding how to provide meaningful satire or commentary is pretentious by both insulting and being the subject of your derision. Pretentiousness doesn't have to be watching beetles fuck to a symphonic orchestra.

At no point does Elfenlied try to be "deep". The dumb message is straight into your face man.

Again, they don't pretend that said bible quotes mean anything, it just looks cool. Do you think that Pulp Fiction is pretentious because Samuel Jackson quotes the bible?

>pretension
>/prɪˈtɛnʃ(ə)n/
>noun
>1. The black and white final episode of Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster.

Fuck you.

>Thinking you're clever and playing with basic storytelling, then failing by instead insulting your audience's intelligence and misunderstanding how to provide meaningful satire or commentary
That's just bad writing though. Elfen Lied deliver its message, it's a show about humans being assholes and everything being grim dark, it doesn't pretend to be that, It IS that, hence, it isn't pretentious. You're confusingsomeone failing to deliver a good narrative with a narrative being pretentious.

ITT: How do dictionaries work?

>People thinking that someone using something just because it looks good/cool is pretentious
Jesus fucking Christ. By that definition, 90% of anime is pretentious.

If you've actually read the original manga, you'll instantly notice how hard the anime is pretending to be a serious work of art that has some message to tell, when that's really not the point of the series.
>At no point does Elfenlied try to be "deep".
They literally replace the titular song with some retarded music box and clock metaphors in the anime.
If Pulp Fiction had a reading of bible quotes and various musical covers of it as its soundtrack, it would be pretentious as fuckl

Only real thing that felt too forced was the attempt at making me sympathize with Lucy by making people seem like outrageous mega villains and serial butchers just because she has horns.

She's still an insane monster, pretty glad she bit the bullet in the manga.

The narrative was alright, execution of it just annoyed me.

>They literally replace the titular song with some retarded music box and clock metaphors in the anime.
Yes, and? You unironically don't know what pretentious actually means.

Why the fuck does anybody call this pretentious? Seriously.

Did you just watch the OP and think "ooh pretending to be so high-brow"

>samefagging this hard
Was Elfen Lied your first anime or something?

Hope you aren't this insecure in real life.

Every time I've heard someone say "Elfen Lied tried too hard to be deep" it is pretty much 90% about the OP. You know, something that has nothing to do with the content.

What about the actual fucking show? Is there something particularly "trying to be soooo meaningful" about it? I don't think so. Look, I agree that the anime is complete garbage, but let's be real

Elfen Lied has a bad reputation because it's babby's first edgy anime to make them realize "Whoa anime really isn't just for kids" but you have to remember that that show came out in fucking 2004? Okay, that's 13 years ago. And when Sup Forums was in it's infancy, it was true that it was a babby's first and fun to call it pretentious but these days there are way worse targets that are actually really pretentious and not just shoving symbolism in the OP

>5 seconds in MS Paint
You're the one who's insecure just because Elfen Lied is getting rightfully bashed for being an edgy pretentious anime, newfag.

>Being this pathetic
Keep telling yourself that. I know what the truth is. And look up the word pretentious.

>You know, something that has nothing to do with the content.
Except they pull out a fucking music box that plays the opening as BGM during the episodes.

>I know what the truth is.
So you know that it's pretentious and you're wrong, then. Good to know.

And what exactly did it change? Nothing. There was no theme in the show that the OP took to something "deeper". Not a single one. It's plain trash nothing more, nothing less.

Okay and that's like, what? 1% of the series? Maybe less? What about everything else?

It's just a fucking violent gory mess but it's not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about preteniousness

It tries to take a look at morality and the depths of human depravity, but is incapable of being anything other than extremely ham-fisted and one-dimensional.

No, I know that it's shit, but not pretentious and your ego is just too big to admit that you didn't knew what the word meant.

This was a huge chore to watch, and the epilogue was probably the most boring piece of media ever produced.

dictionary.com/browse/pretentious

Yeah, I'd say Elfen Lied fits. It tries to be some deep, meaningful look at human nature, even though it is nowhere near talented enough to actually be that.

But none of those fit.

Art can't be pretentious, since it can't hold pretensions about itself. Try starting a thread about pretentious directors next time.

>he thinks anime is actual art

older than 20 years
then again so is Eva

People are defending Elfen Lied on Sup Forums? What the fuck? It was horrible and so are you if you liked it

art is a buzzword at this point, and holding one form of media as having more inherent worth than another is a meme

All of the monogatari series.

There are zero (0) persons itt saying that it is good in anyway.

>Fate/Zero
People pretend that it's complex narrative and character study when really it's just a clusterfuck with bad pacing and robotic characters (except Rider and Waver, they had the only decent arc)

No one's fucking saying it's good, they're just saying it's not pretentious. And it isn't, it's just a dumb edgefest. The fans managed to be pretentious about it for reasons I will never fucking understand, but the show itself is completely unapologetic lowbrow trash.

One character being pretentious, and then later rethinking it, is very different from the movie itself being pretentious.

I don't know why you fags like it so much.

you posted it OP.

This anime wasn't pretentious, it was just shitty.

Why do you guys not know what pretentious means?

>Psycho-Pass
YEah, i actually liked it but all the pointless "smart" quotes without context just came across as unnecessary.
I mean, this one girl that made pretentious art out of corpses based on shakespear plays got caught because her art wasn't as pretentious as her father did it and that's how they solved the crime.
Also those cool guns are stupid, if a real police gun would take like 5 seconds for authentification before every shot it would go straight into the garbage.

Isn't it obvious? It doesn't matter if its pretentious, the only thing that does matter is the fanservice.

In this era, I think that Elfenlied is not surprisingly grotesque.
Elfenlied was an anime of an old age.
I thought it was grotesque. but
Tokyo Goole was more grotesque.
Elfenlied took in all taboos.
But the content was great.

youtube.com/watch?v=VnOu3qd9m2w

>complex narrative
Where?
>character study
It actually has this and you cannot deny it.

I found it to be a pretty good anime that knows how to dose action and breathers. Also, I liked the characters, and enjoyed the relationships they had with their servants. That they would get erased one after another is also another part of the ineluctability aspect I enjoyed that went well with the theme of the War.

That they more or less all got fucked in the ass by the events is just Schadenfreude.

Judging by the definitions of pretense.

>pretending or feigning; make-believe
>a false show of something
>a piece of make-believe.

That's literally all anime.

Stop this meme

>if a real police gun would take like 5 seconds for authentification before every shot it would go straight into the garbage.
if the Police in Psycho Pass worked the same way yeah. but the difference is police officers in real life are out patrolling and never know when they will need their weapon in the blink of an eye. in Psycho Pass everything is monitored by the syble system so theyre just at the office all day until someones hue gets clowded. so in reality the dominator is perfectly fine in the context of Psycho Pass.

if it has a scene of girl cutting her hair, it is automatically pretentious as fuck

Muh dialogues but I don't actually know nihongo

Yeah, the situations is pretty different, but when they encounter actual criminals it's still a major flaw. If it takes that long to recognize a criminal fine, but it looks like that goes pretty fats and they only have to wait for the voice and the transformation. To be fair, the show does not need to have that level of detail to be great, but it annoyed me every time.

So fucking Pokemon is pretentious lmao

I guess it is if they really wanted to show that

>talking shit about Now and Then, Here and There

youtube.com/watch?v=GTmNh5iS3Yw