Laurie Penny: The threat to free speech on campus is a right-wing fantasy

>May I speak freely? Of course I may. In the course of the next eighty lines, as long as I don't libel anyone with enough money to sue this magazine, I can pretty much say whatever I like. That’s news, however, to a certain spluttering centre-right chorus, which has accepted as doctrine the idea that our political conversation is drowning in censorship – from the left, from activists, and particularly from students.

>The most important thing to remember about this virulent epidemic of student censorship is that it doesn’t exist. It’s made-up. In the past few years the bloviating, hand-wringing articles and books and whining interventions about "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" have far, far outnumbered the actual use of these fairly moderate tactics on campus. It’s a right-wing fantasy. People desperately want it to be true that young people today can’t cope with new ideas, because otherwise they’d have to take the new ideas these silly kids have about social justice seriously.

The most important thing to remember about this virulent epidemic of student censorship is that it doesn’t exist. It’s made-up. In the past few years the bloviating, hand-wringing articles and books and whining interventions about "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" have far, far outnumbered the actual use of these fairly moderate tactics on campus. It’s a right-wing fantasy.

newstatesman.com/politics/education/2017/10/threat-free-speech-campus-right-wing-fantasy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HwF9SFaKy6U
youtu.be/ZJNzVzd6fI4
rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/38897/PDF/1/
books.google.com/books/about/Trigger_Warnings.html?id=BUklDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false
youtu.be/oj9dA6E3fJw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Until someone has something controversial they want to talk about, right?

This is nothing more than hand-wringing propaganda to belittle a problem they don't want to acknowledge.

Fuck this stupid cunt.

transgender is a mental illness. stop parading these people around like dogs in dresses who dance.

Please do NOT deport that creature to the USA. We have enough nose pickers already.

Who cares what that thing thinks

>help me

>hand-wringing
That's anti-Semitic, off to the slammer for you.

Bullshit
youtu.be/HwF9SFaKy6U

>the new ideas these silly kids have about social justice
Where does the left get off believing their ideas are still fresh or novel or even radical? Oh look, we repackaged the civil rights muh equality stuff but now it's about trannies. How original.
Same old lies peddled by the same old wrinkled jews. How about we try decent white nations for a change, there's a new idea that hasn't been tried in anyone's lifetime.

In a crazy way, some of these leftwing lunatics don't realize they are wrong.

You see, to him/her there really isn't censorship. If someone is forbidden from saying something then it must be really bad so that doesn't count.

Censorship is only when you're forbidden from saying something acceptable, in their mind.

>best star wars ever
>the social justice was so thick I wanted to ride it like big black dick
I think God realizes that women were a mistake, but it's too late

she looks like a man.

>as long as I don't libel anyone
>(with enough money to sue this magazine)

youtu.be/ZJNzVzd6fI4

Uni sucks got kicked out of class for.habing this video on my phone (during class)

youtu.be/ZJNzVzd6fI4

>there is no threat to free speech
>if you disagree you are clearly a nazi

>its a right wing fantasy
>she says, as right wingers get banned from speaking universally

really makes your dick hard

Underneath it's the same tired Marxist paradigm of oppressor/oppressed. (Neo-Marxism) They took Marx's central, incorrect ideas of a zero sum game, revolution, and critiquing western culture without any regard for historical precedence and applied it all to religous, racial, socio economc demographics in order to create a new Proletariat(Minorities) and a new Bourgeoisie(Whites/Majority).
They simply stopped trying to justify their Marxist ideas on Modernist grounds, where they have a snowball's chance in hell, and instead adopted Postmodern rhetoric where they obfuscate any blame and redefine morality into relativism by rejecting reality.

>>The most important thing to remember about this virulent epidemic of student censorship is that it doesn’t exist.

Use this exact argument about Rape Culture and watch her twat invert with rage.

>have far, far outnumbered the actual use of these fairly moderate tactics on campus
My extremism is actually moderate, guys.

It's absolutely real. I would lose my job for talking like 90s bill Clinton.

Dude doesn't look like a lady. Soy, not even once.

That's funny. Black scholar Emily Joyce Knox just wrote a book about how real a threat trigger warnings are to intellectual freedom.

rucore.libraries.rutgers.edu/rutgers-lib/38897/PDF/1/

books.google.com/books/about/Trigger_Warnings.html?id=BUklDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

Oh this cunt

youtu.be/oj9dA6E3fJw

Lmao at thinking you’re fighting the powah writing for the new statesman

"Jumped-up schoolgirl." BTFO.

Sorry, I'm a researcher at Stanford and I cannot even say that I support the President without suffering social and professional censure.

>free speech is hate speech
>there is no threat to free speech
pink haired whores should coordinate their messages a little better

you ought to be ashamed, British people...

HOLY FUCK THAT'S HER? MY GOD WHAT AN UGLY CUNT, HERE TWITTER AVI LOOKED A BIT CUTE, FUCKING KILL ME