Study Finds Reddit’s Controversial Ban of its Most Toxic Subreddits Actually Worked

>It seems like just the other day that Reddit finally banned a handful of its most hateful and deplorable subreddits, including r/coontown and r/fatpeoplehate. The move was, at the time, derided by some as pointless, akin to shooing criminals away from one neighborhood only to trouble another. But a new study shows that, for Reddit at least, it has had lasting positive effects.

>Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology took this question seriously, as until someone actually investigates whether such bans are helpful, harmful or some mix thereof, it’s all speculation. So they took a major corpus of Reddit data (compiled by PushShift.io) and examined exactly what happened to the hate speech and purveyors thereof, with the two aforementioned subreddits as case studies.

>Essentially they looked at the thousands of users that made up CT and FPH (as they call them) and quantified their hate speech usage. They then compared this pre-ban data to the same users post-ban: how much hate speech they produced, where they “migrated” to (i.e. duplicate subreddits, related ones, etc.) and whether “invaded” subreddits experienced spikes in hate speech as a result. Control groups were created by observing the activity of similar subreddits that weren’t banned.

Conclusions:
>Post-ban, hate speech by the same users was reduced by as much as 80-90 percent.
>Members of banned communities left Reddit at significantly higher rates than control groups.
>Migration was common, both to similar subreddits (i.e. overtly racist ones) and tangentially related ones (r/The_Donald).
>However, within those communities, hate speech did not reliably increase, although there were slight bumps as the invaders encountered and tested new rules and moderators.

techcrunch.com/2017/09/11/study-finds-reddits-controversial-ban-of-its-most-toxic-subreddits-actually-worked/

Wonder when this will be applied to Sup Forums so it'll turn left again, like in the old days :)

Other urls found in this thread:

alexa.com/siteinfo/Sup
youtube.com/watch?v=_1d3Kxx36gY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most of them just moved to pol and became far more "hateful"

This "study" is a meme.

>Most Toxic Subreddits
what does this mean by this

>censorship works
Nice

Well yeah they just left reddit.

You ban places for people to discuss a certain topic, they stop talking about it or move to another place that does. You won't find people spewing things like "I hate niggers" in places like r/aww.

>Judeo-censorship works

wow who would've thought

censorship great idea op. you nigger faggot

>Decrease the popular places where """hate speech""" is allowed
>hate speech goes down

SHOCKING

Sup Forums was never left, /new/ was fucking neo-nazi.

i want to see how many people kicked their dog after they got banned

The board's name is literally 'Politically Incorrect'. We come here specifically to post things that are not PC and would get us banned almost anywhere else.

Why the fuck do you want this gathering closed? We will scatter to every corner of the internet and shit up every last website and there will be no warning for raids. You only hurt yourself by losing sight of the enemy, baaaka.

> Reddit
> pro net neutrality
> pro censorship

banning thing results in less of thing...

If you ban your enemies, you win

Coontown came to pol and fph came to /fit/

>study finds things banned from reddit are no longer on reddit

holy shit OP

ITT: people who unironically think banning a thought makes it go away.

powerful study

/thread

Georgia Tech a communist fat coon school as a reliable source.

You can't just post this and expect me not to laugh.
I'm trying to imagine the posters that do this meme

>study confirms something obvious
Why are there so many studies for common sense shit? "Bans work" isn't groundbreaking. To think that money was spent on this worthless research is infuriating.

except that reddit is the 8th most visited site in the world while Sup Forums is 86,723th so no one cares enoug to censor it

I was there when they banned r/jailbait and the images posted there weren't even illegal. The worst of them were swimsuits.

Censorship works, that's the issue.

>if you ban "hatespeech" you see less "hatespeech"
>if you ban users, you see fewer users

Uh... OK?

I miss r/coontown

>move from one overtly racist place to another overtly racist place
>hate speech did not increase

No shit, their entire discourse is predicated on what these people would consider "hate speech". You can't go over 100%.

>literally EVERYONE agrees with us
>(after we ban everyone who doesn't)
dae fucking love science?

What does dae mean?

Simply deplatforming them won't be enough.

Delete Sup Forums and permaban for frogposting

I believe in the second coming of moot

>a study of subreddits
quality college education there

>r/neofag banned
such bullshit

Or our innate structure prevents it to a certain degree. Sup Forums was designed the way it was for a reason. It has barely changed in 12 years for the same reasons.

>Delete Sup Forums
unironically this. Or remember when captcha was removed from Sup Forums? Do that again. This place has got stale and unfunny now

THEY KILLED r/FATPEOPLEHATE!?

Reddit is already so restrained with its obvious bias. Yeah, the users left... And they're never coming back. gg no re

There are millions of more homeless people than presidents of the United States so obviously homeless people matter and who cares about presidents!

Yes apparently they deemed it hateful.

It's r*ddit-speak for "I'm a faggot and I love sucking nigger dicks"

Hateful to obese bastards who won't take care of themselves!

>Sup Forums is 86,723th
Maybe you should post a source before you start spouting bullshit.

alexa.com/siteinfo/Sup Forums.org

>Alexa ranking

>hate speech

what did they mean by this?

If you're scattered to every corner of the internet you can't organize your autistic crusades or try to bring back nazism past the edgy meme phase

>Wonder when this will be applied to Sup Forums so it'll turn left again, like in the old days :)
Sup Forums has never been left. Nor were /new/ and /n/(news was the original /n/). The latter were both deleted twice for "being stormfront". In fact, the farther back you go, the more overtly fascist the board is.

r/fuckwhitepeople is ok though

This is all predicated on the false assumption that what was taking place in these sub reddits was bad. "hate speech" is a bullshit term meant meant to marginalize and demonize perfectly reasonable opinion. Human bio diversity is real and no amount of suppression or demonization will change the growing list of inconvenient facts, even if these facts are later classified as "hate facts". The authoritarians guarding the status quo are looking for reasons to suppress free speech just as members of the religious hierarchy sought to suppress the growing understanding of our earth and its place in the cosmos in order to protect the old order. It will not work. The cats out of the bag. Behavior is heritable and racial genetic clusters are real, not imagined. No modern day Spanish inquisition is going to stop the spread and increase in this knowledge and even if researc h is outlawed in the west it will flourish in China and Japan. The religious verities crumbled under the weight of science as so to will the racial egalitarian "verities" of today.

>techcrunch
YYYEAHAHGHNRGHGHHBHHGHRHHGHDRUMPFDRUMPFDRUMPFDRUMPFDRUMPF

Forcing an idea into an obscure echo chamber DOES make it harmless and ineffectual though...

Oh wow, I didn't know user was a BBC loving fag. He seemed like such a cool guy.

Lefties wonder why people hate them. Their continual obsession with just lying all the fucking time.

>hate facts
Please tell me that that is not a thing.

moot tried to ban all of Sup Forums before. it fucked the entire site beyond repair due to the migration that took place.

But the right way to look at it is they are obese due to not taking care of themselves at no fault of their own, or the evil food corporations with their suggestive commercials made me eat it.

>if we censor people with oposing views they wont speak
O...k? If anything this is fuel to defend free speech and not fall into a censored world

Sup Forums is Sup Forums.

>86,723th
Too high. We need to cleanse this place of newfags.

A typical, leftard, imbecillic study;
That study in a nutshell literally states :
Deleting all (((hate speech))) resulted in (((hate speech))) deleted.

Wow. Only ppl as retarded as leftists find this amazingly surprising ans awsome.

I mean even a dead monkey could have concluded that on its own, without any study.
It's literally retarded. It's literally leftist.

or they jsut made new accounts lol

i make new reddit accoutns daily because i cant go a day or two of posting without getting banned by the cucks in /r/canada

i have made posts that cite scientific studies, fully backed by the data and no opinionated at all and been banned for racism

any science that hurts feels = racist

so yeah this study is a piece of shit, plus you can torture numbers till they tell you whatever you want to hear, its incredibly easy to fudge regression

>I CAN'T SO IT SO IT DOESN'T HAPPEN
i can't get over how bafflingly stupid this logic is.
/r/politics is basically unusable unless you're a tie-dye haired carousel of self-diagnosed mental issues. I'm thinking they're classifying Hate speech in a way to make their numbers work.

>wasn't around for /new/s deletion
The problem was the overreaction from the leftard mods and libtards

I don't think this excuse is going to fly big guy, the fellas over at Reddit seemed to have made up their mind, "NO WALL, NO KKK, NO RACIST USA, goy"

>make certain speech illegal
>people stop saying it
But it sure didn't save the USSR.

>moot tried to ban all of Sup Forums before
You mean old /new/? Right?

This ban literally created an exodus and permanent demographic of shill hating assholes who then came back for the election, angry and inspired. It was gamergate for older guys like me who haven't gamed in a decade.

Well done, guys. Well done. Seriously. Thank you for firing Victoria and turning AMAs into shillfests and passing the way for the Trump era of global butthurt.

We never could have done it without you.

>try to act like a smartarse
>while agreeing with the post you're trying to contradict
Spastic.

>toxic subreddits
You are like little baby

You really think the OP, who thinks "old Sup Forums was lefty" would know what /new/ was?

>when your ideology does not stand up to competition and requires a highly moderated place to survive

Wewlad

Because many of these studies are done by grad students with absolutely no drive or creativity so they make up "studies" to confirm self-evident information to continue to get government grant gibsmedat.

So let me get this straight ...
Banning the fringe groups where people can freely talk about stuff defined as "hate speech" leads to those users leaving the site or using less hate speech. And this is deemed a "success".

To illustrate this idiocy, imagine banning hockey subreddits, discovering that less people on Reddit were discussing hockey, and then saying that this means people are playing less hockey in the world.

Georgia Institute of Technology (GIT) is run by retarded niggers.

Are you retarded son? I'll explain it for you you fucking retard, /new/ deletion was worse and it had nothing to do with migration.
Go back to redit you low iq soy boy cunt.

Because it isnt actually serious hate dumbass

>the USSR
The USSR failed for economic reasons bad comparison, not because people wanted Communism to be replaced.
youtube.com/watch?v=_1d3Kxx36gY

>proceeds to agree again without even realising it
Oh deary deary me.

Its on voat now

They need to hurry up and ban /r/kotakuinaction

>so angry he can't even quote right
>and he's still embarrasing himself
lmao

>censorship is effective
news at ten

Firstly
I wasn't agreeing with you
Secondly you can't read and are a fool.
I mean you can actually see i'm talking about something else.
Typical Brit cuck

>The USSR failed for economic reasons (communism) ... , not because people wanted Communism to be replaced.

Thats another nice display of leftism being a mental disability

>censorship makes the stuff you censored occur less
HOLY FUKCING SHIT EGGS DEE

Not as angry you are when you look at your dick.

>muh hate speeeche
No such thing, faggot

>deleted his EMBARASSING post to try to save face

>r/canada
>canadian fuckin redditors
how fag can a group get?

0/10 leftist troll.

fpbp

Communism fails because it's an ideology for losers

There was the roody-poo time too.

Maybe he was just pretending to be retarded?

>tfw no funny word filters just the same nigger ones forever

>You have to go back (to reddit???)
Was the victoria thing that big of a deal?

>when burger millennial talked about shit which he doesn't know

Nigga, you went full retard.

USSR falls because every major nations in USSR sees than system doesn't work.