The rise and fall of Christians Conservatism

Question for Americans (particularly if you grew up in the 90s)

I read a lot online that the Christian Right (and Christianity in general) was more powerful and influential in the 90s.

I remember watching a doc called Jesus Camp back in 2006 and it seemed like Evangelical Christianity had complete control over America through George Bush.

My question is: how did this change? When did American young people stop being religious? How Christian would you say most Young’s white Americans are today compared to the 90s or the 2000s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JEvy8mROAj0
novusordowatch.org/francis/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sexual revolution killed Christian religion and the rise of cultural marxism infiltrating academia.

It seemed like the victory of Obama in 2008 signalled the end of the ‘Culture War’ and the victory of social and cultural liberalism over the culture of (predominantly white) evangelicals.

Is that part of the reason why Trump won? Evangelicals just went ‘fuck it, we need to piss off these liberals.’

it was probably mostly down to being raised by single mothers tbqh

It probably fell because the parents banned everything would be my guess. I've heard of parents crazy enough to ban even something like pokemon. Many things I didn't have any clue about growing up like how many people in my generation had parents that went ballistic if they didn't make all As.

THe sexual revolution was in the 60s/70s. The vast majority of young Americans have pre-marital sex and im pretty sure they did in the 90s as well.

Do you remember the 90s? Did Christianity have a stronger cultural grip?

1993 baby here in Massachusetts, born and raised

Maybe 1% of people my age are actually religious. Plenty will say they "believe in god", but the vast majority don't attend church, and none of them actually behave in a Godly way.

It's probably different in other parts of the country, I would assume.

>how did this change?
Our generation doesn't believe in God. We grew up on the internet, so most of us couldn't be indoctrinated in a closed environment, like most religious people grew up in. The Christian Right probably lost a lot of power once it had ZERO influence in the youth.

They also have horrible PR. The Christian Right associates itself with Abortion and being anti-gay. Nobody wants to listen to people if the first thing you think of is "dead babies" when they are mentioned. Terrible optics.

Do you remembers the 90s? Was CHristianity bigger?

I wanna say that tv and mtv in particular just outshined and entertained way more than acoustic guitars and campfires. Mtv, pokemon, and who had an n64 became more important. Couple those bright shiny things with parents who have no idea how to parent other than saying no and youve got an entire nation experiencing the same thing as the pretty blonde girl never to be around niggers. once they turned 18 they flocked to those things. look at how they cling to “nostalgia” like legend of zelda and the like. its not nostalgia, they just want to maintain that magical feeling forever.

>The Christian Right probably lost a lot of power once it had ZERO influence in the youth.

That’s a fucking massive cultural change though. It seemed from the UK like Radical Christian right wing politics basically ran the US during the Bush years. It’s what gave rise to the popularity of the New Atheists and the rest is history.

It might seem a bit cliche but I reckon a lot of the turmoil that America is finding itself in is basically due to the rapid and astounding decline of genuine religious belief amongst the youth.

Mike Pence is a christian fascist, they haven't gone anywhere. They have more power than they did in the 2000s now.

This

Evangelicals being irrationally ban-happy was pretty much a primer for my atheist streak.

The sexual revolution and neomarxist academia set up the next generation for cultural failure. It wasnt instant.

The children of divorcees, single mothers, and then raised in academic institutions with no christian moral grounding

Absolutely this. When Obama won, or perhaps in circumstances that caused Obama to win, the forces that wished the destruction of Christian America were given complete power, and with Obama's presidency, they were given a symbol. Trump is the result of the vacuum of power left by Christian conservatism being replaced by a progressive but pro-traditionalist force: white nativists.

It is part of the transition of worship of Christ to worship of the last great man to die in martyrdom to save his people, and I think we all know who that is.

>Mike Pence
>fascist
Lol. Guy literally hasn't done anything to anyone....but you did oust yourself as the only LGBTQ+79F4 Faggot in here.

>basing your opinion on the religion of your forefathers on a documentary of a fringe group

OP....

>Jesus Camp was coproduced and filmed by Grady in 2005 and debuted at the 2006

>She is the stepdaughter of James Grady.[2] Grady was raised Jewish and still considers herself Jewish.[3]

You can be in San Francisco or Boston and Leftists will swear that the Religious Right controls everything and oppresses them.

evangelical christians worship israel and will be the first to go into the ovens

The thing is, in the UK about half of people consider themselves Christian; a minority actually go to Church; apart from Rees-Mogg Christian social Conservatism basically just isn’t a thing here. Very few people my age grew up going to Church.

I get the sense that from 2007-2013 the internet’s was full of fedora atheists becau se they were the first American generation to basically reject Christianity consciously.

Thing is, religion provides community and informs moral and politically opinion. Atheism doesn’t provide and moral absolutes or guidance so the youth just fell into radical ideologies (sjw and alt-right). Is that what happened?

My family was religious but most of the times my parents gave me lots of freedom and space.

Yeah I remember growing in this time period, and I got into the whole fedora tipping shit because I didn’t like young earth creationists and the whole evangelical Christian conservative bullshit. At the end of the bush years people just got sick of that shit, not to mention the shit response to hurricane Katrina paved the way for Obama as some sort of savior to the country. After Obama got into office, the left became way more ballsy and the Democrats started blatantly moving people into more areas to increase their chances of flipping states blue so they could win elections. It’s what happened to my home state of Virginia, Obama won there and then the Dems fucked its shit up politically

I hope the snap back in the opposite direction is twice as hard; we might have a chance to save the country

>I remember watching a doc called Jesus Camp back in 2006 and it seemed like Evangelical Christianity had complete control over America through George Bush.

this was never the case. you looked at one documentary and extrapolated it to the whole country. it's like seeing one girl get cut up into a kebab in the UK and assuming that all the girls are getting cut up into and served as kebabs.

tldr; you're a retard, achmed.

But why would the internet make you not believe in something? You can go to websites for either cause. I was always on fringe websites and never really got the internet hivemind. Granted I'm more spiritual than religious. I base my beliefs in the supernatural from my spiritual experiences and what I've read online.

>But why would the internet make you not believe in something?
Niggah, are you for real?

George Bush was basically controlled opposition. He claimed to be a Christian while taking Saudi oil money, being the archetypical incompetent conservative leader and doing nothing at all for Christianity or western culture in general.

Yes I am. There are websites literally stating any viewpoint.

>My question is: how did this change?

Internet. That's the best answer I can give. Wit the Internet came a lot of people who didn't fall into the Evangelical camp connecting with each other, realizing the Evangelicals didn't represent everyone and were more hypocrites than anything else. They pushed way too hard on social issues and the rest of the country pushed back, until we got the rise of social justice and identity politics doing the same thing.

Most of the evangelicals are just fake people too. People trying to sell others on how moral THEY LOOK when they're always caught doing immoral shit. So it lead to less and less people wanting to be associated with them. Not even saying they're politics are/were 100% wrong, just that they were obnoxious assholes about it which didn't help them.

This is kind of what I'm talking about above, but more specific. It's like they tried controlling and shutting everything down that wasn't MUH JESUS and people just had enough of their shit by the time the late 00s came about.

That broke them apart too because one thing the normies can't control or won't adhere too is "don't have sex outside marriage"... The normie Christians can't seem to help themselves and fuck like rabbits while pretending to be virgins.

This is true. However just another log thrown into the fire, not so much the root cause. By today's standards, idk, bush might actually be liberal. He amnestyed spics after all.

The documentary goes into a lot of stats about the influence of evangelical Christianity on the Republican Party. Also, my impressions of the USA under the Bush years and before in the 90s as a very Christian dominate day culture also came from family I have in rural Southern Illinois.

Imagine my shock the producer of the film is one of (((them)))

Christianity is the shackle weighing down American white nationalism. Death of Christianity is the first step to true nationalism.

Nah dude, Jesus Camp really struck a nerve with a lot of people. Especially all the kids who grew up with Jesus shoved down their throats since it was all the rage in THE LEFT BEHIND days.

those were mcdonald-esque churches. jesus camp was an extreme. a jewish toilet documentary that tried to make it appear that all christians behaved this way. Most people simply do not care, and culture has been degrading fast.

the so-called religious right might have been genuine if not for just about every church being 501c3 aka regulated by the government for tax write-off purposes. and for the fact that these churches, if they did give a 'wink-wink' towards a political candidate, it was always a pro-israel zionist neocohen, the goodest of goys.

you can't establish a political movement on whispers.

The death of Christianity is the death of white conservatism, i.e. the fall of America.

Mohammed Camp is on Liveleak

As opposed to pre-internet, where you would have never seen anti-christian or god-is-fake broadcasting in many religious areas.

No, Christianity is fundamentally incompatible with the advancement of nationalist ideals.

I think you're right here: The biggest change I noticed was during the Obama years. Right after he won there was a huge uptick in right-wing christianity (he's the antichrist!!!! the end is near!!!!) but then it died down eventually.

It most definitely was Evangelicals feeling they lost the culture war. It was a bit of a facade though. Because even though when they turn on the TV 99% of the garbage is mocking them and making them feel alienated, 90% of American towns are still like them and in these towns the church still holds a lot of power.

THIs is the point that Pat Buchanan made about the death of Christianity in Europe meant the beginning of the end for the European tribe; he argued that religiosity was basically the only thing keeping the US conservative.

Another problem was that the Evangelicals gripped about Muslims a lot and back then, Bush's military was kicking their asses more than we gave them credit for because we didn't have or see as many attacks. So it made the Evangelicals look like huge hypocrites constantly preaching "THE MUSLIMS ARE GONNA TAKE OUR FREEDOMS" while literally talking about taking freedoms away from people because MUH JESUS.

They became piss poor defenders of Western civilization because they only cared about their modern brand of fake self-serving religion. NOW we see the Muslims as more of a legitimate threat to everyone. But the Christians needed to shut the fuck up and stop playing the victim and show the Muslims as threats to everyone, not just them in particular.

Christians voted in immigrants then got outnumbered by immigrants

Tv, magazines, movies, anywhere where (((they))) control. The attack on Christians isn't recent, it's been going on for at least a century.

Lefties went all in with LGBT

Righties went all in with pedophiles

Both parties are crippled by degeneracy.

Christianity is the glue that keeps America from completely imploding. Remove that glue and EVERYTHING goes to hell in a handbasket.

internet really undermines any sort of spirituality, tbqh. it's hard to hold onto beliefs when you can pretty much directly look at the entire world of beliefs through your screen and see contradiction after contradiction pointed out by people more well read than you for pretty much any religion from any time period, all of it emanating through a little screen.

the digital revolution killed christianity. that's the major event that happened in the mid 2000s to cause this. now imagine being born into that, and not just being a witness to its growth. that's the state of the coming generations.

however, my burger friend, there is hope. it's up to the religious institutions themselves to reinstate it, but there is hope. TRADITION is the one thing missing from peoples lives these days, and one thing they constantly search for. in this digital world, spirituality may practically be kill, but traditions and values are highly sought out by a lot of people, and religions with proper marketing could really capitalize on this.

i think orthodox christianity could make a comeback in the new world if they were able to into marketing. catholicism would also work, if not for the fact that the pope is literally satan and their values are slowly getting gnawed away by progressivism and the need for pew shekels.

The United States being less white then it was in 1990's had an impact. Urbanization, which is related to the former, did as well.

But the seeds were sown in the 1960's and 70's. Cultural traditionalists (many of which had been Democrats) struck a bargain with the corporate class that had always controlled the Republican Party. The deal was that they would defend the Traditionalists cultural norms and traditions if the Traditionalists embraced muh tax cuts and muh free markets. However, only the Traditionalists lived up to their side of the bargain. The corporate class (aka the GOPe) were perfectly fine with losing the culture wars, so long as they won at the ballot box. Its not like Christians were going to vote Democrat. Meanwhile, the Left took over every single cultural institution. Both factions of the Right suppressed the white nationalist movement, who they viewed as being too radical and violent, even though it was the most historically effective.

The Christian Right did themselves no favors by refusing to get involved in cultural institutions as they viewed the larger society as corrupt and sinful and, like much of the Right, created their own alternative institutions. But it became a fucking echo-chamber. Combine this with the Israel cucking and refusing to acknowledge (((who))) was helping to lead the progressive movement, made any attempts at widespread Christian Nationalism a non-starter.

So it should be a lesson to the Alt-Right/New Right: those who control the institutions control society. It was something that the Christian Right didn't do, and now they're irrelevant.

>Evangelical Christianity had complete control over America through George Bush
Totally didn't.

We've always had a large amount of Christians and some have been very vocal and rather fanatical, but certainly didn't "control" America.

As someone who grew up in suburban east coast in the early 90's, I would say there was always about 20% very serious Christians and another 30-40% part timers. The rest being at best nominally Christian or not at all.

Cristianity was bigger until around obama got elected, not sure if that really had anything to do with that. Used to be religious soccer moms wanting to ban things that offended them, now its liberal single millenials wanting to ban things that might offend others. History flips, and flops, 20 or more years from now it will probably go back to how it was.

I've always been a chauvinist Catholic traditionalist. Evangelicals, like all Protestants, are going to hell, but I am willing to partner with them on national politics if I don't have to be around them. I think Evangelicals are serious mongoloids and always have.

Let's say you believe in creationism, and only have creationism books, then somebody gives you a book that counters your worldview that you would have never come upon otherwise.

You're essentially saying
>why would people be swayed to think differently with ALL the information in front of of them vs only one side of it.

Let's say it's 1934 and you live in a rural area and only have a high school education. You're family is christian and it's the only world that's been shown to you. Now imagine the same thing except it's 2017, and kids grow up as young as 2-3 yrs old glued to ipads and the internet.

Now you can keep arguing this non-argument of "well both sides information is out there" but that's simply retarded.

It's like essentially saying
>Why Does the existence of books make you not believe in something? I mean both sides of the argument are written in different books.

Artificially sustaining a hostile environment through religious imposed rules isn't productive. Ending Christianity is the first step.

fuck i didn't mean digital revolution, i forgot the fucking name of it but it's basically when the internet became mainstream. that was the main event occuring in the 00's

How do you feel about your immigration loving Pope?

Japan seems to be doing alright. They're paganist, but their society is far more stable and far more high-trust than American society is.

Anti-pope. I completely reject him and his followers and think they are also going to hell.

>I remember watching a doc called Jesus Camp back in 2006 and it seemed like Evangelical Christianity had complete control over America through George Bush.

I guess hugely mistaken assumptions about other cultures must be easy to make when you judge a 300 million strong nation by one biased documentary

youtube.com/watch?v=JEvy8mROAj0

The church is still there.

You only have to go sinners.

Traditions and history seems to be getting torn down faster than anyone can preserve it. No more nasty statues, diversity in history and Happy Holiday rather than Happy Christmas. The Muslims are going to kill us before we get our act together.

How do I convince a creationist that they're wrong? It doesn't disprove christianity, it just disproves shit written by fucking kikes.

Ending Christianity would kill any right-wing movement in America. If you want an effective right-wing movement, you absolutely have to be at least religiously neutral. If you point a finger towards Christianity, you lose your entire right-wing base and that doesn't get you any liberals. It's a flawed idea.

Here's a good resource on Anti-pope Fracis and the whole Novus Ordo (Protestant) religion:

novusordowatch.org/francis/

But you can find contradictions against any belief system online. I don't base my beliefs on consensus.

>How do I convince a creationist that they're wrong
Logic and reasoning generally.

Liberalism isn't a thing in politics over there. It's a very liberal and accepting culture in the sense that people will largely ignore things they disapprove of but the conservative government keeps the culture safe from the outside. They didn't have the progressive liberal governments we had that invited migrants on mass. If they had they'd be in the same situation. But as it stands they didn't and are working on stabilizing the population and automating jobs.

I am guessing it just takes time. The person has consumed everything from the likes of Ken Hamm and answers in genesis.

Imagine what went on before the internet where ((((they)))) couldn't be exposed.

In the nineties my best friend who wasn’t religious at all ( I was baptized in Russian orthodox but went to catholic school [ blame my parents lol] ), went to camp for a few weeks. She came back a totally different person. She would end every sentence, (((every))) sentence end with “God bless you” or “may God Be with you”, type stuff. We were 13 year old girls and every note ( texting didn’t exist yet) she’d pass me ended the same way. Her Mom didn’t know it was a cult type Christian camp and her daughter was severely brainwashed in such a short time it was scary. She got help and eventually got to a normal Christian but from going 0-100 in just one summer? Has anyone here experienced something similar?

Conservative Christianity died for the same reason that SJWism will die.

They held control over public opinion and political correctness for years. But instead of using that power to accomplish anything good they used it to paint themselves as victims while demonizing dissent.

Now they are old and busted and "Diversity" is the new hotness. But don't worry, it will be dead soon. As it turns out, people don't like being told what to think by virtue signalling douchebags who are rarely a single IQ point above 120.

How is it people are less christian at a time when coincidentally jews are exerting almost complete control over every aspect of media and mass culture?

LOL
This is total faggotry.

Sedevacantist are bitches.

It's funny because the left destroying the Christian right paved the way for us.

Now they have to deal with actual racists instead of limp dick cuckservatives.

>Novus Ordo Cuck

>Literal fag enabler

I think that the left's biggest problem is that once they tore everything down they thought that they'd be the one's to rebuild.

Now we're here.

I grew up going to all kinds of weird backwoods, snake charming, faith healing possibly pedophile cults, in small rural towns in Florida. Computers and television were banned in our house. I went to a private Christian school that taught us the world is 6000 years old and evolution is a trick of the devil. I went to the library whenever possible as a teenager and I learned about the real world and other faiths and I even learned that there are different flavors of Christianity and not all are quasi nazi cults. The internet is turning dumb shitkickers into people who are fairly educated about the world in general. I dropped out of the "school", got a ged and a job to pay for community college and then real college. I know what it's like to live indoctrinated by toxic nonsense and I abhor legislation based on religious values.

I'm a Christian now. In the 90's, I was literally a pagan. Why? Christians did a horrible job letting people know that Jesus died for their sin, was buried, and rose again according to scripture.

That is probably because they used the Bible like a magic wand, not a book. I NEVER heard a chapter of the Bible read and explained, growing up Baptist. I first saw it done by Arnold Murray in 2014. It makes sense when an intelligent person shows you how to study it. You have to get a concordance and LEARN the Word!

All I remember from the 90's is a bunch of self-righteous a-holes who were literally holier than me. Best I can tell, that is Churchianity's core doctrine.

Exactly whose freedoms do evangelicals try to take? You realize ideas like free speech and freedom of religion comes from what today we consider evangelicals?
As someone raised in an evangelical household in the 90’s the problem was the religion given was a watered down version of Christianity. It was all about youth groups and silly programs. There was such a focus on “bringing others to Christ” and behavior modification there was never any attention paid to deeper theological meaning or history. There was also the emergence of “Christian celebrities”. People who otherwise would be unsuccessful in another genre. See people like Jen hatmaker and Beth Moore. They make tons of money peddling a feel good Christianity. So, while evangelicals had the right idea about things like Muslims, relationships and culture they lacked ways of properly articulating a defense. To be fair they were up against an insane amount of subversion and made a handy punching bag.

A Catholic who chooses what is canon and what is not canon.

"What is a Protestant?"

Yes when I was at school there was a guy called who was a regular kid until he went to a Christian music festival. He came back obsessed with God and Jesus, trying to convert everyone at break time. Everyone mocked him but he would never stop preaching.

The internet will give birth to a completely new spirituality.

You already saw the start of it with Kek.

Sort yourself out, bucko.

I think that the internet will give birth to a new completely organic and decentralized religion.

And we're going to the be the start of it.

if you're a catholic and you hate the pope you need to sort your shit out.

francis hasn't even said or done anything heretical. if you have a proplem with him go be a fucking orthodox or anglican

>go be an Anglican
That's too rich coming from a Bergoglicuck.

These quotes aren't even in clear opposition to one another.

Let's put this simply: Lay Catholics don't get to interpret and apply Canon Law. Canon Law is left to actual bishops, cardinals, and councils.

If your panties are in a bunch about Francis talk to your bishop or priest and they will tell you to pray on it and suck a dick. That is why its a hierarchy.

Lol you guys think God died recently, he died long ago. Sure, proles still believed in him during the 20th and 21st century but the days where God had moral authority over the elites, or the intelligent whites had any sincere belief in God was long since faded away into a mere ritual. You think people like Trump give a shit? Its done.

tl;dr read Nietzsche
also tl;dr Christianity is not going to resurge among white Europeans, we have simply evolved beyond it for a myraid of reasons
Religion still appeals to the subhumans though, and the more brainlet/submissive whites like mormons, but should either of those triumph we will return to a dull and primitive state

Are there any Americans here who grew up religious/Christian but have left? When did you leave? Why did you leave? Do you hate Christianity?

Didn't Jesus Camp shoot a bunch of people in Vegas about 7 or 8 years ago? I vaguely remember something on the news about it.

>jesus camp was an extreme.
every person i know who had a religious upbring say it was exactly like this

t. 35yo dude

Context matters.

>he died long ago
OP here. Yeah I know that. I think everyone knows that the intellectual classes stopped believing seriously in God in the nineteenth century. My point is that for the first time in the US ordinary young people from all walks of life’s basically abandoned organised religion. I think the social and political effects of that are/will be immense in America.

When a traditional catholic criticizes the words of a sitting Pope....

>If anyone says that the rite of the Roman Church, according to which a part of the canon and the words of consecration are pronounced in a low tone, is to be condemned; or that the mass ought to be celebrated in the vulgar tongue only, or that water ought not to be mixed with the wine in the chalice because it is contrary to the institution of Christ, let him be anathema.

Try this one Novus Ordo, cucks

>pope

Good one, Bergoglicuck.

>we have evolved beyond Christianity
>the world is going to shit due to a globalist agenda
Wouldn't it be really weird if we try Christianity again and by pure coincidence and science the shitty world became more bearable?

>How Christian would you say most Young’s white Americans are today compared to the 90s or the 2000s?
Probably the same or even higher
The decline in numbers is from liberal churches and the government importing non christians

user is right though, the west gave up religion long ago and it's already had its drastic effects. the west died after the world wars and what we're seeing now, with declining white birth rates and mass immigration is just the body decomposing.
without the christian tradition informing our culture we're just prey for jews