What would dubs have to change, so that you would like them again like when you were kids?

What would dubs have to change, so that you would like them again like when you were kids?

My memories would have to be wiped and my IQ lowered significiantly

They'd have to put effort into getting decent voice actors. Gainax/Trigger dubs have always been solid and Space Dandy's dub was excellent.

Good voice actors

Alternatively every dub should be like ghost stories.

I would have to be the one to change. I liked them because I knew nothing else, I would never go back and when I have a kid they are gonna grow up on anime subs.

It's not even a matter of quality, English voices just sound wrong in anime.

Even those are terrible though.

They shouldn't exist at all, other than for toddlers. If you seriously have to put in effort to read subtitles, you should commit suicide.

I never liked them when I was a kid.

A bigger more experienced pool of English VAs would be nice. I probably still wouldn't watch them dubbed though. It just makes sense to watch something in its original form.

idk some shows are just never meant to be dubbed while others like Baccano are arguably better dubbed.

Dubs are shit. Period. I don't want English voices in my anime and I don't fucking turn on the Japanese voices for Overwatch like some weeb.

There's just not a culture that promotes experienced VA work for this kind of thing. Unless that somehow changes, dubs will continue to be shit with the rare decent one.

Dubs are shit lads

Never really watched anything with dubs with very few exceptions. Dubs can work in few anime, but they're rarely well done. Baccano has a great dub for instance, but it's pretty much the only one I can think of.

There's that, but then there's also the fact that english simply just doesn't work very well in anime. Maybe because you don't sound enough like a ten year old girl when speaking it like the girls in anime with japanese voices do. I honestly can't quite pinpoint exactly what it is, but it's almost always shit.

I'm also an ESLfag in a country that subs everything rather than dubbing stuff so I've been used to subs since forever. Feels pretty natural to me.

This. I respect the quality of some english dubs like Tales of Berseria but I passed the point of no return in my faggotry long ago.

dubs dont work for japanese
especially any show with girls under 20 (all of them)

Budget to hire better VAs or train American VAs to not suck shit.
Biggest problem is females sounding older than character they're voicing.

not true, there is some pretty decent english dubs. It's just getting the right fit for the role and personality.

I think that CGDCT shows can't work dubbed, but stuff like Hellsing, Baccano, PSG is equal or even better than the japanese dub.

Okay, here's the issue with dubs. It's not that English isn't as expressive, or that "the voices don't fit the characters".
It all comes down to one simple element.
Timing.
You can't reanimate a series. So, when you get the video files from the JP studio, you have to match the words your actors say to the mouths of the characters.
Here in lies the problem. You have to find a way to communicate in English in a way that fits into the time you have for each line. That's why dub lines are often awkward sounding or spoken far too quickly. These issues, mixed with the fact that English actors are having to try to emote in a way that sounds odd in English when put under time constraints, are a big part of why dubs rarely work.
Look at the Japanese game Final Fantasy XIII. The developers re-animated the mouths of every character for every cut scene in the English version to fit the English dialogue. because of that, the English actors were able to emote at a pace that was more suitable for their language, and, thus, the dubbing wasn't one of the game's issues.
If studios were able to do that for every anime they produced, dubs would dramatically increase in quality.

I didn't like them as a kid either. Subs are so objectively superior even the dumbest kid can recognize that.

After finally finishing one and only one full season of a subbed show, I can confidently say that dubs sound weird as fuck.

It was Nichijou

I'm guessing if you have a decent enough way to work with the script and god forbid you can get your VAs to actually have fun while doing the show, you might end up with a surprising product like pic related.

I pity you, English natives. I speak 4 languages and by far the worst VA are the ones dubbing in English.

They all have terrible acting and make exaggerated dramatic intonations like every anime is freaking Ben10.

I find Italian dubs pretty good. Latin Spanish (Colombian, I think) is also decent.

The thing is most VAs with talent don't dub anime, they do western cartoons or video games.

There is tremendous cross over there. Read the filmographies of a lot of those video game actors and you'll often see anime credits.

I don't like dubs on principal. I always try to watch something as close as possible to the original.

Dubs are for mentally retarded mongrels who can't read faster than 200 words a minute. There's no reason to use dubs ever unless you admit you're stupid.

I didn't like them when I was a kid though.