"What issue could there possibly be with casting her?" Oshii told IGN by e-mail...

>"What issue could there possibly be with casting her?" Oshii told IGN by e-mail. "The Major is a cyborg and her physical form is an entirely assumed one. The name 'Motoko Kusanagi' and her current body are not her original name and body, so there is no basis for saying that an Asian actress must portray her. Even if her original body (presuming such a thing existed) were a Japanese one, that would still apply."

>"In the movies, John Wayne can play Genghis Khan, and Omar Sharif, an Arab, can play Doctor Zhivago, a Slav. It's all just cinematic conventions," he explained. "If that's not allowed, then Darth Vader probably shouldn’t speak English, either. I believe having Scarlett play Motoko was the best possible casting for this movie. I can only sense a political motive from the people opposing it, and I believe artistic expression must be free from politics."

ign.com/articles/2017/03/21/original-ghost-in-the-shell-director-mamoru-oshii-has-no-problem-with-live-action-remake

BASED AS FUCK

The race changing isn't really an issue, the real problem is Scarlett Johansson is a terrible actress.

>The Major is a cyborg and her physical form is an entirely assumed one. The name 'Motoko Kusanagi' and her current body are not her original name and body, so there is no basis for saying that an Asian actress must portray her. Even if her original body (presuming such a thing existed) were a Japanese one, that would still apply."

Except that her cyborg body is based on a Japanese model. It's like saying its fine if they casted a black guy as superman, because superman is an alien so he doesn't have to be a white guy.

>I believe artistic expression must be free from politics.
The rest of what he said was not wrong, but this fucking retarded.
Art is often the political made tangible - To say that it should be free of such things is a gross misunderstanding of art, politic, or more likely, both.

>live action
Who gives a shit, fuck off.

Nobody cares

what's wrong with that? black green lantern was dope. static shock is one of my favorite superheroes...

>Even if her original body (presuming such a thing existed) were a Japanese one, that would still apply."

The answer to your post is literally on what you've quoted.

this was obvious to anyone with a fucking brain

I actually have more with the other characters not being japanese than a the major, that said, the changes done to the major is still pretty dumb, as is the changes to everything in general.

If the spoilers are true and the major was originally japanese but thought she's white after being robocopped, that would be retarded as fuck.

Anyone complaining about ScarJo when the rest of the cast is asian is just wrong.

This is coming from someone who easily jumps on the anti-sjw bandwagon

He's talking about her original human identity being originally japanese and it not applying to her new body, not her original source material design.

who gives a shit, this movie looks like dogshit regardless of casting.

I thought most people stopped caring about the fact she was white when it was revealed it was a story about how she got mind wiped by the government and is trying to get her past back

batou is danish
ishikawa is australian
kuze is american
borma is half black
while asian, togusa is a fucking middle aged chinaman

Where the fuck is paz?

YES! YES!!!

See, THIS is why this movie MUST succeed and be a huge hit: it's bases on japanese material and japanese society hasn't degenrated into a cesspool of liberalism! SJWs have nothing to attack it with because the creator isn't a braindead libtard and will actualy defend his work!

AND THE SAME IS TRUE FOR ALL ANIME!

If Ghost in The Shell is a hit, it's going to mean more anime movies. And with that, it's going to mean a fight back against the marvelised, infantilised, SJW-infested mass movie culture that we have today!

If GITS succeeds, it will be the start of the fight back againat superhero garbage and the liberal ideological domination of an entire artform!

Not anime

Casting is not the problem the whole movie is fucked!

It's not that it can't have a message but using "art" to attract a demographic that has certain political views and frying hard to be "politically correct" goes against the principle of free expression that is most important to create art.

/thread

Honestly, I don't see why they have to make so many adaptations that cut out tons of stuff and rewrite everything.

What if we just got entries? What if they just make an anime movie except in live action? Create an original villain and plot using established characters without having to spell out the entire backstory and condensing five years of manga chapters into fourty minutes.

Literally who is this Oishii guy and what gives him the right to make these statements?

It would still apply, like Oishii said.

Libtards BTFO, but
>Oshii
Why anyone should care what he thinks at all, and especially after Innocence?

Capeshit was always shit, getting rid of SJW won't make it good.

The elephant in the room is that if people are choosing a fully robotic body a lot of them would choose a white one anyway.

I'm not saying they would choose one looking like scarjo, because she's past her prime, but if you asked women if they want to choose one that looked like red-dress-oscar scarjo then yeah that would be a high selling model.

No one is going to buy ones that looks like abbos or, to be brutally honest about it, nearly all black women. The model that looks like a hot white women with western european features, blonde hair and green or blue eyes would be an overwhelming top seller.

The only people buying non-white models would be hipster self-hating whites who want to be anything but white.

Not to disagree with you, user, but both John Stewart and Virgil Hawkins are human, so I'm not sure what your argument is?

Not true. BvS was amazing, in part because of how anti-SJW it was.

Because to make a profit nowadays movies need to appeal to the casual audience and general public. A movie that requires you to bsle familiar to the franchise to understand who the characters are or contains content that most people dislike or find boring will not bring in those ticket and merchandise sales and will instead only appeal to the niche original audience.

So they water it down and fill it with popular stars with lots of action so it hits a wider audience.

Fuck off shill.

lol wtf, she's not even a bad actor

Maybe if they didn't have sky-high budgets with expensive CGI and overpaid actresses we wouldn't be in this situation.

While I don't disagree, I think you're being a bit preachy here. Also, the GITS move is far more likely to fail than succeed by any metric, so I wouldn't be so excited.

Sup Forums was a mistake

I couldn't give two shits about ethnicity, but who the fuck keeps casting her as an action star? Every single action scene with her in the MCU features janky ass cuts to her stunt double, IIRC she had her face superimposed on some shots in Age of Ultron cuz she was preggo. That unnecessary slowmo wall running scene from the trailer distracts with how awful it looks, not to mention the limp way she holds her gun.

I just watched the trailer for Atomic Blonde and even though it looks a little too choreographed, at least Charlize puts herself out there in a believable way

She's not JLaw bad, but she's never been great.

At that point, why bother making it based off a property? Why do something like make a movie about Chun Li and make everyone in it completely different from their original characters? Is it just so that way people go "Hey I heard about that thing when I was a kid, I should watch it despite forgetting the basic plot of the original"?

I had sex with your wife.

Is there any good actors left?

Its a downward spiral. They bring in those overpaid actors and add big special effect budgets to make more money, which they need to use to pay for those things, so they bring in more things to make money, which goes towards paying for those things, etc.

No.

Are you serious? That's the most generic dogshit I've ever heard, and I didn't even like the original movie.

Looks like they found a way to make that Jason Bourne x Blade Runner crossover after all.

Hollyjews should burn already.

go back there

This right here

She actually looks the part. The problem is this isn't a ghost in the shell movie. It's just a movie based off a script that was vaguely similar to it that was redskined to look a bit more like it.

I want SJWs to leave.

>Is it just so that way people go "Hey I heard about that thing when I was a kid, I should watch it despite forgetting the basic plot of the original"?

They want to have their cake and eat it too. The casual audience goes for the scifi flick while on top of that they get anime fans too because it has the GitS name stapled to it.

The thing is, I actually think her usual deadpan delivery would fit, but I have a terrible feeling she's going to try extra hard to act and fuck it all up.

Jesus Christ, end your line

>In the movies, John Wayne can play Genghis Khan, and Omar Sharif, an Arab, can play Doctor Zhivago, a Slav.
Isn't this looked down upon in modern society though? Hell Emma Stone got crucified for portraying a character that was like 20% Polynesian

Do you really think that if you cram enough buzzwords and exclamation points into a post, it will automatically be good bait?

Problem is that it doesn't look like it's anything special. For anime fans it's a butchered Americanized version while for casuals it's a generic by-the-numbers flick.

Stop astroturfing, /leftypol/.

It is, but only if a white person is playing the role of a non-white, no one really bats an eyelash at opposite.

I assume Oshii is not a liberal and as such does not subscribe to their culture of complaining.

Its that Dragonball movie all over again

They're making it sound like he's defending ScarJo, when he's really defending having a white person play a japanese role.

She's a shit actress and no doubt will fuck up the role.

Yeah, except this one has a budget, so it has a better chance at attracting casuals like my mom. Always asking questions, never makes any connections on their own, needs to be explained to.

While I agree about the race thing, I still think she was miscast. Johansson is just a shitty actress and too ugly for the role.

Baneposting is just Keit-ai posting except Sup Forums's mods don't give enough of a shit to ban it.

Stop bringing your stupid 'muh waycism' political bullshit to Sup Forums.

I'd rather Hollywood just stop doing adaptions and do what they did with edge of tomorrow and loosely use an anime's setting/characters to make their own story rather than half assing an adaption.

I don't understand. If the character is Japanese, it should have a Japanese actress. If the character is European, it should have a European actress. Even if a cyborg is without race, the model it's based on has a race and an actress from the same race should play it. That is, if you give a fuck about a faithful adaption.

All this other shit just seems like unrelated shit.

Well at least he thinks it's probably good enough to fish for (you)s

>they removed the nipples
D R O P P E D

RT predictions.

57%

I'm more offended that they specifically made the props and robotics look less high tech and futuristic.

>artistic expression
>selling out to hollywood
pick 1

>I don't understand. If the character is Japanese, it should have a Japanese actress.

It's an American production though.

So? What does that have to do with the material?

>choose shitty actress
>choose shitty script
WOW WHY DON'T YOU LIKE (insert race) PLAYING (insert original character race)? ARE YOU A BIGOT?

You could always make the argument that it's simply the cyborg body they had at the time and that it just happens to be caucasian. It's not like it's the end of the world.
Of course if spoilers are to be believed, she's actually Japanese and put in a white body like a reverse Psylocke, so it's kind of weird.

Say that to nips, gooks and any other movie industry from the other countries you brainless retard.

Edge of Tomorrow is the correct way to do a Hollywood adaptation of a Japanese manga.

Sure. Nips. Gooks. Any other movie industry from the other countries, if the character is Japanese, it should have a Japanese actress. If the character is European, it should have a European actress. Even if a cyborg is without race, the model it's based on has a race and an actress from the same race should play it.

It means the production can change the material however they see fit.

>You could always make the argument that it's simply the cyborg body they had at the time

If spoilers are to be believed then its a super high end prototype body, not just one they had lying around.

USA is not racially homogenous, don't know how many Japanese actors there are in Hollywood, but there have definitely been Asians in their movies and tv series, so it shouldn't really be such a problem neither with casting or audience accepting it.

>if the character is Japanese, it should have a Japanese actress.

The character is a cyborg with no set identity. It's right there in the plot if you ever cared to research it.

It doesn't work like that and never will. Buy new brain and throw away your current, it's rotten.

>USA is not racially homogenous

Then it shouldn't matter what race The Major is then.

>lol
>wtf
Fuck off crossboarder.

I guess it just happened to be a white prototype. Still unsure as to why they seemingly also made her Japanese.

The production can always do that, so long as they give no fucks about being faithful to the material.

Cyborgs are base on models though.

>It doesn't work like that and never will
We're both faggots on Sup Forums, do you think either of us have the power to change things? Me saying how it should be isn't coupled with my expectation of things actually working like that.

Ya know, I actually would have preferred an Asian actress too, Scarlett Johansson a shit

But now I want this movie to succeed just so I can watch all the SJWs crying whitewashing to eat shit, just like they had to after Dr. Strange was a success

>pork in the shell
Not anime fuck off

>don't know how many Japanese actors there are in Hollywood, but there have definitely been Asians in their movies and tv series

None of them barring Jackie Chan and maybe Zhang Ziyi has the current star power Scarlet Johansson has.

>weeb clickbait
You're pretty pathetic for actually watching these.

>of a Japanese manga
Of a Japanese LN.

>The production can always do that, so long as they give no fucks about being faithful to the material.

It depends on what you consider as faithfulness. If they change the race of The Major but keep everything else, would you still call it faithful or unfaithful?

Why is Oshii even defending this movie? Does he have no problem with how it's disgracing his work?

Look man, is it worth it if this movie becomes successful and they keep making more fucked up Americanized adaptations.

>Cyborgs are base on models though.
see >"In the movies, John Wayne can play Genghis Khan, and Omar Sharif, an Arab, can play Doctor Zhivago, a Slav. It's all just cinematic conventions," he explained. "If that's not allowed, then Darth Vader probably shouldn’t speak English, either. I believe having Scarlett play Motoko was the best possible casting for this movie. I can only sense a political motive from the people opposing it, and I believe artistic expression must be free from politics."

Your argument is invalid.

Oh it doesn't matter to me, as I'm not watching this movie anyway, I'm just pointing out that of all arguments the one that it's American production so actors must be white doesn't really hold water.

>If they change the race of The Major but keep everything else, would you still call it faithful or unfaithful?
Of course it's unfaithful. If the Major was originally Japanese or based on a Japanese woman, changing her race to justify casting is unfaithful

that and she looks fucking ugly in the trailer

I've been waiting for Battle Angel Alita by James Cameron all this time, so maybe.

>Me saying how it should be
It shouldn't, it isn't and it won't. Nips casting all nips casts, gooks casting all gooks casts, poo casting all poo cast regardless of race they should represent, etc, etc.