Other than Dragonball Evolution and the soon-to-be-released GitS and Death Note movies...

Other than Dragonball Evolution and the soon-to-be-released GitS and Death Note movies, are there any other American-made live action anime movies? I can't seem to find any others.
If there are any others, were any of them actually good, or do you think that Death Note and GitS are going to be remembered the same way we remember Dragonball Evolution (as garbage)?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt2557478/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do yourself a favor and look up the American Fist of the North Star movie.

Speed Racer, the only good live action anime movie

Heard All You Need is Kill's adaptation was good

edge of tommorow which is an all you need is kill is pretty good

As of now Paramount is going overtime to use Authority Appeal to market theit movie with using Production IG and Oshii's blessing of approval. I don't think it'll work.

I wish they kept the original title for that one. Good film though.

Nothing will be as bad as Dragon Ball Evolution. At least GitS is trying (it will fail but not as hard as dbe) and Death Note could possibly good in its own way. Dragon Ball Evolution gets so much wrong that I can't see any other adaptations of a series being as bad as it.

On the upside, camrips and leaks on the western side are commonplace, so one wouldn't need to wait months for a digital release. I just want to know how bad (or well?) they did ASAP, without paying and giving them money.

Old boy is a remake of a Korean movie that was an adaptation of a manga.

Black Swan might as well have been a hollywood version of Perfect Blue. The director even holds the rights to it, even if he won't admit that's what he did. And the stories aren't the same, but Inception draws clear inspiration from Paprika.

>Death Note movies
Isn't it supposed to be a show?

All these shitty anime adaptation films have got me thinking.

You know what could potentially be really awesome? A live action Black Lagoon, and get Tarantino to do it. It's full of cheap action and hot chicks with guns, and that's what people like here.

The Guyver

Tarantino and Black Lagoon might make a good mix, but I don't think Tarantino would ever do an adaptation.

He did Django

>A live action Black Lagoon, and get Tarantino to do it
Hell yes. In fact there are plenty of anime that could be decent Hollywood movies if decent directors were interested in adapting them. So far, anime is considered a risky field after Dragonball Evolution and I bet they're all hanging back to see if it takes off. Edge of Tomorrow was based off a LN so it probably doesn't count for them.

It's a good thing del Toro hasn't made Monster because he would do a good job and open the floodgates.

I mean it's not like he couldn't write his own take on it. Kubrick did that with the Shining and it worked out pretty well

If GitS is a success how long before a fate adaptation and will king arthur still be a little girl?

>Fate
>a franchise that took off with the idea of historical/mythological figures with super powers
>women are stronk and powerful
>it still won't fly with the PC crowd because Saber is subservient to Shirou and a literal SERVANT

Is that a thing that might happen? Because hell yeah, I'd be okay with hollywood anime if it was made by competent people with adaptable source material

If anime adaptations take off you can bet your ass Disney is doing FSN, Saber has Disney princess written all over her

Honestly, I'm still interested on how GitS turns out. If they can keep the visual style of the original or at least substitute it with a similar but equally interesting style then I will be completely happy.

Also, lets be honest. You would have to fuck up really bad to make something that is on par with Dragonball Evolution. Fucking look at it.

fate/stay-night is garbage anyways. I'd rather they make zero.

Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are the best anime characters.

>Also, lets be honest. You would have to fuck up really bad to make something that is on par with Dragonball Evolution

The GITS movie is literally the plot of the Bourne Identity set in the bladerunner universe

It wouldn't take much to rework the story a little bit so that Saber is less obedient waifu and more badass hero. The whole "no saber women shouldn't fight" schtick was annoying from the beginning, pc culture or not.

I thought it was robocop

Dragonball evolution is what got me into anime, I had never seen dragonball and everyone was talking about it so I decided to watch it.
Still never even ended up watching Dragonball Evolution though

>if it was made by competent people
There's the problem. Right now comic book superheroes is the hot trend, and even that gets shit directors that disrespect the source material, make a bad movie, and piss off the fans. Look at the Amazing Spiderman movies and DC Extended Universe and Thor 2.

Christ, I would kill myself if Zack Snyder announced he would adapt Berserk or Vinland Saga.

So the choice is to basically adapt Zero. Nasu writing is hard to edit into something tolerable for western viewer.

There's also the upcoming Battle Angel Alita movie.

>Zack Snyder

I don't know, looking back on it Sucker Punch could've been a seasonal ecchi shounen.

>Snyder
Oh fuck no not like that. He fucked up even Watchmen.

Wanna hear some high class heresy?

I don't care that much about the story of GitS. The production has always been the highlight for me.

Give it to Rodriguez when he's done with Cameron's shitty Alita.

Anime adaptations are pretty much a dead end if hollywood is trying to mimic disney's marvel and star wars formula. Anime and manga aren't like western comics because they don't all take place in one of two different universe. Only something like Nasuverse or Raildex would get them a long running franchise, and that kind of shit won't work with western audiences.

Remember that SAO is being adapted for TV? Agil will be easy to cast, and Asuna (who will be renamed Ashley or something) will be that cheerleader type, but you just know they're going to make pic related a spic.

>comic relief
>bro support
>no luck with women
>likes samurai culture
>bro squad

To me, GitS isn't so much about the story as it is about the existential themes. Judging from the trailer I don't think this movie is going to pay much mind to that.

The first arc of SAO wasn't terrible aside from the unbearable protagonist. The only people who love SAO are retards who would be stoked with an adaptation, and the concept could have been handled a lot better with a different writer. I think it's a good candidate for an adaptation.

Wouldn't call it Heresy, I never thought GITS was that good in the first place. I struggled to get through it

I think it's more that adapting Japanese scripts is extremely difficult. The moment to moment flow of an anime series or a manga series doesn't jive with American movie structures. If you're faithful to the script, you get a confusingly paced movie and if you're loose with the script, you lose the original audience and risk appeal with the mass market (which is the MUCH more profitable option in the long run).

Unrelated cute ghost girl.

That movie was shit. Not like the source material was good to begin with

Considering how everything I hate about SAO is the direct result of it being a Japanese show, I'm curiously optimistic about that. I would at least have fun with it if the show became some weird ass american teen-drama.

>The only people who love SAO are retards who would be stoked with an adaptation
I like SAO only because Kirito and Asuna are a cute couple, and Asuna is a cute 2D girl. Hollywood can't write cute couples and Ashley won't be a cute 2D girl, she will be 3dpd. I am not stoked. Frankly, the retarded SAOfags you speak of also like the show because Asuna is cute and they probably won't like it as much when Jennifer Lawrence is playing the role.

2nd one was alright probably would have been shit without David Hayter though

Just like Metal Gear.

Putting chances of being adapted aside, what anime would feasibly make a good live action film with the right director and team?

Metallic Rose would be awesome.

>those goofy ass expressions from the key playing ken
>young Dante Basco
>Malcolm Mcdowell
>surprisingly faithful recreation of Shin's introduction

ehh I liked it

I fucking hate Kojima for replacing DH. It would have been cool if they replaced David when they got to Venom Snake and intentionally stirred a shitstorm but kept David for the real Big Boss in the ending cutscene.

>Raildex
I'm not american, but you people seem to like things like x-men; there wouldn't be 7+ movies if you didn't. It's not totally impossible to adapt, but it would require many changes to the script.. It's not going to be great like Kubrick's "The Shining"; it will be a god damned mess like "I, Robot" and Spielberg's "AI".

It could work, but it would be best if it was an international effort with a big budget and actors that would love their roles. Gone will be the many, many (some lewd) middle-school girls and lolis, and everybody will be aged a couple of years until the girls look like Bayloupe and Laura, and the men like Stiyl. Ehh. Maybe not.

Edge of Tomorrow

It's actually pretty good.

I don't remember any bitching when the dub for UBW came out.

Wouldn't mind Hollywood taking a crack at a Devilman movie. Japan already set the bar pretty low so it can't be any worse

Americans aren't enamored with high school the way japanese people are. Unless they are trying to make a young adult series, which might get middling success. The setting is pretty fucking instrumental to raildex, though, and putting it in school is going to turn the attention of anyone over the age of 17, which is a pretty risky move. It would probably do better as a teen drama tv show on the CW or something.

The guy who did 50 shades could adapt Nana to Kaoru

I had a roommate last summer who watched the UBW dub with the volume turned up high and it was terrible. I couldn't bear it and went into my room and stuffed the crack under the door with a blanket but I could still hear Rin's stupid-sounding dub VA.

Then he started marathoning Ouran Host Club, again the English dub, with the volume turned up high and I had to leave the apartment.

MY FATHER DIED

What!?

Professor Asuka
is...

Professor Asuka is...

Already in the works. Netflix

Probably the best, and only proper adaptation.

At least noting of value would be ruined.

my mistake, looks like it's actually a netflix anime.

Pacific rim 2.

>Riki-oh
>Initial D
>Dragonball: The Magic Begins
>City Hunter

Do chinks do the best adaptations?

Wait, what? Is this real?

Is this legit?

Looks like it is.
imdb.com/title/tt2557478/

Yeah it's real
It's due out early next year