How did the "Eva's TV ending is bad" criticism even get started? The ending is ridiculously straightforward...

How did the "Eva's TV ending is bad" criticism even get started? The ending is ridiculously straightforward. I can't help but feel it was some kind of plant by ADV or the international fanbase to artificially make the show a bigger deal.

The ending had a generic moral. And the episode wasn't even interesting or entertaining. It's like they just gave up.

Probably something about pic related

I really like it though

>How did the "Eva's TV ending is bad" criticism even get started?
I think it has something do to with the fact that it was bad.

>gave up

They had no time. Iirc they were always so rushed that they had to bike over the tape without review by TV in order to air a few episodes

That's how they got Kaworu's death put in there, which started a huge shitshow

> wasn't even entertaining

You're seriously saying stuff like the marker-color scenes or Yoshinari's morphing animation wasn't entertaining?

I liked it. Actually even more than EOE.

>ADV or the international fanbase
Didn't EoE include a few frames of photos of actual death threats and angry letters sent to Anno by angry japanese fans as a reaction to the TV ending?

Yeah. The vandalism on the Gainax HQ too?

There were a lot more fans thanking Anno though, the "death threats" are largely exaggerated.

>wasn't even interesting
If Shinji reducing his nothingness with substantive limits (all while being represented visually in an interesting way!) wasn't interesting to you, then I don't know what would be.

If you were more interested in Eva's plot (i.e. the apocalyptic scenario, the conspiracies, the kaiju battles, the inter-personal politics) instead of the characters mental state (especially Shinji's), it's pretty easy why to see someone wouldn't be satisfied

Theoretically, the End of Evangelion should not even be possible. A being the size of Lilith would not be supported by the Earth's crust, and cause it to crack open spewing lava everywhere.

that's supposing she's made out of traditional matter

This is the typical defense of EoTV but it implies EoE has no substance where Shinji's internal/interpersonal problems are concerned. That's wrong.

>calls a post making an honest inquiry about dislike for an episode bait
>posts a fucking jojo meme
Into the trash you go.

With only two episodes left in the show you couldn't have it both ways though, you can't have Shinji fighting the Eva series while simultaneously engaging with the cast about how he treats himself. If anything, EoTV's handwave of "Instrumentality was started offscreen" makes it easier to digest.

It made Shinji's problems all about women.

>I can't help but feel it was some kind of plant by ADV or the international fanbase to artificially make the show a bigger deal.

I liked both endings, but in different ways. The end message of all them was really the same, Shinji choose the real world over the dream. It's not a perfect correlation, but one can easily assume the events of episode 25 and 26 take place during the time Shinji is in instrumentality. It's merely a different part of it than what we saw in the movie. There really isn't any division between the ending episodes or the movie, and I don't really see why people say there is.

EVA's plot as well as it's story and characters are interesting and are deserving of a good, worthy finish.

The story receives a very well made conclusion in both EoE and EoTV, and for that part we should be happy. EoE adds some more concrete imagery and plot development to the story, which in my opinion only strengthens the work.

I'm perfectly satisfied with both. When I watched EoTV I was stunned, and felt more could be said, but at the same time I also was certain it had done right. I felt similar with EoE.

Particularly Rei's character receives a great ending in EoE, which pleased me greatly as a fan. Both endings have the quality that they produce a story that is undeniably on point, characters that are undeniably in-character, and a conclusion that is perfectly fitting for what has been shown before. I have no quarrel with either of them, they were the endings Evangelion needed and deserved.

Being straightforward doesn't make it good. Those aren't even related.

Or, perhaps more accurately, Shinji choose the real himself over the self he could be in the dream. It's the same ending, just differently interpreted.

I'm pretty sure angels are solid and have weight.

>This is the typical defense of EoTV but it implies EoE has no substance where Shinji's internal/interpersonal problems are concerned. That's wrong.
I'm not saying it has no substance, I'm just saying not everyone cares

It's like Gundam. Not everyone cares about whiny teen psychics and quasi-philosophical magical bullshit about evolution and machines that are fueled by ghost power. Some people are more concerned about side characters, or the course of the conflit and what it means for the setting.

The Eva TV ending doubles down hard on Shinji and what's in his head, and if you don't give a shit, there's little satisfaction to be had

some of them literally floated with no visible propulsion

>va TV ending doubles down hard on Shinji and what's in his head, and if you don't give a shit, there's little satisfaction to be had
If you don't care for Shinjis character in any way, negatively or positively, Eva really isn't the show for you, as the entire series is almost completely focused on him. Yes, the side characters are also very important as well, but Shinjis character is an overwhelming presence in the show, and if you didn't care about him at all, what the fuck were you doing watching past the first few episodes?

Oh you are right.

That's definitely a point in EoE's favor, Rei was almost mistreated in the TV show. She's missing from most of the middle portion of the show, and Rei III seems like she was supposed to have an arc along with Kaworu but it never really gets off the ground.

>The Eva TV ending doubles down hard on Shinji and what's in his head, and if you don't give a shit, there's little satisfaction to be had

Yeah but it would be very uncommon that anyone who actually enjoys the show wouldn't

She gets the boot when Asuka arrives, which makes sense I guess, she's very reserved from everyone else and Shinji has to interact with her to start their interactions in 5&6.

>She gets the boot when Asuka arrives,
>That's definitely a point in EoE's favor, Rei was almost mistreated in the TV show. She's missing from most of the middle portion of the show, and Rei III seems like she was supposed to have an arc along with Kaworu but it never really gets off the ground.

That's more of a meme and not a fact. Rei remains a character with a lot of screentime, and a lot of presence in the middle as well. Don't repeat it.

You may as well point out that Asuka is missing entirely from the first six episodes of the story - Rei is only missing from a single episode. Then Rei III's arc is perfectly self-contained in NGE, and expanded on in glory with EoE, where a character like Asuka becomes missing almost entirely save for a fight scene and some cameos, with no active role like Rei.

I'm no Rei-fag but I think that user was interpreting as relevance. She's just "there"

>Rei III's arc is perfectly self-contained in NGE

Do you mean Rei II? Because Rei III only has 2 episodes and one of them is focused on Kaworu and the others is Rei II dying

Hint: it was always relevant.

Asuka missing from the first six episodes isn't a valid complaint, it's a rock solid story culminating in Shinji and Rei growing closer.

Rei is extremely relevant to the story and plot, the user in question is simply retarded.

Rei III is Rei II as well. Same character going through a drastic change. Shinji gets whacked over the head with the death of Kaworu, Rei gets killed and revived, Asuka gets replaced.

Shinji feared being betrayed and not being loved for who he was.
Rei feared being trapped in the limbo of life, not being able to die.
Asuka feared being replaced as a pilot.

These are the end-game changes that wreck their psyches, and in Rei and Shinji's case, forces a change, forces them to reconsider what they've been doing up until that point.

[spoilers]Why did you guys have to engage the textwalling Reifag now he is going to have an adhom fit.

How not to end a giant robot franchise: Take away the giant robots.

So, Anno gave them a giant robot movie that made people depressed.

Oh fuck I got the spoiler format wrong. Ignore this post please.

Retard.

I watched the show for the first time a few months ago and I was similarly confused as to why there was this popular consensus that the ending was so wierd or bad, I thought it flowed pretty naturally from what it seemed to be building up to.

I think it did what it was trying to do better then the similar scenes in EoE, even

I think EoE did those elements much worse then 25 and 26 did.

Well he did do it.

I'm more worried about shitposters like you and other low-quality tards shitting up eva threads, fuck off with your shitty meta.

And Shinji's problems with Gendo or Toji weren't?

Because it had no resolution on SEELE, Gendo and NERV. It left alot of plot holes wide open.

That wasn't meta.

>I think EoE did those elements much worse then 25 and 26 did.

EoE goes out the way to scrutinize Shinji with more precision, EoTV repeats what's already evident in the series and adds the non-solution of "just love yourself"

It was because it had squilch to do with Eva, now get lost.

Nope.

Toji is irrelevant.

Gendo conflict is irreconcilable. He was never going to come to love Shinji, his singular devotion to Yui took priority. It's necessary that he continued to be detached from Shinji even to the very end. What's important is that Shinji moved on, which he did in EoE.

This, it's literally just to make it unique. Eva is pretty fucking unpopular in the grand scheme of things and they realized they could make it seem like this massive thing by showing LOOK WE GOT DEATH THREATS OVER THE ENDING LET ME PUT THEM IN MY SHITTY ARTHOUSE MOVIE

It's the most famous TV anime of all time.

You are the most underage and oblivious fag of all time.

>just to make it unique
kill yourself philistine. Even your shitposts are in poor taste.

Pretty sure it's still Doraemon

I'm pretty confident that it is, though. It aired, what, 20 years ago, and people, not just mecha fans, still discuss it with the regularity of FOTM shit?

How is Toji irrelevant? Shinji almost killed him, he has to be suffering over that. Instead it's never brought up again.
I would have liked a conclusion to the Gendo-Shinji relationship too, but there was nothing.

In Japan, sure.

>this is different than the rest, I don't get it, waah

Literally everytime any anime does something out of the norm.

> still discuss it with the regularity of FOTM shit
50 autistic losers on Sup Forums who can't stop talking about it doesn't make it the most famous show of all time you sperg.

Shinji killed Gendo lol

>it's never brought up again
That's exactly why he's irrelevant.

Death threats are in the minority, who fucking knew?

No he didn't.

Him, Yui, or Rei

I never really understood it

I liked them because it showed just how fucked he was up to this point and how having to kill Kaworu was the straw the broke him.

Pretty sure it was Yui because he calls it Yui.
But me neither.

>she cross throught regular metter like ether when leaving the terminal dogma. Her hand literally passes through Maya.

Seens pretty devoided of mass to me. In fact, the moment Shinji decides to revert the Instrumentality, instantly Unit 01 starts to unfuse from Lilith and the second lasrges artery in the body is the first to burst (the one in the neck). This suggest her body was in a another energy-wave-phase sustained by the At field, the moment Unit 01's at field stop sustaining that body, it becomes regular matter and starts to succumb in its own weight. Anno actually thought that pretty well in his mechanics.

You are the cancer that ruins every single Eva thread. I hate you.

You're right. I should not have doubted the Master.

Please don't engage with it user. Pleasee

When I first watched the anime, I was of the opinion that EoE's ending was the actual ending, being how coherent and explanatory it was in comparison to episodes 25 and 26. But I've now come to the realization that such coherency only lends itself to appeasing the anti-art fanbase, the one that was in an uproar thanks to the initial ending of the show. Such fanbase only cares about waifuism, mecha, "fun", and clear narrative. Even if Anno wanted to make a budget-backed surrealist encapsulation of the show's last episodes, he couldn't, as he was already at the mercy of the fans, studio, and committee. So really, EoE has about as much merit to the series as the banality surrounding "Rei or Asuka?", with a chime of "Misato" somewhere in there. EoE is the Rebuilds' predecessor, and as such it's really no surprise the Rebuilds turned out the way they did - the signs were all there, after all
>wasn't even interesting or entertaining
Those are arbitrary elements that only exist in the viewers brain as they interpret what they're watching, and Anno as an auteur had no obligation to pander to them.

Shinji isn't even that messed up by the show's standard in this. It's in EoE where we get the serious leaps of character logic, where Shinji is both depraved and bold enough to openly masturbate to someone. I get that they were aiming for a higher rating, but it just feels inconsistent with TV Shinji.

It's also where "2deep4u" got started.

wow literally 2deep4u. not even joking, imagine being this daft that you're unable to make basic critical or analytical thought

Pretty sure that'd be the meta-shitposting Asukafags and Kaworufags. Nothing wrong with either of the posters you quoted.

Pretty sure that'd be a meta-shitposting reifag he quoted. Nothing wrong with Kaworufags and Asukafags.

You must be new.

It's
"posters who talk about eva"
vs
"autistic rei-hating kaworu and asukafags"

You lose.

That is an autistic Asuka and Kaworu hating Reifag.

It's "posters who imply Rei is brought up as a hero of Evangelion with le beautiful message of Godpower rewards" versus "people who objectively analyze Eva"
You lose by default

Please stop.

Every fucking thread seems to devolve into these shit flinging arguments of Kaworufags, Asukafags, and Reifags. Who gives a fuck. No fan base is completely comprised of shitposters, each fan base has plenty of shitposters of their own.

It's
"posters who talk about eva"
vs
"autistic rei-hating kaworu and asukafags"

You lose.

Tell the butthurt idiots to quit throwing a shitsperg every time Rei or Evangelion is mentioned then, these butthurt asukafags and kaworufags only come here to shitpost anyway.

Asukafags and Kaworufags are eternally butthurt that Reifags kick their ass every time, and they get triggered by original NGE since they're used to spinoff fanservice pandering. Threads always go fine until they come around.

It's just one or two messed up retards though.

It's "autistic posters who imply fan want bullshit Rei is brought up as a hero of Evangelion with le beautiful message of Godpower rewards" versus "people who objectively analyze Eva"
You lose by default
Samefag

Pandering to Reifags fucked over Evangelion.
ref. the scene where Shinji almost destroys the whole world in order to save Rei, all that pandering for the sake of a shit tier ship.

Stop being so buttthurt Asukafag. You hate Rei so much it only takes a little mention of her for you to totally lose it. Must suck being fan of Asuka.

Stop being so butthurt, Kaworufag. Projecting Kaworu's bad influence on Evangelion onto Rei only proves you're in a denial/bargaining phase.

*pandering to Asukafags and Kaworufags

Last I checked, Anno wasn't a fan of Rei, but of Asuka with a preference for Kaworu. The world was destroyed to please Asuka and Kaworufags who wanted to see the original Evangelion ruined, to be replaced with shallow fanservice for their own characters. It explains why we got one sperging Asuka and Kaworufag ITT because they got triggered by 90's Evangelion talk. You ruin every thread you're in, consider how well it went before you decided to shit the place up.

I didn't mean it. Just giving an example of how you retards sound. Every single thread is derailed with your victim complex and attacking other characters.

Difference is, is true. is not and never will be.

Stop being so butthurt, reifag, implying every person who dislikes you and disagrees with you is either a Kaworufag or Asukafag shows your insecurity about your favorite character. The amount of posts where you openly attack fans for things they are not responsible for also shows me that you spend most of your time here and lack basic sense of reason. It seems you're just a desperate hikikomori with no education who's wasting his life on pointless hateposting for the sake of your so-called waifu.

It's amazing how your perception of reality is so distorted and delusional. You are objectively wrong in everything you say, yet you insist in keep saying anyway. You don't know the fundaments of fallacy and logic, you commit non sequitur and red harring all the fucking time and sound like you really believe all the bullshit you write.

I deleted that, you made me look bad.
Anyway that particular Reifag does not need defending.

>implying I give a fuck about your inane metashit

You just need to stop ruining EVA threads, and you are fooling no one by pretending you're not a butthurt asukafag or kaworufag. Because it's you every fucking time. Reminder that in this thread, and in every single thread, any hateposting is always started by either a Kaworufag or an Asukafag.

Anno panders to himself, the "hateful" Asukafags and Kaworufags have nothing to do with it.

Heard it before, shitposter. See where the usual Asukafag butthurt begins. Remove Asukafag, remove problem. Simple.

They sure have a lot to do with shitposting in these threads. It has to stop. We were having great discussion until one of these retards can't take it any more and burst out in metaposting. Why does Rei trigger them so much?