Have you notice that anime is becoming more "accepted" in the west...

Have you notice that anime is becoming more "accepted" in the west, to the extent it's basically just treated as another hobby, like watching films or playing video games?

I think this is a pretty nice thing. A few people try to snipe at it with outdated criticism or biased news articles, but the zeitgeist has moved away from them. They're in the minority now, and most people just treat anime the same as anything else. In general, everyone is a lot more informed than they used to be.

But now western pigs are complaining about Japan's laws even though Japan has less crime than their shitty western countries. Japan has already caved in a little and as a result I can guarantee that child sexual abuse is going up over there.

Not at all.

Dude.

You're a retard.

I like Japan like everybody here but
>believing in Japanese government crime statistics
Please user, you can't be that stupid.

Anime is still inherently cringy and autistic, I dont know if its becoming more accepted, but its certainly more well known.

They only lie to tell the truth.

>Anime is still inherently cringy and autistic,
If you believe this why are you on Sup Forums?

apparently the LN/Isekai boom is the result of western expansion

it's all your fault

Can I reveal my power level now?

The problem is more with the fans than anime itself. If I see anyone using anime avatars on any website or platform there is a 99.9% chance they're retarded and I disregard them.

No because I don't lurk Facebook like you apparently do.

I don't take notice of the outside world.

Yup, Japan is pretty safe, if you are a guy who wont get groped on a train. An overworked salaryman is a ticking time bomb of stress and alcohol.

So because of anime, people to be avoided make themselves more visible? Sounds like a big upside to me.

go the fuck back to Sup Forums, stay there
go the fuck back to Sup Forums, stay there
one bbc article from like a year ago written by a feminist = THE WEST IS TRYING TO CHANGE JAPAN'S LAWS (they can't do that, japan is a sovereign nation, not a vassal state of israel like your country)

That's weird considering LNs still barely get translated in the US and slowly at that.

Fact of the matter is you can tell your non-weeb friends and family "Hey check out this cool Netflix original" and show them Ajin and they won't bat an eye. Netflix Originals are widely accepted as good shows.

No it's not a good thing, fuck off.

How can we stop the west from ruining anime?

Because if it's in a language I dont understand it cant hurt me.
And it's not like I have much self-worth anyways.

>MUH CLUB
>MUH SEEKRET CLUB

You can start by calming down.
The popularity of comic book films didn't lead to them dumbing down the plots. If anything they're smarter than ever.

Same is true of anime. If they dare dumb it down people will notice and complain.

Well done user, that's exactly what he said. Well perceived!

i showed my non-weeb family and friends md geist

You say that as if it was a bad thing.

Unironically, there is nothing wrong with this. It's no worse than Game of Thrones and that is extremely popular.

They changed their laws concerning obscenity as recently as 2014.

Honestly there's been moral panic about Chinese cartoons since the 80s, the hand-wringing is nothing new. Overall, anime is becoming more accepted as a hobby that isn't just for basement-dwelling pedophiles. I don't generally talk to people I don't know well about anime anyway so I guess it doesn't really affect me, but I still see it as a positive.

reddit and MAL likes their SAO

Is this really a big factor though? I mean, SAO is pretty yuge in Japan too and they'd be more likely to buy shitty ripoff isekai LNs, surely that's the main thing.

>yuge

Any club that lets anyone in and doesn't try to protect its exclusivity is bound to be fucking boring.

I know you shits have been repeating "muh sikrit club" as an insult for years, but it's literally the only thing that's kept this shithole enjoyable.

I blame pewdiepie

Kill yourselves.

Anime is getting more popular, that doesn't mean Sup Forums will. They flock to reddit and the MAL forums. Our toxic asses are almost certainly safe here.

>I don't generally talk to people I don't know well about anime anyway
You talk to them every fucking day, user. That's what Sup Forums is. And when socially-acceptable fags pour in, that's certainly not a positive.

Yeah, but I just don't think they're going to pour in here, it's not a hospitable environment for them. This board does not have the ingredients to be another Sup Forums as far as I can tell.

Im i the only one that hates everyone that talks openly about anime?
I know exactly what kind of person that does this is, every fucking time.
A) some underage fag that thinks he knows everything about anime because he watched one ecchi harem show and some gateway anime and thinks he has a powerlevel ( if you have ever been on twitch and looked at the chat that's about it)
or
B) Some dude with an actual powerlevel but he can literally not read any social cues at all or just down right sufferes from some kind of actual autsim.

Im currently suffering under example B
Even on my IT university where everyone plays videogames during breaks there is just that one fat, almost 30 something, already starting to get grey hairs faggot that wont shut up about how much he loves Madoka and listens to metal rock anime soundtracks whenever he can.

Also im sorry to burst your bubble OP but even in my computer engenering class that is like 98% guys submerged in internet culture, he has still manages to make them feel uncomfortable, so much so that nobody wanted to share a room with him during out mandatory trips.

No having anime getting attention is not "nice" in fact it's fucking horrible.
We have enough retards on Sup Forums as it is.
Let me have one fucking secret club not ruined by retards.

Cause we're all fucking cringy autists and if you don't believe it just check the catalog

You say that but you can see a bunch of examples of rising popularity of x on the internet ruining the boards for x on Sup Forums. Sup Forums, /r9k/, /x/, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, etc. all ruined by the sekrit club failing.

Sup Forums is a central place to discuss topics, regardless of its reputation. People will want to join in on the central community for a topic, so the natural conclusion is that the more people get into a hobby the more people will come to Sup Forums. Now not every normalfag and their grandma will come to Sup Forums, but your little brother and his friends might decide to check out the epic jojo memes in the general on Sup Forums.

Please provide a real statistic that isn't a hearsay from few attention whore.

You're the worst kind of hipster. Fuck you.

>And when socially-acceptable fags pour in
They won't.

>hipster
Once again people throw around a word that has lost all meaning.

I get what you're saying, but with the obvious exceptions of Sup Forums and /x/ (and imo /x/ doesn't suffer as badly as the other boards anyway, I remember that place being just as full of retards back in 2010/11), I think these boards' fundamental difference compared to Sup Forums is that there isn't one super well-known place to just generally discuss the topics encompassed by those boards. I'm not too familiar with reddit because I can't stand the layout but it seems to me like discussion is often hyper-specific, so people looking to just shitpost about broad stuff, they really only have Sup Forums to go to. Whereas anime has MAL and other forums.

Let's wait for america world police to ban lolis, ultra violent manga, everything that is perceived as harmful to White people. Fuck america

I don't think the perception of anime has changed much. It's always been viewed as a niche thing for nerds and still is. But with CR and Netflix anime has become more accessible to people who, while somewhat nerdy, aren't really in the know-how for piracy and media players. Those types of people also tend to be more normal, more well adjusted, so it may appear that anime has gone more mainstream. But it's still seen as something nerdy, more like comic books than films or television.

You left out the person that's worse than both of those.
The one who looks down through his nose at all anime because he's convinced they're all "ecchi harem" when the reality is those comprise a small number of anime each season. You know, those people who talk about "the good old days of anime" because they watched Gundam Wing on Toonami back in the day.

Oh? Please explain how you aren't a hipster. You're literally the definition of the [autistic screeching] meme right now. You're getting mad because people like the thing you like.

Go on, you fucking loser. Do you really think you're somehow more deserving or entitled to enjoy anime over others?

Comic books are getting films.
Anime is also getting films (Ghost in the Shell).

What's your response to this?

what are the ingredients?

He's saying he hates people who talk about anime in public, not people who like anime. Please learn to fucking read retard

Comic books are getting films because nobody fucking reads comic books anymore and Marvel needs to get their shekels somehow, and anime doesn't have nearly as massive of a live-action industry attached to it at the moment even if some notable titles are coming out in the near future. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Posting here because I didn't want to post a new thread and this'll get pruned anyway:

How do anons catalogue all the shit they've read and watched? I'm a lazy fucker and always played it by ear but now I'm feeling slightly lost with catching up on backlog, catching updates etc.

myanimelist

Taiga

What was the last big Western comic book? Scott Pilgrim?

The films are mainstream but the comics are not widely read. You probably have friends or family that watch a lot of superhero movies, but I'd imagine most of them don't read the comic books. Likewise with the GITS movie. A lot of people who don't have any interest in anime and manga will go see it, because it's a new big budget blockbuster with ScarJo in it. But the vast majority won't develop any interest in the source material or anime and manga as a whole.

I watch it and remember that I've watched it.

use MAL and don't tell anybody

Well I'm open to correction, but as far as I remember (about as far back as 2011/12), Sup Forums was always a pretty friendly board that wasn't as horribly contemptuous of normies as Sup Forums is. Then a lot of Tumblr-friendly Sup Forums shit started coming out, like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, and they got overrun. Sup Forums has the Tumblr-friendly stuff to some extent, like Free! and Yuri on Ice, but I think we're just too hostile to normies to let the board be taken over by them.

I noticed that Hikari a cute

The last one that I read was Minus.

Just keep everything you download into organized folders. I've tried using online lists but I just can't bother updating them.

MAL+Taiga (it updates shows as they are watched without the need to visit the site every time)
As long as you don't interact with cringe community it's alright.

Tumblr kids could be one. Too many of the shows on here are either too obscure or too raunchy/sexist/whatever bullshit for them to comprehend. Sup Forums has more series with larger normie/tumblr fandoms

This isn't true at all. When some girl at a bar I was at asked me who my type was, apparently "a budding 2D 13 year old" was enough for her to stop talking to me.

I'd argue that Sup Forums just has its own distinct culture,even when compared to most boards here.
Sup Forums used to be nice (and at times still is) for dumps of really cool shit you'd otherwise never know about (a bit like Sup Forums) but that was still a drip in the water to eternal capeshit.

Of course she were, JY is the only acceptable patrician taste.

I don't mind more popularity over here.
But with the recent surge of adaptations I hope it brings in some "real" fans. At the very least I hope if they are interested they check out the source material. normies don't really understand that anime is a medium and not a genre so I feel like anime gets lumped into "pedoshit with robots and tentacles" 8 times out of 10 (a reason why I don't like fanservice showing up damn near everywhere). Getting over that would be great for the industry in the west.

It's true.

I see people walk around town with Shingeki no Kyojin hoodies and Death Note messenger bags all the time.

It's a niche medium, like comic books. People know about it, but only the most mainstream stuff / things you see on netflix. As soon as you go a little deeper people get weirded the fuck out.

>But the vast majority won't develop any interest in the source material or anime and manga as a whole.
What makes you so confident? Wait and see how it turns out.

>I see people walk around town with Shingeki no Kyojin hoodies
People actually walk around with those? I thought they were just collectibles.

I saw a car in Cleveland with the fucking ranger corps or whatever logo on the hood.

Nah, I see them all the time. Usually worn by some skinny 14-year-old kid with no indoor voice, but occasionally also by girls in their 20s who think they're special for liking something "obscure". Haven't seen any Death Note merch in ages, but I imagine that could change with the new movie.

>Sup Forums has the Tumblr-friendly stuff to some extent, like Free! and Yuri on Ice, but I think we're just too hostile to normies to let the board be taken over by them.
Yeah, but the threads themselves exist here without conflict. So the fact of the matter is we here on Sup Forums are open to gay stuff just fine.

You know how todays gay people feel the need to announce their homosexuality to everyone on the street with their gay parade?
That's more like it for those people.

I'm confident because comic book movies are way more popular than comic books themselves. Since anime is foreign I think it's even less likely to gain a following from a Hollywood adaptation. But like you said, I could be wrong, so we'll have to wait and find out.

Yeah, but those're Sup Forums fujos, people complain but they really don't cause much trouble. They're a different breed to tumblr people.

>Being this fucking far off the point
Okay faggot i'll go along with it.
Let's say i really am a hipster.
Let's say i really do dislike a thing because it suddenly became popular.
What is so bad about not wanting more people for coming in and ruining what i like?

I have never gotten why some people are literally contrarians and not the kind of buzzword you throw around endlessly.
Im talking people taking a dislike to something because it's just cool to do apparently.
But i do get the people that have a thing they like and don't want to share it with anyone because they will change what you like about it.
It happens every fucking time, humans are inherently just fucking good at fucking up stuff for other people.

So let's take it from the top once again
No i don't fucking wanna talk/argue with retards that has no proper understanding of the media.
Do you think a football cotch wanna have a serious talk about sports with people who don't know the rules of the game?
No i don't like people changing what i like about X thing, nobody fucking does.
You don't go up to a cheff and ask him to make something without using the ingrediens that makes the dish what it is,that's not how it work it's either a new recipe or a different dish then.

Let me say this one more time your faggot ass can understand.
We have enough retards on Sup Forums as it is and you being all open armed about anime to everyone is only gonna ruin it, not only for Sup Forums but for the industry as a whole.
Nothing good ever comes out of something having broad appeal

>They're a different breed to tumblr people.
How so? I haven't seen any difference.

In that they don't lose their shit over the discussion of anime that they deem to be offensive in some way and instead mainly just stay in their lane.

No social justice, only homo sex.

>occasionally
They're worn almost exclusively by girls where I am

They don't scream at you about being an ignorant cis-shit that is committing microaggressions all the time.

SJWism goes a little too far on that site.

Is anime surprisingly popular with girls, or are they just much more likely to wear merch outside?

Thankfully it is more of a kid thing in my city, but yeah, also an increasing number of girls with blue hair who probably say stuff like "rawr means I love you in dinosaur :3"

This is literally, unironically the most apt description of these types of people.

While i really don't wanna defend fujos the main reason we hate them so much is because they force their stupid ships and headcanons into everything.
If you where in any of the Flip Flappers threads when that aired you could tell that most of the /u/fags are deluded to the point where they actually start seeing things that aren't there.
And while i do hate them for ruining all discussion and just generally being annoying i can't really hate them as much as regular tumblrtards.

Same reason why i couldn't really hate people that are good at videogames i find trash.
If you're a top 500 player in Overwatch or w/e kids play nowadays you have to be committed to it on a level most people just aren't.

>anime is more accepted in the west.
Go ahead and recommend your "friends" some high powerlevel anime like gochiusa. It will be fine. They will totally not say it's pedophilia and should be banned.

Not you again.

That's nowhere near as annoying as the /u/ posters who insist a show is garbage just because of the presence of a male character. Even if he's completely unoffensive or even a genuinely good character. To them anything that isn't 100% yuri is trash, and guess what? They complain about the yuri stuff too!

It seems the only thing they're genuinely satisfied with is yuri manga. I don't know why they even attempt to discuss anime or video games.

there's still fucking idiots that think anime is for degenerates.
I know I might get bitched at for saying this but I'm kind of a normie. One of my kind-of-normie friends, which constantly browses Sup Forums (and believes the autistic shit posted there), constantly trashes anime for breeding degenerates and that Japan is shit, we haven't nuked them enough, etc etc etc.

It's going to be the same with video games in the modern age, I think. Most people will accept it, but some people will be dumb and say it's gay.

Sup Forums is not an accurate cross-section of society, though. Thankfully. Your average normie, while not completely on board with anime, will probably be less wary of someone mentioning they like it than they would have been ten years ago. Also that guy sounds like trash.

The people responsible for the stupid obscenity laws in Japan are conservatives, not the dreaded ess jay dubyas which are pretty much nonexistent over there. Its based on "muh traditional values" peal-clutching crap, not "muh soggy knees" or anything like that, anyone who doesn't realize that right-wingers are the fucking kings of censorship is an underage reactionary retard.
How so? If anything the genre seems based on escapism meant to appeal to hikkis and overworked autists
I haven't read it, but I head Saga is pretty popular with normies.
>Then a lot of Tumblr-friendly Sup Forums shit started coming out, like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, and they got overrun.
>le Sup Forumsmblr maymay
How exactly is Sup Forums "tumblr" in any way?

>again
I'm always here.

>not the dreaded ess jay dubyas which are pretty much nonexistent over there

No they exist.

The difference is that over there, unlike in the West, the general populace and especially the big corporations don't give a shit about their screaming.