Exposition and Manga

I'm moderately familiar with manga, so tell me why does every author feel the need to have his character painstakingly TELL you what does simple symbolism mean when he's already drawn it in great detail?

Is it insecurity or are they being forced to go to extreme lengths of exposition? I always thought Jojo was using it as a crutch for humor but it's everywhere.

>Look! I'm writing this post on a keyboard

Because readers are morons.

Well when reading most manga I feel like it could be at least 10x shorter and they're doing it to increase page count.

Asians don't really have the show don't tell rule. It's just not part of the culture. Japan, being a bit more western then other Asian countries isn't nearly as bad as this. Read some Chinese shit, some of that is just mountains of exposition and nothing else.

so azns are genetically incapable of good storytelling?

Because if you don't do that then people here will bitch about stuff coming out of nowhere. When your fanbase consists mostly of autists, you can't use even the simplest of metaphors.

>moderately familiar
Just say that you are a newfag.

nah, just not reading every magical witch nyanners panzer gaiden madoka: fate eternal like most of you spergs here

Ah, I see you are a mature manime fan with a wicked sense of humour, good sir.

Ever since they brought in Schierke, she's been used for giving out exposition. But given the long running nature of Berserk, i'm sure a lot of people didn't read the first half of Berserk and just picked it up in the middle without getting the story. In that way, she's kind of necessary.

wow you're a retard

Because Farnase is thick as shit.

>i'm sure a lot of people didn't read the first half of Berserk and just picked it up in the middle without getting the story. In that way, she's kind of necessary.
or, you know, those idiots could just go fuck themselves

Internal Affairs had good exposition through symbolism.

Most readers are retards.

Because it's not supposed to be symbolism for you, it's supposed to be symbolism for the characters. There's plenty there to look deeper into that wasn't spelled out, like the fact the collar is spiked like the Berserker armor, or how he's weighed down by the coffin while trying to fight the bats, or how he goes ballistic when they attack the coffin, but not himself.

nice excuse

If you aren't aware yet, he is crawling with the pace and looking for any excuse to extend the pages

In cases like this it's because the author wants everyone to understand what the symbolism means.

It's usually all about what the characters are THINKING. But they communicate their thoughts out loud - because as characters in fiction they may as well be.

I don't have a problem with it. If you know exactly what a character is thinking it provides more immersion, and I enjoy the analyzation.

Your problem is probably more that you want a faster pace and less analyzing. Which is understandable as sometimes series move at a glacial pace. Some scenes in the shingeki no kyojin anime are ridiculous with the amount of words being thrown at you which can really fuck the pacing of the show.

you're acting as if it's the only method to convey thinking in a visual medium

Because it's a manga and rushing pages makes no sense, it deliver incoherent pacing especially when it comes to manga like berserk. Miura only did 21 pages this time and he has done way longer in the old chapter 10 years ago. You happened to be caught up in the current chapters where updates are infrequent, which you beg for more since there's nothing left for you. Lots of shitty Amrican comic artist and as bad as Miura on this topic, and it's quite normal too.

not really unless you read capeshit

>show dont tell
While I only agree to a certain extend, anyone who follow this writing method religiously should hang themselves. It makes me cringe everytime /lit/ards brought this subject up in a thread.

>muh graphix novel