Hey Sup Forums I am doing a survey for personal interest

Hey Sup Forums I am doing a survey for personal interest.
This is the scenario: Your child (18) calls you late at night. It seems he has crashed into a tree, driving while drunk. There is damage to the tree and car, and he wants you to pick him up. Now, you have a way to also get the car back. No one will ever know who hit the tree, the police will never investigate. Do you, of your own volition, report your child to the police?

strawpoll.me/14733023

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14733043
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wow man, cool survey! I voted.

Obviously the answer is no. Only broken families call the police on each other.

Sometimes the behavior of a family member is so dangerous you are left no other choice but to call, but this isn't one of those cases.

Is the police report for the damage of property, or dwi?

There's not even a mechanism for reporting people for dwi

obviously no. Why ruin my child's life over a literal victimless crime? that fucker is going into rehab and AA, but if there are no injuries and the only property damaged was my own, then i see no reason to get the police involved.

For the dwi, and assume there is and he will face the penalties. The question is hypothetical, in the interest of finding out how much one values family.

Why kind of turbo autist would report his kid to police niggers

hey fuck that one vote for yes you know who you are bitch

no, because fuck the police.

of course not why the fuck would I ruin my kid's life?

OP Here. I would like to extend the question, consider this part two.

What if your child hit someone, and killed. Exact same scenario - no one will be the wiser, and you can deal with it yourself. Do you report your child to the police?

strawpoll.me/14733043

There's too many undefined details to answer.

Is the person seriously injured? Are they talking? Do they agree not to call the police?

The person was killed.

the dumb kid probably had his (((smartphone))) on him linking him to the scene at the time. death would bring in more level of manslaughter investigation so too hard to cover for him

There will never be an investigation. Read OP.

I did. It's an ill formed question. If I had a child that would do that I would want them to have their license taken away, have a collar around their ankle to humiliate them, and never forget that they have sinned horribly. If the police need to be involved to do that then I will make sure of it. To be so drunk to begin with that they crash is a sin, let alone that they could have easily killed many innocent people. You are a degenerate, get help.

HOLY FUCK

>There is damage to the tree
kek

Why is it an ill formed question?

Stop Leafposting, faggot.

Do I look like a narc to you?

I will protect those of my own blood.

Upon getting the phone call from your child is the call the cops option saying that you phone the police immediately or more sneakly? And depending on the location laws for drunk driving are vastly different. Which leads to people like thinking that it is a life ruining incident when it could be a heavy fine and a driving probation. I don't blame you at all, I'm just saying people from different places have different ideas of it.

>alcoholic
How deep is the wound in your soul that you think you can repair it with poison?

The question does not need to be so difficult. Everyone assumes that it will be difficult for the child, suspended licence and maybe jail time, on record, ruined insurance, etc.

And the child will know you reported.

I wouldn't bury a body in secret and leave a grieving family never knowing what happened to the guy he hit.

But if this hypothetical "deal with it yourself" bit allows me to do right by the victim (proper burial, closure & all that shit)... then no, I wouldn't involve the cops. What exactly is accomplished by involving them? Wastes taxpayer money. I lose my kid. He loses his college years, fucks his future, and probably gets radicalised by the first gang to protect him from anal rape.

Yes. Assume you leave some anonymous note letting the family know etc, the question breaks down to do you report your child, basically.

Some people assume certain things and then mindlessly rage out based off of it. Most Americans in general are infamous for it and this board is no exception. They are dumb enough as is fellow leaf.

I think most people understood the question easy enough, man. No need to be so tight all the time.

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Do you guys agree with this?

I said the question was poorly formed which led to an American calling me a fag. I carefully explained my position and explained to you that your question was in fact poorly formed at your insistence. Please.

since my son isn't hurt at all, so a hospital visit isn't warranted to complicate things further, it is probably not wise to call the cops on superman.

going by your strawpoll and ignoring a backstory, the answer is no, but he's gonna wish I did. 18 isn't too old to pull over my knee in front of his friends/girlfriend.

So... basically it's just the ethics of it being nepotistic or hypocritical to report a stranger but not your son?

I think I could discipline / rehabilitate my son better than the prison system can. Hell, I'd be willing to let the stranger walk too if I had some way of knowing he wouldn't do it again.

Can't see myself calling the cops unless I've already totally failed as a parent.

I think you're just autistic mate

Yeah, basically. Though I don't think its hypocritical, just a difference in value. You would obviously value your own child more than another's.

I am not American enough to fall for classic LEAF posting. If you aren't you may have a minor case of severe retardation.

If my kid killed anyone other than a white person, then I get him and we go out drinking for more celebration.

Wow, sometimes these polls are too easy.

what is self-selection bias

So basically you want the police to parent your child. In this case, you're a terrible parent who wants others to do your job for you.

Please don't have kids.

For hitting a tree? What kind of retarded shit is this? If my kid hit a person I could see why there would be a reason to alert the authorities (even though I wouldn't snitch on him but I would encourage him to come clean)but why would the constables give a shit about some tree? Id tell my kid that everyone makes choices some are good some are bad like drinking and driving. Just learn from your mistakes because while it's okay to have a good time its not okay to endanger your life or anyone else's and while you can make decisions sometimes your decisions make you

>report your child to police
>ruins most chances of really good jobs due to criminal background, because you couldn't just be a parent
No, beat the fuck out of him when he gets home and tell him to get a damn job to pay for the repairs HE did to his car. That's how an adult does things.

30 years ago I would have reported him, because we lived in a fair(ish) society where his punishment would have been served with like minded idiots.
Nowadays no, I wouldn't report him, there is no point to being virtuous in today's society, and living in a prison filled with niggers is not rehabilitative.