Did anime peak during the late 90s? Everything in the 80s was QUALITY and the voice acting was terrible...

Did anime peak during the late 90s? Everything in the 80s was QUALITY and the voice acting was terrible. And it was right before studios went digital so it has all the charm from background art.

Other urls found in this thread:

sakugabooru.com/post?tags=one-punch_man
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

art and animation wise, yes

Civilization as a whole peaked then, Mr. Anderson.

Still waiting for this thread to produce a post that isn't terrible

>Did anime peak during the late 90s?
In case you didn't notice, 90's is when the economy was booming. Of course it is easier to make decent anime when making money was easy.

Miyazaki, that you? Give it a rest old man no one really likes your movies. They're just being nice or they're trying to get your money.

Depends what you mean with peak. The 90s had very high points at their best, you have to back to a couple of titles in the 70s and forward in the 2010s to see the same but in lesser number. The problem is that in 90s when an anime was bad it was really really bad, its when shoujo manga went to shit until recently.

Personally I consider the 90s the worst decade overall.

Mate, Japan's economic stagnation started in the 90s.

>Did anime peak during the late 90s?
They looked OK.
But man were they fucking dumb.

>90s trying to SOL
Horrible!

>Everything in the 80s was QUALITY
Not true. Not even counting the several high-budget OVAs and movies, the 80s had some shows that were ahead of their time, and with constant animation quality.
See: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

One show hardly dismisses my point.

TV animation is better than ever with the likes of Space Dandy, Nichijou, One-Punch Man, and Mob Psycho being just some of the great animation standouts over the last few years.

>One Punch Man
Really not proving my point about the industry when you post a show that had like 10 episodes and way too many stills too count.

I feel like, as a whole, you just have very little knowledge on anime if you think 1pm stood out for its animation.

The animation in One-Punch Man isn't 10/10, it's just better than most other stuff on at the moment.

I dunno man, I just hate the digital look.

OPM's problem were the bland art and directing. It solely relied on the animators for anything remotely interesting. What do you think OPM stood out for then, if not the animation?

sakugabooru.com/post?tags=one-punch_man
Look, many people have deemed around 100 scenes worthy of uploading to sakugabooru. That's a lot for a one-cours show. You'd have to be some kind of massive contrarian faggot to say OPM didn't have impressive animation, I'm not a fan of the show but I can acknowledge the work done by the show's skilled animators. The people who worked on the show represent a lot of the top young action animators out there.

That's because it's a popular show you've got a lot of people uploading shit.

Popular shows with shit animation aren't going to get anything uploaded.

>Everything in the 80s was QUALITY
You've never seen them, right?

I was more implying the opposite.

Oh I've seen them, that's why I can make that claim.

Honestly I think digital animation that plays into the strengths of the tools with properly integrated CGI is better than the best animation from the 90s or 80s.

Anime peaked in 2014.

Not enough shows came up in the 90s to be considered the peak... only like 1 per season worth watching usually.

I'm not qualified to say. I was a kid in the 90s, so I overrate everything from that era, and I don't even watch modern anime.

brb blowing my brains out

It's an objective fact if you can't accept it maybe you should stick to your cherrypicked webms from billion yen budgeted movies

There were OVAs and movies with outstanding art. 90s series were better than 80s in terms of quality but that ugly style ruinned them.

But Flip Flappers came out this year.

The screen you posted is from a movie

Last year*

My bad

I like the style of 90s anime the best, and I love a lot of shows form then. I don't know if it's really the best decade overall, but it's probably my personal favorite.

Read my post.

Since 2014 disc sales have really turned into garbage. That why companies are trying to reach to the female audiences now to try to milk them dry as they did with the male audience to hopefully bring up disc sales up again. I only see it as temporary band-aid that would eventually burst.

Oh well movies have always had a budget. But Japan isn't good at making movies so I guess I kind of was focused on the OVA part of your comment since it's clear movies will always have a budget

I'd say the late 90s is when balance between creativity and mass-appeal peaked. Cel-based animation was also pretty much mastered at that time.
The early 90s, though, clearly suffered from the economic downturn.

>But Japan isn't good at making movies it's clear movies will always have a budget
Why are people who don't know what they're talking about so obsessed with talking about the state of anime?

Do you have any examples of this or is this purely on a theoretical level because modern works are too cheap to actually do it?

CCS is good for 90s but by today standard it just a mediocre.

Ghibli does it but that's for obvious reasons.

I think Baka Test is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Why today anime have a very large cast? You cannot make a good anime if you have 10+ characters to develop in 12 episodes.

>not enough shows
It matters little when 20 years ago a cour was 26 episodes while now it's 12 or 13. What good is a larger number of shows if they don't give themselves enough time to establish themselves and really get good?

Oh, now I see what you're getting at. Yeah, I can definitely see the strengths in what you're saying. Personally I prefer traditionally animated ones because at least to me the physical aspect makes it feel more alive, also I just like the look of works on film.

Japan isn't good at making movies dude. They just aren't.

>but by today standard it just a mediocre.
What standards? Most shows struggle to reach even 10 episodes these days.

CCS is a gift from the CLAMP gods. That being said, it's hard for me to watch anime from before 2002 or so, because a lot of them are shaky. Like, the screen shakes a little. Don't know what causes that but it irritates the shit out of me. Thank god it's been fixed since then.

CCS is mostly monster of the week episode, it is unacceptable in today standard.

>Japan is good at making 80 minute long anime that go straight to VHS
>But Japan is terrible at making 80 minute long anime that go to the theater then VHS
ok

You can easily. Not if they're all part of the main cast though. But if you take the family of the MC alone you're already at 10 before you know it.

So you haven't seen it?

It is widely accepted that movies need at least 2 hours in most cases. What 80 minute shit are you talking about? What anime is only 4 episodes long that is actually good?

You take that back. It does monster of the week very well.

I have no clue what you are describing.

Congratulations, you've won the stupidest post in the thread award! It says here that you won it for claiming that Japan, home to one of the great world cinemas, isn't good at making movies!

Miyazaki stop samefagging so hard into getting people to like your movies please.

Hmm...

-Ghost in the Shell
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Serial Experiments Lain

And there was no overuse of CGI. 2D+3D looks ridiculous .

>he's never seen Japanese kino
Heem yourself

>It is widely accepted that movies need at least 2 hours in most cases.
By who? At one point it was accepted that 90 minutes was all you need and 120 minutes runs the risk of dragging on too long.

Have you seriously not heard names like Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Suzuki, Naruse, and so on? If so, why are you opening your pig ignorant mouth when you don't know shit?

I cant tell if youre baiting or just trying to wing youre way through pretending to actually know anything about film. PROTIP: Pick a less popular field to try and be pretentious about, you aren't subtle.

Exceptions aren't rules.

>90 minutes was all you need
No such thing. If your story can't keep people entertained for 2 hours it's just not a good story to begin with. 90 minutes is just marketing talk, cheaper to make etc. Call it the bare-minimum if you will.

Considering like half of those names are in this very thread already, yes i've heard of them. Please do not talk about a handful of people because that's pretty pathetic if that's all you've got.

>I'm not sure what I'm talking about but here's my opinion anyway
How am I pretentious?

Today's standard of storytelling

-Saturate every episode with pointless exposition
-spend no time fleshing out your characters
-Only attempt to give nuance to your characters when its necessary for the plot
-end every episode in a cliffhanger so people look past the shallow characters
-make your character act totally OOC in the ending so retards think they had actual development

Also, none of those are animated movies. Only further proving my point

Every single thing you said in that post was fucking retarded. You don't know shit about film, and judging from the replies you're getting, the only person you're fooling into thinking you do, is yourself. And that's the truly tragic part here.

No, they're people.

So where are those good anime movies you seem so adamant on pretending exist? Because Miyazaki surely didn't make a single one.

>you're retarded because logical fallacy please feel sad for yourself because I say you are
I genuinely think you're the sad one for not knowing the usage of logical fallacies makes you look uneducated.

The late 90s have the best animation, so at least in some ways they were great. There are also many masterpieces. At the very least, they were a really good time for anime.

>If your story can't keep people entertained for 2 hours it's just not a good story to begin with
What if I don't want to make a story that takes 2 hours to tell? What if I've only got enough for 80-90 minutes and to put in another half hour would be nothing more than needless padding that simply detracts from the original experience?

>What if I don't want to make a story that takes 2 hours to tell
Then you don't know a story good enough to be worth my time.

90s had Slayers and Slayers Next so that makes it the peak of anime.

Lets rephrase that
>then you're not a writer good enough to write a story worth shit
There's exceptions obviously. But you're not one of them.

>tfw no good subgroup

it shakes because each frame is shot with a camera and then spliced together

bang

I dunno OP. Stuff like Space Dandy or Mob Psycho wouldn't have been feasible in the 90s so I'm pretty satisfied with the decade we're in.

>one cour shows
>not feasible in the 90s
You're right but not for the right reasons.

Digital compositing is what fixed it. Interestingly, there's actually some shows that were digitally composited, but artificially added that shaking (Godannar and the the Tenchi Muyou OVA, for example) and Sazae-san kept being made using cels fol several years after the whole rest of the industry switched to digital in 2001 because the director liked that shaking.

That's not what I meant user. On a technical level there's no way something like these shows would have been doable 20 years ago. I really feel like the 2010s have been good for the medium itself.

Iyashikei and SoL didn't really take off until the 2000s, so no.

But animation wise, the 90s were better

Not in Japan you fuck, japan's booming period was the 80s, it ended in the early 90s

Alice in wonderland was made in 1950

>On a technical level there's no way something like these shows would have been doable 20 years ago.
See