Pre-2000 anime/manga thread. What are you watching/reading?

Pre-2000 anime/manga thread. What are you watching/reading?

Pic related, I finished it last night. It was a decent movie, could really use a re-release though (BD never). The LD is way too dark, some scenes later in the movie are one giant shadow.

Other urls found in this thread:

sakugabooru.com/post/show/24621
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=630255
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sakugabooru.com/post/show/24621
Good animation.

At least it's better than the initial release.

Just finished Tetsuwan Birdy. It was pretty good, but not something I'd call my favorite.

Funny, I downloaded Hashire Melos the other day along with Windaria. I watched Hello Harinezumi recently, it's an hour long detective mystery/thriller and kinda like the average detective show you'd find on TV but it's worth checking out, sadly there's no manga TL though.

I want to start reading Five Star Stories after watching the film as well, I'm expecting it to be like Star Wars but with mecha robots on stilettos, and apparently it's pretty hard to follow, how true is this?

I finished up Space Cobra a while back. overall it was fine. I do agree with the other user who watched it around the same time that the final arc felt a bit silly also that fucking final enemy. I'll probably watch the movie in the near future and I look forward to that

Currently making my way through the first season of Lupin. My first experience with Lupin was with season two and so far I still prefer that over this, but I'm only up to episode 9 so we'll see how I like the second half

I've been watching Ghibli stuff lately.

Watched Mononoke Hime in years while remembering nothing about it, so it was a pretty fresh experience for me. I think both english and japanese dubs have their merits, although I prefer Japanese a bit more. I think the choreography and character designs are the best part about that film.

Pom Poko was pretty underwhelming. I loved the creative transformations, but the constant shift in tones and the obvious ending and message was a let down.

I should watch Totoro next.

In retrospect, Cobra was pretty decent. And yeah, that last arc.

Been watching Ashita no Joe 1. It's alright, but I can't say I'm really a fan. Few episodes left, looking more forward to the 1980 version. Also downloading random old canon movies I've never seen. Some early Toei stuff like Puss in Boots and Animal Treasure Island, plus some later cult stuff.

Totoro is my favourite movie!

I don't remember the exact details, but I think he did some retcons with the manga. I haven't followed it in forever since it was on hiatus for years.

I just finished watching City Hunter 1 this morning. I'll be starting 2 tomorrow

I thought Pom Poko was Ghibli's best take on environmentalism. A little humour goes a long way.

Do you know about Mei and the Kitten Bus? It's a Ghibli-museum exclusive, but some madman managed to sneak a camera and gift us all with a decent camrip.

I still have not watched the original Lupin, only the new series.

This is pretty great

How is the bluray of Ranma 1/2?

Each episode better not have a lame twelve-minute robot battle. I'm having way more fun when the characters are just chilling out and being Tomino weirdos.

lodoss is pretty good

been watching this too, pretty good stuff so far

how are you liking it? heard a lot about it before and jammed out to some of the great op's but haven't given it a watch myself yet

Watched the Ah! My Goddess OVAs the other day, they were pretty cute. I watched Ai Yori Aoshi over the summer and I now realise it's such a shameless ripoff that it's almost shocking, even by anime standards.

I'm now watching The Adventures of Mini-Goddess, which is also cute and fun. I really like the colour palettes of 90s anime for some reason, I find them a lot more appealing than what you see nowadays.

All that shading really makes the scene more dramtic

Anyone have the Discotek release of Lupin season 2? How's it compare to this? (which is the best version as far as I'm aware)
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=630255

I know the Crunchy/Horrible release is worse quality visually, and I know the Discotek version is said to have the best subs to date, but I'm curious about the video quality

The other Dazai Osamu adaptation, Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru. Watched it once when I was an early teen, but I recently found a blu-ray version so I'm all about seeing it again especially now that I'm more acquainted with Japanese literature.

Also Magic Knight Rayearth because I didn't get that far in the manga as a lad.

I'm only familiar with the fantastic mecha design from FSS and frankly I feel that's absolutely fine.

almost finished The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

its pretty fun

Finished Orphen S1 recently, it was alright, is Revenge as bad as everyone says?

Oh yeah I watch the original on DVD yearly. I need to get the newer 00's version at some point.

That's not Dazai

im in for some good old fantasy stuff, you know, kinghts, elves, and all taht jazz, watched lodos war a few weeks ago, any recommendations?

How do you confuse Miyazawa for Osamu?

Was planing to switch to the anime of Yu Yu Hakusho after a few chapters of the manga but the girls are too much cuter in the manga for me to make the switch

Lack of sleep.

Watched Legend of Lemnear recently with some buds, it's like a long lost chapter of Heavy Metal but Japanese. I fucking love it.

It seems weird to praise this, but the breast animation was really good; it was gratuitous, for sure, but the gratuity was almost all in the costume design and the way the shot was framed. The animation itself was just really realistically animated breasts. The straps of her bikini armor even kinda bunch up when they shorten to allow for her posture, there's a ton of really great attention to detail.

Also the fights are absolutely brutal.

It's worse.

Listen to me: Run far, far away and never look back.

Orphen: The Revenge is in the bottom three anime I have ever watched. What little tiny value can be squeezed out of this sloppy shitpile comes entirely from the dub script, and I'm not fucking joking. I don't know what the budget was for that show but I'm pretty sure it was less than my fucking rent.

Do not pursue.

Lodoss is fucking fantastic

I wish they still made shit like Lodoss.

I've seen Mononoke so many times I can't even appraise it anymore. It doesn't even look like anime to me now, it just looks like Mononoke. I'm not wowed by the animation because I just see a wolf or a boar or Ashitaka or whatever, I don't see the animation.

When it first came out on DVD when I was a kid I got a portable DVD player and the disc and I watched it every single night for at least a year. I still watch it multiple times a year. I recently got to see it in theatres again, and that was great.

>I really like the colour palettes of 90s anime for some reason, I find them a lot more appealing than what you see nowadays.

That's that cell animation, you just can't get the same look with computers for some reason. I really miss light tables.

That said, this current era has it's own worthwhile look and color palette, thank god we all made it through the awful early 2000s when everyone decided that since they had digital coloring, they didn't have to try anymore.

BakaBt has a great torrent for the entire series.

Not that guy by i have finished s1 and is mid s2. It's a pretty good show, but i don't think it's binge material since it's mostly episodic.

Giant Robo, Its really good.

I fucking love Giant Robo

Who knew Wuxia and Mecha worked so well together?

Really good if you dig episodic shows, has really well done character drama at times even for one-off characters you never see again since Ryo is a sweeper but mostly just fixes everyone's problems. The spinoff/sequel Angel Heart actually did the drama even better and had me crying like a bitch. One thing that did bug me is the only time he kills is in the first 5 episodes before Kaori shows up and a couple other times when Kaori is in danger since he doesn't want to kill while Kaori is around. In the first 5 he was just snuffing badguys left and right, even one time where he was in public and timed the shot just right to go into the ear canal of some boxer and send him flying out of the ring as he was being punched, but after that he just shot the guns out of hands and so-forth which I thought was a bummer. Also, the romance just kept being stalled and Kaori is one of those annoying violent bitches but it is tolerable since Ryo is more durable than a terminator.

Is the tv show worth watching, or just the ova?

A lot of people hate the TV series, but I liked it a lot so give it a chance and see for yourself rather than ignore it altogether.

Either way you need to watch the OVA first.

Have you watched Nausicaa yet?

Hashire Melos was nice but the BGM choice like generic sword & sorcery RPG soundtrack was so disorienting.

Don't forget Future Boy Conan, it predates the studio but is more or less Laputa the TV series.

Also, check out Junkers Come Here and Like The Clouds, Like The Wind. They have no relation to Miyazaki, but feel extremely similar. (The former got an ungodly horrible DVD cover for the US release, don't let it discourage you)

Been rereading GITS

Forgot how much lesbian shit is in it.

have you played the newest zelda?

Sometimes I feel like the only one who dislikes Lodoss War.

Don't watch the movies, they are terrible and they act so much out of character. It will ruin the series for you.

The Ova was fine though if I remember.

When I first watched Cello no Gauche I really felt it was Miyazaki inspired, and I think anyone who likes Miyazaki should watch it.