Why does banding exist? Why can't it be stopped?

Why does banding exist? Why can't it be stopped?

no one except autistic ppls pays any attetnion to it so who cares

God likes to pick on those she wants to fuck.

Because digital video needs to be heavily compressed for the file sizes to be sane.

Sup Forums here.

The vast majority of people use shitty TN LCD panels with gimped color ranges. They also use shitty audio devices with, again, gimped frequency ranges. For those people, there is no advantage to 10-bit H.264 or anything better than MP3.

MP3 is an especially good example, it completely cuts off all audio beyond certain frequencies because many people can't hear it and many headphones/speaks follow suit. The same pattern exists with video codecs and cheap LCD screens.

Anything better is perceived as a "waste", even though it's sometimes more efficient. It doesn't help that some autists play into this delusion by making retarded multi-gigabyte encodes for shit that simply doesn't warrant it.

>Sup Forums here
>posts with Reddit formatting
>is all wrong

Something isn't adding up.

Nicely put.

Every decent player have a debanding option.

>is all wrong
Not really but keep telling that yourself, faggot.

I won't understand why would you people care so much about video quality instead of actually caring about the show.
I started watching animated Japanese cartoons on pic related.
Now I have all these full hd ips 97% argb monitors and fast internet connection, B&O speakers in my tv and laptop, making possible to enjoy anime in better quality than my brain could process it.
And the production methods advanced light years too.
Yet I am still watching it in 480p streamed. Because I care about the content.

Yeah it's not like the art is a part of the content or anything.
You also watch with the sound distorted, right? And the colors inverted? Do you also watch it backwards? Or watch on random minute intervals? I mean who cares about seeing the show way it was intended, so silly am I right?

I know this is probably just bait but still

Paragraphs are "Reddit formatting" now?

You must be joking.

For whatever reason yeah.

where is it with potplayer/zoomplayer? I dont know know where to look

Problem is that VHS quality has nostalgia appeal.

Shitty banding doesn't.

bump

>gimped frequency range
Wow. This is the point where I stop and immediately disregard anything else you have to say.

>ppls
You need to be 18 to post on this website, kid.

Those paragraphs are all three lines long. Do you have your browser maximized to the edges of the screen like a retard or something?

Pretty sure people have been spacing their posts here since before reddit was even a concept.

Faggot

>proper spacing to make it more easier to the eyes is now reddit formatting

newfags, newfags everywhere.

paragraph after every line of text is not only wrong, but also retarded

That's not proper, retard. Go back to school.

Lol nope faggot.

Even with a shitty 6 bit TN panel the advantages of 10 bit encoding are apparent, it will reduce quantisation artifacts vs equivalent 8 bit encoding. It's selected for efficiency reasons, not the increased colour pallette.

The vast majority of audio devices cover the full audible range (in the upper end, not so much on the lower end).

The LAME mp3 encoder cuts off around 18.5kHz upwards on the standard preset (-V2 ~190 kbps vbr), not at all at on the extreme preset (-V0) and around 20kHz for the insane (320 kbps CBR) preset.

Now the vast majority of people won't hear higher than 18.5 kHz; and pretty much nobody old enough to use a computer can hear higher than 20. So claiming that these devices and MP3 have gimped frequency ranges is just inaccurate. Even at the bitrates found on older DVD encodes the lowpass filtering is on the threshold of human hearing.

>redit spacing

Post discarded.

>reddit spacing
Is this a new buzzword for paragraphs?

Look at the GPL, faggot enabler.