Reminder that pic related is the true ending

Reminder that pic related is the true ending.

Anyone that thinks that the last 2 episodes meant anything are objectively in the wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12620339/
youtube.com/watch?v=Rb17Qt1MdIM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reminder that Asuka is the best girl.

Anyone who thinks that ugly toilet Rei is the best girl is objectively wrong

EoE and the 2 last episodes from the series are the same thing you fucktard.

Reminder that Rei is the best girl.

Anyone who thinks that ugly toilet Asuka is the best girl is objectively wrong

What the fuck is that? I didn´t watch the anime but always there are people talking about this shit.

I don't care of spoilers, wouldn't care to see the anime and the movie desu

>not watching EoE up to start of instrumentality, then switching to the last two episodes before continuing with the movie
baaaaka

strawpoll.me/12620339/
strawpoll.me/12620339/
strawpoll.me/12620339/

are people serious when they say this? I can't tell. anno himself said the two endings are separate things, that they diverged.

not that guy but they are only seperate things in regards to visual appearance, not content.
one focused solely on the instrumentality project, the other gave us a prolog and epilog to work with

Reminder that EOTV is the true ending which was more true to the Eva TV series which didn't add needless drama or forced portrayals

No, they are different in content too. They're completely separate endings. Why is it so hard to see this?

It's true.
>Hayashibara: So there will be two episode 25s.
>Anno: Right, it will be a multi-ending.
>Hayashibara: So, a dual... ah, a multi-ending. After episode 24 the endings will diverge.
>Anno: Right.
>Hayashibara: There will be two of them.
>Anno: There will be two of them.
>Hayashibara: Ah, two endings.
>Anno: Yes.
>Hayashibara: In terms of gaming - is it called a simulation game? What do you call it? The ending for that [particular] self changes as you go on [through the game].
>Anno: Right, a multi-ending [game].
>Hayashibara: You took this road so you went here. You took this road so you went here. The ending changes. That's how it goes.
>Anno: Um. Evangelion is my live performance. Since I create it with this sense of it being live, what I'm thinking now, what I'm feeling now, my current mood, all this gets transferred onto film - that was the initial theme, or the theme I had in my mind.
>Hayashibara: Right.

Content was a poor choice of words, I admit.
So, what are those hugely differing endings?
In both of them, humanity gets tanged, we see misato dead, ritsuko dead, both of them in the same place. we see asuka in her eva underwater.
and then, in both of them, shinji rejects instrumentality at the end, choosing life as an individual himself.

are there any other anime where a climactic world ending event happens towards the end?

the actual third impact event is one of my fave scenes of all time

it happens in my favorite game too, maybe its just a trope I really like?

Just finished all this and feel depressed

>N-NO, U!
Sad!

>in both of them, shinji rejects instrumentality at the end
How so? I thought in the first ending the clapping scene in the end meant acceptance of instrumentality.

no, that's him overcoming the fear of other peoples' perceptions of him and learning it's possible (and necessary) to love himself

It's hard being a Reifan here. Asukafags just wont let us be.

What a fucking trash show holy shit just finished it 2/10 would not watch again

How does anyone not know that the two endings are the same? The TV series ending is taken from a psychological perpective with analysis and pseudo commentary on the characters.

Came here to post this. Any kind of divergence into an alternate universe happened in the Rebuilds. And anyone who can't tell EoE from the Rebuilds is an idiot.

It's not just Asukafags, the Kaworufags are equally hateful. They are like this because they need to protect the status quo.

>this projecting

and there we go, another one of them: proving it.

haha yeah bro just skip the last 2 episodes and watch the REAL ending xD

yes. but that's exactly it. he comes to inner peace because he is merged with the minds of the others. he let's go off the barrier that protects him from contact with other people (i.e. AT-field), goes through a rough phase in the beginning but is finally ready to join the others in their instrumentality-state.

I kind of like the idea that the whole Evangelion plot is just an imagination of Shinji like it is implied in original 25+26. There we are shown the alternative reality, where Asuka is his childhood friend and so on. I think the actual reality is somewhere in between this better world and the apocalypse scenario.

In reality Shinji still has mental issues and thinks that everyone hates him. Probably because of the trauma inflicted by his mother's early death and his father leaving him alone. That is why he flees into his fantasy world where he is needed for piloting the Eva and saving humanity. Good for him that in the plot he made up for this world he laid the seed for overcoming it, the human-instrumentality project.

So the story of Evangelion is basically that of a boy who found a very elaborate way to treat his bonding issues through going through experiencing an adventure in his own fantasy world.

My interpretation of EoE is then that experiment fails and Shinji gets lost in his fantasy and has not longer a grip of reality. He turns mad and has no chance of coming back.

Die you degenerate toiletfag

How boring.

>le it's just a dream
Cliche as fuck.

Well, maybe I just don't find it boring because I have performed similar mental experiments on my own.

It's not a dream. It's real in the way that Shinji faces a real struggle to overcome his anxiety.

There are a few clues, too. Shinji is said to have lived with his teacher after running away from home. In the alternative reality, Misato is his teacher. So, both combined leave us with a familiar scenario: Shinji lives with Misato. And then there is the fact that NERV only picks pilots from Shinji's class. Which seems totally natural considering that Shinji chooses the people he sees everyday to use them as characters in his fantasy world.

Nice interpretation, I like it. I've also thought that shinji goes insane during EoE

>Die you degenerate toiletfag
Rei does not look like a toilet.

Thanks. Probably someone has come up with all that stuff already, but I haven't found anything yet.

My theory goes further that it was the appearance of Rei that triggered all of this in Shinji. In the alternative reality she is an exchange student. Probably Shinji fell in love with her and was totally unprepared for this emotion which he never felt before. That triggered a mental crisis and a retraumatization, because one the one hand he was overwhelmed by emotion, on the other hand became scared that he was now vulnerable to losing her just like he lost his mother (that's how I explain why in Eva, Rei is basically Shinji's mother). Thus his bonding issues and anxiety, that were asleep for years, hit him hard. Also Asuka, as his childhood friend naturally saw a threat in Rei and acted hostile, which let Shinji to the thought that even she now despised him.

what does this mean?

It means that episodes 25 and 26 and EOE are seperate endings.

Everytime until you accept it.
>in response to fans (…) it was decided that there wold be a remake
>that is (…) The End of Evangelion
>the story of Eva would branch into two stories with the diverging point being (…) Episode 24.
>the two stories (…) unfold differently and arrive at their own climaxes
>it is not that one is the complete version
>just like multiple endings of a game
>two different endings (…) for one story

>KT - Yes, it’s finally over. I honestly think it would have been best simply to end it with the TV series. Frankly speaking, I feel that everything after that was a bit of unnecessary work.

>Someone else later asked the old question about if EoE was created as revenge against the fans who hated the TV ending, and Yamaga responded again that the TV ending was planned from the beginning, and everyone at Gainax was satisfied with the ending, but they still wanted to do more Eva when they were finished so they made the movies.
>Yamaga once again stated that episodes 25 and 26 of the series were planned from the beginning and people believe otherwise because fans like making up rumors.

>A few people asked Anno about why he did the final two episodes the way he did, while noting that they felt the ending was confusing. Anno replied, via his translator, that he did not think there was anything wrong with the last two episodes at all and that if we didn’t like the ending of Eva, that was our problem (…) he picked up the microphone and, speaking in English, said “Too bad."

i thought they were connected (the last 2 episodes are happening in shinji's head right?)

the videogame analogy was confusing to use

>Um. Evangelion is my live performance. Since I create it with this sense of it being live, what I'm thinking now, what I'm feeling now, my current mood, all this gets transferred onto film - that was the initial theme, or the theme I had in my mind.

Does this pretty much confirm that EoE was how it was really supposed to end how he intended too, and what we got in the anime was him trying to get as close to his intentional ending wrapping up the same themes, but with a smaller almost non existent budget?

lel anno bringing the bants

No, it means that sort of thinking is bullshit. If it's a "live performance", then whatever he makes first is the valid ending. The rest is just him trying to prettify or change the original performance.

St. Elsewhere? A bit droll.

they took only the pilots from shinji class because they all lost their mom, it was no coincidence, everyting was planned

Well, it's obviously just one possible layer of the story and totally unexclusive. Adding such a new layer doesn't make the upfront plot less "real" or less worthy of interpreting. I just really like the idea that somewhere there is a hidden part of NGE where it's just a highschool love drama in a normal setting with lots of psychological depth to it.

"There are lots of realities, this is only one of them"

TV ending is cheesy as hell self-help "learn to love yourself " power of friendship bullshit and then the penguin says congratulations suck my dick

EoE is basically an hour and a half long meditation on the guilt of masturbation that is in itself heinously masturbatory

which is worse?

huh? how is there a class in which everyone lost his mum? shinji and asuka were only introduced to the class after being chosen and rei never had a mum in the first place? and what about toji's mum, i don't even know.

>EoE is basically an hour and a half long meditation on the guilt of masturbation

kek'd

EOE. I never thought of that as something to damn him for.

That was both a message to Shinji that life is what you make it, and a meta commentary about how it's a fictional story.

>Watching Evangelion, the shit fest that it is.
>Not watching Eureka 7 which is Evangelion if Shinji just nutted the fuck up.

>what is your hand for

watch it again with that in mind and you'll understand

never knew someone could be this shallow

no, contrary to popular belief they had a decent budget to work with, but they couldn't have gotten away with half the shit in EoE in the TV medium because the broadcasters were already up in arms over him having Kaworu die (who, to all intents and purposes, just looks like a 14 year old boy to outsiders and parents, getting brutally murdered by his pal) which they had kept hidden from the broadcasters until the very last moment when it had been stipulated that they couldn't kill any kids (also why Toji survives when he dies in the manga). They would never have gotten away with stuff like Asuka's death after that, so they wrapped up the TV ending the best they could and immediately started planning a theatrical finale. Most of the so-called 'hate mail' was actually letters of extreme admiration for the show. 20 years of rumours has created this whole edgy fictional backstory.

The whole eoe wasnt about jacking it dude. That was just a piece of his guilt was jacking it to coma asuka and more guilt from killing the 1 guy who was an angel plus him being an all around self hating pussy and getting over that was what eoe was about.

Eoe was good because it also wrapped up the ending concerning evas not just shinjis existential dilemma. Still had a pretty bad ending but better than ep 26

but I'm right tho

the ending of eoe is literally visual genius so we disagree there

also think about what instrumentality is
think about the bit where shinji and asuka watch misato fuck ("its just two grown ups licking each others wounds!")
think about the constant visual emphasis on hands
think about one of the shots in the fast montage toward the end of the third impact literally being an upskirt shot of asuka's ass
think about asuka chiding shinji for his jerk-off fantasies in the train sequence

masturbating is a big part of what that film is about

>20 years of rumours has created this whole edgy fictional backstory

Half the shit I hear in these threads involving the production of the show are rumors then.
I thought the death threats were real

B-but Evangelion is bad because muh symbolism has no meaning!!!
How do you argue that ignorance? Death of the Author maybe?

no because barthes' idea was barely consistent anyway

the religious iconography has meaning according to how it is used in its context

with stuff like eoe its difficult to put it into words but you can "feel" it as you watch it

yep
they may have received threats from literally one or two people but that's literally it, nothing out of the ordinary for a show of this size

really its an abstract visual figure used for the abstract emotional purposes of japanese men

There was a ton about sex and going through puberty towards the end of the show.

Hands show affection, and that imagery has been there even in the intros. I really think you're overblowing this all.
Further, I really doubt someone would make this movie to end the series pushing a 'masturbation is bad' theme

I really think shinjis whole depression throughout eoe was caused by many things and mainly his killing of his angel friend not just jacking it. And i think it was bothersome to him spcifically because he jacked it to asuka when shes in a coma

the reason shinji's scene with rei is so cathartic (in my eyes) is because up until that point sex had been a very selfish and onanistic drive in NGE
the beginning with shinji wanking over a completely indifferent, unaware body is the culmination of that
then you have the rei/shinji scene as a kind of resolution
then the ending is a kind of troubled and sobering representation of hatred and indifference but with a bit of affection

i'm sorry I'm definitely right here

I see what you're saying now.

So its more about love then, or letting others in, removing the seflishness? Why did rei and shinji bang i dont get it, then he leaves for the real world and suddenly asuka is the only other person there with him

yeah you got it

rei and shinji only symbolically bang. the emphasis is more on shinji being comfortable and intimate with another human being

the ending with asuka is about facing up to the fact that the actual business of living with other people is far messier and more disgusting

That last bit was a really really good explanation. Thanks for typing all this its been bothering me for awhile

my explanation robs that scene of a lot of its subtlety, though. I love the ending and eoe in general, so the pleasure is all mine friend

post more kaji

Well that's stupid. I always thought they were heavily implying that episodes 25 and 26 take place a bit after Shitji initiates Third Impact. The TV episodes quickly show the aftermath with all the LCL everywhere before the interrogations take place, and EoE keeps everybody's place of death consistent with the TV episodes. Human Instrumentality being rejected doesn't invalidate the TV episodes so I thought it was a clever way to show what happens if HI is rejected. I also thought it made Shinji almost likeable since he knew it was a false paradise so I thought the implication was after he had his mental intervention with everybody he would eventually reject HI in favor of returning to a fucked but real world so he can try and live his life without fear for once.

I can't believe I actually thought they knew what they were doing. What a shit ending - both of them.

She does.

wrong

I can never decide whether I like Rei or Asuka more. I love both of them. What does this mean?

That you're 50% toiletlover and 50% reifag

come to the brighter side, user

Asuka, Rei, and Misato are the holy trinity of waifus.

doesn't the episode 25 preview shows unfinished EOE footage?

Not that I'm aware of, are you thinking about Death and Rebirth?

It's in the DC version if i'm not mistaken.

It's true, user, they showed sketches that were used for EoE during the preview for episode 25 in the TV series. Anno is also the rather unreliable and capricious narrator however, so maybe he just got sick of EVA and wanted to end it like he did too - he did say he has no idea why he started making the Rebuilds at one point

youtube.com/watch?v=Rb17Qt1MdIM

>Asuka
>Girl

Omedeto

Is that you, filenames kun?

Probably not

Those were only added in from the directors cuts, 2 years later from the first airing of the show on TV

>he did say he has no idea why he started making the Rebuilds at one point

I wish he would just leave Eva alone.

wrong

wrong

factually fallible

All the girls are too damage, but Asuka is the cutest of them all. However, I feel bad for the lad who has to put up with her.

I hope its shinji they were cute
He really shouldve just held her when she fell into his bed and not have been such a puss

If Shinji wasn't such a pussy and was charming, maybe. He should have asked Lililth to make him into a chuunibyou.

Fuck off shipper.

ASUKAFAGS SHIP MORE THAN REIFAGS, HERE'S PROOF, SO STOP SPAMMING SHITTY PICTURE

I didnt know this was a thing geez. I finished evangelion 1 day ago

Shippers are generally despised but it ok

Not that user you're responded to but like i mentioned here Asuka due to being "unshippable" would be a bad and violent wife, and is dead last in all time waifus according to google.

Here's that list. All great waifus have shippable, meaning they have people that love them. Asuka has nobody and will remain alone forever and ever.

I liked her and shinjis relationship when shinji would give her attitude back to her and not be a pussy, but that only happened once

I don't see Rei on that list which means Asuka's better