Why are you still watching anime in 720p?

Other urls found in this thread:

anibin.blogspot.com/
diff.pics/delIo1okgxzB/1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

But my monitor is 1080p.

-saves space
-looks literally or almost the same, as most broadcasts are still 720p

Because my internet is shit.

Why not?

>watching upscales

lol

But the human eye can only see in 480p

>watching downscales of upscales

It's fucken cartoons nigga looks pretty much the same in 720 only autists are going to care.

>he doesn't upframe his anime to 60fps

Both of these literally look the same.

>types like a chimp
>thinks people are going to take him seriously

I have a very small monitor.

Is that anibin blog correct?

the human eye can only see up to 30 fps

Maybe if you need glasses.

Because most 1080p anime episodes are upscaled and offer no better quality.

For BD releases you obviously download 1080, but for most TV episodes it's literally just upscaled.

Depends on source
Broadcasts/webrips are only worth 720p
BD resolution depends on the era and source

I download 1080p anyways since I upscale to 4k but on more typical resolutions you can definitely upscale 720p to look nicer than their 1080p releases. MadVR upscaling can be pretty intensive depending on what you're trying to do but obviously it's worth it for the quality.

Wrong.

>they don't know that 720p anime watched on a 1080p LCD screen looks worse than a 1080p upscale

>madshill

>he doesn't watch anime on an OLED screen

>He fell for the LCD meme

>stream rips
>good

Maybe when blurays are out I'll care.

I like to store all my animu and don't want to buy 10 TB HDD to store it all.

>anibin.blogspot.com/
Most anime is entirely 720p with some upscaled and 1080p CGI added. Entirely CGI shows from studios like Polygon are entirely 720p. Kyoani is the only studio I can think of that does full 1080p.

Learn to upscale faggot, there's plenty of guides on mpv and MadVR

There's open source alternatives like mpv.

So my ISP doesn't reach out and saying what the fuck is with these absurd monthly downloads.

I'm not sure what you mean by absurd monthly downloads. Are you living in Australia or something?
Surely you can move 500 GB in a month.

>1080p
Only OP/ED, they use 900p for the rest.

I don't. I only watch Blu-rays and DVDs and LDs n shiet.

Nah I don't have a cap or anything but when I had to speak to the ISP once about some other related issue one of the person mentioned my download data were higher than normal.

Don't want them investigating that shit and finding 5000 torrents from Horriblesubs.

Because it makes no difference in my 720p monitor. And it lags a lot when I watch 1080p for some reason.

>they dont watch their chinese cartoons in letterbox
Plebs.

The ISP has nothing to gain from spying on you on their own initiative.
It's only when a third party gets interested in you that you might get into trouble.

If you're downloading 720p anime that uses CR/HS as a source, you are braindead.

I'm old and can no longer tell the difference anyway. So the faster version that doesn't consume my hard drive is preferred.

Actually, I'll go 1080 if I find it or have time. I just don't always.

I don't neither 1080p, I watch them in 360p on the tube, but soon I will be watching in sweet 4k.

>My shitty CPU doing on the fly bicubic is no different than professionally pre-encoded Lanczos or Spline
You can't be this stupid.

My toaster can't play 1080p smoothly.

I'm not. My Nokia 3310 has a 48p screen.

My eyes are too bad to tell the difference.

>Broadcasts/webrips are only worth 720p
outdated information.

These days you gotta individually on every release if 1080 is better.

>posts link showing that more than half of new series are >720p
>says most anime is entirely 720p
This is the worst post I've seen all month.

720 ??? But i always download 480p

Check your lenses.

Because there's not enough groups out there ripping subs properly from the 720p tv release to BDs.

I watched Bleach R2 and the subs where just painfully worse. Ever since I either remux shit myself or just don't bother. Can't help it if all the raws aren't seeded and groups always pick the Commie subs to put on their BDs.

I do on my phone. It just looks better.

It takes like two minutes to move subs from a 720p file to a 1080p file. Even if the files don't match timing wise, it still takes two minutes to do this with sushi.

>watching anime

>It takes like two minutes to move subs from a 720p file to a 1080p file
It takes much, much more than that. Custom fonts are the worst.

Is this true?

>It takes much, much more than that.
It doesn't unless you're slow.
>Custom fonts are the worst.
Extract fonts with MKVToolNix, install to OS. Takes 20 seconds. Bonus: free fonts!

Where am I getting the raws from? No one ever seeds them. I know how to do it. But it's much harder than you make it out to be. Every single time I've tried I've had issues.
>install to OS
What does this mean?

It is not. Maid Dragon is very clearly full 1080p, the whole episode.

You extract the fonts from the mkv, right click on the files in Windows and select install fonts.
Don't tell me you use Linux as a multimedia Desktop OS.
>no MadVR
>minimal audio processing options

But most anime that anibin reports are 720p look better when you watch them in 1080p. Maybe it's because watching upscaled videos is better than watching upscaled downscaled upscaled videos? The differences varies though. For instance, I can't stand Gundam IBO in 720p, but ACCA in 720p is not annoying to me.

Gaynoo/Linux is prime OS for anime

But that's cheating, installing the fonts will make them play properly on your system, but not on every system. You'll have to attach the ripped fonts to the other file otherwise it's pointless.

Also I use my phone to watch anime because it's my best screen.

>Maybe it's because watching upscaled videos is better than watching upscaled downscaled upscaled videos?
If the 720p source is Horriblesubs, it's because CR and especially Funi are bad at downscaling.
If the 720p source is TV, then the TV source is fucking shit, as is common.

It's not. MadVR > mpv (it's much better at upscaling) and Linux can't do shit with the audio. Windows can do shit with the audio like system-wide equalization, headphone crossfeed through ffdshow audio, virtual surround for headphones through ffdshow audio, etc.
>he doesn't have a PC with a minimum 32" 1080p display as his primary anime watching device
Maximum pleb.

>>he doesn't have a PC with a minimum 32" 1080p display as his primary anime watching device
I do, but my AMOLED phone is still superior to that. To get back on topic. Don't tell me you don't include fonts with your remuxes. When I get a 4k AMOLED 144hz PC monitor I'll start watching my anime on my PC again.

I knew it, Those dragons wont fit in such a measly 720p.

>would rather watch anime on a phone than on a 32"+ display.
That's just really, really weird, even if the phone screen's tech is technically superior.
>Don't tell me you don't include fonts with your remuxes.
I don't, because I don't archive. It's incredibly rare for me to watch a series more than once.

Because 720 videos is smaller that 1080, there fansubs that only release 1080, but Sup Forums is obsessed with 720 releases of Asenshi, Horriblesubs, etc

less to download
but if i want to keep an anime or if one just looks fantastic visually, i'll go 1080p

also every hentai anime i go 1080p

All KyoAni anime at least as far back as Chuu2 have been full 1080p.

>implying
480p master race here

>I don't, because I don't archive. It's incredibly rare for me to watch a series more than once.
Then you get an inaccurate experience. Might as-well not remux if you're only going half-way.
I don't archive either. But at least I don't half-ass it.

>even if the phone screen's tech is technically superior.
Anime simply looks sharper on a smaller screen, that's the memory I keep with me in my head. Also AMOLED handles flashing scenes better. Whereas LCD has worse whites and blacks. Most old anime have obnoxious flashing scenes, which simply look better on AMOLED.
I can't help it, I tasted the forbidden fruit now I can't stop.

>Then you get an inaccurate experience.
No, I don't. I extract and install the fonts before viewing. It's quicker than adding the fonts to the new file and it gives me free fonts.

I don't see the difference, in this picture atleast

The right is very clearly much sharper.

Hmm, I suppose I could also just do that with my android. Still would be an issue with hardsubs and raws though but I get your point.

The right is 1080p?

> clearly

-Because studios only have regular or even smaller budgets than previous years, 1080 is too expensive outside of films. Compare con any western animation, western is cheap but always is native 1080.

If those are both un-resized screenshots, then yes. I'm not OP.
Yes, clearly. I have 20/10 vision and I do not possess a display for ants.

Most anime TV productions are either 720p, 900p, 1080p or a weird resolution inbetween those. The reason you should download 1080p releases instead of 720p releases is that the 1080p version has higher bitrate which leads to a better image quality.

I should really get a better monitor then, I cant see the difference for shit

>not stitching 4 720p videos together

To be fair, it's difficult to see the difference when the points of reference are so far apart from each other.
It would be easier if OP had used one of the usual sites for screenshot comparison.

What's your resolution? The higher the resolution, the harder it will be to tell the two apart. Of course, upscaled to fullscreen there will be a huge difference on 4k monitors.

1080p, but it's a shitty monitor.
And the image runs through an adapter and a shitty cable.

Downloading CR's 720p is pretty retarded considering they suck at downscaling and encoding in general, their 1080p is not good either but it's somewhat better. Netflix's 1080p is decent enough if you use some debanding on playback and Amazon is pretty good though it needs some light debanding sometimes.
Also anime as a whole is slowly turning to 1080p since 2011, Toei produce animation at 900p, KyoAni at 1080p, A-1 and JC staff at 810p, 918p and 1080p, Deen at 873p, ufotable at 855p, IG and WIT at 857p, GoHands at 1080p, and so on.
Basically, there is literally no reason to not download 1080p unless you're on a toaster or the 1080p is bitstarved as fuck and the 720p is way better.

Really all animes need be 1080?

1080 should only for movies or Tv series with incredibly intricate backgrounds. You average isekai or high school anime dont have benefits of 1080.

>the image runs through an adapter
So it's an analog picture instead of HDMI? Pig disgusting if this.

Tell them to fuck off. What you download is none of their business. Unless you're in burgerstan thanks to a recent bill.

nah senpai its VGA out from my motherboard, into a dvi cable into my monitor

>or the 1080p is bitstarved as fuck and the 720p is way better
I have never seen this happen with a Horriblesubs release, for the record, and I've been downloading HS 1080p for years.

Downloading some simple show with no action/visuals on 1080p is a waste of storage.

You keep your HS rips in storage?

Why? Do they start with 1080p and just downscale to 720p again?

>analog out from mobo
>2017

Yes.

This is it, good luck buying it anywhere
or its dva out vga in, dont really know.
Monitor doesnt support HDMI

The way I see it is:
>if you care about 1080p you don't download horriblesubs to begin with

Yes. CR/Funi/Netflix/Amazon/etc. receive anime from the anime studios in 1080p, usually via HDCAM-SR, IIRC. Their 720p releases are thus downscales.
Funimation's downscaling is particularly problematic: diff.pics/delIo1okgxzB/1

That seems quite retarded for shows that are 720p to begin with

I'm not

>shows that are 720p to begin with
But they aren't.
CR gets 1080 files. Even if they were animated at something less than that, they come as 1080p files to CR.