Why did one of the most well directed sequences of the past few years have to be associated with such a garbage show?

Why did one of the most well directed sequences of the past few years have to be associated with such a garbage show?

What was well directed about it?

>garbage show
fuck off baitfag

>one of the most well directed sequences

Name one that was better

Better explain why it was good.

Maybe if they ended the show there and didn't drag it for another cour.

What? It was decent but nothing noteworthy in any stretch of the imagination.

Not OP, but I agree that it was well directed.

>That choice of music
>That pacing as we discover the bodies and the death of everyone while the snow slowly starts to fall.
>That sense of dread as Puck awakens and the distance in which he is shown to emphasize his size, Subaru's tiny presence, and the mistery surrounding it.
>That credits rolling in front of the image at the end after the shocking death.

It is a terrible show mainly because of the MC and the stupid way everything resolves at the end of every arc, but overall it was well directed.

The context makes all of this seem pretentious as hell though. Subaru has no reason to feel despair and neither does the audience. He gets to just keep reloading the previous save until he succeeds. Death has no consequence, in fact it's almost always beneficial to die even if you succeed since you can continue doing so until the timeline is perfect.

If you want to bring out emotion then you have to do so in a way that fits the already established world. Maybe in a different series this scene would have been powerful but that's simply not the case. In this series the scene but raise a bunch of questions that were ultimately never answered beyond "it's magic, ain't gotta explain shit".

Another edgy episode, where everybody dies in a horrible way, and the show expects me to care (it's a time travel show, so death means nothing, except cheap shock factor). I dont get the hype for episode 15. It was annoying at best.

Are you autistic? He just saw one of his best friends get horribly tortured and killed and then found the mansion a horrible wasteland. Of course he's going to be sad, even if he can reset it. He's not a robot.

>shocking death
None of the deaths in this show were shocking, the whole gimmick is that it doesn't matter

I don't know how it's possible to miss the point of re:zero but apparentely it is.

>He just saw one of his best friends get horribly tortured and killed and then found the mansion a horrible wasteland.
After 2345 times only thing you might be able to feel is anger.

>Re;zero had a point
Hahhaha, okay, i'll bite. What was the point of Re;zero?

It's true that the resurection mechanic of the show takes some of the impact away knowing that everything is going to be reset. But my point was that it is well directed so, despite the various moments of shitty writing on Re: Zero, I cannot object with OP claims.

I can't believe that I have to explain this. It isn't about being sad that so and so character is dead. The point is watching how Subaru's mental state and view of himself changes as he experiences these tragic events over and over without being able to stop them. The payoff is when he changes enough to avoid his previous mistakes and find a way to rescue his friends. The deaths themselves aren't the point.

Any scene from Acca's episode 08.

And how does it nullify the fact that all deaths do feel cheap?

You get to watch them multiple times

It's like buying twice as many eggs because they're cheaper

I wish Canadian posters would be globally banned

Your kind is the worst.

Because it's irrelevant?

>Everything goes horribly wrong for Subru. Everyone and their mom gets mutilated in a edgy as fuck way, nobody listens to him. Every new character acts like an asshole. Subaru dies in a edgy way.
>Subaru resets and does everything perfectly. He is now immune to dangerous situations, and can pull off shit that would have killed him in the previous try. Everybody listens to him. Every new character turns out to be a really nice and reasonable people. They defeat the baddie.
>Everything goes horribly wrong for Subru. Everyone and their mom gets mutilated in a edgy as fuck way, nobody listens to him. Every new character acts like an asshole. Subaru dies in a edgy way.
>Subaru resets and does everything perfectly. He is now immune to dangerous situations, and can pull off shit that would have killed him in the previous try. Everybody listens to him. Every new character turns out to be a really nice and reasonable people. They defeat the baddie.
This is the whole show.

Imagine if Guts from berserk had time resets.
>Saves Griffith.
>Eclipse happens.
>All of his friends die in a horrible way and guts gets mutilated.
>Guts resets.
>Doesn't save Griffith.
>Continues to travel with his band of friends.
>No consequences at all.
Only pussies use the time reset trope, when writing a story.

That's the POINT of the show bitch nigger.

>only pussies use the time reset trope

Do you even know what a trope is? How can it be a fucking trope when the show is based on it? Are you mentally dumb as fuck or something? Jesus Christ, the amount of faggot cunts I see on this board honestly make me contemplate suicide more than twice a day. TWICE. Fuck you, you god damn fuck boy.

The whole concept of the show is time reset.

Being mad that their aren't permanent deaths in re:zero is like being mad that there aren't wacky SoL antics in The Godfather

>when you pretend you're a professional critic but you just retort words you saw in youtube videos

wew my lad

user, he's obviously shit posting and the fact that you're taking him serious makes you even dumber than him.

>The whole concept of the show is time reset.
Yeah, and the show sucks.

>honestly make me contemplate suicide more than twice a day.
Just do it.

Fuck off, everyone here knows your end game.

Shit posters are NOT welcome to Sup Forums anymore. Go back to Sup Forums fag.

>show sucks :^(((
>gave up and resorted to shitposting
How sad

I am not shitposting. I really do consider Re;zero to be a terrible anime, and it's salty fandom doesn't help it's case.

>not shit posting
haha sure thing my dude

>salty fandom

I'm not part of the fandom, I consider this show "pretty ok" at best. What I can't stand is people like you who consider this show terrible. It's absolutely insulting because there are genuinely terrible anime out there and you think it's fine to pair this "pretty ok" show with them.

Re;zero has everything that is wrong with anime these days.
>It's an isekai that works on videogame mechanics.
>It's a LN adaptation.
>It's edgy and full of shock factor, so the casuals think it is deep and mature.
>It's about time resets, which is almost never done right.
>It's about your avarage snarky otaku, saving waifus.
And add the fact that the characters are inconsistent, unlikeable and the story is lackluster, and you have a huge clusterfuck that casuals praise, because it's an edgy isekai, about a snarky otaku, who saves waifus with the power of time resets.

Video game mechanics??

It was adequate but I hesitate to call it good or anything.

To be fair, Return from Death is obviously a video game mechanic considering there's check points. However, he's still an idiot.

>He doesn't like the show i like, so he is an idiot.

I don't like Re:Zero and I also think you're an idiot.

>What I can't stand is people like you who consider this show terrible.
I am going to call Re:Zero terrible every day just to make you upset.

This, I'm absolutely baffled everytime anyone tries to pretend that this show is unironically deep and complex. It's the same people praising garbage like Psycho-Pass or Gargantia while bashing actually clever shows like Shinsekei yori because it has a gay scene in it.

Why?

The way you conduct yourself makes you look stupid

Jokes on you, i dropped SSY because of that gay scene.

Oh no, he said it's "terrible" despite not being literally a 2/10, what a dumbo!

Ever heard of fucking hyperbole you spastic?

I thought it was a 5/10 myself, user.

So pointing out stupid/flawed things about a show, makes me look stupid?

That's not what I said

>all these guys going "n-no I don't like the show I swear but really people disliking or criticising it are fucking assholes!"

I gave it a 3/10.

There were a few scenes that i liked, but it pissed me off more than it pleased me.

It's his shit posting and composure that make him look like a nigger, not his opinions.

You are stupid because you post stuff like this, not because you don't like the show

He said nothing wrong you mongoloids.

Stop talking about yourself in third person

Nice try but not everyone in here is a samefag.

All me

I agree with the whole post. Honestly, even i could have written it better than it is now.

Are we talking about the time where he was pretending to be retarded only to snap out of it when its convenient and then feel sad because everything happening is his fault?

My thoughts exactly... great post user

It's solid for a show made for young adults but you have no idea what actually good directing looks like.

I wouldn't say the show was garbage but I don't think that it was really as great as everyone was making it to be. I mean the only real emotion you could feel after fucking up a timeline would be anger for your mistake. Anyone getting hurt wouldn't actually exist since you could just reset. I feel like the show was victim of its own setting. There was 0 suspense in any scenes. I had 0 emotional reaction except maybe laughing to any "tragic" scene because I knew in the next 5~10 minutes fucking toyota would just reset and move on.

Don't even get me started on that scene with rem professing her love for honda with the flying doves that was the cheesiest shit I've ever seen it was actually hilarious. The show was entertaining but it really felt like babbies first edge show only due to the overtly gruesome deaths which had 0 consequence

Garbage show, but no doubt that was well directed.

It's weird how you can write so many words and say absolutely nothing of value.

I don't understand this meme with death on re: zero having no impact/consequence because of the reset factor.

>The scent of the witch on him gets stronger everytime he respawns which increases the chance of attracting unwanted attention from those who can smell it

>He has absolutely ZERO control over what point in time he respawns to, which means everytime he fucks up and dies, could be his final chance to do things right.

The second point is crucial, because it's not like in edge of tomorrow where the reset was fixed and taken for granted.

Throw the salt, kouhai!

Wow you just keep going

1 doesn't matter because since they would never put him in a impossible situation so he could die a thousand times. It would just be "impossible" until he uses his brain which was half of an episode.

2. All he has to do is die 1 time then he knows at what point he spawns. so all it requires is 1 fuck up and at a point in the story he should just figure he's not going to get everything on the first fucking try and if a viewer thinks he'll get it on first try then I don't know what show they're watching because it definitely isn't this one.

This.

The scene where Subaru break's down crying to Emilia who doesn't understand why but just accepts that he is troubled shows this perfectly

>>The scent of the witch on him gets stronger everytime he respawns which increases the chance of attracting unwanted attention from those who can smell it
Yet he mostly uses it to his advantage.
>>He has absolutely ZERO control over what point in time he respawns to, which means everytime he fucks up and dies, could be his final chance to do things right.
But he is the MC, and the things always work out for him. Like in that episode where he figured out that he might not have unlimited resets, and in the end of the episode he kills himself. He almost always respawns in a good time, and the possibility of dying for real is rarely brought up.
>The second point is crucial, because it's not like in edge of tomorrow where the reset was fixed and taken for granted.
Yet edge of tomorrow did time resets better. Subaru usually dies once, when everything is going to hell for him, but on his second try, he is near immortal (he pulls of shit that would kill him instantly and just walks it off) and super smart, by knowing exactly what to do in order to win. Meanwhile in edge of tommorow, it was all baby steps. The amount of times the MC had to die, in order to memorize every single event and time them perfectly, showed the full potential of a reset scenario. The best part was, when he stopped saving the other guys, since seeing them die so many times, left him cold. Also the editing was brilliant it didn't show every reset, but you could tell that some of the fight scenes were actually a montage of him learning, with the death scenes cut out.

Oh, we hate this now?

>seeing other people die means death doesn't bother you anymore
Why does torture bother people? They do know it's designed specifically not to kill them, right?
Prisoners do know they can't drown when being waterboarded, right? What's the big deal?

Is this an Aldnoah: Zero reference?

>The context makes all of this seem pretentious as hell though. Subaru has no reason to feel despair and neither does the audience. He gets to just keep reloading the previous save until he succeeds. Death has no consequence, in fact it's almost always beneficial to die even if you succeed since you can continue doing so until the timeline is perfect.

Guy, you can become traumatized to the point of entering a catatonic state, or at the very least get PTSD from those experiences.

Soldiers go through this all the time coming home.

And this is the one thing I appreciated about this show, the psychological toll taken on the MC.

First of all torture causes severe mental effects even without physical damage, and extreme pain can cause people to kill for painkillers, Subaru experiences it very regularly.

Also, the mechanisms of reset are never fully explained, its later explicitly stated that it could be a multiverse system, and the only resetting Subaru is doing, is abandoning the old world.

Also, Subaru cannot treat the death of others lightly just because he has reset, because that severs all possibility of emotional connections, which will drive anyone mad over time.

its a contrarian thread

>I'm mad that this show isn't a completely different show with a different concept

>now

Seeing people die over and over again, while knowing that you will see everyone again soon, and they will all be fine, would leave anyone cold towards the death. Hell, after seeing my best friend get killed five times in a row, I would both pity the guy for his bad luck, and envy him because his past self does not know about any of the shit he went through. Death is a lot scarier when you know that it's the end. Hell, this whole scene would have been epic, if all of the characters who died, were dead for good.

Why does this show have to be so damn edgy? Does it think that the only way the audience will sympathize with the mc, is if the mc gets killed in the most over the top ways possible? The simple fear of the concept of death, is scary as fuck, but subaru is more afraid of being tortured and mutilated, then he is about dying.

I look forward to whatever white fox makes next.

A story being dark sometimes isn't a bad thing. Stick to SoL if you can't stand blood.

>First of all torture causes severe mental effects even without physical damage, and extreme pain can cause people to kill for painkillers, Subaru experiences it very regularly. Seeing people die over and over again, should leave him cold or motivate him to do better next time. Also, he always has a single big freakout, but after sleeping in the lap of a waifu, he is back to normal.
Because he is dense. He never looses anyone permanently.
>Also, the mechanisms of reset are never fully explained, its later explicitly stated that it could be a multiverse system, and the only resetting Subaru is doing, is abandoning the old world.
Which makes it even worse since multiverse time traveling is meaningless. You save one timeline and everything worked out great. But there are a shit ton of timelines, where you fucked up and everyone either died, or is really unhappy. And thus, you accomplished nothing, and every single thing you do is meaningless.
>Also, Subaru cannot treat the death of others lightly just because he has reset, because that severs all possibility of emotional connections, which will drive anyone mad over time.
Yet every time he resets, his relationships stay the same, since he formed them before every new save point. Thus he never has to worry about compromising his relationships. In other words, nothing of value is ever lost.

>all he has to do is die one time

But that's just it. He doesn't casually off himself when things go slightly wrong for a do over because he can't take for granted that he'll start over from the same point. Whitefox had a chance to drive this point home in the final ep, had they extended it another 10-15 mins or so, but they pussied out.

>Uses the scent to his advantange

Yes, after being murdered multiple times and almost mauled to death.

>But he is the MC and things always work out

Like I said to the previous user, whitefox had a chance to squash that notion in the final ep had they adapted a little more material and went beyond where it stopped but they pussied out.

>Is basically superman on his second try

>Dies twice against elsa and in the third loop gets his ass beat & barely survives the third attempt because he happened to befriend a knight while he was being robbed earlier
>Dies at least 4 times in the mansion before figuring out who had cursed him, and again barely survives the mabeasts because of rem, ram and the clown
>Dies 3 times going back to the mansion and is only able to convince crusch and the others by learning from how poorly he was treated when he asked for help the first time
>Edge of tommorow did resets better
Yea, but in EoT the differences were
>He has someone to talk to who can explain what's going on and help him. Subaru doesn't.
>He knows he has (nigh) infinite loops at a fixed point that he can take for granted if he fucks up. Toyota doesn't know how many chances he gets for each particular loop.

>Kememe friends

So torture shouldn't work on anyone, because they know that it'll be over eventually and they'll be physically fine in a few days if not sooner.

A show can go dark, without a single drop of blood. That's subtlety, something that the author of re zero has never heard of. It's not that I can't stand blood, it's that I just can't take unironic edge seriously. To me it comes off as forced and funny. All of the villains were painful to watch, because they were the most edgelord stereotypes out there. All of the deaths were over the top slaughterfests. And the show expected me to take it seriously.
But I can't take subarus deaths seriously, if they are all just drawn out and over the top, torture scenes. I liked the one where he died in his sleep, the most, since it was actually spooky, and I wish the deaths were more low key (like getting stabbed, blunt instrument to the head, shot by magic etc.)

No, torture should not work on an individual, who knows that he can regenerate, and that in an hour, it will be like the torture never even happened.

>The context makes all of this seem pretentious as hell though
>pretentious
InigoMontoya.png

>He never has to worry about compromising his relationships

Except that a significant portion of his relationship development happens without any planning by him.

For example, in the first loop, after hanging out together for most of the day, the girl introduces herself as satella. In the second loop, she got pissed when he called her by that name.

Also, in the mansion, nissan has a bit of a breakdown and emilia lets him use her lap as a pillow. Because of that, and her insistence, rem went with subaru to the mabeast forest. The events there and the following day completely changed rem's attitude towards him.

Now suppose subaru died in the forest and reset in the mansion. He would already know that the puppy was spreading the curse and the whole bit with the lap pillow and rem going berserk and subsequently falling in love wouldn't have happened.

"Edge" isn't a criticism, it's just a meaningless buzzword.

Also literally none of his deaths after episode 9 were even bloody. The only deaths that were really drawn out were the first two and the time Rem kills him.

>>Is basically superman on his second try
I meant on his good run. Once a good loop starts, he becomes a superman until it's time for the story to fuck him over again. But during that good run, everything goes well for him. Assholes become his friends, nobody dies. He doesn't die, and even pulls off some superhuman feats. And he manages to complete the task, perfectly. Most notably in the arcs with the dogs and the whale. I counted at least 5 times in both arcs, where shit wrong and he should have died, and come back with the knowledge. But because it is a good loop, no matter how bad things get, he still figures everything out and makes it out alive.

Not that user but
Except they get tortured again and again until they figure out how to stop the situation entirely.

>First arc he has to continually reestablish his relationship with Emilia and his inability to get the connection right dicks him over
>Second arc he has to learn about Rem and Ram separately in different cycles
>Third arc is the first time his return by death doesn't reset his relationships, and this is a major detriment to his psychological well being since he just fucked up right at the save point
Your argument reads like you haven't even watched the show. The only time he's able to completely work everything out after one death is the very last one, because he had full knowledge of his opponents abilities by then.

Let's replace the term "edge" with "needlessly and unrealistically, forced, gory an over the top violence". Now it is not a buzzword anymore, and it becomes a valid criticism.

After he finishes buildimg a relationship with emilia, rem and ram, those relationships are never affected by the resets, since the moment they become close is always before his latest save point. I specifically watched for that, hoping to see him start all over again, after every death. But nope. Every time he wakes up, he has rem, ram and emilia, waiting for him. I never got the feeling that all the hard earned progress was hopelessly lost.

>"Edge" isn't a criticism, it's just a meaningless buzzword.
That's not true. It's just something the edgelords force you to believe, so you can't criticize their beloved shows like tokyo ghoul, elfen lied and mirai nikki.

Fuck all of you faggots for bumping a Re:Zero thread this much.

>Assholes become friends
In the case of rem, she changed her mind about him after he happened to risk his life fighting the mabeasts. She wouldn't have even gone with him without emelia's insistence after his mini-breakdown on her lap pillow. It's not as if he had a formula to get inside her heart.

In the case of julian, it was more or less a realization about how pig-headed he was, which was shown in the rooftop ep. Julian was annoyed but never really hated him, since he even explained to reinhardt that he beat up mitsubishi to prevent the other knights from murdering him.

In both cases, these turnarounds happened in great part due to subaru's mental state after the previous loops. They weren't asspulls.

>Successful loops are perfect
Eh, the twins and subaru almost died in the forest, lots of people died/disappeared in the successful white whale loop and subaru isn't the type to throw his life away at a chance at reset, since he doesn't know the rules, or when he'd respawn.

He builds a relationship with emilia twice before it 'stuck'

He builds a relationship with the twins multiple times (at least he thought so) until it 'stuck'