Just got back from an early screening of the live action ghost in the shell movie

It's Robocop.
It's Robocop with a cyberpunk re-skin and some homages to famous GitS scenes.

(Spoilers hidden out of courtesy)
The major was a teenage runaway who wrote luddite manifestos.
She and her friends got kidnapped en mass by Hanka.
They killed 96 of them in experiments to perfect the major.
They wiped her memory; tell her she and her parents were refugees on a boat that got attacked by terrorists.
She meets Kuze, who was one of the failed experiments, and talks like a retard as a result.
He tells her everything; she confronts her doctor about it; get's captured.
Said doctor is ordered by Hanka president or whatever to kill the major and make another, but she betrays Hanka at the last second to help the major escape; dies.
Major learns stuff about her past; teams up with Kuze in final confrontation with spider tank; wins.
Kuze gets sniped from a Hanka helicoptor, but the major survives after Saito shoots it down.
Aramaki confronts Hanka president, asks the major if he should kill him; major says yes, he does.

If you really want to see this film, I implore you to do so illegally.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ghost_in_the_Shell_characters#Laughing_Man
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pitt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>giving the Major a deep backstory, exploring it fully
Fucking up at step one

Are there tits in it?

if its robocop who is clarance boddicker?

No, actually, not even during the shelling sequence. I'm not even sure if her thermoptic suit is a suit or if it's supposed to be her skin.

Closest I can think of is Kuze.
I guess it would be like if Boddicker teamed up with Robocop after telling him the truth of his origins.

did the laughing man logo ever show up

The phrase "Laughing Man" is never said even once.

who is this even made for

this came out ten years too late

Some early info had Kuze going by the name Laughing Man and being the leader of a terrorist group.

So basically we're get the self perpetuating Hollywood loop of fucking up and then never trying again because it didn't sell.

WOW. I almost caved, user. I almost Caved....Jeez i kew this was Ghost in The Shell in name only. Fuck this movie.

were there any tits in it

I'm actually kinda worried this is going to be a success simply because of how flashy it is.

Well there always Battle Angel. I mean did anyone expect this to be good?

jesus fucking christ i had no idea
i hope that one doesn't get made

Already halfway done and releasing next year. Here's Alita

why is this happening
don't they still have more 80's comics and cartoons to reboot

It's by James Cameron at least.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ghost_in_the_Shell_characters#Laughing_Man
>Michael Pitt will portray the character in the live action adaptation.
I'm confused.

Oh god no you're right that would be worse.

It would be the continuation of suits in board rooms taking franchises, ripping out the unique stories and bastardizing them into generic Hollywood scripts with a theme. Just like what they did with the new StarTrek movies.

test

>we learned from the producers and cast of the movie that Ghost in the Shell is going to do its own riff on a villain story
>it seems as though this version of Kuze will draw from elements of all three of those villains, though.
Oh.

What about The Puppeteer or Puppetmaster?

Exactly what I thinking.

I'm finding comfort in that the 3rd Trek movie wasn't that bad (or at the very least had a different director).

Why does Batou have eyes in the trailer, then cyber eyes in later parts?

Neither phrase appears in the movie, although Kuze brain hacks a bunch of people.

as a writer, so it means jack shit

He loses them early on in an explosion.
somehow.

He then gets replacements.

>best new trek movie
>under performs at the Box Office

It's for people who have not seen GITS and have no interest in it.

This sounds pretty good. I don't get what the big deal is.

the article cited there is weird probably we should fix the wiki.

According to here, Pitt plays Kuze.

I find it funny that the laughing man and kuze's actors are. . . .interchangeable? They have similarities, ok, but like, gosh.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pitt

*sigh*

Thanks OP, my hopes were, slowly evaporating, but I appreciate to hear that it is exactly what I expected.

Do we get to see togusa?

Why does this keep happening? Why do they keep turning beloved series into garbage?
Why? They pour so much money into shit like this and it stills turns out shitty.
WHY
STOP

You know how ARISE was shat on for not being on par with the rest of franchise story-wise eventhough it's a good anime on itself? Well, this is through the floor bad with story and is a movie full of 3dpd. Sup Forums has every right to bury it in manure.

>who is this even made for
people who never saw GitS

this is pretty much every adaptation of anything these days, they just pick a name that's known and then make up their own story. apparently just slapping a name people have heard before onto your generic (insert genre here) movie is profitable enough that they're going to keep doing it forever

Glad to help.

Yes, Togusa is present and has some speaking lines (one of which sounded vaguely discriminatory against cyborgs.

He uses a Rhino 60DS instead of a Mateba for some reason.

>best new trek movie

I almost debated this, then I realized that although it is, in my view, terrible, it probably manages to nab the title of best nevertheless.

Kuze wasnt the villain though. . . he was just caught up in the same mess as everyone really. 2nd Gig's main villains were more like, Goda and the Cabinet Secretary, Kuze being on a third party which began as an apparent enemy and by the end was clearly on the same side as Section 9, at least for the main conflict.

So, is the movie enjoyable or not?

>muh Kaczynski references lmao

>Aramaki
>killing anyone

probably cause matebas are raritys and rhinos are currently being made

>If you really want to see this film, I implore you to do so illegally.
Nah, I'll just see it in the theater tomorrow.

That's even worse.

Yeah.

Y'know, the whole whitewashing thing aside (which the Japanese people don't even find offensive because they're more open minded than us silly Americans), explaining and exploring the Major's past in full is pretty stupid in itself. It's SUPPOSED to be mysterious and the movie didn't understand that.

Hopefully Death Note is better; again, whitewashing and "set in America" aside, that story is supposed to be about the human psyche and "should man be allowed to play God." If they screw THAT up, well...

Worse than I thought, please bomb

I hated it, but I'm also a fan of the original.

Jesus.

So.

Much.

This.

It was just a glance, but twitter seems to be up in arms over the fact that in the film, they literally turned a Japanese girl into a white woman.

What like him personally or on his command?

>Wasting money on shit
Why don't you see the SAO movie too, while you're at it.

>explaining and exploring the Major's past in full is pretty stupid in itself.
honestly with these types of adaptations, I don't think it's even a misunderstanding. I don't think an attempt to understand even occurs.
these kinds of movies, it's like they view the source material as a box of special legos pieces. they grab whichever bits they think look neat, grab a handful of generic legos, and just assemble something out of it.

>should man be allowed to play God
Holy shit, there's someone else that gets the true theme behind Death Note :o. Btw, this was also ruined in the anime when Light was portrayed as overly criminalistic.

Aramaki actually gets in a gun fight with 3 assassins.
He kills 2, incapacitates the 3rd, tells him Hanka should underestimate him, then kills him. The footage of him taking the final shot was one of the 5 second sneak peaks they released earlier.

>but twitter seems to be up in arms over the fact that in the film, they literally turned a Japanese girl into a white woman.
I haven't seen the movie but aren't the ones who did that in this version THE BAD GUYS?

reminds me of when christian fundamentalists were attacking harry potter by referencing shit THE EVIL WIZARDS were doing.

Yeah, I noticed.

The Japanese people really don't have a problem with it, from what I've seen and read; they're like "well the Major looks Caucasian so what's the problem?" Of course their live action movies cast Caucasian characters in anime with Japanese actors (see Black Butler and Fullmetal Alchemist) so in my view, they're pretty laid back about the whole thing.

Not justifying whitewashing in general because there's NO justifying John Wayne as Ghengis Kahn. But think about that right there. Ghengis Kahn was a real, historical figure. The Major? A fictional character. It's bullshit that the Duke would play a real life Asian person, but is it bullshit that ScarJo would play an anime character?

Just something to put into perspective.

>Holy shit, there's someone else that gets the true theme behind Death Note
EVERYONE knows this is the theme of death note

Well, he kills people, or he knowingly has people killed, but when didd he actually hold a gun and kill someone? He's always on the side, in the background, at the base, giving orders.

At least the way OP said it, it sounds like he personally kills someone.

ehh, that irked me, mildly, mostly because its in the context of hollywood, where such things are common. Being the major its plausible that you could say, well, she's japanese, but the face and everything is changed. . .buuuut like, hollywood has a habit of whitewashing.

Were this film in a vacuum, I wouldnt fault them, but its not in a vacuum, and this is part of a larger trend.

O_O

The man who created the manga itself had no issue with it.

Not people who haven't read the manga.

Cameron's been wanting to do Alita since Titanic

>It's Robocop with a cyberpunk re-skin
Ummm

I swear I'm not making this up.

He says "Don't send rabbits to hunt a fox."*bang*

It's fucking hollywood, they can get one, make a mould and fill a whole warehouse with Mateba replicas.

nop, Robert Rodriguez

should have been clearer.

It's Robocop re-skinned with what hollywood producers think cyberpunk looks like.
In other words Blade Runner.

Both. He's the man that almost never resorts to violence, unlike most Section 9 members. He finds a way to fix shit bureaucratically, and it's not possible, as peacefully as possible.
Although that's spread all over the SAC, watch the London episode from SAC and the first couple of episode from SAC 2nd GIG to remind yourself, since those are centered on him. The London episode in particular is what sold Aramaki to me. He may look like a wrinkly old man, but he's the shrewdest son of a bitch. He finds himself in a hostage situation, but manages to turn things around by (believably) convincing the criminals to give up. The police surrounds the building and they (Aramaki, his acquintance, and the thieves) last it out. \
He never hands the thieves over to the police, but manages to give them one hell of a lesson.

Wrong board.

I know what you mean, but I felt like being pedantic.

All in all, I was kind of expecting worse from this movie compared to what you've said. I still would have liked it to be more Zodiac rather than nu-nu-Robocop

>O_O
>:o
Fuck off.

When's the 3rd Oshii movie coming out

Are you fucking 12? Who the hell gets triggered over smileys?

Sup Forums

if you really want to rustle their jimmies try using asterisks to indication an action.

*hits submit*

Means a lot actually. Its the only reason I have hope in Alita film. Robert Rodriguez is hit or miss. In a perfect world George Miller would be directing Battle Angel

After Innocence, the film that hospitalized more than one animator failed to win a Cannes Lion?

>Sounds pretty good

Not for Ghost in the Shell it doesn't but people will defend anything

To be fair it is kinda bullshit but I don't care if the Japs don't got a problem with it; they're xenophobic and retarded about other cultures to begin with. Let's just be honest.

That said, with the Major, considering how her body may or may not look like her original at all, I'm okay with the casting. That said, the only reason I'm on the fence about it at all is because I know that's not what the Execs were even considering when they cast this shit.

I'm more frustrated with the fact that the movie looks like it's going to be all flash and no substance.

You know he most likely just agreed to it because he wanted the money and is probably a fan of ScarJo, right?

looks the part desu

Really, that's what an adapted anime will end up being. Can't make the story without copious amounts of CGI and explosions.

OP, how was the soundtrack? Was it Marvel-tier unnoticeable, or was it loud as fuck and filled with wubstep?

>Transracialphobia

I was making a list of other miscellaneous I'm recalling off the top of my head, and I just closed the reply window by accident.

>Which Japanese people don't even find offensive

Based on the three people interviewed, naturally they represent all Japanese people

I'm more interested, is there any hint of blatant liberal propaganda, like in the recent sleu of movies?

>twitter seems to be up in arms over the fact that in the film, they literally turned a Japanese girl into a white woman.
L got turned into a nigger, but nobody is up in arms about it.

All flash and no substance describes this film pretty well.

Wouldn't it be the same issue if he picked someone he doesn't like over someone he does like just because the actress he likes is white?

And like he said the Major gets a new man-made body in both adaptations, doesn't necessarily have to be asian.

A lot of people were up in arms, some racist some who just like their adaptations faithful.

No side is free of reactionary loudmouth idiots my friend.

The latter.
There was a video of the movie's shelling sequence that had a new track from Kawai Kenji, but this song was used during the credits.

The actual music during the sequence is very subdued.

ehh, but ideally you'd have the explosions and cgi, and retain the, erm, the story.

Do you really think he picked ScarJo? They wanted a big name actress for the role because that's the only way they could get normies interested.

If they explained the Major being white as that then whatever, but they also make all the other characters white (or at least the majority of them) and that's pretty shitty.

Ask Sup Forums

What's funny is I had no problem with Edge of Tomorrow, but that may be because the original manga and LN were shit to begin with. And it somehow made Tom Cruise tolerable

I really doubt this is going to be a full-on adaptation of Death Note considering it's a fucking movie. It's likely a loose adaptation. I don't care about black L or white ...Misa Misa, I guess?

My main beef is that Light looks like he's going to shoot up a mid-west school. The dude looks too unhinged and sleep-deprived, even if he's not 'Light' as we know him from the manga.

The final scene had the major going on about "the importance of keeping one's humanity" or something. Not really sure what she was referring to.

Black people are more "oppressed" than Asians. Naturally, Twitter thinks it's great and progressive. I can't say I care that much, at least they didn't make him a fat black woman.

Because most aren't faggots who care about Deathnote, like you

You can't easily adapt the story in many cases though, so you either butcher the old one or make a new one out of bits and pieces.
What you end up with is a lot of flash and very little of the original plot.

Shirow had nothing to do with this film.