First time Evangelion

I have to admit. I just watched Neon genisis Evangelion for the first time. I should have done so years ago. But what the fuck did i just watch?

I went in without any spoilers, except the obvious "oh shit shinji jerked it to asukas body" and the fucking anime "congratulation" ending. Both without context though.

I thought the movie "the end of evangelion" would answer some questions, but it really did not.
So, here are some questions.

1: What did SEELE want to achieve? The third impact? destruction of human kind? exactly what happened in the movie?

2: what even is the second impact? they talked about god, and trying to copy god, which led to the second impact.

3: on the other hand, what was Gendo Ikari goal? The thing that happened in the anime, where every person seems to create their own new reality, how they want it to be?

4: what was this adam thing under their base anyways? why did they call it adam at first, but Lilith later?

5: what was the goal of the angels? if them touching adam really started the third impact, why didn't they just let it happen?

6: WHY THE FUCK WAS THERE A FUCKING PENGUIN?

7: what is the lance of longius anyways?

8: what about the dead sea scroll? is it ever explained? or is it just some plot device?

9: how do the first to x-th children get chosen anyway? is it just unexplained?

10: i mean, what the fuck was the end of "the end of evangelion"?

That are just some more or less basic questions. i am very late to the whole evangelion thing, so please be gentle.

Alright I'll take a shot at this

>1. Steele wanted everything to be ONE so they would pretty much be immortal and not feel any more suffering
>2. This is stated at the beginning but it's the original angel exploding in Antarica started "Day after Tomorrow" fucking up and flooding most of the world
>4. He just wanted his wife back that's inside Unit 01 and needed to become God to do it. This was stated a few times
>4/5. Another user will probably explain this
>6. It was supposed to be a mascot and comic relief or something. It's the only thing in this franchise that didn't take off.
>7. Ancient Relic or something
>8. It's based off a real world thing and just added to add connections to the world
>9. They need to have mother's soul and born after Second Impact. Because Dead Sea Scrolls said so
>10. Anno's depression that took on manifestation where he could kill kids because it wasn't on television

Hoped this helps a bit.

I have a question for you:

who is best girl

Forgot pic

Also a second question.

Which did you prefer the TV show's end or EoE?

Thanks for your answers.

Rei is best girl. But i have a thing for anime girls like that. Yuki Nagato from haruhi suzumiya comes to mind. So i am quite biased on that front.

The TV end is much easier to understand. It makes sense, for what it's worth. From what i understand, every person can live in his own perfect world, i guess. The whole "congratulations" scene was really shit though. Like a bad videogame ending.
The EoE end was more entertaining, but i was a bit lost once Rei became the angel ghost thing and shinji was busy becoming god or something.

>WHY THE FUCK WAS THERE A FUCKING PENGUIN?

He's an angel.

>What did SEELE want to achieve?
Human hive mind
>what even is the second impact?
Impacts are global scale catastrophes triggered Adam & Lillith
>what was Gendo Ikari goal?
Get his waifu back
> what was this adam thing under their base anyways?
It was Lillith, they called it adam as a form of misdirection.
> what was the goal of the angels?
Take their planet back
>WHY THE FUCK WAS THERE A FUCKING PENGUIN?
Penguins are cute, so misato took him in once his research purposes were over.
>what is the lance of longius anyways?
the most powerful weapon in Eva capable of killing even the 'gods' if they ever come across each other as they did here.
>what about the dead sea scroll?
they're the user's manual for the moons and their contents
>how do the first to x-th children get chosen anyway?
The school is a pool of candidates, generally orphaned manipulable.
>what the fuck was the end of "the end of evangelion"?
The end of the story duh.

>It's the only thing in this franchise that didn't take off.
Of course he didn't penguins don't fly.
Also, blasphemy. Everybody loves PenPen

>TV show's end or EoE?
they're the same thing

Reminder that poor Asuka gets NTR'd by Kaworu, oh and she grows YUGE tits.

Not canon.

Prove it.

OP if you want to try and understand the plot your best bet is probably to go on the evageeks wiki and forums and look up whatever it is you want to know.

No they present the same message in a very different way

Can't get NTR'd if you're dead

>Referencing Rebuild/Anima/Retake/Headcanon when talking about NGE
How disgusting

Its offical manga, though. No headcanon. Especially since Anno is using alot of plot elements from ANIMA.

>evageeks
>to understand eva
Yeah, no.

Didn't Shinji ditch being Asuka's boyfriend for Kaworu when he found out he's Kaworu's soulmate? Asuka is NTR'd!

It's official fanfiction. NGE is the only thing that counts.

Baumkuchen

>the author who writes cannon is getting events from a non cannon source making it cannon

I feel like I got a migraine from reading that shitposting or not

As with anything, always retain a healthy skepticism.

Not anymore, Rebuild is a remake of the "true" evangelion story with a bigger budget. You must give in and accept this truth! You know you want to!

I print Rebuild scripts and wipe my ass with them. It's the only way Rebuild would have served a purpose.

What are your thoughts on Asuka OP? I can already see you're a Reifag

This thread is already going downhill like every Eva thread. I'm just curious

Reminder that Asuka is the only canon winner of Shinjibowl

OP here. Asuka is a fucking bitch. I get it, her mother died, she saw her hanging from the ceiling and all that shit. Difficult childhood or whatever. But she is being a bitch most of the time. From the moment she isn't the best pilot anymore she spirals down to being useless because of some inferiority complex or something. I'd rather have more character development for Rei than have asuka.

I really don't see how she was made likeable in any way. Even with knowing that she had a fucked up childhood, she was still being a bitch so i don't liker her.

Also, her german was atrocious.

i agree

t. rei poster

Asuka was a bitch because she was cock hungry most of the time.

Well from what I can gather from some of your questions is that you weren't paying close enough attention to some details. I know she does come off as a bitch because that's her "AT field" as much as Shinji and his no backbone always distancing himself from others and using his record player over and over again.

>also her german was atrocious
Are we talking sub or dub? Nips can barely say any English even thought it seems to be shown a lot.

The comment about her german was mostly joking. Of course Nips can't speak german or english, even if they pretend that they can.

I literally just finished Evangelion. I was mostly wondering if there is some stuff that i should just take as a fact, or if they explained it and i missed it.

Maybe i'm just ignorant, but my bias says that Rei is the definite best girl.

user the secret answer is that there is no best girl of Evangelion because they're all broken messes who can't make connections

You've been duped like everyone else has for the last 20 years

Then avoid the rest of the franchise, because Gainax/Khara/Anno fucking hate Rei.

can agree, even tough, I am a Shinji X Asuka fag
(and I am the same user, who came up with a fanfiction were Asuka is annoyed, cause Kaworu fucks him)

People prefer Asuka, including myself, because she's the cutest. Although all in Evangelion are "worst girl" and all belong in a nut house.

Hey the Sadmoto manga and Rebuild 2.0 treated Rei well for the most part. She died though for some reason to rebirth the world or some shit

The thing in a nutshell is that people are attracted to cute broken girls.

Ok, i am conviced now that there can be some merit to asuka. I am still a Reifag though. Thanks for not killing me because i never watched evangelion until now.

This. I like her more because she's fucked up

Yeah me too, and I usually root for characters like that. I want to see them happy.

Sadamoto manga was Reifags: The Manga, Rebuilds 1 and 2 were Reifags: The Movies but they also pushed Asuka IS BADASS and continued that into 3 which was just garbage, I say this as a giant Reifag.

reminder that NGE is overrated but still pretty good

Well, Asuka in 2.22 was a jobber and got "killed off" halfway through the movie.

That was the same as it was in NGE, everything past the twins Asuka was either useless or got taken out right away.

She's probably as bad as a jobber or worse than Son Gohan post Cell.

Hey her MPEVA fight was a top tier moment of the show

Perhaps, but she still lost that fight and got torn to shreds.

Asuka > Misato > Rei

This

Asuka>Misato>Rei>>>Rebuild Kaworu>>>>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone else in rebuilds>Mari

But although Asuka is very cute, I'd have to say she was the antagonist of the show.

Not this stupid shit again. Fuck off.

This shows been out for like 2 decades and all you retards STILL don't even consider that Hikari is the best girl

Come on now, no need to be rude! I'm just trying to promote conversation now!

Truly though, think about it. If it wasn't for her, Shinji wouldn't have turned everyone into V8 juice.

I can never remember her. I had to look her name up to know who you were talking about.

She's certainly the only one with whom a normal relationship would be possible. And she would cook for you too.

People don't like Hikari because she's plain looking, Asuka is more "cute"

I normally relate to MC in shows and so I end up not liking girls that are meant to go with some other character, in her case Toji. So she seems off limits, if that makes sense.

This.
>true twintails
>freckles
Cute.
Autism.

I'm the opposite, I usually prefer girls that are paired with a character, usually the MC. I love girls that have electra complex, get bullied alot by the MC and realistic flaws.

Hikari is a bit more plain looking than Asuka and Rei, they are colorful. Where as Hikari is differnet shades of brown (eyes, skin and hair).

Maybe that was the point, since she was the most normal by a sizable margin.

1. They wanted to trigger third impact on their terms; to become a god or sorts at the expense of humanity.
2. SEELE discovered Adam lying in hibernation under Antarctica. They sent one of their researchers to make physical contact with him so they could weaken him (ie: blow up) and forestall the end of mankind.
3. Originally, the same as his wife: ie - the ending we got. After Yui disappeared, he wanted solely to be reunited with her.
4. Lilith. It was a trick to draw the angels. Probably.
5. They never really had a stated goal. Word of God states they had different motivations. SEELE, Gendo, and Yui wanted Third Impact on their terms so they could shape how Instrumentality happens.
6. Because why not?
7. Self-aware weapons that protect the First Race's goals of seeding life. Among other things, it can disable Adam or Lilith and pierce AT fields.
8. It's just some ancient prophecy. NERV and SEELE are trying to react to it; hence their schemes.
9. Their parents were NERV scientists; their mothers put their souls into the EVA cores. Except of course, Rei.
10. Instrumentality. The joining of the two seeds of life along with the Spear of Longinus can trigger it. That's why Gendo fused with Adam's embryonic body and EVA-01 ate that N2 core. Basically they created a being that more or less has the power of a god, and one of the things it does is draw everyone's soul into it to merge as one.

Yui wanted Shinji to be in charge of the decision, hoping he would reject it and let people go back to life, which is why she fully absorbed herself in Unit-01 and repeatedly tested him throughout the show. Gendo was about to fuse with Lilith/Rei, but Yui knew this was happening and let Asuka die so Rei could hear Shinji's psychic screams.

this description is relevant to my interests

do explain

Just finished Evangelion (Haven't seen EoE)

Can you explain me that ending? The original one

Basically, Asuka and Shinji have a romantic relationship in the begining but then Shinji finds out he's Kaworu's soulmate and his Eve, to Kaworu's Adam. He dumps her and then she loses her humanity becoming part of Unit 02. Kaworu end up together on an island with white monsters. The end.

Poor, poor Asuka chan...

12 year old spotted, best to sage and ignore js

who cares? The reason Evangelion is popular is because of it's artistic merits, and it's artistic merits are often very subtle or otherwise ambiguous. They make a display of a lot of philosophy that isn't the slightest bit subtle, but the statements they make are usually interpretable in multiple ways so they can be considered ambiguous in that sense. The only way to get the full plot is outside of the anime, they don't really explain some stuff like what happened before the start of the show, and a lot of what they do explain is explained through implication and not directly told through exposition. I'd say the manga is best if you just want the plot, but the plot is the weakest element of the series, to be honest. It's one of the very few anime with striking cinematography and imagery, sort of a lost art in the anime world.

>I really don't see how she was made likeable in any way.
she wasn't. I'm pretty sure Anno said once that he was surprised anyone liked his characters because he wrote them to be so fucked up.

>write show that looks down on otaku pandering
>get image like that made out of one of your characters
>anno's face when

neat. where does that happen? anima?

Rei is Best

Yeah, we had a thread up last night talking about it. ANIMA is basically an alt timeline if Kaji survived and NERV crushed SEELE and prevented Intrumentality. Oh and all the Eva pilots grow huge tits.

>Finally get around to watching Eva the whole way through to ep 26 director's cut + movie
>As i watch i get confused by the tone of the show
>Did i remember this wrong or was this supposed to be the most depressing ending possibly made in the history of the world
>Am I crazy or somehow in the midst of psychological dread, Kabbalist apocalyptic lunacy and a mountain of corpses the theme of the show is extremely optimistic
>Get to the beach scene at the end

So... did Shinji learn a damn thing through any of that or am i reading it wrong? Or maybe that was just relief at the end?

Also congratulations Yui, mission accomplished you magnificent bastard

defintely picking this up to witness the homo cucking of asuka

thank you based titposter

>based
>cucking
>no capitalization or punctuation
Don't you have school tomorrow or something? Fuck off, kid.

yeah, anno likes his girls looking like teenagers forever. fuck that shit.

Well, its not translated as far as I know. its in japanese. Although there is lots of covers with eva girls with tits.

who even cares about her you fucking nerd

holy shit, where can I read this?

Nowhere unless you know Japanese

see newfag

thanks man didn't catch that at first

Yeah, don't mention it. Just making sure you saw it.

Shinji accepted the real world and went back to it. People other than Asuka will eventually showing up and humanity will start over.

I don't know why that Asuka decided to come back, she was with Kaji and had everything she ever wanted. She was even away the person she hated most, Shinji. Asuka is an enigma.

No, that part was clear, thats the optimistic part
But then he still found the need to choke a bitch
Which, fine, he's not even sure she's real so he'll just do what he did earlier in Tangworld
Then he breaks down and cries because he finds out she really is real and she goes 'how disgusting'

did he relapse or was that just relief?

In the end it sort of comes off that Rei III just plucked her out and dumped her on the beach
We certainly didnt see her come to terms like Shinji did

Also first timer here, i actually just finished checking the available torrents on Nyaa. Im kinda lost. There is a fucking shitload of different subs around, plus im not entirely sure on the ordering. If i heard correctly, the anime is the first thing to watch?

So, any recommendation? Also, i see the terms Death, Rebirth and Reborn tossed around. What are exactly? Sequels? Reboots?

So Asuka consciousness wasn't in Intrumentality? You don't think she made that decision, but it was Rei/Lilith that decided to choose for Asuka to return? Why? She wanted Shinji to suffer?

Do you honestly think she'd want to be around all of those people in Instrumentality? Her earlier comments about the bathroom directly allude to this, especially when she says she doesn't want to use the same 𝑤𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟 as Misato or Shinji.

get the Sephirotic version, in the text of the torrent page itself it has a MEGA link to several languages of subs and audio dubs too

everything in there is squared away in one package dont worry about the death/rebirth stuff

watch episodes 1-26 then the movie

It's time to repost this. You're still here OP ? here you go.

But why would she want to share the same world with Shinji, when she can be with Kaji? She can even be with her mother forever.

>doesn't want to use the same 𝑤𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟 as Misato or Shinji.
fucking Chekov's Gun fuck you anno

Because she's not just with her mother or Kaji. Plus Misato is there, too. Eventually her concept of not only Kaji or Misato would be obliterated, but her concept of herself would cease to exist. That's just the nature of Instrumentality.

But isn't intrumentality just one big dream everyone shares? Its a collective conscious. Intrumentality is basically everything is possible and you can live forever. She could have been away from Shinji, yet this is not the case.

I'd sooner understand quantum physics than I'd know of Asuka's thought process.

>Its a collective conscious
As well as a "collective unconscious" which, hint hint, is based off of a famous psychologist by the name of Jung Freud who, hint hint, inspired Anno to make not only Instrumentality but a certain buster pilot in his first directional debut.

No individuality will persist in Instrumentality because of the fact it houses an inordinate amount of souls and the collective experiences, thoughts and whatever else. Hate to use such a Sup Forumstier example, but think of the Flood from Halo.

god bless you 4chin

22 years later and Asukafags/Reifags are still fucking arguing over this shit.

i can't even tell if it's ironic or not at this point, but this made my night.

Because the only thing that can kill Asuka is Asuka and not even then

Yet Shinji was able to think for himself and do as he pleased, even leave at will. Surely Asuka could do the same, something in Intrumentality happened with Asuka that she decided to touch his face.

well, I don't think even Anno knows why she came back to Earth. Her character makes no sense.

Because Rei gave him the position of deciding whether Instrumentality happened or not.

>something happened
No shit, it isn't every day something like Instrumentality happens. I doubt you immediately lose all of your individuality upon being introduced to Instrumentality by Lilith. It probably takes some time. But it's made pretty explicitly clear by canon that individuality will cease to exist in Instrumentality, this being the nature of a collective thoughtform in pretty much in any related media.