PV2
youtube.com/watch?v=bGGN8n5rQJY
Based Polygon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-gcyZc3bhyM
ppi.co.jp/works/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_Pictures
youtube.com/watch?v=q0Ib86qUodw
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2016-08-26/knights-of-sidonia-mangaka-tsutomu-nihei/.105800
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Imagine how incredible this could be if it looked as good as Gantz:O

man if sidonia looked even a fifth as decent as this people wouldn't have been as pissed.
God damn it Nihei,

why do they insist on using that shitty framerate
>but it looks more like 2D anime
it looks like shit

When will Polygon have a better understanding of using limited framerates in animation? You can't just halve them and call it a day. Just get a good 2D animator to show them good frame modulation and we'll finally have none of this awkward stuttering movement.

holy cow, that looks good

Doesn't look good enough for a movie

One simple fact many anons refuse to accept is that CG in anime is still very early, but it's getting better very fast, and the only way it can get better is by keep making more CGI anime like this.

2D will still be king, if only because Japan is super proud of traditions, but CGI will only get better and bigger.

There are already good examples of good CGI and Blame is not on that list.

>keep making more CGI anime like this.
>like this
no
go look at gantz:o

I'm not claiming whether Blame is good or not. It's not even out yet. Just that more CGI anime should be made.
Which I'm sure many here will disagree.

>
>cg in anime is still very early
Dude, cg has been incorporated into anime since the 80's, almost 40 years, regardless of how much better the technology has gotten in the last ~10, you cant say that.

CG is pretty old and it's good enough just used as a supplement to 2D.

Gantz O looks too realistic

yeah if it doesnt look choppy as fuck it's too realistic

Yeah.
There's a reason why they limit the animation on purpose.

>Which I'm sure many here will disagree.
Yes because your logic doesn't make sense, it's not about quantity it's about quality we are talking here.

>not animating this in 2D
ugh

Looks good but Polygon still sucks at animating. I don't understand why they try so hard to try to imitate limited animation. They should at least do like whoever worked on Etotama and hire a few traditional animators to help the 3D animators.

Basically this.
They could also go full automatic tweening and let their animation shine instead of staying at the bottom of the uncanny valley between 2D and 3D animation. Whatever they do would still look better than this.

Practice makes perfect.

You know full well that this would never be made in 2D.
It's either 3D or nothing, not 3D or 2D.

>CG in anime is still very early
youtube.com/watch?v=-gcyZc3bhyM

Oh boy I sure love 3 frames per second.

the reason is that they think it makes it look more like traditional anime
which is both wrong and retarded

Practice makes perfect.
That's not the only issue tho, you need good organization, money and time to do it properly.

every single thread.

you retards are so predictable and boring.

you don't like CG we get it, just fuck off.

name of the song?

jeeez why so butthurted?

kill yourself
the CG isnt the problem here

I like CG, I just don't like shitty looking CG, not that I mind either way since I liked Kemono friends.

>Cibo: HanaKana
>Sanakan: Hayami Saori
hmmn...

>kemono friends CGI
>muricans like it

>BLAME friends CGI
>muricans hate it

Nihei used CGI in the manga itself in the first few vols

BULLSHIT

>kemono friends
Eh KF is all about "so bad it's good" animation + interesting settings. I don't think any KF fans can say the CGI was good

fuck off the CGI itself is not the problem if learned how to read

too cute

Japan like it, they pay the money, that's it.

The best

>Polygon still sucks at animating
Go check their previous works, it's Japanese crowd asking for this kind of animation, not this is the only animation they can do.
ppi.co.jp/works/

Pretty sure most people don't hate it though.

it's a netflix anime
it's obviously aimed at a worldwide audience, not just japan

>frame this frame that
Not saying you're wrong, but unless Japanese audience change their mind, this 2D-like frame will never change.
There was a video that showing CG anime comes with 30fps at first, then they cut it to 12, so it's not about "can they do it?", it's about "which way they choose?".

It's will be also on Japan theater.

>this 2D-like frame will never change.
the thing is in 2D animation, you do things to make the animation look smoother, which are not present here

This, when things are done 2D the only time the framerate is noticeable is either when the animation is shit or it's a big panning shot.

Maybe if one day 24fps 2D animation become mainstream, CG anime will also change to 24fps.

But do you think that day will come?

Go throw money to 2D animators then.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THAT IT'S 3D

I find out some people in this thread thought Polygon Pictures is new CG studio and only work for CG anime.

Check their official site first.

Christ you're pathetic, "you can't change it so why complain about it"

The "problem" is Japan asking for it.
That means it's not a problem for them.

Not as pathetic as complaining something never a problem at all.

>it's not a problem because people who aren't me think it's not a problem
You somehow keep getting lower. Have one more, final (You) to make yourself feel better.

Yes it's not a problem people the people who pay money to them think it's not a problem.
CG anime in TV become a thing since Arpeggio, and this frame as mainstream will never change unless Japanese audience change their mind, so embrace it, or ignore it, it's not that hard.

*because the people who pay money to them think it's not a problem.

just because people pay for it doesnt mean they dont think it would be better if it had a higher framerate

no
i will call shit for what it is

Thing is, they cut it lower, not they can't do it higher.
Most of Polygon Pictures shows are 24fps(or maybe even higher), except anime-style shows.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_Pictures

Kemono friends is not shitting on a good source unlike Kemono friends

Netflix brings the worst kind of retards here. Sidonia ruined Nihei's threads.

Nihei ruined himself to be honest.
I'll just enjoy this movie I waited 15 years for, and definitely say goodbye to his works.

Sidonia was always his weakest work anyways,

I still really liked it though

that's what's puzzling

they somehow have this dumb simplistic concept that anime style means only 12 fps with what appears to be no knowledge of why or how it works for 2D

it's like one of those how to draw anime books that starts and ends at the general idea that anime has big eyes and tiny noses

Nihei ruined himself and just want the ez money from these shitty animations

I liked the anime much more than the manga

Everyone: shut the fuck up about your animation preferences; this thread is about the trailer and the film.

I can't believe that they're trying this hard to pander to Nihei's new audience. It's disgusting. The Safeguards moving at like 2 miles an hour, getting killed by single arrows to the *body*. Killy fucking killing a Safeguard with a combat knife. No blood from the Safeguards. Killy seemingly winning his fight against Sanakan. That brief scene implying a Killy-Cibo kiss. That girl's bare leg as she is getting out of her armor at 0:43. The very clear focus on the girl's perspective, as opposed to a universal perspective or Killy's perspective. It's all disgusting and utterly unique to the adaptation. These are all clear, unrepentant attempts to pander to people who would never enjoy the original work. This film isn't going to be *Blame*. It's going to be an original work that does nothing more than borrow the basic concepts of Killy and The City. And I shall hate it for that, and I shall hate Nihei for that. Not because it is an original work - that is not a concept which can be hated on its own. It is to be hated because it is an original work which was made because the real one wouldn't sell as well.

Here's what it looks like every single time that the Electro-Fishers kill a Safeguard in the manga: it's a headshot, with extensive blood. Every time.

Why do you hate Nihei for wanting his work to be more accessible?

What the fuck why does this look so much better than Sidonia, really stepped their game up
It looks really good

I feel like there's more dialogue within the trailer than in the whole manga. What is this shit about?

Yeah, it rubs me the wrong way too. The simple fact that the PV has so much peoples speaking is just wrong.
That said, I'm just glad this exist.
And everyone know Sanakan wins and fugg Cibo anyway.

There's two kinds of CG in Japan.

>The ugly kind you see in every Polygon anime and all the cars in the background of every seasonal anime. It looks like shit.
>The good kind you see in Final Fantasy Kingsglaive and Gantz:O

We need more of the good kind.

The animation in Gantz:0 for whatever reason was off putting for me personally

He's not doing it for the sake of his artistry. He said something in some interview (about Sidonia, I think) to the effect of that he'd realized that Blame wasn't successful because it was something that he *wanted* to draw and that, now, he's intentionally drawing for a wider audience.

There is good CG that resembles more anime as Polygon wants as well, see youtube.com/watch?v=q0Ib86qUodw

>that kiss tease at 1:13
I do not remember this part in the manga.

Since was this EVER a good thing? He deserves all the hate

Difference is no one was expecting anything from Kemono Friends and the CGI is the worst part of it admitted by even the biggest fanboy.

Because she dies like three times

Because he's not the one who impregnate her

Besides CG, I do feel like the PV is too loud, as in there are two many people taking.
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but the Blame I remember had pretty little dialogue.

Jesus... That looks terrible.

Gantz 0 is also shit.

>the Blame I remember had pretty little dialogue.
You're correct and in fact the manga was pretty popular for this.

I liked the CGI... in Bubuki Buranki. Here, it's way too jarring. Looks like the anime equivalent of shaky cam.

Here we are! This is what I was looking for:
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2016-08-26/knights-of-sidonia-mangaka-tsutomu-nihei/.105800

Excerpts!
>Nihei: When I transitioned from drawing Biomega to creating Knights of Sidonia, my thinking was that I wanted to make something that was more accessible, and easier for people to read and enjoy.

>Nihei: BLAME! and Biomega, those were series that I personally really wanted to draw. When I created them, I wasn't thinking so much about WHO I was creating these stories for. As a manga creator, it's a pleasure to create work that many people enjoy reading. So when I started drawing Sidonia, I changed my stance toward my manga, and aimed to create a story that a wider range of readers could enjoy.
>Interviewer: Do you still want to create works like Biomega and BLAME! that are more about your personal, artistic expression?
>Nihei: (laughs) Well, I've been doing that style of work for over 15 years, so I'm okay with moving on, doing something different and more accessible to readers.

skipping ahead...
>Interviewer: Is that what you think is the biggest difference between the you then, and who you are now?
>Nihei: It goes back to the reasons why I drew manga before, for more selfish reason, or drawing for myself. Now I've come to realize that I have to draw manga that is entertaining for others to read.

Oh, and for those of you who are still fucked in the head enough to believe that Nihei's art is some sort of natural progression or whatever:

>Interviewer: ... I was struck by how your art style has evolved. It's still definitely your work, but, for example, Knights of Sidonia looks very different than BLAME!
>Nihei: That's true. I'm intentionally changing my art style.

So don't ever say any of that "lol get over it he doesn't like his old style anymore" shit; it's clearly not true.

Sounds like he sold out.

You're right, and I didn't touch on that. Good point. I suppose it's probably because they want to explain literally the entire setting so that viewers can understand it better. That's not a good thing, though.

We both know that it's asinine to compare a film versus an anime budget. But even so, this is just a natural result of Polygon developing their graphics pipeline.
It all started with Sidonia, and reached what people would call acceptable during Ajin. From now on, you're seeing their actual ability, and I'm sure they'll only continue to improve their process with the release of the Godzilla trilogy.

Why the fuck is this allowed

1/2

There is literally nothing wrong with the decisions Nihei has made in his career.

>You know full well that this would never be made in 2D.
>It's either 3D or nothing, not 3D or 2D.
Why not aside from choice? It could and could be done well, just as apparently well as 3D.

2/2

My friend just made this quick edit for me. Newer art style has always been great, I just wish the contrast for light shading were a tiny bit more darker like here.

This guy gets it

IIRC wasn't one another reason he decided to end Biomega because his kid told him he didn't like it because it was ugly looking?

Not quite. I recall it being during early Sidonia - that could go either way, I don't really care - but it was his daughter asking him why he couldn't draw more interesting manga like Shingeki no Kyojin. Well, the shoe's on the other foot now, bitch.

CG in anime is far older than Arpeggio. Splitting hairs, it started in 2004 with Gankutsuou.
The earliest anime which used actual 3D models was Negima by SHAFT in 2005 if I'm not mistaken. SHAFT continued the pattern by continually replacing everything with digital art and CG. 3D models are used everywhere in their pipeline now, they just trace over them. The evidence? Literally every OP and ED they did for all of their anime. They made sure you knew they used it.

See

No but it doesn't matter what we tell you because retards like you won't stop repeating that Nihei sold out or his kid forced him or whatever.

>This guy gets it
It's not just about the appearance of the art. It's about the deliberate sale of one's own value. Also, the stories, but that's a hundred times harder to critically discuss.

But he did 'sell out'. His daughter did not force him, but he did.

I don't know if people would consider that legitimate, it's even almost a lack of effort. Good for 1983, I guess?
Reminds me of that one old Godzilla movie with the underwater 3DCG scene.

>BURAMU

yeah, sure.