April 1 in Japan

>April 1 in Japan

Oh would you look at that. It's TTGL's 10th anniversary

>April 1 in Japan
It's not.

>it's fucking 1 april again tomorrow

Quite literally the worst day of the year on internet.

It will be in one hour, close enough.

Perfect timing for Imaishi to announce his new piece of shit.

April 2 will be 20th anniversary of pic related.

How can you be this much of a sourpuss
At worst its just meh jokes on your favorite sites, chill the fuck out nerd

Sorry i don't enjoy fake announcements from half of the sites and shitty music and whatnot from the other half.

Sometimes the fake ones stuck.
Like [s4s] as a board.

>mfw 90% of my youtube feed filled with shity april fools videos

Truly a joke anime.

Sigh

s4s is the greatest site on the board

Rest in peace [s4s] 2013-2014

Realistically, what can the new Imaishi mecha series do to justify its existence when TTGL exists?

It's going to be the real robot series to finally take down Gundam.

Never gonna happen

>Imaishi
>not cartoony as fuck
Not happening. And the "realrobot" arc of TTGL was by far the worst.

People who say Kamina shouldn't have died are retarded.

Also the show should have ended after defeating Lordgenome.

It can be better, not like TTGL is any benchmark of quality. Not even in the mecha genre is it anything notable.

>Gundam
>real robot
This is almost as laughable as you claiming that an Imaishi made series could topple the empire that is Gundam.

>It can be better, not like TTGL is any benchmark of quality. Not even in the mecha genre is it anything notable.
Nobody cares about your contrarian opinion, /m/.

Sorry I have seen more than one mecha show. TTGL doesn't bring anything new to the table, this is just a fact. I'm not saying its bad, I had fun with it but there are plenty of better series out there.

>new Imaishi mecha series
Is there any concrete source? I've been looking but can't find anything on this.

Watching people get angry over people liking TTGL is more entertaining than the show itself.

It's not about having watched more mecha shows. It's about having watched the shows that TTGL is borrowing from. For most people here, the only mecha shows older than TTGL that they would have watched are NGE and maybe some Gundam.

The End of Gurren Lagann

Okay? I've watched the series that TTGL takes from, so I know what's being referenced/homaged/aped from stuff like Getter, Mazinger, etc. Getter is my favorite mecha show and I've seen just about everything that's been put in English for it, and the amount TTGL takes from Getter almost whole sale is kinda baffling.

Just because people here know fuck all about mecha doesn't make TTGL some revolutionary series that means anything to the genre. It's a fun show that is clearly influenced by famous mecha shows, especially influenced by the works of Ishikawa.

Also to people who hear the age old bullshit of "it's a love letter to mecha" it's really not. It's at best a love letter to 70s mecha, particularly Toei, but a true love letter to the whole genre is Gun X Sword.

>Getter is my favorite mecha show
>show

Damn...
Season 2 when?

>His system to govern celebration of an event is based on numerology and base 10 number system

>another getter vs ttgl thread

You hipsters aren't impressing anyone. No matter how much you rage people are gonna like TTGL more because it's more entertaining and memorable. Gurren Lagann takes everything fun about mecha and shoves it up your ass on top of a surprisingly well done coming of age story. The cartoony visuals and soundtrack are also 10/10 aside from that one episode.

While Getter Robo is a good manga, overall I wouldn't recommend it over TTGL unless you got a fedora and want to pretend the shit is amazing just because it inspired other mecha.

>Imaishi

hmmmmm

I meant series, so sue me. I've seen every version of the series: Toei Getter, Armageddon, Shin Vs Neo, New, crossover films, read Getter Robo Saga, and every translated manga that includes Getter Robo.

How can you judge how memorable Getter is if you and majority of the west hasn't seen it? I'm not saying about which you like more or which I like more, I'm saying it doesn't do anything revolutionary with the genre and honestly doesn't do anything original with it either. You are making a lot of claim when I doubt you have seen much of Getter, Mazinger, Grendizer, Kotetsu Jeeg, Brave, or even Gundam just to name a few series. Western TTGL fans think it's some amazing revolutionary series but it's not in any way shape or form. It's a good show, but it's nothing amazing when it comes to the genre.

>not like TTGL is any benchmark of quality
For Imaishi, it absolutely is. It's the best TV anime he's directed and I doubt that he'd be able to surpass it now. Any new robot anime he does would have to take a substantially different approach to not come across as a pale retread.

Just finished this today.
Pretty great, but the ending just seemed to forget to wrap up the story.

i like the way that all people here choose to be anonymous just because they are too fucking lazy to type in a fake name.

I have no idea what to say to that.
Do I respond seriously?
Are you joking?
You are joking, right?

This is April fools, right?

TTGL is actually my least favorite Imaishi. It's too normalized and probably his least personal work.

YOU GOT SOME NERVE COMING OUT HERE

REQUIEM ETERNAM

Half Life 3 coming out tomorrow

Lucky Star is a better anime than TTGL

Darker than Black was the best anime of the year.

>electric batman

Nah

Agree with kamina dying to let other generations go

But the second adult part was pretty fucking awesome, specially the last episode and the sacrifice of Kittan

oh shit no way?

We will have to agree to disagree. I hated Kittan's death because the show suddenly wanted me to care about a heroic sacrifice of a character that was never relevant to begin with. Also cheapened it by just doing Kamina's death over again.

INTO THE EYE OF THE STORRRM

Still my all time favorite. A good old fashioned word filter would be a good way to celebrate.

Kittan's sacrifice alone saved the show for me. I really, really had to force myself to get up to that point after the timeskip, and even afterwards it was a boring slog. But holy fuck Kittan's sacrifice was awesome.

Yeah, I like that too

summer is coming early I see

We need Rebuild of Utena movies.

1.0 turns 10 in september

>want to pretend the shit is amazing
Anything by Ken Ishikawa is fucking amazing. Even Imaishi would agree.

You need to stop pretending to have taste and kill yourself.

>The cartoony visuals and soundtrack are also 10/10 aside from that one episode.
Except the fights in TTGL all suck ass with very poor choreography from Imaishi. Very thoroughly disappointed especially when he came out with RE: Cutie Honey only a few years earlier.

>10 years and nothing has come close of being better

Except Kill la Kill, that surpassed it.

Imaishi is literally a god desu

shin mazinger was better

Maybe if it had a real ending.
But yeah those two are pretty much the only good mecha series of the last 10 years. Sad!

daily reminder

>Maybe if it had a real ending.
It was realer than ttgl's.

TTGL went against its own themes.

Meanwhile Shin ended as expected it would.

>much the only good mecha series of the last 10 years
Meh. I thought Koutetsushin Jeeg was just as entertaining as TTGL.

>TTGL went against its own themes.
Not this shit again.

the only good things about KLK was character design and soundtrack.
it's sad how TTGL looks better despite being older

TTGL was boring but ok on some parts.

6/10

>the only good things about KLK was character design and soundtrack.
I prefer TTGL's OST, but KLK has better characters, dialogue, humor, setting and concept.
>it's sad how TTGL looks better despite being older
Looks better how? Nobody denies that it has more consistent animation, but that was a Gainax big production VS the first series of a freshly established studio, the year hardly matters.
Regarding backgrounds design, storyboards, use of layers, KLK is superior.