Right now, the Ghost in the Shell movie has a lower score than The Boss Baby does on Rotten Tomatoes

Right now, the Ghost in the Shell movie has a lower score than The Boss Baby does on Rotten Tomatoes.

Let that sink in.

Proof:
rottentomatoes.com/m/the_boss_baby
rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_in_the_shell_2017

>wow Ghost in the Shell is popular in japan as well as having a huge cult following in the west
>We should make a movie about it!
>Yeah let's cut out all of the 2deep4u shit that literally no one cared about and insert a ton of action scenes!

What did they think was gonna happen?

Reminder not to support western adaptations of anime. Keep it in Japan.

It was mediocre, it was basically Robocop but made for the somewhat-morbidly-curious-weeb audience.

Im betting most of the lower scores are because of muh whitewashing, not because of the movie being a simple action flick and shitting on the source material.

Hopefully this will put an end to any hopes Hollywood had for adapting anime.

They just can't into japanese narration and plot complexity, let alone Oshii.

You couldn't really expect any better from the director that directed Snow white and the huntsmen, the industry that prized Suicide squad and an audience that uses words like kino and actually believes Marvel or DC movies are actually good movies.

>Ghost in the Shell boasts cool visuals and a compelling central performance from Scarlett Johansson, but the end result lacks the magic of the movie's classic source material.
>but the end result lacks the magic of the movie's classic source material.
Even though you're still somewhat right, even hollywood critics can see that asian actors couldn't save the script.

A surprising amount of them are actually complaining that it doesn't take any of the philosophy from the other entries

>using RT like a grading system

use metacritic for that

It makes sense. The original Ghost in the Shell was a shitty movie too. Its only saving grace was the visuals.

Reminder that replacing Scarlett Johansson would not have made this movie any better.

well yes, but the strong part of GIS that made them actual money was stand alone complex, not the movie, so it stands to reason they should have followed that.

>Hollywood
>caring about RT or metacritic
Movie reviews have even less impact on revenue than video game reviews do. This shit's probably going to do gangbusters in Asia, so I wouldn't get excited about it flopping in America either.

Just got back from seeing it. Was okay. Certainly no Dragonball Evolution. Should've been 10-15 minutes longer though, first act felt a bit rushed. We didn't get a proper introduction to Ssection 9, even though except for Batou and Aramaki they didn't do anything.
It had cool visual design, but the cinematography was very generic. Soundtrack was good. Action scenes could've been cool, but there was way too much slow-down-speed-up. Not an egregious amount of cuts, but it wasn't no Raid or John Wick, that's for damn sure. ScarJo did a good job, but her character arc I think made the plot lose focus. Replacing her wouldn't have made it better, but could've made it worse.
All in all, it's fine for a lazy sunday afternoon if you've got nothing else to do, but it tried to do too much given its runtime.

So Sup Forums what do you think the issue is? Can hollywood just not adapt something from japan without completely renaming it and removing japan from the setting? Are all adaptations doomed to be "loosely based on", or more likely: "completely ripped off of" like Perfect Blue? Will Cameron save western adaptations with Alita: Battle Angel?

Is this just me getting what I deserve for actually wanting hollywood adaptations of anime and manga?

You should spent some time reading before you start writing stuff.

>Will Cameron save western adaptations with Alita: Battle Angel?
hard to fuck that adaptation it only needs to be gory and gaudy.

What the fuck are you talking about? You're pretty clearly implying that bad scores on RT will "hopefully put an end to any hopes Hollywood had for adapting anime".

>Will Cameron save western adaptations with Alita: Battle Angel?
no, because it's a Robert Rodriguez film now

The Big Plot Twist is very amusing in the face of the big whitewashing controversy.

>ton of action scenes!

There was 3 action scenes. Also why did they make Major look like she had back problems. Half the time she was horribly hunching her back and shit.

Coming as someone who never watched ghost in the shell, the movie itself was terrible. My friend who I watched it with who loved the anime said it was terrible as fuck.

>mfw this is true

It was an ok movie if you don't compare it with the source material, if you do then it's a pile of shit.

>Rotten Tomatoes
That place is cancer. Go back to retard.

Uh, yeah it would have. I don't give a shit about the Major being white, but ScarJo is a horrendous actress. I wanted to blow my brains out every time she opened her stupid fucking mouth or reacted to something with that cold, dead fish expression that her botox laden face gets stuck on. If it weren't for that, it would have been a pretty good action movie.

You mean to tell me a movie by the guy who did Snow White and the Huntsman turned out to be shit?!
SHOCKING!

Anime directors have a higher understanding of art and composition. Hollywood directors are shallow Jewish hacks who only care about money. Hollywood doing justice to anime is pretty much impossible.

Edge of tomorrow was a good movie, it's great they didn't take the original story.

It wouldn't work well in America. Americans like battle hardened veterans, not a teenage kid who can kill hundreds of aliens.

Anime, especially plot doesn't work well in murica'

Saw the movie today. Like 1 hour ago actually

Its not bad honestly. Not great either.

The scene when she is ripping the thing out of the spider tank you can see her abs and some muscles. I thought it was fine.

The middle has some scenes that were questionable.

Overall I didn't hate it.

I liked Batou and Togusa. Major was alright too.

I actually would not mind a sequel since they got all the Major backstory stuff out of the way and they are their own team now.

Yeah i am sure having a shitty script and untalented director had nothing to do with it

Yup so "shitty" it inspired a fuckton of Hollywood directors as well as movies

>Robert Rodriguez
>from the director of Spy Kids and Machete

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Better director than Rupert Sanders. Plus he is still working off of Cameron's script and has Weta behind him. I have more hope of it being decent than this piece of shit movie

I don't buy this at all. Do Americans really prefer that, or has Hollywood just never tried to offer us anything other than generic by-the-numbers shit? It's just like our pop music, it's not at all representative of most Americans' taste. It just represents what sells to people who jump on bandwagons and are stupid enough to buy music.

Too bad it's gonna flop hard and there will be no sequel to this bastardization

There were no teenagers in the original story. What the hell are you talking about. Character-wise all they did was change Keiji to Cage and make him an officer instead of a recruit. I guess Tom Cruise is like 40, but I don't think they purposefully made him old.

Stop supporting that shit, also nice spacing you've got going on there.

What does this even mean? Do you really want to start this shit here?

Home Alone scored 24% on Rotten Tomatoes and yet its not a bad movie

Ace Ventura has 33%

Die Hard 3 is rotten

etc etc etc

>Yeah i am sure having a shitty script and untalented director had nothing to do with it
Most Marvel movies have shitty scripts and untalented one-note, no-range actors. This movie doesnt get a pass though, probably because of the whitewashing stuff, so critics dont turn a blind eye on the movie´s shortcommings.

Doubt it will flop.

China also helped with the movie and I know its going to do well in China.

You can be a mad weeb and think it will though.

The movie was not THAT bad. The only major issue was too little philosophy.
As a Hollywood action movie, it's average or slightly above average for the visual aesthetic

Love all these shills coming out of the wood work to defend this piece of shit. This the hill you want to die on? Defending a fucking Rupert Sanders movie?

Nothing wrong with spacing user.

Also nothing wrong with supporting it. I didn't hate it. Well worth the $5 I paid for it.

Keep being mad though

he's directed a few OK movies, I'm waiting for a trailer to declare it shit

Anyone is better than Rupert "I've Directed 1 Movie and it Wasn't Good" Sanders

Well in the critics' defense, there was really no need to make ScarJo the major. I mean Motoko Kusanagi is pretty unambiguously japanese.

Defending what you dipshit?

I am saying muh rotten tomato scores don't mean shit when it comes to an entertaining movie.

I read the manga, I thought the main character was a teenager?

Guess I'm wrong, I originally thought he was one of those teenage enlisted soldiers.

why am I in this reply cluster

I think you'll be disappointed when your shitty little movie doesn't do well as you want it to and Rupert Sanders goes back to directing music videos or straight to DVD movies

I don't know who rupert sanders is

Why are you so mad?

nobody in the west knows the source of Edge of Tomorrow. ghost in the shell is well known enough that the west knows about it

He was young, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't a high school student.

The Boss Baby sounds like a fucking parody of stale Dreamworks movies.

I actually liked the movie. Compare this to the pos american dragon ball movie

All You Need is Kill was a question on Jeopardy a few weeks ago, I don't think anyone got it though

That's a shame.

It didn't live up to it's predecessor at all but it was still a pretty good movie. The sets are awesome.

>We put you in this...shell
>But your mind...your soul...your ghost...is still there
>One might say you're a Ghost in the Shell™
You were asking for it if you didn't turn you brain off right here and just enjoy the visuals and action scenes.

>trusting (((hollywood)))

Hell, you can't even trust the majority of television and film studios in any country nowadays.

Doesn't mean good stuff isn't coming out, but boy howdy is there more shit than ever.

I liked the film but you argument is "It's better than the piece of shit that fell off my dog's ass as he ran through the room! That means it's good!"

I went to see it last night. It was actually alright. Not very good, but watchable.
Batou was the best part.
When they reveal that she was Japanese and they rebuilt her with a Caucasian body it becomes clear they didn't understand the whitewashing controversy surrounding their own movie.

Not him but I use line breaks to space out different paragraphs in responses

It still doesn't look like this

At all

Go fuck yourself

>One might say you're a Ghost in the Shell™

This line didn't even happen

Like comparing having crabs to full blown AIDS. Sure Crabs are not as bad but i'd rather not have either if i can help it.

>Crying about line spacing on a channel board

Lel

I agree

>Japanese make terrible adaptations every year constantly
>No tears about it
>Another country makes an alright adaptation
>Pitch forks and weeb tears

Really ruffles my mash potatoes.

So you're saying that the movie's just as bad?

>>But your mind...your soul...your ghost...is still there

They have said similar shit in literally EVERY incarnation of GitS

>I read the manga
>not reading the original LN

They didn't watch it

Clearly.

Let them cry

The samefag defending the movie in this thread is pathetic

Shh.

I doubt most of the people mad about the movie have even watched or read anything GiTS related

>>Japanese make terrible adaptations every year constantly
>>No tears about it
You must be really new.

No shit Sherlock. I added that to mock the other two lines, which actually did happened.

>>Japanese make terrible adaptations every year constantly
>>No tears about it
Don't be ignorant.

Wait, Weta is involved with Alita?

I'm fucking hype.

Those are some strong delusions user. You really can't handle other people thinking differently to you, huh?

weta didn't save GitS, it won't save alita

cept its not an "alright" adaption It wasnt even Ghost in the Shell. It was Fem-Robocop

You know you are doing it wrong when power rangers are laughing at you.

No, it's miles better than Evolution. It's on a different plane of existence. There is not one single redeemable thing about revolution.

You cannot be claiming Evolution was good.

Japan can't even adapt it's own manga to anime properly 90% of the time and everyone knows it, what are you even on about.

>Let them cry
>lower RT than shitty Dreamworks movie #438

Who's crying again?

user don't make shit up

Yeah it's totally one guy

The movie is an enthusiastically blunted version of GitS but it's a far cry from garbage and even manages to do some neat shit of it's own accord.

It was an alright adaptations.

Explain how its not GiTS?

I'm not complaining about the use of the word "ghost", idiot.

I'm complaining about how fucking on-the-nose and obvious it is. No other incarnation of GitS has them preceding the use of the term "ghost" with a thesaurus entry of synonyms so that no one is confused as to what it's referring to, and no other incarnation of GitS refers to a cyborg body as a "shell" literally the sentence prior to referring to the ghost.

The problem is that the Asian-American community doesn't really get any attention. Only African-Americans do these days. Amd Hollywood won't spend tens of millions of dollars on a film that doesn't have an American, or at least Western, lead.
The day we have a fuck ton of high profile Japanese-American actors is the day you'll see more faithful anime adaptations from Hollywood.

Weta is a visual effects company.that does shit like Batman V Superman and Independence Day: Resurgence. Don't be hyped.

Is it better than 2014 Robocop?

Have the people who made the movie watched anything GITS related? Or did they just watch different Youtube clips of iconic scenes from the movie and shove them in this bastardization with no understanding of what made them good to begin with.

>Or did they just watch different Youtube clips of iconic scenes from the movie and shove them in this bastardization with no understanding of what made them good to begin with.
Pretty much this

>RT scores matter

Yeah Speed Racer has 39% it must be shit.

I'm watching the original movie right now to get the bad taste of the live action out of my mouth

This. Sup Forums is only shitting on it because they feel an obligation to do that with western adaptations. It doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Forgot my image

Arguably one of if not the best anime adaptation.

It was.

The Major is not the first of her kind, the major did not have any memories erased after being saved/captured or whatever by an evil corporation , none of that shit has anything to do with GTIS. I have seen it in Robocop and The Bourne Identity though.

Did you even watch the movie?

I don't think you did. All you people crying explain how its not like GiTS without using whitewashing as an excuse.

In arise though the Major does get false memories because she's infected with a virus.
But still your point stands

I did the exact same thing after coming back from the theater.

I want to rewatch both seasons of SAC now.