How do you pronounce his name?

How do you pronounce his name?

I was watching Red Jacket series the other day with a friend. We both grew up watching the show in the early 00's on Adult Swim here in the states. He pronounced his name as it was written but I remembered in the dub of Red jacket that aired on TV, they pronounced his name as Lupan. We argued for about 15 minutes and after doing some research, I found out it was pronounced as Lupan. It made me think to why some people pronounce the name as it's written rather than how it's actually said? I can understand if you have never seen the series before of course you would say it the same way as he did, but he has always been consistent when watching all the series. Now I almost exclusively watch sub stuff and in the Japanese, they always pronounce it as Rupan and sometimes Lupan, but it doesn't explain why English speakers get it wrong.

Why do you think people still say his name wrong even if they have seen the movies and TV shows that clearly pronounce it differently.

Other urls found in this thread:

howtopronounce.com/french/lupin/
youtube.com/watch?v=HvMnufsONpM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Try learning French.

loo-pin

I thought the i in english sounded like an あ hence why it's pronounced like that what the hell.

Because people are retarded.

His name is spelled ルパン though so he's called Lupan

RUPAN SANSEI

only people who don't watch the series call him that. since when the fuck have you ever heard someone in the show say loo-pin?

Yeah, well, that's how the real life name is pronounced.

Loop on.

except it isn't since Lupin is a french name. If your name is John, someone in France isn't going to pronounce it as Jone. If his name is Lupin, then you pronounce it correctly. In this case Aresene Lupin III is pronounced as Lu-pan. Don't be an idiot.

I thought it was Loo-pin as well, until I watched a show dubbed and they kept it as Looh-pon.
There's a popular harry potter character called Lupin (looh-pin), where a lot of confusion comes from.

Poopin the Turd.

Even harry potter fucked up. at least in the movie version.
wasnt that just in the dub version? I always thought the joke didnt work since his name is pronounced as loo-pon and not loo-pin.

was the famous theme song not enough, retard?

But I'm sure that is how it is usually said in French. Am I wrong?

ruuuuuuuuuuuuu pan

in France. They pronounce it as Lupan.

here
.howtopronounce.com/french/lupin/

Loop + pen. "Lupen"
That's how we call him here in Italy.
Even if in some works they call him: loop + pin, "lupin".

We have also the retarded translation of "Margot" as the girl because in the 80' people couldn't say her name (even if gaemon and jigen were named right).
Nowday we use the japanese version.

I would say that "Lupen" sounds better. But I'm biased.

Lupen and Loopin are both incorrect though. Are Italians just retarded? Arent you guys suppose to be the biggest Lupin fans yet you still choose to not say the main character's name correctly?

It should be pronounced something like Lew+pen.

says who? The only people who call hum that are spaghetti eaters.

I've always thought it was pronounced Loopin too before I watched it

I'LL CATCH YOU YET, LEWPAHN
YOU READ THIS IN MY VOICE

Jokes on you. I watch the manga dub of Cagliostro. Who doesn't love metal gear Lupin?

Lewdpeen

loo like poo in the loo, mate. and peen, like penis.

lupin.

i can only imagine a retard saying loopeen. I kinda want this now

When does black jacket come out?

it's out in japan on DVD/BD. There is no announcement that it will be out in the west even though I guarantee Discotek will pick it up like they did with Jigen's Gravestone. Give it a year.

Well, at least we'll get subs soon.

why would you want some shitty fansubs for such a quality movie? Why don't you watch Citizen Kane on your iphone while you're at it. Maybe eat some caviar with a plastic spoon.

MATTE

RUPAN MATTE

The difference is that Harry Potter's Lupin is British and Lupin III is French, so the former is pronounced the English way and the latter the French way. It's like how you pronounce Angela Lansbury "anj-ela" and Angela Merkel "angle-a" and both are correct.

Loopin has never been correct. words should be pronounced based on their origins not by how people in a different country wants to pronounce it.

>but it doesn't explain why English speakers get it wrong.

It's a French name, and burgers are notorious for not knowing how to pronounce anything in other languages.

>black jacket

Is not a thing, sorry

Raw is out on nyaa btw

How long are we going to wait for the next series? And for Koike's Zenigata?

>How long are we going to wait for the next series?
no one knows
>And for Koike's Zenigata?
hopefully never since Koike Zenigata is garbage. He has no personality and he's too serious. Let hope we finally get a Koike Lupin film instead.

Oh you are the one user that used to make threads almost all days before Goemon's movie came out, i swear i can always tell you apart

The rules of French language.

Why does Koike's villians always end up losing an arm?

Here, listen to this and you'll never forget it again.
Repeat how he says it and you'll get it right.

youtube.com/watch?v=HvMnufsONpM

yeah I noticed the thread and had to reply.

Italian Lupin music is fucking garbage. it doesnt even fit the shows. it sounds like shit. who the fuck would ever replace Yuji Ohno's amazing music. Also it's Lu-Pan not Lu-Pen you fucking casual.

Ah, Sup Forums still bitching about italian OPs, some things never change.

>The only people who call hum that are spaghetti eaters.
Bruh.

Also:

>fucking casual

Oh my sides

PER LUI NULLA DI IMPOSSIBILE C'ÈÈÈÈÈÈÈ

the French call him Lupon though. what you mean.They dont call him Lupen like the spagetti eaters.

It's bad if the original music is considered some of the absolute best of all time. Why settle for a day old McDonalds Burger when you could have a fresh burger at a 5 star Burger joint. Makes no sense.

Sempre molto audace questo è, Lupin!

Japs don't pronounce English names right, why the fuck should I?

The most important part of communication is being understood by the person you're communicating with. How I pronounce Lupin only matters if you're confused by what I'm saying.

t. someone who says it differently every time

This is someone who can't speak properly. How about stop being a lazy uncultured retard and take the time to pronounce someones name right.

>Japs don't pronounce English names right, why the fuck should I?

That's because they are usually incapable of doing so, not because of ignorance or stubbornness.

This is racist

Okay but the thing is that languages evolve. Loanwords are adopted from other languages and their pronunciations change to fit the phonemic structure of the speaker. By your logic a huge number of English speakers pronounce their own names incorrectly. Hell, by your logic every English word of French origin is being mispronounced constantly since we pronounce final consonants and they don't.

Remus Lupin is an English name with French roots. Arsene Lupin is a French name. You don't pronounce an English name with a French accent unless you're either a pretentious asshole, and/or French.

as facts usually are

Most English speakers are incapable of pronouncing らりるれろ correctly without practice, it just happens mate.

>wanting to respect the origins of someones name makes you a pretentious prick
why the fuck is is so difficult for retards to just say the name right. It's called being polite.

I'll pronounce your name however the fuck I want, and you'll just have to deal.

its Kimi no Na wa, not your name, you fucking piece of shit.

It's not difficult. It just doesn't matter.

>It's called being polite.
That's complete bullshit. Foreigners never pronounce names right and no one gives a shit.

>Foreigners never pronounce names right and no one gives a shit.
you must live in a shitty country then filled with assholes.

>rare lupin thread
>it's just a bunch of autists arguing about pronunciation and flinging shit at each other

there was a Lupin thread a few hours before this. You missed it. This thread is juts to let people know that they are pronouncing Lupin's name wrong. We can have a regular thread tomorrow.

>By your logic a huge number of English speakers pronounce their own names incorrectly
Yes, so?
>mfw people named "Lacroix" pronounce it "lacroy"

I think black jacket was a one shot, but if it is acknowledged then i want the white jacket too

Black jacket wasnt even official yet they promoted it as if it was.

Also white jacket doesnt count because no tie.

iirc it was a reference to the first live action movie

Not that many good shot of him on the internet, i should rewatch the movie, it is one of my fav

isnt that from gemini? thats considered one of the worst movies. its biggest positive was all the fujiko nudity

>thats considered one of the worst movies

well not by me it seems.

Pepsi Boddle
A coca cola Gloss
i dont give a damn

Detroit

French here.
It is NOT pronounced "lupan"/"lupen"/"lupon" AT ALL.
It IS pronounced "lu-pain".

There is no such thing as a "correct" pronunciation of a word, there is merely how its pronounced in practice.

Karaoke is pronounced kar-ee-oh-kee in English, and in English that's correct because it's the actual pronunciation of the English loan word used by actual English speakers. The pronunciation of カラオケ doesn't matter. ハンバーガー isn't incorrect either even though it's miles from English or German.

Linguistic prescriptivism is always bullshit.

Swapping a French pronunciation for another French pronunciation doesn't really help much. The way you're putting it makes it sound like the second syllable is pronounced like the English world used to describe the sensation you experience when an anvil falls on your pinky toe, which is, of course, not the case.

oh hello mr discotek pr man how are you today