Do you consider this to be accurate, Sup Forums? Are these really the essentials of the genre from '70 to 2000?

Do you consider this to be accurate, Sup Forums? Are these really the essentials of the genre from '70 to 2000?

Looks like a pretty solid list.

Most lists like these are full of memes but that looks accurate, at least in the sense of the most essential show that year.

If you did 2000 and onward, it would start getting a lot more divisive.

That chart is pretty decent, but it's much too heavy on World Masterpiece Theater titles - not that they're bad (I like 3000 Leagues, Remi. and FBC especially) but they're not so wonderful that you need to see more than a few.

Kind of lacks Belladonna, Angel's Egg and Lain for me, but besides that it's pretty cool.

There is one. Sadly my version is all in markings and I didn't save a clean one.

Post it anyway

did i not see legend of overfiend?

that belongs

Does Sup Forums have good taste?

anime is not a genre

Medium, sue me. It's like 3am over here.

We can sometimes make nice charts.

god 2012 was a shitty year

Anime didn't get good until 1989

now that's a low quality bait

How are you defining "essential"? Is it "stuff I like"?

Does anyone have that viewing guide from /lit/?

You got what you wanted.

I'd like to call this bait, but I'm pretty sure Sup Forums's taste really is this bad.

I'd put in the running:
>1980 Space Runaway Ideon
>1981 Dr Slump
>1983 Mahou no Tenshi Creamy Mami (at least one of the Pierrot magical girl shows seems important)
>1983 Captain Tsubasa
>1986 Saint Seiya
>1989 Ranma 1/2
>1995 Slayers
>1998 Serial Experiments Lain

Is 3000 Leagues really that important? Nobody's Boy? Takarajima? Sarah? Peter Pan? My Daddy Long Legs? Too many WMT shows. Heidi and Anne seems like the two most important ones.

I haven't seen Touch/Maison/Orange Road but they seem fairly similar, cut down to the most iconic of them?

I'd disagree about some of it.

The '70s really needs Gatchaman, and either Getter Robo or Mazinger Z (need some pre-Gundam mecha). I'd make an argument for Cutie Honey, too, since it was a major influence on Sailor Moon and subsequent magical girl series. As others have said, you could probably get by with just one or two of the WMT shows as far as "essentials" go.

The '80s look reasonably solid, except for the notable absence of Space Runaway Ideon (and maybe Zeta Gundam, but if I'm choosing between those two, it's Ideon the whole way).

The '90s are frankly a mess. Yes, it was a decade largelly defined by OVAs, but there's still the glaring omission of Ranma 1/2, for starters, and the inclusion of a couple of shows which, while great, are far more popular in the west than in Japan, and therefore have had next to zero influence on the medium as a whole. I think Cowboy Bebop justifies inclusion despite this, but Big O doesn't, IMO. Lain and Nadesico deserve to be up there. Initial D also needs to be included, and one could make a strong argument for Kare Kano, as well. Maybe even To Heart, since it was the first (AFAIK) notable TV adaptation of a VN.

You could just make a chart of all fully subbed 70s anime and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Replace Turn A with G Gundam.

Needs LoGH. It aired on tv didn't It?

Nope, OVA.

Crossed off means that i have watched it.

How am i doing?

How was LoGH distributed back then?

Only skippable ones are Cobra, Fist of the North Star, Votoms, Orange Road, Peter Pan, Nadia, Daddy Long Legs, Crest of the Stars and Big O

Fuck off. G is the worst entry in the franchise, and does not belong on a serious list.

On VHS/Betamax tape, just like other OVA, I'm assuming. Admittedly, I don't think I've ever heard of any other OVA running that long.

Actually, I was half wrong, anyway. Although it was originally released as an OVA, wiki says it did air on TV eventually.

OP might not think that counts, though, since it wasn't made for TV.

>Hokuto no Ken
>not essential
You can't be serious.

Among '80s anime, it's every bit as essential as UY, DB, and Macross.

This. The only (pre-2000) Gundams aside from the original that belong on a serious list are Zeta, Wing, and Turn A.

>Wing

Films also eventually air on tv. It's about the release.

>hating Wing

Needs Berserk.

Im a huge gundam fan, but i have to admit that wing is not good.

This is how gundam is:
Aside from Turn A, every single entry in the AU is bad. UC has a few bad/mediocre entries as well, but it also has all the good shows.

This is basicaly cgdct list