An anime series is better than any western series in history

>an anime series is better than any western series in history

How does that make you feel Sup Forums? Have you swallowed the Monster pill yet? Every frame of this anime is pure, uncompromising kino.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AE9qPRIt1vU
youtube.com/watch?v=qhPGbr51jfc
youtube.com/watch?v=PLBrkLGO2T0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yeah it's pretty gud

I only read the mango but I loved it.

Apparently Del Toro tried to pitch a live action version to HBO but they turned him down. Sad

its good
a good anime for people who dont like anime shit

I watched like 20 episodes and gave up. Nothing happens and the villian is literally some kids edgy fanfiction fantasy

This. Nothing happens: the anime

Anons

Why is this scene so Kino ?

youtube.com/watch?v=AE9qPRIt1vU

>50 episodes of the smae fucking flashback and filler
I liked the first 24 episodes or so but it really started to fucking drag after that

Found the plebs

thankfully he hasn't given up yet, if there's anyone who would faithfully adapt an anime to live action it would be a weeaboo like Del Toro.

It also works really well as a live action series, except for the crossdressing scene

my ex bought it for me on dvd, but i havnt given it a chance

should i watch it or is it a waste of time?

the show had the same creepy vibe true detective season 1 gave me, and i love that shit
this song for example

youtube.com/watch?v=qhPGbr51jfc

it drags on a bit, but if you can stand the amount of episodes I'd say watch the whole thing.

Del Toro always "pitches" shit but never delivers.
It's always the producers holding him down, or so they say, but honestly I just think the man is either lazy or doesn't fighgt for what he wants to create.

Literally The Fugitive: Anime Edition with some weird shit thrown in here and there.

If you enjoy shows like The X Files and such, where most episodes are standalone, and you're OK with that, you'll probably enjoy this as well.

You can make millions without your ideas actually getting made into a movie or TV show.
I guess GDT is fine with that.

Absolutely horrendous cunt

Best character

>monster
>good
it was decent but lets not kid ourselves, its filled with fucking fillers you could entirely skip and lose nothing

First 20 episodes are shit from what I remember, gets good when they introduce the blind old guy and then it keeps getting better.

Tried watching it again recently though and stopped on episode 2 I think. How does Johan poison the doctors? Makes no sense whatsoever

>How does Johan poison the doctors? Makes no sense whatsoever

Pretty sure Lunge tells Tenma that the poison could be found in a certain medicine, it's not too implausible for psycho savant Johan to find a syringe.

I thought this show was great but then it started getting too fillery in the middle so I stopped watching

Read the manga

out of 70 eps there's maybe 10 good ones... the rest is boring fillers

And nobody saw him moving around the hospital? That's bullshit. Also how does he reseal the bag?

The Wire is better
Also
>Monster
It's not even Urusawa's best work, nor is it the best anime ever, since that's the title that LOGH already acquired before Monster was even in the making.

>boring filler
It's called character development, faggot.

Well it's fucking named "monster"

Did you expect the villain to not be edgy?

>It's called character development

This is very true, Monster had great character development. You can't deny the show really slowed down at certain points though.

The villain is the weakest part of the show, but something does happen, you're just a fucking pleb that can't appreciate a slow show with actual character development in it. I bet you'd say nothing happens in LOGH, just because the large portion of the show is about characters conversing about life and such themes, instead of "muh action!".

I read the mango

Prefer Pluto desu

The manga is better paced overall better, so you did good.

There was nothing particularly impressive about this series unless you consider the fact that most other anime are complete trash. Speaks volumes more about the medium than anything else.

Also 20th Century Boys was utter shit and only emphasized all the flaws Monster had.

It was shit though, the ending killed it
It's like a Stephen King ending
Or any author that can't end shit properly

I fucking hate the ending. Only thing i don't like about it.

Tenma doesn't have to make a hard desicion because LITERALLY WHO comes and shots Johan. For fucks sake.

After like 70 eps of build up i just wanted tenma face to face with johan. Not any other bullshit, just the two of them. I would have been fine if tenma had shot johan and then decided to save him by operating. Just one small change would have made it at least an ok ending.

>He doesn't like Anime/Manga

Wew lads, you don't know what you are missing.

What? The first episodes of LOGH is nothing but a clusterfuck battle

Pluto was better.

I enjoyed the bleak atmosphere established by having the MC stuck in an country that is alien to him, and the tension created by his pursuit by the authorities. Gave a kind of "Lost in Translation" vibe, but I found the story got really boring really fast.

I'm talking about it as a whole. It has a solid amount of action scenes, but they're brief and the dialogue between various characters is the dominant part of the show as is the whole political aspect.

How does it feel being 15?

Cartoons are for children

Tenma has to choose between saving Johan or letting him die, but it was bullshit nonetheless.

>tfw I dropped it because it was literally edgy kid shit

Fucking This.

>First 20 episodes are shit from what I remember, gets good when..........

Fucking moron.

Isn't this like 400 episodes or something?
Nigga I don't have that kind of time.

also a good redpill for /r/asianmasculinity

no it's only like 70 I think

Whole series takes the same time to watch as two GoT seasons. It's not that long.

Monster is legitimately overrated shit. It gets praised a lot because it's one of the few mystery/drama anime that is actually well grounded and presents itself as something to be taken seriously.

At it's core though it's a morally simplistic soap opera style narrative and doesn't have the depth to compare with actually great TV kino, and I wouldn't even put it near the top of quality anime in general. Urusawa is naive as a writer and has a sophomoric world view with little insight into much beyond what you'd see in a Michal Moore documentary.

what are the essential episodes? I loved how it started out but could never finish it due the slow pacing and the filler

>friend tells me to watch this
>watch like five episodes
>tell him I'm not liking it so far
>he tells me it gets good halfway through
>it's 74 fucking episodes long

>mfw the inevitable western adaptation

read the manga, it's a quick read.

Good call.

Will there ever be a character as charismatic as Johan youtube.com/watch?v=PLBrkLGO2T0

>The villain is the weakest part of the show
This!

I fucking hated that Gary Stu and his nonsensical aims.

ITT

he want destruction

you dirty plebs
Nothing suggest he is even evil or has anything. The more you go back to his origins, the more you find out there was nothing to kickstart his intents until the very last moment of the show. And it all comes down to one thing, why is he doing anything? Even with the explanation for his mother corrupting him, it makes no sense initially
The answer is that he's trying to get someone to kill him. Because he's bored and above humanity. Like he says, he's just messing with the line of ants to see what happens. Humanity bores him. Creating chaos is interesting to him because he sees no purpose in life. Johan attained the top at a very young age and felt that there was nothing more to life. He had his own criminal underground organization of money laundry. He learned multiple languages. He traveled the world. He understands human nature perfect. To Johan, there is nothing left to do.

Because of this, he sees only the cruel and ugly nature of humans. He only sees the world as being ugly. So he figured out a way to make the world pretty. To do so, he would fight fate and destiny itself.
One of the key aspects of Johan that you need to pay attention is whenever he talks to children. He is very open about his true feelings and what he thinks to children much more than adult. This is because Johan feels he never really became an adult.

In one episode, he tells children to go fight on the roof. To both stare at each other and tempt fate. If one falls, then you defeated 'his' fate. And once you succeed, you see the world differently. That kid that fell and the kid that won both saw the world in a different light. Essentially, this is what Johan does. He temps and fights fate by trying to see if he can make people try and kill him.

This is essentially why he went to kill that person in front of Tenma at the beginning of the show, 10 years after the operation. Simply to tempt Tenma to spend his life searching him. Johan would have continued that game of cat and mouse, to tempt fate, but unlocking his past memories made him change his tune.
This is also why he went to see his sister on her 20th birthday. He had absolutely no reason to do that but he did it just to fuck with her.

Johan seeks joy in seeing if he can fuck with a person so badly that he can corner himself with that person, then use as little energy as possible to get out of the situation.
He's playing the biggest game of dare imaginable. This is why he points at his forehead.

And the brilliance of this is that no one can understand this about him. Even the characters in the show never figure it out. Johan is essentially lying completely by making it seem as though he has motives or passions or connections when he absolutely doesn't. The Nazi think he even loves his sister when he doesn't. The only reason he cares and protects her is simply to make sure she can corner him to see if he can get out of cornering himself.

Johan simply lies and lies the entire time.
It's the whole ''the monster inside of me is growing'' bit that shows that insight.
He's fucking with people so they can seek him out. Like the psychologist explained, psychopath love to taunt people into thinking there is something they can't control and Johan does this the entire time.
Johan's past becomes the drive for wanting to seek and stop him and he's letting everyone try and find him by purposefully leaving as little clues as possible.

And so we come to the ending.
The brilliance of the ending of Monster is that Johan is doing the opposite of what he's been doing with people. After he finds out about his mother's past, he understand that he finally has a purpose in life.

When Johan is wearing a wig, dressed as his sister, and is talking to the kid who later went to the Red light district, Johan is talking about life being meaningless, not having a place in the world and not being wanted, Johan is talking to himself about himself. That's how he sees himself, meaningless, like the world as a whole, to him.

So, in the end, Johan creates a perfect scenario that leaves a village killing itself and forces Tenma's hand to kill. Unlike in the past where Johan was playing with fate to see how far he could go before getting caught, Johan is testing to see if he can plan a perfect suicide and wonder if fate can save him somehow.

And as it turns out, it happened. Something outside of Johan's calculation ironically saves his life, with Tenma saving him.

So by the end, Tenma figures out everything about Johan through his mother and understands the way Johan was born and thinks he understands everything. And that's where Johan reveals the bomb that it was all because of his mother. He was never evil, it was all his mother's fault.

Because of that doubt, Tenma doesn't know if Johan is evil or it's really all because of his mother's impossible decision. The genius is that Johan is again lying. He's creating a fake explanation for his actions, just like 511 and the Rose Mansion. They're all just bullshit explanation for Johan to put doubt in Tenma's head so that he can run away.

And, in the end, we see Johan's bed empty. Johan is off to get more people to try and kill him to start the process all over again. No matter how many times you try, evil's still out there.

pls be pasta
because i may fall in love with this Johan-tier user

yea it's pasta but we should always bring that out when fuckers hate on Johan

johan is a bitch

okay, i may not love you but i am sure i like you

Don't make me laugh. I liked Monster, but it's a parody of western TV series.

Its aight

Takes one to know one.

>Every frame of this anime is pure, uncompromising kino.
Lol no
There's a shitload of meh frames in this anime

>fucking fillers
Fuck off, retard
There's no fillers in Monster
Kill yourself

tbf she was raised to be a cunt so it's not all her fault
she gets some of the best character development in the series

This advice is bullshit
If you want to watch the anime do so since the anime is almost a shot per shot recreation of the manga anyway

It definitely is Urasawa's best work you idiot
Also before you say 20th CB that series is dogshit

>anime series
The manga is better though?

>hating on Johan
Fags

>It definitely is Urasawa's best work you idiot
Pluto exists though.

Go back to your Death Note, kid

Your friend should dump you

it's boring and it cut too many corners in the production department, not worth watching at all

>Even with the explanation for his mother corrupting him, it makes no sense initially
It makes perfect sense
The fact that his bitch of a mother was so obsessed with revenge and the fact that she gave one of her kids away screwed him up completely as the final scene in the show reveals

>An edgy Astroboy remake
>better than Monster

The writing is decent for anime but it doesn't really have anything else going for it.

>it cut too many corners in the production department
Bullshit
It looks better than most anime today

>it doesn't really have anything else going for it.
>The animation in it is better than most of the shit nowadays even though it's not a series which lends itself to animation very well(doesn't have much action/movement)
>The soundtrack is phenomenal
>The voice acting is phenomenal
>Doesn't have anything else going for it
Shut the fuck up, retard

You're welcome to believe that but I sure don't

I can tell you haven't watched anime in the past decade.

That's because you're a fag

Modern Anime has shit animation

Monster is a manga you fucking degenarate

overrated shit

But why did Johan kill his foster parents and try to get Nina to shoot him when they were kids?

Forgive me for not contributing but, which one will leave the most "impact", the Anime or Manga?