Slayers

I remember watching Slayers dubbed on video tape like fifteen years ago as a kid and loving it. Does it hold up or am I remembering it through rose-colored lenses?

Is The Slayers Revolution any good, and should I go back and watch the whole show again before I watch it?

Amelia was my first fictional crush.

Slayers Next > Second half of Slayers > Slayers Try > First Half of Slayers > Any episode of Slayers Revolution containing Weiser > Slayers OVAs and Movies > Slayers Evolution-R > Slayers Revolution episodes without Weiser.

>generally better than the OVAs/movies
Good enough for me!

Its still decent. Kinda sucks until Naga shows up though.

It's shit but you can watch it regardless if you want more slayers.

>Naga shows up
Oh boy. Does it confirm Naga is Amelia's sister?

Because if so, I've been waiting for this shit since I was fourteen years old. I'mma be thirty this year. Jesus Christ.

Nice blog.

The OVA's and movies were great. I'd put them over Try desu.

I want to fuck Filia.

I rewatched Slayers recently and enjoyed it even more than when I first watched it as a teenager twenty years ago.

Revolution was a disappointment for me, but still worth watching if you finish the other series and need more Slayers. I preferred Evolution-R because of the focus on Zel's backstory. The manga for both is better than the anime.

I'm still in love with Amelia. I wish she and Zel could get their own spinoff together.

Revolution was awful.

It's okay, it's just EXTREMELY 90s.

Yeah. I just needed something to fill that empty feeling I got after finishing Try.

I don't know why Revo ended up so terrible when they brought back a lot of the same staff from the earlier series.

>it's just EXTREMELY the best era of anime so far

>t. Someone who watched the series before the ovas/movies

S1 was pretty good, S2 had a noticeable downgrade in quality and I got bored of it halfway through.

I just finished marathoning the first two seasons. I've heard TRY is where the show turns to shit, is it still worth watching?

Also Xellos is best girl.

I liked Try, it's just not as good as the previous seasons, the shitty filler in the second half being one big reason why. Still worth a watch.

Is it worse than the filler of the first two seasons? I honestly loved the filler in those more than the serious arcs.

Try is pretty divisive. It was my favorite season though, with Xeloss' true face coming out and the stakes being properly raised for the last time, something Revo and Evo-R don't do. It does suffer a bit from some lame recurring jokes though.

There are a few filler episodes after the climax of the first cour that seem really out of place next to the rest of the season. I liked the filler in the first two seasons too, but Try's felt more like they were trying to kill time because they ran out of ideas to fill the episodes before the second climax.

Revolution and Evolution R definitely aren't as good as Original Next and Try, but it's still an enjoyable watch. Just like Try wasn't as good as Next but still enjoyable.
And you should watch them if you want to read what's translated of the novel and understand all the story. Novel is translated from when the anime stops till the end. Try wasn't from the novels but Revolution R is.

Slayers is a great series but these days most of it's own fans talk bad about it because of Revolution R and people who didn't watch it/only a bit of it think it's automatically bad because it's "classic" or "generic" and would rather watch a current airing show either because they can't watch "old anime" or they're impatient people who can't watch a show that's 50+ episodes in total.

It'll probably get recognition it deserves again if they ever adapt the rest of the novel or adapt some other parts they didn't yet, or when Kanzaka or Hayashibara dies.

Try's main story gets much darker than the previous' seasons, which makes the episodic stuff between it and the actual conclusion feel really out of place.

Can they just be skipped then without missing anything?

When Megumi dies, that'll finish off any chances for more Slayers anime because she is synonymous with Lina Inverse by now.

I'm still holding out hope for more manga spinoffs. I thought Hourglass of Falces was quite good save for the needless fan service. I'd also like to see Kanzaka authorize other authors to write short stories or novels in the Slayers universe like he did with the 25th anniversary anthology.

Yes, they are completely self-contained and have no bearing on the rest of the series. Although I enjoyed this one as an Amelia fan.

>Can they just be skipped then without missing anything?
You won't miss out on story line, but they are fun to watch.

Nice legs!

Amelia's nice in all the right places.

Slayers Try was shit

Slayers>Next=Special=Motion Picture>Great>Try>Excellent>Gorgeous>Evo>Evo-R>Premium

I love Naga lads

And she is a good girl!

is slayers merch tough to find anons?

If the last time you watched it was 15 years ago then a rewatch will feel nice and refreshing. Revo definetly isn't as great as the earlier seasons, but it has its moments. If you love Slayers and love seeing the crew altogether then i recommend watching it.

I bought some Slayers doujinshi and the first season artbooks recently. Merchandise isn't as plentiful as it used to be, especially limited quantity stuff like cels, but there's still a lot of it around. I'm surprised that circles are still producing new Slayers doujins each Comiket.

>it's just EXTREMELY 90s.
that sounds better than ok

You can watch it if you want more Slayers, but don't expect anything decent. Read the LNs instead as they actually continue the plot without all of the stupid shit.

>Does it hold up or am I remembering it through rose-colored lenses?
You know you can find out for yourself, right? Or do you normally let others think for you?

Not just good, the best!

Slayers is one of my favorites. S1 and Next are both amazing. Especially Next, it has the best overall plot and characterization, and even the best filler.

Try isn't that bad, it's a ripoff because instead of continuing the novels it just advertised a way worse novel series by the same person. However, it has some of the coolest Xellos scenes ever, fillia is alright, and overall it was enjoyable. The major downside is that the filler happens all in one stretch rather than spread out. The episodes themselves arent the worst ever, they just appear in one 6 episode stretch for some god awful reason.

Revolution was a huge letdown. They STILL chose not to follow the novels precisely. It could have been so much more. That being said, it was nice to see everyone after such a long time, and there is some good stuff here and there. Also, the threads were great. Slayersfags are some of the nicest people here.

To me, objectively, I think Slayers is a 6.5 or a 7, on a real 1-10 scale with 5 being average. But it is the king of the average. The ten of sixes.

Yeah, Wizer was one of the better parts of Revolution. If only that fucking stuffed animal wasn't there to shit up the series.

Holy shit. I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone rank stuff that I actually agree with 100%. It's nice to finally see that there's someone else out there who's just as autistic as I am.

I can't get enough of Slayers.