IT'S OVER

Intel has officially shit the bed.

>A fatal security flaw has been exposed in Intel processors
>Intel took shortcuts and sacrificed security for speed for decades
>Windows/Mac/Linux will soon roll out updates that will fix the security flaw, but will impact performance by upwards of 30%
>Intel's CEO has sold a massive chunk of his private stock in preparation for the assfucking Intel will receive when this situation becomes known to the mainstream

IF YOU HAVE AN INTEL BRAND CPU IN YOUR COMPUTER, YOU ARE AFFECTED. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW OLD.

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
google.com/search?q=intel stocks&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS768US768&oq=intel stocks&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1288j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
youtube.com/watch?v=0iNPimbZVBQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>intel wanted to have a monopoly
>they make their chips fast AF, nobody can figure out how
>nobody knew they were purposefully making insecure products that went faster
>amd played by the rules and still managed to compete with intel for all these years
>now intel has been found out, they are in full damage control
>ceo has sold off $11 million worth of his PERSONAL stock (not options), and only has the bare minimum required to stay CEO

holy shit

good think i switched to amd when the rolled out the new ryzen series of processors.

ryzen 5 is better than i5 (before path holy shit) and atleast 60-80 cheaper

Source?

He sold the stocks on November 29 and this shit was apparently known since November 14.
Watch him NOT get arrested for insider trading because he's one of ((((them))).

>intel wanted to have a monopoly
>they make their chips fast AF, nobody can figure out how
>nobody knew they were purposefully making insecure products that went faster

Of course the Israeli company does all this shit

DELID

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

>owning a PC
Mobile is the future.

Hmmmm Wonder how many suicides shall become of this?

>unironically believing AMD isn't also compromised
wew

Well Sup Forums, whats the most secure computer setup?

Its scummy, but even public ms updates have had the fix since november, sooo

Red flag only.

>mfw I've had AMD for over ten years

Ti 84

AMD master race. Also, just remembered I built a pc for my EX with an I7 in it that she insisted in having because it was a better brand.
Karma is a bitch roastie! I wasn’t good enough, AMD wasn’t good enough, BTFO!

Welp, Emulation just slid back 10 years

Not for speed you fucking moron. User space applications have no business prefetching data from the kernel side of the pagetable. Preventing this comes at no cost of performance at all if you fix the prefetcher in hardware. The performance hit is due to the workaround creating two separate pagetables for kernel and userspace and the CPU having to rewrite them with every context switch.

Of a the shit Intel pulled, this wasn't intentional. It will cost them billions of their precious shekels.

Hopefully the christcuck goyim forget about all this. Think of all those h1bs they probably brought here

>January 2017
>was gonna buy AMD
>Settle for i7-7700k because it was on sale
>mfw

Good thing I picked a Ryzen 5 1600, intel boards and processors were fucking overpriced compared to it anyway in similar performance ranges

Redpill me on tails OS and Arduino Sup Forums

So basically Intel performance is on par with AMD now?

Same, the thing came more powerful than I thought. It's a bargain.

Fuck should I buy AMD stock?

You bought a housefire

Any idea on who discovered the flaw?

basically thats exactly what's going to happen

Inb4 Nvidia has also been employing the same shit tactics

Oy vey

The goyim know

Shut down the pc

I worked for Intel, terrible environment, the epicenter of SJW culture in the corporate world, not surprised in the least.

yes

Intel is about to enter Seagate 2009 territory, AMD being WD about to Rise like a phoenix

We'll find out after the embargo is lifted

This has been known for 10 years. By that I mean we all knew it but it wasn't official like it is now. It was designed that way to provide a back door for the government and so your encrypted files can easily be broken.
Ya'all haven't been paying attention.

>AMD claims they are unaffected
>VMs running on AMD hardware are pwned by this exploit
>suddenly AMD has cloud and hosting providers up their ass and they're being sued for $9001 gorillion dollars
Yeah, nah.

What if I don't install the patch that slows my computer down?
Will I get hacked?

Explain this to me like I still rent video tapes from Blockbuster.

Good thing I upgraded from Intel into AMD years ago.
Also, INVEST INTO INTEL NOW!!!!

>November 2016
>Got i7600k

Boy.

S E E T H I N G

Redpill me on tails OS and Arduino Sup Forums

Or should I go Pentium?

What's the most secure shitposting machine?

>he thinks he's secure on Ryzen

I did, this morning. The real volatility will hit when the embargo is lifted, somebody makes a fancy webpage about it (like they did for KRACK), and every CTO in the world sees it.

Cell Processor masterrace

And this is why you dont trust Jews.
You all deserve this.

I have to believe it's about speed, because I can't think of any other good reason to leave this check out, and I have to think someone would have caught this since it seems to affect architectures as far back as the Pentium Pro.

Bullshit. This is the psyop to agreeing to the back door.

arm64 might have a real chance at pushing into the laptop market after this. risc is always preferable to cisc architectures. simplicity is the mother of security when it comes to computers.

quick let's ask Sup Forums and /diy/ to get together and make the next gen CPU

it will be some 1 core travesty that can only run a browser and old school runescape

"They (Intel) have insurance plans in place to handle these issues and although general operating practice is to wait for a class action suit and settle it in a fashion that pays a lawyer $100 million and gives $5 coupons to anyone who fills out a 30 page form, Amazon, Google and Microsoft have deals in place with Intel which say “Treat us nice or we’ll build our next batch of servers on AMD or Qualcomm."

forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

>Also, INVEST INTO INTEL NOW!!!!
wut

>This has been known for 10 years. By that I mean we all knew it but it wasn't official like it is now. It was designed that way to provide a back door for the government and so your encrypted files can easily be broken.

this

lol

good question.propbably a good idea

>Intel's CEO has sold a massive chunk of his private stock
Sounds illegal desu, insider information and all that.

For real?
If that's the case can the NSA/CIA be named in a class-action lawsuit?

(not really srs)

TOPKEK

They all laughed when I went AMD

Nope, AMD is ahead in the Server market.
Intel was always going to be destroyed by AMD infinity Fabric.

They have no way to retaliate against AMD.

Fake news.
google.com/search?q=intel stocks&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS768US768&oq=intel stocks&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1288j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'd unironically be okay with this

I bought it for the performance to price ratio, also because AM4 motherboards are a shit ton cheaper. If Intel is compromised and they're going to have to cut back performance with a firmware update, then there'd be no reason to buy an intel especially now but also in hindsight

The normies don't know this yet, you faggy brainlet.

The clock is counting down. It can't be covered up for much longer.

I made an 80 Mhz, 1 IPC, RISC cpu in college

Does that count?

how exactly does it affects me and why should I care
fucking tinfoil hat autists

EVERYONE TO THE MEME BATTLE STATIONS

-30% perfomance

Been using Interl for 10+ years and everything was fine. But now I'm supposed to be mad or scared? Lmao, AMDcucks are going to be on suicide watch once again when this shit turns out to be nothing.

>mfw core 2 duo
bye bye . Maybe it's time to upgrade my hardware.

why is their stock unaffected?

kek, if Sup Forums is involved it will be an underage anime figure that you put on a shelf and jack off to. Sup Forums doesn't know shit about technology, sadly. it's the most useless board on 4chins unless you're looking for pictures of a weeb's new led lined mousepad or some other gay jew shit.

Israel is the most successful Intel chip designer
>It's just cheap sand nigger manufacturing factories, USA is the real mastermind here
Intel chips go bad due to design flaws
>Jews are responsible

BTFO
T
F
O

Are you retarded?

Intel bulldozer is the only AMD hardware that doesn’t have hardware level backdoors. The NSA and 1996 telecom communications act fored these companies to put backdoors into their products. Intel creates puesdo random encryption curves so all encryption can be broken easy af same with AMD.

>theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

The fix is to separate the kernel's memory completely from user processes using what's called Kernel Page Table Isolation, or KPTI. At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers.

>have AMD
>always used AMD
Get fucked

>tfw AMD since my first build

>tfw i just built a new PC in October with Intel/Nvidia
I'm going to suicide bomb Intel and Nvidia if they fuck me too

For the average consumer, probably. But then again, probably not. The performance hit comes from a process switching contexts, basically when a program has to run a syscall, which happens a fucking lot with I/O such as disk access, networking, sending data to/from the GPU, etc. Gaming will likely take a major hit, and so will disk or network heavy activity, and for servers, virtualization, database operations, all kinds of shit will take a real performance hit, somewhere in the 30% range. Let's put it this way, AMD's 16-core Threadripper is only behind Intel's 18-core Core i9 by an average of about 15% performance across the board. Same for the 8700k vs. the 1800X, and AMD's EPYC processors outright beat Intel processors in workloads they're suited for, which is most of them since servers tend to like more cores. This is going to take Intel back to Sandy Bridge levels of performance, maybe further.

Who gives a fuck. If someone wants to hack into my computer and steal my oh so precious files lol.

Do you morons actually have files you consider super important? If you do are they not backed up on DVD or something? The fuck is wrong with you?

What are you doing that your so afraid of a hacker being able to get in?

It's not like a car jacking where there is a chance of injury. It's some day with another computer fucking with yours.

Like just pull the plug dumbass lol.

>oh noes they got muh files!!!

Lol. Ur gay

Ryzen and Threadripper are the way to go

does this affect intel centrino

It's not a simple check. Prefetching in modern processors is incredibly complex and the guesses as to what's actually happening are rough at best. They overlooked some odd condition. That it took years to discover it isn't surprising. There are most likely a few more flaws of this magnitude around that just haven't been discovered yet.

Again, the kernel side of the page table is irrelevant for user space applications. Allowing a user space application to prefetch from there does nothing to increase performance. The "check" you think of is nothing more than blocking an intersection that your route doesn't require, it makes no difference for the endresult.

Advanced
Meme
Distributors

Fuck yeah! So glad I built with AMD.
Sucks for those who have bought overpriced junk.

CNN HASNT REPORTED IT YET

bruh what are you smoking

You don't even have to use the hardware RNG in your encryption algorithm, and Bulldozer wasn't even being developed in 1996.

If you use Windows or Mac OS, make sure to apply your security updates when they arrive. Unless your computer use involves consistently stressing your CPU, you won't notice much.

This is a big deal because CPU power = pure revenue for large enterprise (((cloud computing))) providers like Amazon, Microsoft, and Google. They WILL throw a fit because it has a massive impact on their finances.

I mean, who would continue to pay $X a month for a VPS that is only 70% as powerful as it was last month? I bet their PR teams are in overdrive right now

>access to personal identity and bank accounts

Go play candy crush you fucking normie pleb

Oh fuck how will the largest microchip manufacturer in history recover from this minor setback?

Amd stock is about to explode when opens

youtube.com/watch?v=0iNPimbZVBQ

>Mac
Normies

They're up 7% today and this news is just barely making it into Twitter and Y Combinator.

Stay mad, intelboi

Haпихaли тepмoкoнчи вмecтo пpaвocлaвнoгo пpипoя пoд кpышкy, a oн и paд

This is so fresh that the mainstream outlets haven't caught wind of it yet. Your average investor will probably find out in the morning.

>What if I don't install the patch that slows my computer down?
>Will I get hacked?
>Explain this to me like I still rent video tapes from Blockbuster.

you are only at risk if you keep your fax machine online

market is closed you fucking moron.
Check back at 930am EST

fug I just got an i7 7700K how fucked am I? I refuse to update win 10

get a job cunt

The market hasn’t opened yet

False. This vulnerability alone, while serious, doesn't actually do a whole lot in terms of security. You still require some other exploit to actually do anything with the kernel memory addresses once you get them.