Well, this was a gigantic pile of shit

Well, this was a gigantic pile of shit.
What went wrong exactly?

It became a different show in the second half

Not enough of the Macross and the bad guys were shit.

Best girl didn't win, as per usual for Macross

Too many characters they ended up not doing anything with. Too much screen time wasted on windniggers.

the "war" was shit and didn't feel like a war, needed more episodes just traveling to different planets so more development could happen instead of cramming all the infodumping in the second half

Kawamori

Kawamori has issues with second halves, runs out of ideas often. Not like he's the only one to be fair.

Designed for one cour + one movie, stretched into two cour.

Freyja was best girl, retard.

Freyja is a slut

Freyja is a cute.

You misspelled cunt

The second half. Still great because broke the Macross tradition of worst girl winning.

Mirage a SHIT.

A CUTE.

Mirage is an ugly piece of shit.

How many Miragefags ended up killing themselves? Remember how the first maybe 3 episodes or so they were absolutely sure that Freyja would lose because of the past tropes in Macross?

God, I don't think there has been a more embarrassed fanbase for a girl in the last 10 years

While I was rooting for Freyja, I avoided getting invested on her relationship with Hayate given how those shows always pull the "no, I like the other girl better, bye" during the last five minutes of the last episodes, 50 episodes of building be damned.

Macross was never good to begin with

>Best girl won, as per usual for Macross
Fixed that typo for you family.

I'd like Freyja more if she didn't suffer from going WIND every two seconds and if SOMEONE that wasn't a windie commented on her actions in a negative light

Yeah.

Literally nothing.

Everything.

>This is shit
>Wait, what was it that made it shit?

Don't come to Sup Forums to get people to think for you.

The music in Macross is always good to begin with

the songs were good at least

Mikumo is a meme singer. All her solos are shit.

Kawamori went full retard and insulted Mirage until the series was ruined.

Waste of time and space.

They were right all along, along with the people shitting on windies "reasons" for war, and the critics of magic stupidity boosts.

Nah, meme songs only

I watched the whole thing just for Freyja

Mirage was the only waste of time and space.

Something named Freyja Wion
Pic: Show should have focused on her instead and it would have been a good Macross.

I don't understand Mirage-fags. When was she even given enough attention for anyone to form an attachment?

Not nearly enough Makina desu.

That's because you are not a real fan

Too many plot threads in general and too many plot threads that went completely unresolved. The plane fights were ruined by song magic. The love triangle was barely developed.

They forgot the Immelmann dance when that was one of its biggest selling points. It's like G Gundam if it forgot about martial arts in the second half. It doesn't help that Hayate is a shit MC and Mirage fucking Jenius was written off as pathetic cuck.

>best girl is fucking 3 years old

Hayate stopped dancing. Isn't the whole point for him to be jamming out to his waifu's tunes?

The first half was too fast, the second half was too slow.
They needed to pace it better.

That's... pretty much it. The pacing was absolutely fucked.

Even with the low standard when it comes to Macross MCs, Hayate was still incredibly boring.

Your taste being shit

Because the battles were focused on Dog fights. Not enough time for battroid or gerwalk

What went wrong? Not enough balls-to-the-wall fights to the death. The good guys were too relaxed (though not always!), and the bad guys were also good guys, just jerks. And not enough Robotech. It's like they started there, and then left for someplace else, which is a good explanation of what the characters actually did. Team Chaos should have pulled out a flight of Battlepods or Invid mecha at some point.
What went right? Team Macross couldn't stay out of trouble. There were several epic fights. Main characters and blink-and-you'll-miss-them b-characters got killed. Good reasons to send people into danger. They didn't let the cast narrow down into tunnel vision. There was a mopey love story, but it didn't overwhelm the war story. The windys took what little they had and plausibly used it to shake up the galaxy- with big help from implausibly convenient massive Haydonite flying buildings.
Oh, and in the wrong column, the explanation showed "the movie with the screwed up designs" version of Breetai and Exedore.

These are my wives

This. They were so obsessed with traditions and then they ended up getting BTFO.

How is that an excuse? Previous Macross shows have used all 3 modes regularly in battles. Is it really that hard to show Hayate dancing around that blond windnigger?

The big concert episode was also a plot dump episode, so some great performances got butchered with cutaways.

And the fact messer died for no reason since no one stepped up, delta squad was entirely useless except for hayate, and the idols took up way too much time in the second half. Just burned itself out.

For the romance in particular, not only did they make Mirage out to be some joke but they screwed up big time with the winning couple too. Hayate acted like an oblivious cunt nearly the entire time and his relationship with Freyja felt stagnated. They had obstacles like the short life span and the flakes which really could have made their relationship the best in all of Macross if the writers bothered having the two confront it. But nah, lifespan issue resolved in a few mins and Hayate never finds out about Freyja's flakes. It's a shame too because we could have had a touching moment like in Frontier episode 22.

THE WIND FEELS RESTLESS TONIGHT

Every fucking episode! Jesus christ.

Not enough Makina

I'm running out of ways to say that this went nowhere, did nothing with anything/everything it introduced early on, and did so very, very slowly, squandering the somewhat above average production… at least for the episodes that weren't 24 straight minutes of exposition. Not a single character had even the slightest bit of development over the entire six month run, the plot only 'advanced' through exposition and handwaving about things happening somewhere far away, and most of it was just to fill up some screentime anyway. Christ, you could've written Hayate out of the show entirely and literally nothing would've changed at all. This would've been a poorly paced three episode OVA. Not a single character was integral to the show, nor was anything that they did. So what was there to get involved with? What was there to root for?

About the only times it was palatable was when it was being willfully idiotic; overselling the idol fandom, shenanigans with the idiotic catseals, teenagers being the super bestest at absolutely everything. The story was tripe, the characters could've all been replaced by catseals without any loss of fidelity, and it even jettisoned the idol stuff for most of the second half. That's what I get for giving an idol show half a chance.

They pretty much ran out of budget. Just look at the last episode where they were in FAST pack, in one part there, they were shooting at NOTHING.