Can someone explain to me why this movie is held in such high regard...

Can someone explain to me why this movie is held in such high regard? Maybe it's because I watched it right after reading the manga, but I was completely disappointed. It looked and sounded nice, but the story was a rushed, shitty version of the manga with boring undeveloped characters and barely any explanation for anything that was going on.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z2mXrndt1ZI
youtu.be/HHRWZTJEPGA?t=23s
youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I actually enjoyed it for about 20 minutes (because it was exactly like the first chapter of the manga) but after that it just turned into garbage. I tried to like it but I just couldn't.

Because Major's tits are erected.

t. brainlet

t. projecting retard

Because it's pretentious garbage and weebs gain browny points if they say they enjoyed it.

Even 2017 GitS is better.

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. I saw it has 96% on rotten tomatoes and I just can't wrap my head around it

Stand Alone Complex is the best version of GitS. I imagine you'd like that a lot more.

The TV series is the only thing worth watching

So I take it the series' are better? I wanted to watch the films first but goddamn do I have a bad taste in my mouth after watching this

Where can I go to read this? Batoto is being a shit.

I really enjoyed it, I haven't gotten around to reading the manga yet though. Just the movies and SAC+2nd.

It just felt like more than the sum of its parts for me for whatever reason. I should rewatch it so I can explain better, I hate not being able to articulate why something made me feel a certain way. I didn't know it was a huge deal when I saw it though, so it definitely wasn't a desire to fit in.

MC has actual personality in the anime and everyone is fleshed out

>it looked and sounded nice

Yes it's because you watched it right after reading the manga. It looks nice? Its a masterpiece of animation, without even considering the context that it's over 20 years old. If you went in expecting the deep life changing philosophy like a lot of people do, you might be dissapointed.

I read it on kissmanga, I doubt it would be hard to find a torrent. As a warning it's read from left to right for English version, took me way too long to figure that out

It's the atmosphere the scenes give out. Can't really explain it better than that.

youtube.com/watch?v=z2mXrndt1ZI

A lesser director would stuff it full with dubstep and bwoooongs, like this:

youtu.be/HHRWZTJEPGA?t=23s

I don't know if this is just the trailer or the final movie is like this as well, but the first clip is a lot more immersive to me than the second.

Okay, it looked incredible. But I can't think of anything else I liked about it. I wasn't expecting a life-changing experience, but I was expecting it to be at least half as good as the manga.

I do agree with you there, the atmosphere was out of this world. Also that scene is the best part of the movie (probably because its just like the manga), it goes downhill after there for me.

As a side note, I also can't get over that the Chief looks like a normal old man instead of an ape. I dunno, maybe if I hadn't read it I wouldn't hate the movie so much.

elitism and circlejerking

that said, the manga and the anime series are also quite enjoyable. I'd recommend those as well.

Why is music in movies so terrible these days?
Only shitty horror movies have good music every now and then.

This might be an answer:
youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

It's for Marvel shit but it's applicable for other movies as well.

>being a Shirowpleb brainlet

It was revolutionary for its time and capitalized on a certain vision of the future that was in vogue.
In the time since it came out, there have been so many derivative works that many of the things that it did that were seen as groundbreaking are now common or even overused.
Whenever you look at old anime, you have to take into perspective the era in which it was created, the political, philosophical, and cultural issues of the time, as well as the animation technology and stylistic elements that were common when it was created.

I see, I'm as old as the movie so I can't truly appreciate it relative to it's time period, only relative to what I've seen. It did an alright job of showing off the world and setting but it didn't really have me in awe since I was already familiar with it all

100% this
What a mindfuck to have actually seen this in 1995

Remember, Deus Ex is considered a thematic masterpiece too, and it looks it like it was made with lego bricks for characters.

This.

I think I like every show I've seen on that image.

The difference is between liking them or basing your worldview off of them. That said, cyborg mercenaries when

I wish I had seen this and Akira when they first came out. I feel like I can't appreciate them since I watched them so much later.

It's one of the first anime people saw in 1996 or 1997, if not Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, or AKIRA. So it was easily impressive. Now try watching Oshii's filmography in order and you'll see all of his Oshii-isms reused constantly, so what someone thought was unique in GitS had already been done in Beautiful Dreamer, Twilight Q, or Patlabor 1.

>muh moe
Other than that this image is ok.

Is gateway anime for the cyberpunk genre. If you already familiar with the genre you're gonna get bored after 20 minutes.

Is a very well done movie but one should only recommend it to people who never played Shadowrun before.

I only recognize 2 of twose shows. Is that good or bad?

It was a sensation back then, if for nerds. Something amerifats (and basically anyone not-japanese) didn't know for shit. Consider that it was the time Sailor Moon went out, the fandom was born these days. It was like star Wars first came out, if only for some people. Hell, I personally watched it first in... I dunno, 2001? And why I wasn't mind-blown I did get immediately why people were trippin' balls back then.
Back then, no internet in most homes. Japan: here be dragons.

Also, while it's the brainlet/pretentious version compared to the manga (yes both, and no, I'm not referring to manmachine interface) it was a good movie. Too serious for its' own good, but that was Oshii becoming the (unwatchable) Oshii of today... while still coming out with an interesting movie, not just a techicnal masterpiece (which it was).

Actually, as an oldfag, the seriousness has played a interesting role. Not only it made the movie more acceaptable and showed that anime could be serious business (which relatively to the dying cyberpunk movement was VERY important. People wouldn't accept something crazier or more tongue in cheek as a gateway of sort; that was for kids, they needed the "adult" part), it kinda formed the western weaboo mindset for at least a decade.

Nowdays we have learned to stop worrying and love the loli and joking aside we wisely don't think anime is there to be, for a lack of better word, a mature medium in which at least the majority of things should be expected to be aesthetically rare and unheard of.
But for many years fandom clinged to the idea of anime execptionalism, and believe me, my young padawan, that wasn't a good idea.
Shit taste is EVERYTHING but a new idea. I'm not sure fandom nowdays isn't more stupid tp be fair, but at least weebs don't seem to take this shit, by default, as something it's not meant to be.
Which frankly is to me the only state of mind to find out when shit IS better than average and not deluding ourselves.

Holy fuck you need to learn to be more concise.

This thread has helped me appreciate the movie a little more from a historical standpoint. But I would honestly rather watch some moe slice of life or brainless shonen than submit myself to that movie again, I guess what I find enjoyable just doesn't align with this film.

Revolutionary? There's nothing too crazy new in it for late 1995 other than Oshii being deep about where and what consciousness are. It's more about being babby's first "future city and guns" anime that takes itself more seriously, and looks less cutesy, than Bubblegum Crisis. That and Armitage III could also be seen as too silly. It's brooding enough movie that fits perfectly for the mid 90s Black Hole Sun crowd.

Try SAC. It's actually more faithful to the manga, being OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE minus the more comical/satyrical/ecchi parts.

And it's possibly the only series Sup Forums as a whole doesn't shit on. Genuinely solid.

(actually for the SOL and to extent iyashikei aspect Shirow did Real Drive, oddly enough. Tough it's not exaclty K-On!)

Definitely gonna give it a watch. It's a shame they don't keep the humor from the manga, though I could understand why.

>I was expecting it to be half as good as the manga
There wasn't enough lesbian sex or other whacky antics for you?

The movies takes 90 minutes to ask the question "Does your physical being effect your spiritual being and how does changing your physical being effect this?" It also has some of the best mechanical animation in any media ever. (Not the whole thing but specific sequences like the tank-fight and the quality of background animation)

I think it's a masterpiece but I look at it through the context of where our society is headed technologically. A lot of the questions that it asked were only really thought about by geeky autists since the 90's but now that we're 10 years away from desirable augmentation we have to actually start asking these questions among the normalfags. I think the movie gains credibility every year about the philosophy of living in that kind of world.

But my opinion isn't law so I don't get asshurt when people don't enjoy it. You might be a pleb but doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong.

A joke or wisecrack here and there wouldn't have killed them. Mostly I just wanted any reason at all to care about anybody other than Kusanagi

>Can someone explain to me why this movie is held in such high regard?
Fucking incredible animation and art. The plot is solid whether you like it or not.

> with boring undeveloped characters and barely any explanation for anything that was going on.
Huh? Everything is explained pretty clearly as it's rolling along. I was just watching a bit of it earlier. You just have to pay attention to the conversations the characters are having.

>characters not fleshed out
The main focus is on the major. Batou gets a little characterization too, but the entire movie is about the major's internal struggle. She was pretty well fleshed out IMO.

They had an hour and 20 minutes. They decided to make a movie that focuses almost entirely on how Motoko feels about her humanity. You can't really flesh out all the characters in such a short timeframe without rushing the hell out of the movie.
I'd sorta compare that to Taxi Driver. The focus is all on the psyche of the main character and the other characters are not much more than props.

You both are right, I can't help but compare the story to the manga which is probably unfair to the film.

Stand Alone Complex is awesome.

I rewatched the first Ghost In The Shell movie a few weeks ago and it's really not that great of a movie in retrospect. It is undoubtedly a huge cultural phenomenon particularly when it was first released.

OP is going beddy bye thanks for enlightening me Sup Forums

Because instead of tediously crafting a new soundtrack, they can just use the latest pop song (or in the case of most action movies, some easy to recognise band like AC/DC). Movies as an art medium are become more about delivering a product than a meaningful art piece

It's a pretty solid film from an entertainment standpoint. Sure the plot gets bogged down by existential nonsense that doesn't go beyond a high school level, but it's still fun to watch.

I think Patlabor 2 had much more unique things to say, especially from a Japanese perspective, while at the same time having a more cohesive plot. You should watch that if you haven't.

Patlabor 2 themes matter more now than even, aside from the coincidence of the gas attacks in 95. Both movie also look visually the same, GitS isn't at all out of the normal for decent budget mid 90s films.

Looking at this thread I'm really glad I'm not the only one who found this movie boring and dissapointing

Well having a manga adapted to an OVA, somethings are bound to get lost in the translation. But the basic layout is there, the major's philosophical doubts, the puppet master, the weapons, wthe possibility to fuse with something beyond your undertanding.

If you expected a 1:1 manga recereation, you are wrong, but for its own merits is a godly OVA. It was groundbreaking in its time.

Maybe some of the sloooooooow panoramic scenes confise people, but they have a meaning. the dog, the major seeing another same bodytype cyborg while she was on the boat, the mannequin that look just like the major, the plain mannequins at the oend of one of the scenes. Look at the major's reactions man!

They are inviting you to think about the major's doubts on her own individuality. How are you different if there are instances of your face being used by other people and as a mannequins? Are you like a mannequin? The hound that she sees is the same race as the one that we saw in a commercial, and If my mind serves me well it also appears in the photo of the trashman's "family". What other thing's appereance are this society "recycling and reusing"? Are the major seeing herself as one of those products?

It makes you think man

>Watching the film
>After reading the manna

There's your problem OP. I saw the film first then read the manga, which was of course superior and has the best !major, but also made me appreciate the film more.

funny yet not surprising that Sup Forums hates it, while Sup Forums finds it ok

It's a damn shame because they really seem to have worked hard on it. I never would have imagined that they would do this scene with practical effects.

I honestly hate when old anime gets like this and newer fans are like BORING SHIT

holy fuck thats actually a very good comparison man. i never would have thought of that. these movies actually have so much in common its crazy

>It's a damn shame because they really seem to have worked hard on it.

Most films are worked on long and hard by dedicated people trying to make a good product. I can respect the effort put into it but I'm not going to pretend it's worth my time solely because of that.

SEINFELD EFFECT

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but you probably watched the dub, which has a really shitty translation and misses the point of a lot of the exchanges.

>I'm not going to pretend it's worth my time
Because clearly you are spending it doing something very productive

I don't think it has much to do with being new to the medium. "It's boring and pretentious" is a very common criticism for any movie that aims to be a bit more than purely entertainment and has a strong focus on dialogues.

If you don't realice why the shows in this image are what anime should be like then you are part of the problem. And yeah, the shows you like are probably shit.
>inb4 Look at this dude! He is doing the thing the image says! XD
Sup Forums is so fucking conformist, keep watching your trash and get mad when told, this images sure will make you feel better about wasting in those series.

>barely any explanation for anything that was going on
But they explain everything.

Yeah, it's kind of a stinker in regards to the characters.
Certain characters just get thrown onto the screen without any explanation for who they are.
It's pretty much all about the worldbuilding, desu.

i was born in late 89
so glad i saw it in 2002 when i was 13
right time to see it
god bless SBS for airing NGE, akira and other fantastic anime
god bless toonami

i don't care what anyone says
80's and 90's anime was all amazing when you were 13 years old and almost every concept and theme it introduced you to was new and ground breaking because you simply hadn't consumed that much media or knew that much world history yet

neon genesis, akira,

2ndgig episode 2 is literally taxi driver but with a helicopter pilot instead of a taxi driver

This
I wanted to like it but its a shit action movie, which would be excusable if it wasn't as deep as a 14 year old who just found his dad's old vhs of blade runner. I'll take a shallow action movie with a cyberpunk style over this """masterpiece""""" any day of the week.

So basically, good popular stuff is "pretentious"? Besides angel's egg and technolyxe wich I dind't enjoy much, I don't find particular problems there. I don't get it, is the author of the image triggered because people talk about Eva and LOGH lots?

It represents the best of 90's anime and the best of the cyberpunk genre to me.
i don't know if it's nostalgia or what but if a normie asked me for just one anime film from the 90's i would probably show them that.
It's also what romanticized hacking and programming.
Maybe i'm a pleb i dunno.
I'm really shocked and surprised with all these people calling it shit or bland all of a sudden. I thought it was universally beloved.

If you don't get the type of person that image is making fun of, then you probably are that type of person

>look at me look at me I read the manga and suddenly this world-renowned masterpiece is overrated
Usually see this with Akira and Nausicaa, not too often with Ghost in the Shell, so good on you for picking a different target, I guess. Try learning a bit about film or animation so that you can understand what makes them good, instead of just being disappointed cause it didn't adapt everything.

>I'm really shocked and surprised with all these people calling it shit or bland all of a sudden.
People who have never seen classics and try to re-contextualize them, disregarding any impact they could have when they were new. They don't live up to their expectations because unknowingly they think they are perfect and will blow everything they enjoy away. Or they are being contrarian because trying to learn why something is loved takes time and effort.

It is, but as always Sup Forums is beeing autistic as fuck.

I mean seriously, what did you expect?

This fucking shot is so good.

Holy fuck, thank you.

to be fair, the Nausicaa manga BTFOs almost any other Japanese anime OR manga ever

makes me cringe when people on here say Miyazaki is good for nothing apart from cutesy nostalgia fuel

Maybe so, I don't really care, I'm talking more about the attitude manga readers often take towards adaptations
>I read Psycho and, guys, I'm pretty sure Hitchcock's movie just isn't that good
Stupid stupid stupid

The entire movie looks amazing. The symbolism in the visuals is pretty great desu

You could screenshot half of the movie and it'd look impressive every time

>I don't get it, it must be pretentious

The GITS movie has little to do with the manga beside the setting, characters and some plot points. It's hard to compare them on more than a superficial level "I liked this one better, the story in this one was better". GiTS is a great movie in its own right but you can't really call it an adaptation. Whereas Nausicaa and Akira are actual adaptations, but they lack 75% of the content and substance of the manga. They're both beloved for their visual prowess, the context they came out in, their historical value and a bit of nostalgia. But had they come out in this decade, they would have been mocked as shallow advertisement for the source material.

Are The other animated movies any good?

Yeah, yeah. Sure thing user.

Of Ghost in the Shell? Innocence is worth a look, skip the rest.

I'm not saying Nausicaa or Akira are bad movies, just explaining why they fall victim to the unfair comparison with their source material more often than GiTS.

Solid State society is alright if you've seen SAC and 2nd Gig series. The Arise movie was decent, and it's worth watching the Arise series for.

Meant to reply to

It's literally just a matter of perspective. If the manga had been created as an expansion of original films, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

Thanks user, I feel more of less the same way.

Haibane Renmei was good, though.

If you think they don't get it then explain it to me.

If you say you "get it" but can't explain it then that just means you're jumping on a bandwagon to try and make it seem like you're smart.

>if a normie asked me for just one anime film from the 90's i would probably show them that.
Porco Rosso

>haibane renmei
>NHK
>pretentious
>galactic heroes

are you fucking stupid? they are simple and they rely heavily on their characters and style you dumb fucker. the story doesn't try to be more than it really is. a dumb fuck neet and angels who committed suicide

Pretentious refers to the fans you insecure nerd

>A joke or wisecrack here and there wouldn't have killed them.
But Motoko even blames the static at the start of the film on her period. It's just that Oshii stripped all the humour out of the statement. Still gives me a chuckle though.

why should he explain the movie to you if other people don't get it?

Why do you assume I don't get the movie? I understand the allegory and what the film was trying to convey, and I still hate it. It's just boring intellectual masturbation with pretty art and music

He's right, you know.

>Implying moe isn't shit

Why even post? Do you know where you are?

How dare the creators put more effort into their works than my average aimless moe show that will be forgotten after 2 months it has finished airing?

How come original, well thought-out and memorable anime that tackle difficult themes with either a complete mastery of the medium or a unique functionality brought to fruition are able to stand the test of time and still be loved by many people years and years after it has finished airing?

It's not fair at all, I feel you.

Way to misunderstand the image

Don't you fucking dare put NHK, Texhnolyze and Haibane in the same category as Ergo Proxy.