Is this the only correct way for the west to do an anime/manga/LN adaptation?

Is this the only correct way for the west to do an anime/manga/LN adaptation?

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5881852/chronicle-is-a-movie-about-every-teens-fantasy-of-fighting-back
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Make it whatever is the opposite of shit

Hollywood got lucky. It won't happen again.

If only they could all have Tom Cruise in them

There'd be a lot of running and yelling.

Yes
Tom Cruise should have been the Major

wait that was based on a fucking manga or LN??? Can someone tell me which one? I had no idea

Chronicle absolutely nailed it.

Just take the general ideas from manga/animu, western them up and water them down a bit for a popcorn film going audience.

Hollywood needs to drop the name brand bullshit with mango/animu adaptations because they're not going to win over the people who actually like it.

All you need is kill

At least the movie gave it a better name

All You Need is Kill

based on the LN. The only similarity is they only took the premise and idea, but had their own take on the script.

Helps that AYNIK was virtually unknown. GitS is on par with AKIRA, if not more known because of two full series that ran on TV for like a decade, several other films, and very recent releases.

Chronicle was more Carrie with Superpowers than it was an adaptation of anything Japanese, dunno where you got that from. Hell, half the reason that movie exists was just because the director was shooting the shit with his writer friend and thought "a floating camera controlled by telekinesis would make for a badass PoV"

There's definitely some Tetsuo in that kids weird power-driven downfall. All it needed was the kaijuu soundtrack.

Is that even based on any manga or LN? I thought it was an original production.

Nah it was definitely Akira.
>Trank cited the films Akira, Carrie and The Fury as influences on Chronicle.[8]

Probably.

yes, it's unironically good.
hell, i love the fact that they made the mc much older (played by tom cruise at that) instead of a young adult/late teen like the LN and manga

Dude that's like making a slasher flick and saying you were inspired by Friday the 13th and Halloween.

I haven't seen the movie but that's exactly how western anime adaptations should run if they want any chance of being good.

Source for that by the way
io9.gizmodo.com/5881852/chronicle-is-a-movie-about-every-teens-fantasy-of-fighting-back

Almost every other word he says is Akira in the interview

>At least the movie gave it a better name

And then it was such a flop that they had to go and give it another name on top of that.

It's a shame that the only good adaptation we've gotten went so under the radar until it was too late. I blame Tom Cruise Action Man fatigue.

The amount of scripts of kids with telekinesis wrecking havoc on downtowns is kind of limited. Chronicle is nothing like AKIRA on the whole other than a weak kid gaining power and going nuts. How he got the power, the setting, the plot, and nearly everything else make it original.

the tragedy is that because of this movie's success, the director ended up in fanfourstick movie and destroying him self

>I blame Tom Cruise Action Man fatigue.
I blame action blockbuster fatigue overall. That year was Captain America Winter Soldier, John Wick, Amazing Spiderman 2, Equalizer, X-men days of future past, and quite a few others.

A good 'adaptation' is either a 1 to 1 faithful repro, or the director takes the material for what it is he's basing on.

All You Need is Kill was perfect for an action packed blockbuster, while GitS's themes could only pour from a cinematic, like Arrival.

I really liked how Tom Cruise pulled off the transformation from chickenshit coward to hardened yelling action man

It looked identical to that bust Matt Damon exosuit movie that released around the same time too, which I'm sure helped dig the grave further.

>it was such a flop
Yeah, such a flop that the work on the sequel already started.

Elysium only had Sharlto going for it. That guy sure likes being robotic.

Alright you finally convinced me to watch Edge of Tomorrow.
It's been so long since I read the LN that I don't really remember anything from it anyway.

To be fair, that meltdown after Fant4stic was a good bit on him.

Dunno why studios go and pick out these rising star guys who clearly have distinct ideas for what they want to make and try to force them into cookie cutter corporate product roles.

I think that's more thanks to the weight that a guy like Tom Cruise has in the industry and that he loved Edge of Tomorrow than because of any kind of box office success. Budget of $178 million with a domestic gross of $100 million is, uh, not great.

Thank god for the foreign market keeping it in the black, but still. There's a reason they thought they couldn't sell the DVDs unless they rebranded the thing.

If Tom Cruise is in it, perhaps.
Hell, he played The First Weeaboo in The Last Samurai. Nips even had a Tom Cruise Day.

Wow they absolutely fucked him

Didn't the director say that the studio fucked his movie over, behind his back?

>mfw reading initial interviews and realizing that the entire fourstick could've been like that Reed-crawling-in-the-vent part

Basically, he wanted to take it in a lot darker of a direction, do some more body horror oriented stuff as far as the transformations went, drop the Von Doom name and treat the material with some more gravity, that kind of deal, and the studio blocked just about everything they could until he was booted off the project and they cobbled something together with some reshoots.

Come to think of it, high budget hollywood movies now rely on foreign earnings to keep them profitable

"Critic's" reviews don't mean shit in that case, since foreigners don't give a shit about what filth paid shills say

Anime doesn't seem to give a shit about foreign audiences

Yeah. There's only so much the guy can do when he has no power to say no and the script is garbage. Any artistic liberties he want to take would be curtailed by committee and test screeners.

Speaking of AKIRA influence, the shots of Doom wrecking people at the facility were definitely lifted.

The Hollywood jews should learn from the Korean Oldboy. Instead of taking anime and manga that have a really colorful universe and specific characters, they should adapt more flexible manga. Stuff that takes place in our world and has characters that can easily be replaced by americans.

Things like this make me understand why I almost never go to the movies anymore and why the only shit I enjoy at this point is Pixar.

I still consider Battle royal the best adaptation just because of how it translates atmosphere.
With Ichi being number two (lel).

The idea came from the book (later made into LN and manga), but it wasn't as much "based", more like "inspired". They have taken some (not all, because many of them were retarded) key elements and made their own story. Scenarist was good enough too.

That's silly, there's always films worth seeing out there, just gotta read opinions and get some initial feedback. Also don't go on Friday or Saturday nights, that's stupid.

>this
>the correct way
Pick one.

What's more fun is when you look more at the writer side of the equation from the purchase of the script through production. Studios and producers can really do some nightmarish things when it comes to how a movie turns out.

I remember the director and writer from Chronicle both saying that movie ruined them because they had little to no producer oversight thanks to Fox being in a crunch and needing something to go out that season, and the script basically translated 1:1 into the final product and turned out to be an unexpected success.

Because they're dumb and can only think in terms of profit. Their "logic" basically being " hey, This no-name newbie made a surprise hit, of we attach his name to a new blockbuster it'll earn even more money without having to pay an older, more experienced and also well known director." This blows up in their faces when the newbie director isn't used to turning over and accepting whatever shit idea their execs come up with THIS time, had a meltdown, or subsequently starts hating the project he's now forced ro helm and actively working against the studio with all his might in a vain attempt in still getting his own vision he/she had for the movie through, or both. A lot of shit movies can be traced back to shit execs with NO fucking clue what they're doing yet thinking they do fucking shit up because they latched onto a shit idea/marketing fad that TOTALLY works... In their minds.

I still have hope in smaller directors and their works. You know, the directors who are huge fanboys themselves and actually try to make a good movie. John Wick 1 & 2 are a great example of dedicated action fans, making a thousand times better action movie than well established, super rich directors. And the movie was small enough, that the studio didn't fuck with it.

>I remember the director and writer from Chronicle both saying that movie ruined them because they had little to no producer oversight thanks to Fox being in a crunch

That's like what Oshii said about Beautiful Dreamer. He was able to get what he wanted because of the close deadlines, so not enough turn around time for Takahashi to sign off on everything.

The movie business is really depressing.

>2
>a great example
I dunno about that. It seemed the 'danganronpa' case to me where they shouldn't have expanded on the universe and kept it as simple as it could be.

To be fair, if you're a businessman looking at putting hundreds of millions of dollars into the hands of a wildcard artist, wouldn't you want to try and curb your risks as much as you could?

>chronicle
except that writer/director is a hack and that movie is shit

They are hacks. But that was a good movie.

To be honest that just shows he doesn't get why he made so much money. If the party decided everything for the businessman since they know better I don't think he'd be as rich.

True, that was the weak part of the movie. But it was still the best movie of the year.

>bmoty
It just started, cmon.

It was a flop but I enjoyed it. I felt like I got what I payed for but a sequel? I thought it ended in a good way. I don't think I'll be paying for the this next one.

What do you mean? Was Reed-crawling-in-the-vent a good or a bad part?

Tricks for a good anime/manga adaptation

1.semi realistic manga/anime
2. not main stream
3.mostly action
4. 0 philosophy or anything that makes you think because it will probably just get taken out.
Gantz would be pretty cool, maybe even Teraformars.

Good. Whole body stretch and everything.

>best movie of the year
Are you retarded? You do know the Emoji Movie is coming out this year, right? HYPE!

You forgot important part about original being short and concluded.

How many examples are out there even to base this on?

>concluded
>war isn't over

It already won the title, because it did most things right. I don't even care for current movies that much. I haven't watched a single action-blockbuster for many years now.

How to do Ghost in the Shell Hollywood Movie right!

Casting:

'Major' Paul Armstrong (Tom Cruise): One of the first full-cyberization humans. Currently serving in Tokyo as part of Section 9 as an investigator and team leader.

Linda Bennett (Corinna Everson?): Served under the Major in the military. Now part of Section 9 as weapons and explosives expert.

Arisa Aramaki (Michelle Yeoh): Head of Section 9.

Plot:

Section 9 is ordered to investigate a series of brainwashing and cyberbrain hacking incidents at a water-filtration plant in Tokyo, Japan. The Major investigates and discovers several employees who have had their memories altered. Digging deeper, the Major discovers that it is a government plot to bury a corruption scandal based around the construction and importation of water filtration facilities around the country. Fearing discovery the incumbent prime minister moves to shut down Section 9. Labeled as terrorists, the remaining members of section 9 struggle to expose government corruption and clear their names.

Unique features:

- Many verbally spoken lines with Japanese people are in Japanese (with subtitles). Cyber-conversations are in English.
- Section 9 is a mix of Japanese and Hollywood actors.
- Blade Runner feel and atmosphere
- Original GitS sound track

There you go. A ghost in the shell movie everyone can enjoy.

I'd watch it

You have to cast Nicholas Cage in an anime adaptation.

What series and which character

It would be if they didn't fuck up the ending.

Junketsu no Maria.

Nicholas Cage as Garfa.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

That sounds awful. If you didn't walk out half way you would've seen that the movie improves during the 2nd half and ties together the plot nicely. The only improvement would've been if the Major builder lady didn't go full generic hollywood and instead actually tried to kill her

>Thank god for the foreign market keeping it in the black,
It's a Tom Cruise flick. We non-burgers love the guy.

Darker than black as the main villain.

Also, I'd cast Chris Pratt as this motherfucker.

Don't forget motorbikes

Fate/Zero
Caster

Need to have location changes. Tokyo/New York/Abu Dhabi/Shanghai/Buenos Aires/Antarctica/Tokyo. Change water filtration stuff (people would make brita jokes) to dirty nuke attack by shadowy elites who want to trigger WW3. Find someone who looks like 70s Pam Grier to play Linda. Needs a bigass cyberfro. Round out Section 9 with new characters played Nic Cage (who dies uncovering the plot) and The Rock (who throws a riced-out Civic at someone and quips about danger to exhaust manifolds in a shout-out to F&F). Arisa gets hacked by Russians and goes bonkers. Ultra-villain played by Kiefer Sutherland, whose motivation is to reset the world to zero. Maybe Keanu instead of Tom?

It was good, but they threw out her story and the ending.

Bakemonogatari. Christopher Walken as Kaiki. Willem Dafoe for Ougi. Sam Raimi to direct.

20th Century as the Main Character.
You know it fits perfectly

destiny wait dark as mr. priest

But the book is.

Did we read the same book?
I remember it ending with mc killing the girl and taking her place with 'killer cage' nickname but war was fram from being over.

I agree

If Emily Blunt could do the physical stunts of Michelle Yeoh, she would be the major hands down.

Your plot sound a lot like GITS SAC (govermnment trying to vanish S9), but if they can pull a battle of tachikomas vs the armor suits I'll give 'em muh money

"Your" idea is way better than anything Hollywood had proposed in a long time 'tho

But getting chinese actors could not butthurt the japanese? I mean I love Michelle Yeoh, shes hot as fuck and can have this badass aura that so few female actresses can pull, but in memoirs of a geisha, japanese blew a gasket because the main role was made by that chinese chick

It really kinda does.

I dunno about your world, but we here have only one book that was written 13 years ago.

Kemono Friends

as the ravaging hunter/rapist

K-On as Yui

>influenced
>adaptation
Fucking Kanye was influenced by akira. He's never made an adaptation of it

No, you stupid fuck! Take the same plot from the GitS original movie and ELECTRIFY them.
That's how they tomcruised "all you need is kill".
Instead of having the major quietly ponder existential dreads you would have the tom cruise FREAK OUT AND RUN over them.
And it would work.

One piece
Donquixote Doflamingo

Subaru Natsuki
It would be fun to see him sperging out.

Kiseijuu

Also The Matrix and as much as I hate to admit it, Black Swan

Nobody talked about the Rurouni Kenshin adaptation? I thought those 3 movies were good