What is with anime and the lack of subtlety...

What is with anime and the lack of subtlety? Do they not trust viewers to pick up on small hints like the conversation about a mouse's lifespan?

I can never take these kind of scenes seriously.

>stressed out, facing inner turmoil
>conjure a shadowy representation of yourself
>start arguing with it back and forth, even start yelling at it like a psycho

I know many other forms of media use this plot device to show a character's mental state, but anime is especially guilty of it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/a?v=kKf2fEwN9xs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What is with anime and the lack of subtlety?
Have you seen the average user? Have you seen how often people on Sup Forums fail to understand the painfully obvious?

Subtlety is lost on us.

Because there are some people in the world who can't take a hint from subtlety

Several reasons

1. Anime/Manga is still largely for children
2. The average adult is still dense as fuck
3. It's lazy/easy writing (there are more bad writers than good writers in the world)

It's like asking why anime is filled with girls with gigantic tits. The average audience is dumb and the writers are uncreative

>why anime is filled with girls with gigantic tits
The reason is simple, the author likes tits. TITS.

The literal only form of humor that exists in japan is something crazy happening and then a straight man explaining that the situation is crazy. They don't understand sarcasms or ironics or subtlety. Also the target audience is adults with the brains of children.

>Anime
More like any kind of media.

Believe it or not, people are stupid. Your average person is fucking stupid. They will never get the point of stupidly obvious things unless you smash them in the face with it and even then there's people who still don't get it sometimes.

>Do they not trust viewers to pick up on small hints
No, the average person is a moron. Especially when you consider this is often for children as well as dumb adults

>What is with (all forms of media) and the lack of subtlety?

Anyway, the answer is that the trend towards one cour shows has been a very bad thing.

>i know this is a common thing in all media
>but why is it common in anime?

You already answered your own question. Its not more common in anime, you might just be watching a lot of anime. The New York Times is written at a 5th grade reading level on a whole. Sure you can find tons of examples where that isn't the case, but on average, you want your media to be as simple as possible so that it can reach the widest audience. You'd be surprised how much you take people having common sense for granted.

Subtlety sometimes kills a show

The disdain of anime studios of the target audience is nothing new.

People who eatch anime are fucking stupid. All except me though since i also browse /c/

>ITT "anime pros“

Kek

Those are the people who complain about series being DEEP when in reality they just don't spoonfeed you everything.

in case you think people who say people are dumb are just full of themselves
do remember that confirmation bias isn't something that only happens to stupid people
most people start out believing they are normal (not freaks of nature)
smart young people tend to believe people to be smarter than they really are

youtube.com/a?v=kKf2fEwN9xs

>Do they not trust viewers to pick up on small hints like the conversation about a mouse's lifespan?
You know what? sometimes people don't even understand the main plot point, let alone small hints.
Take a look at a Sakura Quest thread, anons don't even remember the main girl's name correctly despite the fact that's the very reason why the girl was mistaken for someone else and got involved into the plot.

There was a Warau Salesman thread last night where an user literally had the audacity to say that the victims didn't regret meeting the salesman because they never explicitly said so. Because becoming old/ugly and getting fired from your job is not enough evidence to suggest that they regretted encountering Moguro after the fact and instead they needed to outright say it for it to be true.

So no, to answer your question, any kind of subtlety is lost on the average viewer. Unless its stated outright that 'leaves too much room for interpretation' and then we have to have arguments with idiots who can't process simple concepts like 'accepting a deal with the devil inevitably leads to despair' and by proxy, regret.

anime viewers are autists, they can't pick up on subtleties

>it's a the Sup Forums nostalgia-fags complain about inane shit : the thread

why can't they make more intelligent anime for intelligent individuals such as op and myself? why must they pander to these brainlet plebian filth?

>The literal only form of humor that exists in japan is something crazy happening and then a straight man explaining that the situation is crazy.
But Jugemu exists.

Maybe not every anime needs to be 2deep4u and overly cryptic for no reason
Most writers, directors, producers, and creators in general are simply masturbating when they use "subtlety" because they want to show off how good they are at handling stuff
It's pretentious nonsense that adds absolutely nothing and the only reason morons like it is because they feel smart for "getting it"

You are responding to a person that thinks he can judge the entire breadth of Japanese communication by watching a few cartoons.

>What is with anime and the lack of subtlety?
Because you're watching a KyoAni Anime.

That scene in the OP was some fucking high school freshman level writing.
Seems like Maid Dragon shit itself right at the end.

THIS

All the deep shit just reminds me of my teenage years when I desperately wanted to show everyone how smart I was.

I don't know if you picked up on this but that scene might have been showing us how much of a manipulative arse her father is by having him tell her what she was obviously already thinking.

>Do they not trust viewers to pick up on small hints
Yes.

Why?

Because it's cartoons for children. Shocker, right?

You are just a bunch of hypocrites every time an anime tries to be subtle you mock it and call it pretentious. Then you litter the board with fucking moe threads and generals.

Fuck, I don't know why I come back to this cesspool.

>Sup Forums is one person

They have to fill the screen with something.

Nah, just generic ecchi anime trying 2deep4you.

Because you autists really don't pick up the small hints. Go to the thread of any show that does that and you will see most people don't get it.

Fuck off back to Sup Forumsinland.

Kyoukai no Kanata had a lot of implied stuff... Which only a few anons picked.

Now shows that are subtle about its characters and what they feel are also bashed. You idiot.

Of course we do, because it is pretentious bullshit

I just remember the dance episode
It should have been more fun like that and less "dark and serious"

If you wanted an intelligent show, you'd be watching Rakugo and not Maid Dragon. And anime fans would've gone crazy for Shinsekai Yori and not SAO.

>You are just a bunch of hypocrites every time an anime tries to be subtle you mock it and call it pretentious. Then you litter the board with fucking moe threads and generals.
What is hypocritical about this?

most people don't pick up hints in general senpai. Maid Dragon isn't supposed to be particular deep or thought provoking anyway.

Moe shows are deeper than you think.

>treating anime like a serious art form
get a load of this faggot

When they don't, people flip the fuck out and can't handle it.

You'd have to be a Sup Forums-tier contrarian to fucking mock Utena or Princess Tutu, or Gundam War in the Pocket for being pretentious.

>Subtlety is lost on us.
And then people burn entire threads on analyzing tiny foreshadowing, hidden references and SYMBOLISM in shows.

>Utena
Pretentious shit

>Princess Tutu
Boring moeshit

>Gundam War in the Pocket
Forced drama

Thanks for proving my point, Sup Forumsermin.

>user
trying too hard

Do keep in mind it works as good padding. Exposition can really help lazy writers, especially in adaptations where they need to fill an episode.
Unless you're Toei in which case you have 5 or 6 minute intro sequences.
t. One Piece

How about now?

>Utena
Degenerate lesbianshit

>Tutu
Vapid escapism

>Gundam
Allied kike WWII propaganda

tutu was good, but utena was trying too hard and gundam is generic shonenshit.

>Degenerate lesbianshit
Lesbianism is literally least degenerate shit it had

>Vapid escapism
No

>Allied kike WWII propaganda
What did you actually meme by this?

War in the Pocket is actually really good.

Stop replying you retards. How are you not able to recognize what's literally Trolling 101: Always disagree with the post you're replying to, especially if you can do it dismissively.

It's called poor translation.

anime is made for kids and manchildren
what the fuck do you think? if you don't like it consider a new hobby

It was an incorrect sub. The actual Japanese didn't expound like that at all.

>trolling

This is not 2007 nor r*ddit

>nor r*ddit
You are the reddit.

Maid Dragon is garbage, that's why.

That only happened the first few episodes. There was no reason to continue once Kyubey spends a whole episode explaining fucking everything.

It really ruined the show for me, since there wasn't really a reason to actually explain their motivation in the first place when it's more fun to speculate. Not to mention that the motivation is fucking dogshit. Aliens? Really?

That mostly only happens in comedy anime and garbage though. You just need to watch more desu.

>Aliens? Really?
Why not? I could certainly see why an advanced aliens species would be interested in using magic to obtain excess energy that defies entropy in order to prevent the heat death of the universe.

>tryhardnolyze

Aliens could work but I'm definitely doesn't fit the setting at all, and doesn't work with any of the anime's themes.

I think it would be better if it was hinted at aliens, Satan (with all the Faust symbolism), or whatever else, but it's just stupid to just outright say its aliens doing alien magic.It's sort of a rule of thumb to let some things to your own imagination, because the real secret is always going to be disappointing.

This scene was so cringy. I literally dropped the anime right there.

>Not to mention that the motivation is fucking dogshit. Aliens? Really?

It's a type of Cosmic Horror.

Do you think much of the cattle they breed in pens that only live so that they can die and turn into Quarter Pounder from McDonalds?

One may think that humans are some super special snowflake species, but to the QBs, they're nothing more than expandable batteries. And the revelation how the QBs have been around since the dawn of man (and thus, the revelation how major events in history had a magical girl's hand in them) just increase the feelings of insignificance and how humanity as a whole have been just dancing in the palms of the incubators the entire time.

The audience isn't there. It'll take future generations who view animation as something greater than how it's treated to break this mould.

Right now, too few adults who aren't in it for the fanservice or cheap escapism spend enough money. Animation is expensive and time consuming, it's not like with live action where you can make a powerful, moving piece of full length work with a shoestring budget in a few months or even less. When you look at stuff in animation competitions a lot of it focuses purely on the art because the resources to animate something bigger simply aren't there.

It's an issue that encapsulates society and the public's view of animation. It's especially awful in North America, where, for example, if you go to a theater to see an animated film it's a virtual guarantee to be some 3D family flick.

Animation is an inherently superior medium than live action cinema
And the public disdaining animation is good because it keeps them from poisoning the medium

It's just a different kind of poison

I agree
Otaku-pandering is like alcohol, it's soothing and pleasant but ultimately bad for you
Western-pandering is like cyanide, it just fucking kills you

>"Something I like getting popular is bad!"
Nothing sums up Sup Forums better than this.

Sorta applies to Sup Forums in general.

Honestly I'm tired of otaku pandering, and I don't really watch many shows now because of it. There's nothing soothing and pleasant about it anymore, just pretty dull and boring.

>boringANALyze

History proves this is true, though. Things that get popular will almost inevitably turn to shit at some point.

But it's not. It airs late at night.

you're watching the wrong kind of anime, dude

Find new hobby. Let us jerk off in peace.

He's perfectly right though. Just look at video games. Popularity results in Jews ruining the medium for profit.

>History proves this is true, though
That's why classic literature is popular? Because it's bad!

>classic literature is popular
But it's not
What's popular is garbage like Twilight and Hunger Games that make LNs look like literary masterpieces
Because that's what happens when a thing gets popular, it draws in the flies and everything gets drowned in a sea of shit

Subtlety isn't inherently better than overtness. People are so fixated on subtlety that they often miss overt storytelling and end up being mistaken.

>But it's not
Its is. Everyone read classic literature in school. Everyone know classic. Dostoevsky books were most popular in his time. Everyone in Russia, around the world read him. Same for other authors.
>muh Twilight
Twilight target audience is girls. Little girls.

But Maid Dragon was subtle about a lot of things, from your post I am going to assume you actually missed them.

Until that scene.

It's a near literal translation for お前のなかにある迷い. Try again, eop.

Asking anons for the meaning of something is very fun, because everyone has a unique view. It made Madoka 10 times better reading anons' critique and explanations of foreshadowing and easter eggs.

Yeah that scene was so fucking bad. It was embarrassing, even.

Maidragon and probably everything else you're referring to aren't really serious artistic works, and they're made for younger audiences. It's like complaining about a lack of subtlety in some Family Channel show, or like, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

That scene had nothing to do with the anime being subtle or not, it's simply a visualization of how the characters feel. It had to be in your face because that's what Tohru is, because there was no reason to make it "subtle" by showing a grey rain or anything else. The scene worked because it was about Kobayashi. It had to be dragon because it was between Dragon Tohru and Tohru who wants to live with Kobayashi.

No
People pretend they like classics to appear smarter than they are and then go back to reading 50 shits of grey
It's the same thing with movies and music, everyone pretends to like good films and music but the shitty stuff is always the one that sells better and the one everyone wants to make because it sells

Yeah, that scene was stupid as fuck.

The funny part is I've seen anons here miss literal references in other shows. Then they complain about how something isn't explained in the thread later just to be made fun of by everyone with a greater attention span than a moth.

Artistic stuff is always and has always been niche, you're retarded.