Why do people like this show? It's basically "Homewrecking: The Anime" with a crazy girlfriend

Why do people like this show? It's basically "Homewrecking: The Anime" with a crazy girlfriend.

Because cute girls and weird stuff happens.

>like this show

They don't. No one on Sup Forums has ever watched it, they just fap to the girl.

I've watched the first 20 episodes. I got the idea of it. I think it is mostly redundant after that.

Anorexia is disgusting

Is that relevant?

The Ataru vs Mendo rivalry is fun, and the random scenarios get completely crazy later and Oshii's style just adds to that when he starts adding his personal style to parts of the episodes (which is also why I prefer the anime to the manga, since the scenarios end up more varied in the anime since they aren't coming only from Takahashi and the anime staff isn't making just one note stories like Ranma's filler).

>t. nigger who never watched this

Im getting a mental image of a huge envious hambeast.

Weirdly enough Lum is one of those characters that I cant really fap to, dunno what's about her, I like her as a character but cant quite fap to her.

You've never watched it

When watching anything by Takahashi Rumiko you have to keep well in mind that, at the time, what she did was relatively new.
And EVEN THEN, it was a common joke amongst aficionados that she was barely able to make one plot, and she just recycled the general feel of her works every time she moved onto the next one.

Everything she makes is great as something consumed casually, like background noise, or for a comfortable retro feel. But watching Rumiko's stuff in 2017 expecting a masterpiece is a mistake, just by design in the first place.

The episodes are admittedly hit or miss, with most of the bigger hits coming later on, but it was fun enough throughout. I certainly don't regret going through it a few years ago despite its length.

Also, the episode with the ghost girl is the best episode.

Maybe you like girls of depth and character rather than airheaded floozies.

Pic related, a girl of depth and character.

Jesus christ why do we keep having these threads

I did nigger, in two channels in my country (well, one is cable)

Actually it was meant to be more of a home-wrecking. The original idea was that Lum was a one-off character and that adventures would return to just Ataru and Shinobu. The fans liked Lum so much that Takahashi brought her back as a romantic rival who Shinobu and Ataru would beat at the end. Then it just became a series about Ataru and Lum and none of the other girls can come close to breaking them up.

I liked some of the episodes where Ataru lets a little bisexuality into his head and flirts with Mendo.

user, please, you have to understand

Rumiko never had, and never will, a relationship in her entire life. She never dated, never married, never even went to an arranged marriage meeting. She has been alone all this time and has no idea what being with a partner is like.

You can tell this from all his works.

gotta admit, I always liked Shinobu better.

My minds a bit foggy since its been a while, but I think there were some other minor characters that I liked a lot as well.
Eh, I never finished the series and missed some episodes as well, should download it and marathon it one of these days

Also, she is ugly for an asian.

She does know what it's like to have a harem, though - Rumiko said she had a ton of persistent suitors in high school and college, which she never understood because she described her teenage self as a "frumpy bookworm."

I don't like the UY anime but the manga ha been in my top 3 for years. I don't really get why everyone loves the show so much except for a few movies here and there.

Doubtful. "Frumpy Bookworm" does fit her, but even some bookworms have charm. She really doesn't have much going for her.

Sup Forums - Contrarian gen Z children

Lum was a social phenomenon in Italy and other European countries back in the 80s and early 90s. I'm sorry you missed out or weren't even born back then.

This thread might be an exception, but you're actually in pretty good company. There's a ton of nostalgiafags here who think any anime released in a year beginning with '1' is automatically good, and any anime released in a year beginning with '2' is automatically bad.

The UY anime is kinda meh, but it holds a ecial place in my heart due to nostalgia. I still remember buying the VHSes, they came with a pamphlet explaining all the jokes. Seriously.

The best thing to come out of UY is Beautiful Dreamer. The other movies are alright and the manga is pretty dang cool.

>tfw

Wish I had the full collection but I didn't care about manga all that much when I lived in Italy, I'm missing almost every volume after the 29th.

I'm just impressed that you have any at all, user. Most of my manga books started to rot away because I live near the beach.

What I can tell from all her works is that she's gay.

Sup Forums tends to like competently animated stuff and waifus; they don't care about plot.

>Home wrecking
>Shinobu only said she'd marry Ataru if he won the tag game.
>Went out of her way to physically and emotionally abuse him to some extent.
>the moment Mendou showed up, she forgot all about Ataru's crush on her.
>The moment a faggot in a rabbit costume showed up, she fell for him.

Shinobu's the fucking worse.

To be fair, once Lum became a regular Takahashi had to find a way to get rid of her.

No, it isn't relevant. The series is one big long pun of folklore and popular culture of the time.

but Lum isn't anorexic

Well, Urusei Yatsura was a milestone for comedy manga/anime. It is also a beginners luck for Rumiko Takahashi and has the first harem related theme. It was also popular in Japan and in Europe. I can go into detail on why some people on Sup Forums likes about this series, but that's all I can describe to you.

>try to get into this show
>get told it's a good long haul anime
>it's always LOL RANDOM EVENT FOR NO REASON

>falling for a vaporwave meme

>Rumiko never had, and never will, a relationship in her entire life. She never dated, never married, never even went to an arranged marriage meeting. She has been alone all this time and has no idea what being with a partner is like.

Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So that explains why his female leads (Akane, Kagome) are the way they are, and YET, she expects people to simphatize with them in spite of their shit.........

I am not in doubt anymore.

Also, judging by how he writes his female leads in his works...........................

...................................yyyyyyyyeeeeaaaah, she has social skill issues.

I just want a japanese girl to call me daaling and chomp my dick off

Why do UY threads inevitably devolve into shitflinging? What is it about this anime that makes it's fans so reactionary and it's haters so passionate?

Fuck off kike. Nobody wanted you here in the first place.

Samefag as fuck

>..............................................................yyyyyyyyeeeeaaaah
Are you fucking retarded?

is there any nudity? Looks like one big cock tease if you ask me

A number of episodes, including the first, has nipples. It was made in the 80's after all.

Extra thicc!

Isn't it obvious?

Extra points for that scene also having the Maison Ikkoku characters in the background.

What? Where the hell did that come from?

I like it when Mendo is clearly into Ataru being subservient to him.

im seeing 195 episodes. Is it really worth it? I dont wanna enjoy like 12 eps and then it starts to get repetitive

I thought it was worth it, even if I think it lost a lot of steam towards the end.