Space Dandy

>Space Dandy
>Concrete Revolutio
>Mob Psycho

Is BONES the only studio left that does ambitious projects?

What's so ambitious about mob psycho and space dandy?

I miss conrevo threads

/thread

Space Dandy I get, but the other two didn't strike me as ambitious.

Did you intentionally ignore MAPPA and Noitamina, or are you really that stupid?

Currently yes.
BONES>>>>>Kyoani

>Noitamina
>studio

>no one will ever sub the BDs
>we're trapped with horriblesubs forever

Whatever your opinions on their quality, it seems hard to deny Trigger's ambition

Trigger are the only ones doing interesting stuff desu. They are the new old Gainax

Still leaves MAPPA

You haven't actually named any of their works that would be considered ambitious. Probably the closest they've ever gotten to it was Punchline in 2015

I don't agree with you there, I think we get some really interesting work from a variety of studios, but Trigger is definitely very interested in pushing boundaries.

TL note: ambitious means shit.

Kids On The Slope
Yuri On Ice
Welcome to the Ballrom (Coming soon)

I'd call those more ambitious than a shounen adaptation. Hell they even made a mobile game not suck (Rage of Bahamut).

Mob Psycho is the best animated TV anime of the decade. Space Dandy is an anthology project involving an enormous amount of talents, who are given a degree of freedom that makes the series resemble more something like Anime Expo than any other TV anime.

>Mob Psycho is the best animated TV anime of the decade.
That's Nichijou.

>mob psycho best of the decade
You live a life of pain

Mappa is a joke. They still haven't made anything interesting and even the supposedly dead Madhouse outclasses them.
Some things they do are ambitious.
But LWA for example played it too safe and is mostly uninteresting.

You can't say an anime that we haven't seen yet is ambitious. How it's produced is just as important as what, and its what isn't much of a risk.

Yuri on Ice doesn't strike me as particularly ambitious, either. I'll grant that Yamamoto did a good job, as she usually does, but when you compare it to her earlier works it seems very restrained.

I'll give you Kids on the Slope, though. Still, it's been five years since that came out.

Ambitious doesn't just mean good, user.

>Kids On The Slope
Rotoscoped
>Yuri on Ice
QUALITYfest
>Ballroom
Isn't that IG?

LWA is definitely ambitious. Any OC that doesn't fit neatly into a well-established genre is a risk, and they've really embraced a style of animation that's very unique in the way that it fuses Japanese design philosophy with western technique. I think your disappointment stems mostly from its story, but that's a hard thing to evaluate when it's only half over.

But that was already done more effectively in the OVAs.
Planning the series they forgot the most interesting thing, that LWA in the end was actually about animation. If they focused on that concept it could have been something much more interesting narratively and stylistically than the boring underdog story with wonky world building and sparse Disney references that we got.

>if they focused on the animation it would be more interesting narratively

nigga wat

And it's still ambitious to try and take these OVAs and turn them into a full length series. Maybe it won't be successful, but it's still ambitious.

No, I don't mean that animation was the focus rather than the writing or something else, I mean that the story was about animation and animators, thematically. The short was made for the Young animators training project and they decided that was what it should have been about. But the series failed to expand on that in any meaningful way.

Tell me what ambitious about adapting shounen properties, and remaking Cowboy Bebop for the 100th time in a row? I mean I admit Space Dandy was good, but come on!

What was removed that makes it thematically different? I can see how animators could have been the foundation for the original short, but it was hardly specific to their profession, and I don't see how any of those themes have really disappeared in the main series.

It's not about content, it's about how it was done. I'm not OP, but I'll defend Mob Psycho 100 as an ambitious project. That was clearly a work of love by some of the greatest animators currently working in the industry, and they really did some fascinating things on a TV budget.

I didn't say they disappeared, I said they weren't expanded upon. I think much more could have been done with the subject than referencing Disney's Nine Old Men, Dumbo and Dexter's Lab in the context of a generic coming of age story.

You're going to have to point to the specific things in the original that you wanted to be expanded, because as far as I can see the series is using the same themes in its narrative.

But It is about content. Don't get me wrong I liked all of these shows, but you guys keep using the word "Ambitious", like they're doing some new thing that nobody's tried. The only one I would call ambitious is Concrete Revolutio. If Bones didn't do Mob Psycho, someone else would have. It's not like One is some obscure author no one's heard of. Sure they bring their own flare to their projects, but it's still just an adaption existing content.

No one would have done it the way Bones did it. It's not a little flare, it's the use of animation techniques that we rarely see. It's the decision to use ONE's actual style in designing characters, which even OPM didn't do. There were lots of decisions that were interesting and unique to the Bones production.

Trigger did naught by shit. Its anime was at its very best okay, nowhere near the Gainax levels.

I haven't seen this show, but are how are the bds different audio/timing wise? I could rip the sub file and do it if there isn't a big difference

>ambitious
They're rehashing eureka seven AGAIN

OPM was an adaption of Murata's manga so that's not really an appropriate comparison.

Kill la Kill, Luluco and LWA OVA are easily Gainax level.

That's my point, though. The reason they chose to do Murata's is because it was less of a risk. Although, even then, some of the action scenes were fairly ambitious in their scope. The final fight really is pretty impressive.

I honestly don't know. It's probably a safe bet that they're very close, though, so you'd definitely get downloads.

And it's not using them in any meaningful way, focusing too much on Akko's repetitive struggles and muddling the original metaphor, like with Chariot being a legendary saviour figure rather than a simple performer.

>The reason they chose to do Murata's is because it was less of a risk
It's not up to the studio to decide that kind of thing.

The Shiny Rod was clearly more than just a regular staff even in the original. And Akko's repetitive struggles and slow growth are a very important lesson for anyone who wants to master anything. I don't think your argument holds up very well.

That depends on if they're on the production committee. I have no idea how much sway Bones or Madhouse had on their individual productions, but you can't make a blanket claim on that.

>The Shiny Rod was clearly more than just a regular staff even in the original.
She was a performer and it was never supposed to be expanded upon. Even the interviews never mention anything about Chariot being more of what it seemed.
>And Akko's repetitive struggles and slow growth are a very important lesson for anyone who wants to master anything
Most people that try to master something aren't as hopelessly retarded.
If you're satisfied with this not particularly well written underdog story, good for you. I'm saying that with that premise and 25 episodes there was room for something actually interesting.

Just because it was left vague doesn't mean it wasn't there. Only the Shiny Rod was capable of beating the dragon.

And most people do struggle the way Akko is when they initially get into something. Imagine if you wanted to be an animator, and you had no experience. You get thrown into a prestigious school for it, where all of your peers have grown up learning to draw and animate, and you have to learn it all from scratch. You think that experience would differ so heavily from Akko's?

Maybe you don't find it interesting, but it hasn't really broken with the themes of the original. I do find each episode to be interesting, and I think you actually wanted something different from what an expansion on the original concept is.

Akko has been there for months and she can't do basic stuff.
Imagine a guy who wants to be an animator and gets accepted into a prestigious art school but he can't figure out simple linear VP perspective in half a year of studying.
How come she's completely clueless about magic anyway? She has been obsessed with Chariot for so long one would think she would read a book sometime.

It's only October. She's been there for 3 months at the absolute most. More likely 2. In that time she's gone from 0 knowledge to competent enough to pass her classes. One of the biggest hurdles, that's likely overcome with the latest development, is that she was pursuing someone else's style, and it was gimping her.

I don't know why she wouldn't have read up on magic beforehand, but that's probably more of a worldbuilding thing. Like, muggle families can't access it or something. I don't really care, worldbuilding is dull to me, the setup is that she doesn't know anything going in, and that's fine by me.

The Japanese school year begins in April. They already had exams half a cour ago when Akko flushed the fish-sensei.
And she still can't ride the freaking broom which is an essential skill. Akko's retardation is exaggerated, it's painful to watch.

The school is in the UK, and the broom thing is clearly a plot point of some kind.

>Just because it was left vague doesn't mean it wasn't there. Only the Shiny Rod was capable of beating the dragon.
It was just a case of energy overload. The energy wasn't even produced by the rod, it only stored the one from the stone. In the interviews there were dozens of ideas they had about the setting at the time, like a rival school with a white dragon, but nothing about Chariot being more than a performer.
>Maybe you don't find it interesting, but it hasn't really broken with the themes of the original. I do find each episode to be interesting, and I think you actually wanted something different from what an expansion on the original concept is.
No, I wanted an actual expansion, not the same material stretched into a 25 episodes format.

And I'm sure any old wand could have channeled its power.

Honestly, you're so vague in your desires I'm not sure you've actually thought through what they mean. Explain to me what an expansion of the themes is, if a more in depth exploration doesn't count.

>The school is in the UK
Do they have exams every month in the UK?
>the broom thing is clearly a plot point of some kind
It's not like Akko is good at anything else.

It's not odd for a high school to have regular exams, no.

And like I said, Akko is still very new to magic. She's much, much better than she was at the start. If I were you, I'd wait until the show is over to keep watching, because you're too easily frustrated by slow, steady progress.

Is Warau Salesman not ambitious?