I owe $1,800 to a debt collector for having my wisdom teeth removed. How likely is it that they’ll sue me...

I owe $1,800 to a debt collector for having my wisdom teeth removed. How likely is it that they’ll sue me? Right now they’re just leaving me hostile phone calls telling me to call them or have my lawyer call them.

either declare bankruptcy or work out a payment plan. they won't force you to pay it all at once. just work out a plan with them

fucking niggers

Pay him in Matzos.

Weak Jaw

Sure pay 335 in filing fees 1500 in attorney fees to file bankruptcy on an 1800 debt. Real ducking smart

Look on the bright side, at least they cant come and knock your teeth out

They bought your debt for less than .10 on the dollar. Offer them 250 or tell them to fuck off, you'll not worry about a single report on your credit. Then threaten them with a harassment lawsuit for each phone call they make.

Once the debt is sold to the collector there is no longer a contract to pay, it's not a valid debt, they'll just try to scare you into making a contract with them

Take 2-3 hours to research how debt collection works and go from there.

Once they give it to a collector, it's not in the hands of the dentist anymore.

Your just paying for the debt collector's profit.

so why don't you work out a plan to repay it?
how old are you?
do you have a job?
Debts don't go away. They just grow with interest,panalties and fees.
You should man-up and take care of this now before it gets worse.

What’s keeping you from paying your debts? Why get dental work if you can’t afford it?

Bingo.

Don't EVER give them even a PENNY. You acknowledge the debt once you give them a dime. Medical bills have a 7 year statute of limitations anyway, if you pay even a single red cent you reset that timer. DO NOT PAY THEM ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This billy? Nigga u better pay mark before he kill your ass

tell them to suck your dick, you arent paying. i did that to literally chase bank over 3k, and well fargo for 2k. that was 10 years ago and nothing happened other than my credit being shit

Medical debt disappears in 7 years, that's why medical debts get sold to collectors and student debts don't.

>I borrowed money and now I have to pay it back :(((

>it's not a valid debt
Don't listen to this moron.
They will hound you for the rest of your life.
They will seize money from your bank account and garnish your wages.
Over the years you may end up paying many times the original debt in interest, penalties and fees.
Deal with this now.

>i wanna troll some random guy on Sup Forums into fucking himself over.

Do some research on how these work. Do not ever give them a dime. period.

t. debt collector

1800? Get a job poorfag

This

It was a tooth that was infected
I won’t be making money until winter is over

For them to do that, it also cost them $$$, and time.

They aren't going to go that far for that amount.
The worst case scenario is that they hit his credit report, which he can dispute.

never answer their calls and pretend like they don't exist shit doesn't happen with this little amount of cash
they usually fail to collect on smaller sums of money
might take a hit to your credit but you can pay it off at a later date if that's how you have to do it
they can't force you into the poorhouse fuck em

You will not be sued. They will threaten and nag you for a while, maybe a couple years. I defaulted on a hell of a lot more than that in 2010-11 and now my credit is great, never was sued.

Payment plan with them. Small amount of money. Shouldn't take long. Also watch Dave Ramsey.

The worst case scenario if you ignore them, is they'll hit your credit.

If they do hit your credit, dispute it saying you don't think it's yours..

Once they prove it's yours, then play ball and say you'll pay the debt IF and only IF they agree to taking the bad mark off your credit report. Get it in writing and have them sign it.

Change your phone number

Debts like this have a statute of limitations, anywhere from 6-10 years. That's why they get sold to collectors; because it has an expiration date after which it has 0 impact on your credit and 0 impact on your life in any way shape or form. It goes away. They try to get you to pay 10 dollars or some shit in order to reset that statute.

They are toothless and they know it. That's why they operate the way they do, to scare the gullible.

ITT: how idiots "manage" their finances and ruin their credit.

Some companies won't hire you if they see that you have a shit credit score. That means only shitty jobs will be open to you.

>american pays 1800 for his wisdom tooth removal
>i paid 25e for my wisdom tooth removal

Then ignore their shit again?

I work for a debt collector agency. Pay it or you will be sued no matter the amount

I work for a company my family owns so I don’t care about that

That's why you learn the game and have a plan if they do hit your credit. Only play ball when they hit your credit.

Americans cannot go to jail for debt that isn't to the IRS so why care?

I don't think it's a huge deal. Pretty sure it's small claims court up to 3k or so.

debt collectors want 130 from me. sent me a letter with my authorization code to pay online. The authorization code doesnt work, tried like 6 different variations. the Ls look like capital I or vice versa.

Story is I used my credit card at an online retailer, transaction completed but third party didnt actually transfer funds from my credit card it paid the retailer themselves then failed to withdraw from me because they arbitrarily put a limit to what i could take out. I didnt notice it because i only used them for that one purchase so i didnt know until i got the letter from debt collector. I emailed the third party telling them what was happening and asking how i could pay and got a automated response. emailed again and got told to phone.

Now im thinking: Could i get a pre paid credit card, register it as shaniquiwa then register online as such and scam the third party for being incompetent and putting my credit score in jeopardy? kikes would deserve it. Im going to have to go down to the post office and mail a check, im probably gonna pay the 3rd party and not the debt collectors though.

op
google credit boards
there are people there that know the techniques
certain states have stronger consumer protections

nah, the junk debt buyers get it for pennies on the dollar. pay for delete is a thing, but you get the agreement that they will delete it for partial or full payment first, THEN pay it.

discourages deadbeats and certain localities are likely to side + award fees for the default judgment, don't take the chance without doing homework.

unlikely, but possible in certain areas.

they have to stop calling if you ask, especially if you ask via certified mail and they won't stop then you can get punitive fines against them.

ramsey is a hack for the impulse challenged

Exactly this. Start watching Dave Ramsey, pay them a fraction of what you owe and get it in writing. Otherwise it goes away in 7 years but your credit will be fucked.

Fuck off, shill.

Don't pay them a fucking thing. OP.

Some dumb bitch that either used to have my phone number or else just gives it out for her goddamn scams out has all kinds of collectors that called me for years. A few of them would accept that she doesn't fucking live here and never has, but some of them just keep calling anyway. For years.

They will never fucking do anything except bother you with phone calls. $1800 is not worth starting any kind of legal proceedings anywhere in the world.

These people are scum that buy debt for pennies on the dollar and then harass anyone they can connect to it in hopes of collecting.

Are you a piece of shit for not paying the people you originally borrowed from? Yes. But at this point both you and the people trying to collect are fucking scum.

even if you pay the debt collector or the third party biller your credit score will still be shit. it'll sit on your credit report as a paid collection and your score will still suck.

look up credit boards and then follow the techniques. certain states like TX have much more stringent rules, but with the debt sale industry and how collectors violate it, you can usually catch them in the web of regulations and get them to forgive the debt because they broke the rules.

>1,800$ for wisdom teeth removal
LOL really? costed me 180$ per teeth wtf mah nigga.

look up the FDCPA

they wont do shit. if its at a debt collector your credit is already fucked which is pretty much the extent of what they can do. people dont go to jail for shit like that. in some states its against the law for debt collectors to even imply you may go to jail. I remember a while back someone who owed ended up suing the debt collectors for harassment and made a few million...what a world.

You know nothing of contract law

if you want real advice and not /pol advice, do the following --

if it's in collections, you're credit is fucked already.

do nothing for seven years from the time the bill was generated (ie. the visit).

if they call you again, do not acknowledge the debt or say to will pay, just hang up.

do not pay any part of the debt.

if you do either of these things, the clock starts back at 7 years.

after 7 years, the debt is absolved and it will be removed from your credit report.

Says the faggot asking for advice on paying off 1800. Not paying it is the nigger thing to do.

What if you were a Texas resident when you acquired the debt but move to a state that garnishes wages? Can they still garnish it or does the Texas Rule still apply to you?

well im in canada so i have the right to contact the credit people and have them write my side of the story at least, not that it sounds good. "i didnt notice that they didnt charge me then wanted their money" is a pretty shitty excuse.

So I can't fix my credit in under 7 years no matter what I pay? God DAMN it, i had debts from like 2010 that I just paid off, wish I had just saved the money

>they wont do shit. if its at a debt collector your credit is already fucked
not necessarily. a debt collector can still sue you. most locales are not favorable for lawsuits though, unless the debt is massive (beyond what OP is talking about).

it's much more likely that OP will be hounded by a junk debt buyer. paying without any research is dumb because as you said, his credit will be fucked anyways.

if he does research however, he can probably get the black mark removed *without* paying the junk debt buyer hounding him, and in a worst case he can try to negotiate a pay for delete, where he agrees to pay a fraction of the amount in agreement for the debtholder to remove all negative references from all consumer reports. This is a last resort though, as if the debtholder doesn't agree, it's back to square one (debtholder hounds OP, OP won't pay, OP still has fucked credit).

Kek. True

piggybacking on this, maybe there's a lawyer in the house, i always wondered what would happen if i took out as many credit cards as possible, bought precious metals (or it could be bitcoins because i know one of you spergs will sperg), what would happen if I just defaulted on the payments and told them to send it to collections? i don't need to worry about my credit for 7 years.

thanks

if you can pay it and it's early, then negotiate a lower payment. if it's been at least 4 years and you don't need credit for anything (ie. you have a car or hours), don't bother.

Not paying your bills is about the most nigger thing you can do, except maybe shooting someone for their shoes. From now on man up and honor your debts like a white person.

i usually agree but this is medical and necessary. they are already making money hand over fist, fuck them.

Credit companies are ran by Jews. It’s the jew’s money. So how is jewing jews for “niggers”?

>Says the faggot asking for advice on paying off 1800. Not paying it is the nigger thing to do.
if it's to a debt collector, the person who lost the money has sold the debt off for 10 cents or less on the dollar. debt collectors are scum and frequently violate the law.

removing collections from your report is not easy, it's time consuming, you lost opportunities in the interim, you consume effort on it.

unsure. if the collector operates in TX, then they're subject to Texas Finance Code sec 392.202 for debt validation.

you would be better served going to creditboards and posting your specific inquiry there - the people there are used to getting through credit repair.

Buy a gun and learn to use it op.

I really had no choice. The tooth was infected as fuck.

found the debt collector

Zero, amount is too small.

They will likley bundle your debt with a bunch of others and sell it to a shittier collection agency.

Find out where the debt agency is located and run in wearing a suicide vest

i really don't care. i'm just giving you advice.

if you don't plan on buying a house or car in the remainder of the 7 years since it's inception. don't pay it and don't acknowledge it ever existed.

are there any (attorneys) in the house that can answer my question.

the problem with collections is that if you look like you have money worth suing over they will do so. consumer companies like equifax and lexisnexis suck up info on how much you make a year. if it looks like you can pay, they will sue. if they think you're making $20,000 a year and you have $60,000 in debt then the lender is going to write it off because garnishing is hopeless.

if you declare bankruptcy you can't easily make the money portable and if you bought a shitload of bitcoin or altcoin a judge is going to see right through that. the credit card is under your SSN so they can see you went to whatever exchange.

what job do you have OP? $1800 sounds steep for a wisdom teeth renewal.

what state and what's your annual income a year?

Fuck it man, how badly do you need a decent (((credit score))) right now? If it isnt a major concern just let the 7 years run out, dont pay anything unless you want the time to start again.

Most states protect dead beats like you. Ignore, file a complaint, send them written notice to fuck off. When you want to fox your credit, tell them to take the nasty mark off your credit score for $400.

Will do

This. After three years, the hit on your credit report isn't even that much for an outstanding collection.

jst work out a payment plan?

>either declare bankruptcy or work out a payment plan. they won't force you to pay it all at once. just work out a plan with them
OR just mail them $1/month, and in the "memo field" write "Good faith payment".

It will stop automated dialers from calling you because technically payment is received.

IF they catch you, and call you out and tell you they "cannot accept this payment" you can turn the discussion around and ask "Can I please have a letter stating that you are refusing payments"

This gets them in a pickle, because most collectors are working FOR the person you own the money to.

Also research "Cease and desist" letter, which you can mail to them as well. They ALWAYS hate that.

Become educated on the fair debt collection act, and the federal privacy act.

t: former loan collector

thanks

Right now job searching. Lost my job over a month ago. I got the tooth removed in Georgia. They originally wanted over $3,000 for all four wisdom teeth but I told them I only need the infected ones out so they removed 2

>Look on the bright side, at least they cant come and knock your teeth out
Its funnier because this is coming from a British person.....

nice, so 1800 months with a ding on your credit report.

fuckin dumb

I have no intentions of buying a house or a new car soon so really none

They won't sue you over $1,200. Just work out a payment plan. If the amount you offer per month isn't enough for them (I suggest offering $10 per month), then tell them "fuck off, then you get nothing."

They'll call back and let you pay whatever you want. Trust me, I've done this before. But you do want to pay them or your credit will look bad. $1,200 isn't that much.

listen to this guy

Fuck the medical goons. They do 15 minutes worth of half assed work and want you to pay like 5k an hour. How come I can't charge them half that as an electrician? Oh, because they can fix prices. Nobody competes in the medical field, and they obscure the cost of everything with copays, cash price, blah blah..
I say fuck'em. Don't pay. They can't do shit because it's not worth their time and what are they really out of? 3 dollars worth of medical supplies?

>Then threaten them with a harassment lawsuit for each phone call they make.
Understanding the fair debt collection act, and the federal privacy act will tell you how often they can call.

Basically, they can call every 2-3 days and leave a message. They can ONLY have 1st party contact 1 time every 7 days....basically you can answer the phone GET THE REP's name, and tell them you are who you are. Tell them if they call within the week, you will involve an attorney and hang up.

And further more, if you didn't have the money to pay for this, then you should have looked for a Christian indigent care dentist to find a way to take advantage of the charity that is available near you.

t. literally a merchant

Matter of fact, I think Obamacare prohibits medical debt from affecting your credit anyway.

This.

As a former OR Tech, I have seen the supply areas. 5k for a titanium screw for ortho use. Bullshit like that, its all inflated.

Truth

Smart.

Big difference between making payments and not.

>lost my job
what was your job
did you previously have health insurance
were you eligible for cobra

my dumbfuck brothers were medicaid eligible and going without insurance because they didn't know better
my schizo aunt is in section 8 housing and too lazy to apply for stamps
her son (my dumbass cousin) wants to get enough income over a summer job where he'll lose his free insulin for his type I diabetes

I'm not saying that you're stupid but are you sure you considered all options? people are often uninformed for medical stuff

Yeah keep refreshing the recency of the debt every month, good idea.

Maybe if you didn't drink a gallon of sugary drinks a day and brushed your teeth once in a while, you wouldn't have infected teeth, you fat, diabetic mongoloid.

i think there were moves by the credit bureaus to do away with this because the insurance problems in the US have been so bad. I think obamacare may have caused them to do this, but it wasn't part of obamacare.

Why dont you get it for free?

>nice, so 1800 months with a ding on your credit report.
I am only telling how to keep them from calling you and to annoy the fuck out of them.

I have NEVER had any medical debt on my credit report. EVER. I too have an unpaid root-canal. My issue was that the dentist fucked up and never cleaned out a cavity before capping it. My tooth rotted under the filling. I refuse to pay for half assed service. It too was nearly a 1600 bill. I never paid a cent, and it was never on my credit.

$30 for a tylenol, that's some perspective

Really? They’ve been calling me more than that

at month 1700, it's on your credit that you're still paying a debt from 1700 months ago, and it certainly doesn't help your score

zero percent chance you'll be sued. If it's a debt collector like you say, it means your dentist already sold the debt to that collector. For example, if you owed the dentist 1,000$ the debt collector bought that debt for maybe 100$ but has the legal right to collect the full 1,000$. You could theoretically make a deal to pay them much less and/or just not pay at all and they won't sue you since it costs more to sue than it does to just bother you with calls.
> t. a lawyer

Tell them to stop calling you. If you hear a peep from them after that, you can sue them. Read the FDCPA.