So we know mecha are impractical in real life, but how about Objects?

So we know mecha are impractical in real life, but how about Objects?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_bunker_buster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on their weight.

Even more impractical.
They run on magical powerplants. Their design is completely flawed.

Magnifying the strengths and weaknesses of late ww2 german tanks by a thousand.

Exceptionally difficult to destroy
Makes a mockery of enemy strongpoints not defended by other objects
Requires hilariously large logisitical support, which is very vulnerable to attack
Cannot hold ground effectively due to lack of numbers
Sabotage is more effective

Im sure there are other cogent points

the most original anime title

guaranteed garbage

>we know mecha are impractical in real life
huh? tanks and guns are impractical?

>how about Objects
God, I don't know where to begin

Do you want to start with the weight, the size, the compressed space, the tremendous amount of maintenance and support, or just the training requirement needed to pilot a machine the size of a mountain?
God, a B-2 plane can only be legally piloted after 20 years of hard training, which means that since its invention, only 544 pilots were hired. Imagine that one

Considering the premise of the show actually undermines the practicality of the Objects, you tell me.

bipedal will just never work. legs are a massive weak point and slow
gonna also get buried by the even more massive concentrated weight on feets

It basically comes down to: If it has legs then it is garbage compared to tanks in reality.

Legs on a big machine are a massive weak point in actual combat.

Objects are actually piloted by genetically engineered and raised pilots.

Legs are shit on military vehicles, but still better than hovercrafting a fucking mega tank.

>So we know mecha are impractical in real life, but how about Objects?
Objects are just the WW2 Maus tank extrapolated towards infinity.

Basically a really heavily armoured vehicle with a lot of firepower.

But you know what we call that? a land Battleship.

The main weakness is the assumption that you are so well protected, that you can absorb enemy punishment safely. That had not been the case for decades. Our ability to destroy had outstripped our ability to defend even since artillery became accurate. Even without using nukes, armoured vehicles just can't take the punishment.

This is why for fiction, there tend to be either forcefields or self regenerating armour. Something that can safely and cheaply negate enemy fire. Without this, Objects can't work.

The bottom line is Objects are a massive investment in resources, and that you put so much of your eggs in that one basket, that it is easy for the enemy to blow you up with focussed firepower that are cheaper.

Even worse then.
Such special pilots are extremely difficult to replace and would find trouble understanding social cues. aka the risk of going awol or backstab

>Relies on applied magic engines
You tell me.

This is basically the whole plot of the anime.

see, that's where you get it wrong

why a (future)tank need to be massive? current tanks are only massive due to engine/cannon/ammo taking alot of space/manpower and armor being heavy
being massive is a fucking defect

i suppose future tanks gonna have some laser/plasma cannon (no ammo), some miniaturized compact fusion engine and some future light alloy
hovering would be no problem

>bipedal will just never work.
That's why you go full spider.

>that's where you get it wrong
I don't see where you disagree with what I said. I am with you in the proposition that giant tanks are not the way to go. But they are the topic of the thread, and that's why my reply referred to them.

I want to fire my main gun in himes entry hatch

>This is basically the whole plot of the anime.
The thing is, Super-weapons were only envisioned by those who are on a disadvantage. Specifically both WW2 Germany and Japan wanted to have super weapons that negates the resource advantage of the Allies.

The argument just doesn't add up, in the end. Artillery had become so powerful by then that even modern tanks wouldn't survive a direct hit, even in the archaic battlefields of WW1. Even traditional fortresses disappeared, and everyone moved underground because hiding your location became the only real defence.

Making something huge, just turns it into a nicer target. Battleships were basically floating Objects, and they are now gone for a reason.

Not that user, but if giant tanks have point defense lasers that can one shot almost all forms of conventional armored units, then it really doesn't matter whatsoever.

this is why Zoids is the best anime ever.

>Not that user, but if giant tanks have point defense lasers that can one shot almost all forms of conventional armored units, then it really doesn't matter whatsoever.
That wouldn't stop an artillery shell.

It would if said laser has the range of thousands of KM and has a supercomputer backing up its aim.

>It would if said laser has the range of thousands of KM and has a supercomputer backing up its aim.
Not how lasers work. You would need destructive power equivalent to the classic death ray that deletes solid mass. And if that was the case, then Objects would be sliced in half by any such laser in the enemy's hands.

The laser can one-shot armored units. Just damaging the shell in flight itself is enough to make the shell miss.

Land battleships only work if you have stupid sci-fi tech like gravity manipulation and energy fields.

>The laser can one-shot armored units. Just damaging the shell in flight itself is enough to make the shell miss.
You don't seem to understand that solid artillery shells aren't missiles. If they are on target, you are not going to stop it.

Jesus fucking christ. You can't be this much of an idiot.

What if you shot a hypersonic mini missile with a fission warhead at it.

Checkmate atheist.

>What if you shot a hypersonic mini missile with a fission warhead at it.
Then the enemy just forced you to spend more defending its cheap artillery shell. Then the artillery fires again. And again. Until you run out of missiles that are multiple times more valuable than the artillery.

And then you die.

Do you really want giant balls of metal that can be destroyed by throwing sand at it on the battlefield?

What if I shot a hypersonic missile with a fission warhead at the guy shooting artillery at me after I located him from his first shot.

Checkmate theist.

That's gen 2, Gen 1 are the general purpose Objects that's made to end conventional war and would not have that silly little weakness.

>What if I shot a hypersonic missile with a fission warhead at the guy shooting artillery at me after I located him from his first shot.
>Checkmate theist.
You are still using a missile more valuable than the entire artillery piece and crew you killed. You will lose the war because you are basically burning money.

This.

A weapon like this would just be extremely vulnerable to sabotage via defense in depth tactics.

Well, yes. That's pretty much what the two MC does. But to be fair, Objects have theoretically infinite power, super-advance propulsion system that lets them move like jet-fighters, bullshit superlasers as point defense and a fleshy supercomputer capable of accurately tracking thousands of targets at once. It's similar to tanks if tanks are BOLO's.

You're an idiot. Right now laser can stop artillery shell.

What idk if they can destroy/stop APFSDS shell and Railgun shells.

Why did people just build projectiles made of the same material so that they could destroy them?

They have completely exposed guns and propulsion devices. Even if your conventional weaponry can't destroy the big object itself, they would be able to render it completely useless.

They've got laser based point defense just for that kind of thing.

And first gen Objects actually survived being nuked.

Did you even watch the show?

>And first gen Objects actually survived being nuked.
Which they shouldn't have. This thread asks if Objects make sense, not if they work by cartoon rules. And thus the nuke would have ended the fight.

>Did you even watch the show?

God no. Who do you think I am, a man with no taste?

>survived a nuke
That plot point was utterly retarded as usual. But then nothing stops you from nuking it again.

It was half melted down. There's no way it was still operational.

How can anyone enjoy such a shitty design? HOfags truly have shit taste

>That plot point was utterly retarded as usual. But then nothing stops you from nuking it again.
Especially since nukes are so much cheaper than an Object. The only reason nukes aren't used often is due to overkill. But an Object justifies multiple nukes just because of how expensive it is.

Super weapons are not efficient, and they never were.

The biggest fucking problem with all war modern and future is that we already have nukes. NUKES. We're at the endgame. War anime are so phenomenally retarded. Like in certain Gundam series were if you shoot the wrong part of it you risk a nuclear explosion and how pilots end up dying because they can't fire at the enemy because they know! For anything to be viable it would have to be a hard counter to nukes and even then nukes will always be easier and get easier to make than whatever the fuck you're dicking around with.

I'm going to write an anime where the protagonists can save themselves from nukes by crossing their fingers.
Just to spite you.

>General Atom watched the artificial sun born from humanity's madness
>his tiny devoid of goodness eyes protected by the glass basked in the infernal light, for he knows the shounen and his friends have perished
>now nothing stands before him and the destruction of the world
>for a moment the mushroom cloud trembles
>"-wwhat?"
>he must have been imagining things, it's impossible for something like this to ha-
>"General! Look!" His assistant yelled
>"M-masaka!"
>the gigantic radioactive cloud of heated dust was split in the middle, letting the natural skies to cast their light like pillars of hope onto the tortured earth, and there, a katana wielding boy and his friends stood
>"i-impossible... to protect yourself from a nuclear blast by cutting it with a sword! IMPOSSIBLE!"

This is how nukes work, prove me wrong.

God damn I thought that was the Toejam & Earl ship from the tumbnail

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_bunker_buster

The problem is that Objects aren't real and we only have the feats presented to us in the light novel. I don't think people realize just how much more technologically advanced the people in HO. Trying to say 'This is how it should works in real life' is incredibly stupid since we have nothing like that in real life.

Nukes are only as good as the delivery system for it. You can't nuke something if it never gets there in the first place. Missiles? Shoot it down. Bomb? Shoot the plane or even the bomb before it reaches the target. Seriously, there's a damn good reason why the SDI wasn't allowed to proceed.

>The problem is that Objects aren't real and we only have the feats presented to us in the light novel.
And by that same reasoning bipedal Gundams are the best thing ever.
It's just that both Objects and gundams require lots of handwaves and SCIENCE* to function as advertised.

The logic is that, if you have the tech to make moving impenetrable fortresses feasable, then you should have the technology to create tanks that can take it down in one shot and insignificant cost

>I don't think people realize just how much more technologically advanced the people in HO.
No one is doubting that Objects are high tech. What we ARE doubting, is the belief that defensive weapons are somehow many times more effective than offensive weapons of the same tech level. Every single piece of tech on an Object, can be used AGAINST it with horrifying ease, efficiency, and low cost.

No fucking shit. But that's just how it works in their world. We can laugh at mecha's all we want, but if we have something that can move as fast and hit as hard as Gundams, our targeting/communication systems fucked over by Minovsky particles, and have psychic Newtype bullshit in real life, we wouldn't be laughing at it. But we don't, so are we can say is how bad a fictional piece of technology is with our own fictional idea of it.

>But that's just how it works in their world.
I'll refer you to the OP

This a no fun allowed thread isnt it. No HO here I guess

The power source is huge, that's why. Only an object is large enough to house the nigh-infinite, high output power source of theirs. It's like asking why don't we have tank with lasers and railguns. Because we don't have a reliable and portable enough power source to put them on tanks.

Their defensive weapon is a high powered laser, in which people in real life would agree, is the game-changer that would spell the death of the modern military doctrine.

It's not a bad thing, usually half of a normal HO thread is literally just an image dump.
And the volume that just came out is about ace combat loli anyways, there won't be any objects involved.

>Their defensive weapon is a high powered laser, in which people in real life would agree, is the game-changer that would spell the death of the modern military doctrine.
A high powered laser that would be able to easily kill an Object before the Object can react.

I actually wanted to have more ace combat loli damn

>The power source is huge,
That doesn't make the armor impenetrable.

you are effectively increasing the attack surface
same goes for mechas
the most effective weapon is swarm of aerial vehicles

I see your flock of drones, and I raise you an army of hackers.

And I'll refer to you about how real life doesn't have all the technology needed for an actual Object. Real life doesn't have their stupidly overpowered, super-efficient and relatively portable JPlevelMHD Reactor aka the bottleneck of real life technology.

>The power source is huge, that's why
Physics does not work that way, user.
The Object was not made to house a huge powerhouse. No it has a powerhouse because it is huge.
The cubic law in unforgiving once you reach over 10meters. And if you have the technology to power a gargantuan object, then you have the technology to power tanks loaded with super artileries and are powered by the energy. Except it was stored and distributed in batteries and the energy powerplant stays guarded in base

>And I'll refer to you about how real life doesn't have all the technology needed for an actual Object. Real life doesn't have their stupidly overpowered, super-efficient and relatively portable JPlevelMHD Reactor aka the bottleneck of real life technology.
The same reactor that can just be put into a laser gun platform, which can be easily concealed and fire upon an Object that can't defend itself in time?

That's why they have that armor of theirs. Only another laser powered by the reactor of theirs is enough to punch through it. At which point, you now have two options, a stationary laser or a mobile one, and I'm betting on the one that's not a sitting target in a duel between the two.

Their armor can be damaged, but requires nuke-level strength to do so. Problem, as mentioned already, is the numerous PD lasers that can shoot down missiles, tanks, jet-figthers, bombs, shells, and everything in between from 10 to 100's of KM's away.

It's not the only bottleneck. The material itself would be torn apart by the strain of the machine activity.
You have your super power source. You are still lacking your super unbreakable building material.
Then you lack your super unbreakable pilot.

There is always that contrarian weeb who would insist on animelogic

>Only another laser powered by the reactor of theirs is enough to punch through it.
No, user, that's not how it works. If the armour is so strong, then you can build projectiles with that armour and thus resist it being shot down by point defence.

Real life, probably no. HO-verse where the elite pilots and the numerous advanced sensors that allows them to detect the heat signature before it fires and have the reaction time to aim-dodge it and counter-fire with its mountain-side melting fuckhuge laser? Probably yes.

It isn't as easy to shoot down an ICBM as you think. Which is the sole reason to why nuclear peace is a thing.
There are simple too many ICBMs capable of firing across the globe that you'd never be able to counter it.

>Real life, probably no. HO-verse where the elite pilots and the numerous advanced sensors that allows them to detect the heat signature before it fires and have the reaction time to aim-dodge it and counter-fire with its mountain-side melting fuckhuge laser? Probably yes.
Why the hell do you assume that my offensive laser platform wouldn't have equivalent technology to shoot first?

It would be trivial to mask that shit.
Your object has lots of armor, but its sensors need to be outside of it.

The acceleration for that would kill the pilot.

The armor is strong because's it has multiple layers. One layer of their armor made into projectile isn't enough to do shit, nevermind the fact that you still need to be able to target and hit it before it does the same to you and it's moving around like a highly mobile jet-fighter.

>retrofit a railgun on a missile cruiser
>lob cheap, uninterceptable strikes at the object from 100+ miles away
>no chance of retaliation because the enemy dumped all their resources into a meme and have no way to spot for a counterattack

It's not difficult to shoot down jet fighters though. It's even less difficult to shoot down a jet fighter the size of an object.

>human pilots

Already obsolete in our world

Much less retarded than humanoid mechas.

Again, real life, sure, it will never work. But HO-verse has elite pilots that can repeatedly target thousands of targets at once with ease.

Because lasers are rather noticeable before it fires especially if it's of the mountain-melting kind?

And the problem is getting to the sensors, which has 10 to 100's of KM's of PD lasers protecting it.

Well, HO's elite pilots are kinda bullshit like that. The MC nearly died while inside a moving Object while the elite pilot was literally singing like an idol the whole time.

>That's why they have that armor of theirs. Only another laser powered by the reactor of theirs is enough to punch through it. At which point, you now have two options, a stationary laser or a mobile one, and I'm betting on the one that's not a sitting target in a duel between the two.
This is why the show is retarded. A thermonuclear bomb's fireball is hotter than the center of the sun by orders of magnitude.
There is no known material that we know of that wouldn't melt in such heat and an object in the show takes a direct hit.

>Much less retarded than humanoid mechas.
Technically HALF as retarded. But still retarded. Being spherical gives it maximum armour to surface area. But it still ends up a "battleship", an obsolete concept before WW2 even ended.

It's a jet-fighter that can move as fast in any direction on a dime.

>Because lasers are rather noticeable before it fires especially if it's of the mountain-melting kind?
Your gigantic Object is an easier target and can be hit from further away for that reason.

Gen1 objects are pretty much impervious to anything non object you throw at them.

There is actually one of the older objects specialized for anti infantry battles appearing later. Just thinking about it makes MC's piss themselves.

Gen2 are vulnerable because they are too specialized at fighting objects.

they are heavily impractical

Objects still have human pilots though.

You don't get to just ignore the problems with the human component and use "elite" as the justification every time.

>Because lasers are rather noticeable before it fires especially if it's of the mountain-melting kind?
Lasers do not have to be visible to the human eye, the only reason they are is because it would be pretty boring to watch a film where you couldn't see the lasers.

>Gen1 objects are pretty much impervious to anything non object you throw at them.
It costs many times more than a nuke and can be disabled by a nuke. That's far from impervious.

And you can shoot down the bomb before it hits. Why are you not understanding it? A nuke is only as strong as its delivery system. If it can be shot down before it remotely gets to its effective range, then the nuke is rendered useless.

Objects are giant because reactors powering them are just that huge.

>Being spherical gives it maximum armour to surface area.
Wrong. Spheres are a meme. I'm not joking.
Spheres mean you offer the greatest possible target in every direction, at a 90° angle which is the worst angle possible.
City walls in the past were built in star shape for this simple reason.
Forget spheres.

Did you not read my last part? It was hit and kept on trucking.
A thermonuclear device is many times more powerful than the lasers that destroy the objects in the first place.

Except there already exist systems capable of that.